Is LANing and Split-Screening dead?

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Edited By melcene

So admittedly, when I was younger and heard people talk about LAN parties, I thought, "what a bunch of nerds."  I didn't realize that when my husband and I (and occasionally friends) played Diablo over TCP/IP, that was basically the same thing.  Or played other games over our local network rather than playing online.  I guess because we didn't fit the impression I always got of what a LAN party was.  Even when we had about half a dozen of us all set up on our rigs in the basement...  
(Before there are any basement jokes, this is OUR basement as in, my husband and I, as in we own the house.  The computer room had gotten too small for myself, him, our kid, and the occasional guest.  That and the basement doesn't get anywhere near as warm as the old computer room.) 
So anyway yeah, like half a dozen of us, maybe more, all playing our rigs, WAAAGHing in Warhammer Online when it first came out.  Tons of fun. 
Borderlands, playing that on local network on the PCs, or playing split screen with the hubby.  
Split screening CoD, Halo, GR with some friends. 
Is all this dead?

When I see people talk about playing with others, it's always online.  People don't talk often about playing split-screen with their buddy.  Even less often do we hear people talking about playing over local networks.  It just seems to be a shame.  This was brought to mind by the Borderlands on PC thread, because people were complaining about playing online through Gamespy.  I wouldn't know.  If I played, it was with the hubby over local network.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By melcene

So admittedly, when I was younger and heard people talk about LAN parties, I thought, "what a bunch of nerds."  I didn't realize that when my husband and I (and occasionally friends) played Diablo over TCP/IP, that was basically the same thing.  Or played other games over our local network rather than playing online.  I guess because we didn't fit the impression I always got of what a LAN party was.  Even when we had about half a dozen of us all set up on our rigs in the basement...  
(Before there are any basement jokes, this is OUR basement as in, my husband and I, as in we own the house.  The computer room had gotten too small for myself, him, our kid, and the occasional guest.  That and the basement doesn't get anywhere near as warm as the old computer room.) 
So anyway yeah, like half a dozen of us, maybe more, all playing our rigs, WAAAGHing in Warhammer Online when it first came out.  Tons of fun. 
Borderlands, playing that on local network on the PCs, or playing split screen with the hubby.  
Split screening CoD, Halo, GR with some friends. 
Is all this dead?

When I see people talk about playing with others, it's always online.  People don't talk often about playing split-screen with their buddy.  Even less often do we hear people talking about playing over local networks.  It just seems to be a shame.  This was brought to mind by the Borderlands on PC thread, because people were complaining about playing online through Gamespy.  I wouldn't know.  If I played, it was with the hubby over local network.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

It isn't all dead just less used certainly. 
I don't live in the same city as mot of my friends who play video games so playing over xbox live is a great help to keep in touch and have some fun together. 

But when we do hang out in the same town, and are gaming, we do it split screen.  
I think the lack of LAN is definitely a PC game trend that may trickle down to console games eventually.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Doctorchimp

Well I do play splitscreen with roommates still. 

But why would I play splitscreen with a friend if we can both be on our own TV? Sure if he doesn't have the game we'll splitscreen sometimes, but if you have the choice why would you? 

As far as LAN parties go, I live close enough to my friends and my internet's so fast why would I go through the trouble of lugging a  machine over there? Whether it's a console or my PC it's seems rather pointless, then you have to set-up a room...just to play games? If a dozen friends get together sure a game might get played but other things will happen that makes a room full of fairly expensive equipment all lined up a fool's errand.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By melcene
@Doctorchimp: I guess in both cases, it depends... what sizes are the TVs?  But I see your point on splitscreen.  The only reason I can see to use is to not have to go through online matchmaking crap or other such stuff depending on the game.   As for the LAN parties... I do see what you mean about that too, especially today with programs like Vent... but it's just not the same as all being in the same room, especially for communication purposes.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By meteora

LAN certainly isn't dead, but it has decreased in popularity. I still find my experience more enjoyable when I have friends around while playing.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah it's probably dead, unless you're on a nintendo console, then... split screen away, I guess. 

I mean a lot of that stuff IS included, but is becoming more and more downplayed. Co-op games are frequently online only, for example. It gets frustrating for co-op, but I can't imagine playing a multiplayer shooter with just 4 people anymore either.  

But if you think about it, having your own screen is way better in the end. I just can'T get friends to buy the games I wanna buy for co-op. 

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Well I don't have as many friends as I used to in high school, so gaming splitscreen has become less frequent.
Which is crap, because I love it!
I enjoyed the Reach beta together with a friend on the couch earlier this year and I have fond memories of playing Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1&2 with 3 buddies splitscreen...

*sigh*

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By FirePrince

It's the only way me and my friends play videogames togheter-if the game has no lan,fuck it. 
SO IT IS NOT DEAD.IT WILL NEVER BE! 

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By RsistncE

LAN setups aren't going anywhere anytime soon seeing as how all major BYOC events, or tournaments, are on a LAN. At this point in time there just isn't a fast and affordable enough internet infrastructure that could handle like 1000+ people in the same room trying to play games with each other. And even if there was, LAN is just so much more simple and effective. The only thing trying to stop LAN setups is douche companies like Blizzard. So, no, LAN isn't dying, but there are companies actively trying to kill it.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By jasta

LAN's are not quite dead yet but its popularity will never be like it used to.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp
@melcene said:
" @Doctorchimp: I guess in both cases, it depends... what sizes are the TVs?  But I see your point on splitscreen.  The only reason I can see to use is to not have to go through online matchmaking crap or other such stuff depending on the game.   As for the LAN parties... I do see what you mean about that too, especially today with programs like Vent... but it's just not the same as all being in the same room, especially for communication purposes. "
I play on a 52 inch HDTV. So it's more than fine when the roommates want to hop on Reach campaign co-op or some other game. Even then if I can I'd rather have the whole screen. Besides when it's that rare occasion and everybody in the house wants to play games, our go to game is super street fighter IV anyway.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

it is kind of dead. me and my friend play ps3 together through internet. me and him connect to the router and play in a party. we have other friends play across towns/city.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By ReyGitano

I use to play games split-screen all the time, but I have to admit, I'm surprised nowadays when I actually see someone playing split-screen. I just can't accept half a screen anymore when I have perfectly good internet.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SSully

I was thinking the same thing. 
Me and some friends were playing time splitters and it made me really sad that most games just ignore splitscreen now of days.  
I am honestly pumped for Twisted Metal for its split screen alone. Its not like its not in demand, so many people have N64s up at my university just to play local multiplayer games. It shocked me at first, but i understand why they do it 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I would say that LAN still has its place, but pure 4-player local Split Screen? No. Unless you are playing on a Nintendo console, Split Screen is dead.

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By velucyraptor

Cannot even begin to express the love and nostalgia I feel for LAN but I'd agree that its popularity will never be what it used to. Definitely a shame, nngh the atmosphere, lugging your desktop over to a house that's just exploded full of people setting up makeshift desk surfaces was half the fun

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

LAN can't die.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By scarace360

We still have lan partys. well me and about 9 other guys do. We have it every wednesday.

helios1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By helios1337

The main reason for LAN gaming for me was everyone had dialup.  DSL/Cable would not be available for several years. So if you wanted to play a game without a terrible ping and communicate with more than text chat, LAN party it was.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

Simply put, they're dying because they don't make game companies enough money as just online. At least give me my split-screen! If your multiplayer heavy game doesn't have split-screen, you've done something wrong; go back and try again.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

I still play plenty of splitscreen or otherwise offline multiplayer.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By nick_verissimo

In my case it isn't dead.  When I'm back home my and friends and I only play games together when we're in the same room, otherwise, we don't play anything together.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Dead? No. In decline? Yes.