Is Retro Gamer Magazine worth $123.87 for a subscription?

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

This is more geared towards Giant Bomb users that live in the UK.  I don't really know how I came across this, but Retro Gamer looks like a pretty sweat magazine, and I was going to happily subscribe to it until I saw how much it would cost for a US resident to subscribe.  £80 for thirteen issues, which according to my calculations (which very well might be wrong) that comes out to be $123.87 US.  So needless to say this was a pretty major kill-joy, seeing as I had been researching the mag and was getting excited about the retro gaming goodness.  So for the time being, I can't afford to get a subscription.  So I'm asking if anyone on GB reads Retro Gamer, and if it's worth the crazy amount of money that there asking for it?

Check out some of these awesome covers!  A magazine that has After Burner on it is automatically a winner in my book.     

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Heartagram

Never heard of this magazine but the covers are fantastic remind me of old EGM (single tear)

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By bjorno

they have to make money some how!

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pinkshley1

I haven't read it, but I would have to say no magazine on earth is worth that much.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

For a whole year? Heck no. You're nuts, dude. No magazine is worth that much money, man. That's what the internet is for!

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

How much do magazine subscriptions usually go for across the pond?  It would cost £51.90 if I lived in the UK, which is like $80 i think.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik

It's actually a really good magazine that's getting better all the time, and I've got every issue bar two. I like that it's print, merely for the fact that it harks back to the era that it's pimping.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I read them every time I visit Borders. Like Terrorizer, there should be some special US offer. If you have a local Borders store, find it.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire
@ThePhantomnaut: They sell them at Borders?!
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@super_mario_john said:
" @ThePhantomnaut: They sell them at Borders?! "
I was reading the Metroid issue at Borders a while back.
JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire
@ThePhantomnaut: Thats awesome!  I'm definitely going to check it out now. 
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Borders, you say? It does look like a nice magazine. They also have a podcast, though I've never listened to it.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Seconds after posting I looked at the RSS Feed. Their podcast lasted for all of four episodes.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By penguindust

Most magazines subscriptions can be had for less than $20 in the US (look it up on Amazon), so this is definitely overpriced even if you lived in the UK and didn't have to pay overseas shipping.   But, breaking it down, it costs about $10 an issue.   If you are okay with that, and are very passionate about old games and the history of their development, then it's worth it.  I can't see it since when I'm curious about something like that, I use the internet.  Are you a collector?  That'd probably make a difference, too.  

I found the game listed on Amazon as well.  RETRO GAMER SUBSCRIPTION

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By turbomonkey138

haha pay me 20 dollars less and ill mail em to ya

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By EpicSteve

I haven't seen the magazine myself, so I don't know who awesome they may be. I'm sure you can find a good website out there dedicated to this kind of material.

Malc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Malc

I live in the UK and buy Retro Gamer every month. It really is the best retro magazine out there written by very informative guys who love retro. That sort of passion can't be found on any internet site (at least for now). 

They are a small team of writers who live in the UK, and I don't think they have a massive fan base from America, so it's subscription only for you guys, and I can understand how frustrating that is for some people.  

On the website NTSC-uk, A few of the writers are a frequent to the forums part of the website and mainly in the 'Retro Gaming' thread. If you or anyone likes to talk about Retro, there is a brilliant little community there who love old games. And even the writers of the magazine can be found posting there. 

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Godwind

Their Magazines are HUGE, hence why it is so expensive.  I've read the magazine in person.  It really goes in a lot of detail about the history of gaming.  Keep in mind, if you aren't interested in the History of video games, this magazine isn't for you.

When I saw the price in person, I remember the cover price to be $20.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Willy105
@Fragstoff said:
" I didn't know people paid for mag. subscriptions anymore, especially not gaming mags. isn't it just like the internet, but way shittier? "
Magazines usually are easier to read and offer more detail, as well as lasting more.
ahab88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ahab88

We carried it a while back when I worked at Barnes and Noble. I would read it on my lunch breaks. Amazing magazine and I miss it a lot. Worth the money? Probably not, but great nonetheless.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

Well a magazine that's reporting on old games shouldn't be THAT expensive. I mean what's there to learn that isn't out there? I'd rather spend that amount of money on old Nintendo Power mags, and get tips for those old games haha.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#21  Edited By citizenkane

No magazine subscription is worth $123.87.

Sinatra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sinatra

I never heard of that magazine but I would not pay 123.87 for a subscription. 

Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If there was ever a magazine I would pay 123$ for a subscription for this is it. 

I cant afford it right now. I hope that maybe they release a large phonebook sized book with all their issues in it down the line when I can afford it.

Malc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Malc

Retro Gamer costs £5 in England, which would equate to roughly $7.99 in the US. Is that price in line with most other off the shelf American video game magazines?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater
$123? You probably shouldn't. For as awesome as it sounds, no magazine is worth that much.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks

I've read a couple of issues and like it. it''s a good magazine for retro loving enthusiasts. 

Malc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Malc

Just to let everyone know that there is a Retro Gamer app on itunes for the iphone/itouch that acts as an e-reader for their magazine. You can download every issue they have ever done for a cheaper price than buying the mag in a shop. Here is the link to the app: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/retro-gamer-magazine/id345294619?mt=8    
i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By i69edUrGpa

That seems a little pricy, bro

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Edge is about 10 dollars more than that, which I just got my  issue this week. As for retro, I can't say either way unless you really enjoy retro games, which unless your emulating your way there- is an expensive hobby.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sabata

True to actual retro games, that magazine subscription costs far too much for not a lot of content.

mikebevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mikebevan

Guys, Retro Gamer is currently doing a special offer for US/Canadian readers for new subs at $80 US for 13 issues, go here 
 https://imagine.subscribeonline.co.uk/all-titles/retro-gamer
 and use the promotional code 'CLASSIC' for the offer. Works out at just over 6 bucks an issue delivered this way, cheaper than B&N or Borders, gotta be worth it...

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By stonyman65

Damn.   And I thought $50 for 12 issues of Playboy's Special Edition was expensive.

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Brockly46

would have to come with the games in the magazine for that price

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

If it really is sold at a high prices, I could see it going out of business. Fast.  Who is the target audience that can pay so much anyway?  The Japanese?

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By frankxiv

wikipedia magazine: only $300 a year

mikebevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mikebevan

Really - like $6 bucks an issue is too pricey for each issue with shipping? That's cheaper than it is off the shelves in the UK. 

It's a niche magazine guys, with very little advertising and packed with unique and varied content (I know, having produced a bit of it myself how much work is involved...)  
If your'e into retro, your bang-to-buck ratio is unparalleled anywhere else in print or on the web.
btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By btman

no.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By nintendoeats

I loved this mag before they changed publishers (I think I have about half of the issues from that period).

I buy a new one overy once in a while, but I find that it has lost most of its personality, and tend to cover alot of things that I am just not interested in. I guess other people might like it, but for me it just isn't the same as the fantastic originals.

So in essence, I wouldn't spend that much on the rag in its current form, but you should really pick up a copy first and see what you think. There certainly isn't anything else quite like it...