Is WiiWare a Gimmick?

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Edited By Tireyo

Well, before I get to the main point I would like to ask ya'll a question.  Do ya'll like me sending wall comments saying that I have responded to your comments?  Feel free to put your responses in this blog.  I would also like to remind that if you are my official friend here at GiantBomb will get to see my special list of games if you request it from me, and I will send it to you through a PM.  If you are not an official friend of mine and request it, then you’ll have to send me a friend request or vice versa to see it!  I can’t send everyone a list!  The other blog was sorta going everywhere, so I posted this again as a reminder.  I think that ya'll will pretty much know my interests in games once and if you see my list of games.  I really am going to slow down on the blogs once all the schools and colleges here get out from Spring Break.  I'm not looking forward to it, but I'll be ready to go back and wait for Summer Break!

No Caption Provided
To the Point:  WiiWare is a creative way to bring in new games through download, and it's an open door for little videogame companies. Virtual Console is a way to play or experience old games that you might of missed or go back to.

I don't think that Nintendo takes WiiWare seriously. There are some titles that are worth your money, but there are many WiiWare titles that are just crap.  Many Virtual Console titles put WiiWare to shame.

I don't think that WiiWare has reached its full potential.  Is WiiWare a Gimmick, or turning into one? What do ya'll have to say about it?

Other Stuff:  Do ya'll know or like Fred?  If you don't know him, click the link if you dare! LOL! Har Har! Hehe! Hoho! Haha! Yuk Yuk Yuk!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9MA0eW8yyw

Well, any questions? comments? Perhaps I'll answer them!  Well I'll see you all later and enjoy the rest of the week!

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tireyo

Well, before I get to the main point I would like to ask ya'll a question.  Do ya'll like me sending wall comments saying that I have responded to your comments?  Feel free to put your responses in this blog.  I would also like to remind that if you are my official friend here at GiantBomb will get to see my special list of games if you request it from me, and I will send it to you through a PM.  If you are not an official friend of mine and request it, then you’ll have to send me a friend request or vice versa to see it!  I can’t send everyone a list!  The other blog was sorta going everywhere, so I posted this again as a reminder.  I think that ya'll will pretty much know my interests in games once and if you see my list of games.  I really am going to slow down on the blogs once all the schools and colleges here get out from Spring Break.  I'm not looking forward to it, but I'll be ready to go back and wait for Summer Break!

No Caption Provided
To the Point:  WiiWare is a creative way to bring in new games through download, and it's an open door for little videogame companies. Virtual Console is a way to play or experience old games that you might of missed or go back to.

I don't think that Nintendo takes WiiWare seriously. There are some titles that are worth your money, but there are many WiiWare titles that are just crap.  Many Virtual Console titles put WiiWare to shame.

I don't think that WiiWare has reached its full potential.  Is WiiWare a Gimmick, or turning into one? What do ya'll have to say about it?

Other Stuff:  Do ya'll know or like Fred?  If you don't know him, click the link if you dare! LOL! Har Har! Hehe! Hoho! Haha! Yuk Yuk Yuk!!

Well, any questions? comments? Perhaps I'll answer them!  Well I'll see you all later and enjoy the rest of the week!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

I agree with you that the Wiiware has a lot of unused potential. I don't see how that would make it in any way gimmicky, though.   o_o

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tireyo

Meowayne:  I just hope that they will do something to gather more attention to WiiWare.  There really hasn't been too many good games for WiiWare.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Meowayne

Well, how many have you played? I'm not that into Wiiware, but I can think of a few very popular and very good titles from the top of my head. World of Goo. Tetris. Bomberman. StrongBad. Lost Winds. There are more but I forgot the names. It's not been around for that long, and good titles are released pretty regularly.

True, thinking of the fact that this is a platform without pressure from the GRAFIX!!1 group, and with very little publishing costs and a large userbase, which should be perfect for indie developers and their awesome, original games.. one could get sad at what is actually there.

But it's not like it's bad or anything.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

There have been many great titles. Lost Winds, Tetris Party, World of Goo, My Life as a King, Onslaught, Bomberman Blast, Mega Man 9, three Art Style games, Toki Tori, Maboshi, Lit, Evasive Space, Bubble Bobble Plus, the Strongbad episodes, and more.

There also are several upcoming potential gems like Swords & Soldiers, Last Flight, Harvest Moon: Ranch Store, Gardens of Zen, Cave Story, Rainbow Islands, Night Game, and more.

Availability may vary depending on region, I don't think Bubble Bobble Plus is in Europe yet (DAMMIT), but most good ones get released everywhere eventually, with a few weeks difference. WiiWare has been gaining momentum all the time.

The problems lie elsewhere but this isn't the topic for that, heh.

The games are all low budget on it, so I don't expect most see a large profit, or any advertising whatsoever. Why would Nintendo advertise others games if they're not confident enough to advertise them on their own? Besides, it's easy enough to check what's new by just opening the shop channel, and there's the odd trailer in the Nintendo channel. What else should Nintendo do? Launch their own games on there and overshadow everything having developers whine more about lack of profit for third parties? >_>

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Meowayne said:
"Well, how many have you played? I'm not that into Wiiware, but I can think of a few very popular and very good titles from the top of my head. World of Goo. Tetris. Bomberman. StrongBad. Lost Winds. There are more but I forgot the names. It's not been around for that long, and good titles are released pretty regularly. True, thinking of the fact that this is a platform without pressure from the GRAFIX!!1 group, and with very little publishing costs and a large userbase, which should be perfect for indie developers and their awesome, original games.. one could get sad at what is actually there. But it's not like it's bad or anything."
Not really, that'd be XBL my friend....
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Meowayne

XBLA is awesome, but I don't see where it's superior to Wiiware, potential-wise.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, XBLA doesn't have the tiny file size per game limit (40MB for WiiWare, it was initially 50MB for XBLA but it was increased a LOT). But that's for another topic! WiiWare is great, too. I look forward to many releases and have enjoyed several games on it, there's something for everyone.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tireyo

Meowayne said:

"Well, how many have you played? I'm not that into Wiiware, but I can think of a few very popular and very good titles from the top of my head. World of Goo. Tetris. Bomberman. StrongBad. Lost Winds. There are more but I forgot the names. It's not been around for that long, and good titles are released pretty regularly. True, thinking of the fact that this is a platform without pressure from the GRAFIX!!1 group, and with very little publishing costs and a large userbase, which should be perfect for indie developers and their awesome, original games.. one could get sad at what is actually there. But it's not like it's bad or anything."

I played Tetris Party and Block Breaker Deluxe.  I heard that too many WiiWare titiles are too cheap for their own good.  Some are considered too short, too corney, and gimmicky.  Then as you know, some turns into alot!  So I pretty much posted this blog to find out what the people here think about the situation!

So, I own two WiiWare games and seen previews and comments on other WiiWare titles!

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tireyo

Al3xand3r:  You're pretty much flexible on games!  The Nintendo Channel is one of my favorite channels released!

Al3xand3r, SmugDarkLoser and Meowayne: I don't know much on the XBLA.  I guess I'm too focused on Nintendo!

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Mushir

I demand World of Goo 2!

World of Goo did amazingly well on WiiWare so there really isn't no reason for them not to make a sequel. Or something completely different, but with a similar art-style. I really liked the visuals of World of Goo and I really don't want them to take it away in a new game.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tireyo

Twilight: I think that with games like World of Goo should offer downloadable content, which includes more levels and content!

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mushir
Tireyo643 said:
"

Twilight: I think that with games like World of Goo should offer downloadable content, which includes more levels and content!

"
Yea that could work. Hasn't been done on WiiWare before I believe. Would be interesting to see how it would work.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tireyo

Twilight:  I think it has actually!  If I'm not mistaken Space Invaders Get Even, and My Life as a King has added content!

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mushir
Tireyo643 said:
"Twilight:  I think it has actually!  If I'm not mistaken, Space Invaders Get Even, and My Life as a King has added content!"
Oh. Well Im not really the person thats up to date with WiiWare so I wouldn't know about that.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tireyo

Twilight: Don't worry about it!  You know now, don't you? :D

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gunswordfist

I don't think WiiWare is a gimmick at all and this is coming from a guy who thinks the Wii itself is a gimmick. If WiiWare is allowing games like Cave Story Wii to come in then it's fulfilling its potential IMO

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

The Wii is a gimmick so ostensibly so is everything related to the console.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Meowayne

Take your system wars someplace else. These parts, you just make yourself look stupid.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tireyo
HandsomeDead said:
"The Wii is a gimmick so ostensibly so is everything related to the console."
It's a shame you think that.

gunswordfist said:
"I don't think WiiWare is a gimmick at all and this is coming from a guy who thinks the Wii itself is a gimmick. If WiiWare is allowing games like Cave Story Wii to come in then it's fulfilling its potential IMO"
WiiWare isn't bad, it's just overcrowded with alot of not so great titles.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead
Tireyo643 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
It's a shame you think that."
I've had one since day one and i'm still waiting to be proved otherwise.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tireyo

HandsomeDead: Maybe one day there will be something for you.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crunchUK
HandsomeDead said:
Given that it manages backwards compatibility FAR FAR FAR better than either of it's 2 competitiors....
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead
Tireyo643 said:
"HandsomeDead: Maybe one day there will be something for you."
I hope so, I really do. I can't really see it happening though besides for No More Heroes 2.

crunchUK said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Given that it manages backwards compatibility FAR FAR FAR better than either of it's 2 competitiors...."
....and you're getting at what...?
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tireyo

crunchUK:  It's true that Wii is selling better than the other two!  I really don't know if that means if it's better than other systems, but it just depends on the individual persons interests I guess.  People already know that I'm mostly involved with Nintendo, so I'm mostly gonna stay with Nintendo because I always like their games!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Milkman

WiiWare is not a gimmick. It's just terrible.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tireyo

Milkman:  I don't think it's terrible, it's just hasn't reached the potential that it should have.

HandsomeDead:  You may never know what will happen next! :D

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Claude

I have two games from WiiWare, LostWinds and World of Goo. I don't think it's a gimmick, it's just another form of interactive media distribution. The Virtual Console is awesome, so I like it better than WiiWare, but if a game comes out that I want... I'll get it. I only have one Xbox Live Arcade game if that means anything.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tireyo

Claude:  Try Tetris Party!  It's the same old Tetris that includes a few modes that have twists!
                And very well put explaination Claude about WiiWare!  I also agree that VC is better! :D

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By ThomasP

They could have more higher quality games, but it's definitely not a gimmick. There are a few good games, and there there will be more to come in the future. Also, WiiWare launched on MARCH 12th, 2008. Give it more then a year to build a library.

Virtual Console FTW! 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By TheGreatGuero

That picture is totally epic. Anyway, yeah, Nintendo certainly hasn't been taking it seriously enough. I'm sure there's a whole lot of Wii owners that don't even know what it is. I've yet to buy anything on it, though now that I've hooked my Wii up after 9 months of abandonment, I'm planning on buying Dalai's official 2008 Game of the Year: WORLD OF GOO!

Maybe World of Goo will get me interested in checking out some more WiiWare games, though a little more promotion on Nintendo's part would certainly help. So would some free demos.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Tireyo

ThomasP: I agree!

TheGreatGuero: What picture? The systems standing on top of each other?
I heard World of Goo was good from several different sources.  Nine months is a long time to not play a game system!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#33  Edited By AgentJ
Tireyo643 said:
"

No Caption Provided

"
I'd say that Wiiware is about as gimicky as XBLA or PSN. Take from that what you will.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#34  Edited By AgentJ
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Meowayne said:
Not really, that'd be XBL my friend...."
Uh, what?
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gunswordfist
Tireyo643 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
It's a shame you think that.

gunswordfist said:
"I don't think WiiWare is a gimmick at all and this is coming from a guy who thinks the Wii itself is a gimmick. If WiiWare is allowing games like Cave Story Wii to come in then it's fulfilling its potential IMO"
WiiWare isn't bad, it's just overcrowded with alot of not so great titles."

Well okay,
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By Dalai

A lot of the games can be gimmicky, but I wouldn't put World of Goo, Mega Man 9, LostWinds, or the Strong Bad episodes in that category.  There is plenty of good content if you do your homework.

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By insanegamer

since i don't own a wii i really can comment but what i am seeing does look good. but is also looks like a gimmick but until i get a wii i really can't say.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Tireyo

insanegamer: It's all good!

Dalai: What you said is true!  And don't forget to put Tetris Party in the mix!

AgentJ: Ok.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By c1337us

I dont think it is just a gimmick, but with the way it has been implemented and all aspects of the Wii in general, I think it is pretty hard to argue against that point of view. I think that it has a lot of untapped potential still.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tireyo

c1337us said:

"I dont think it is just a gimmick, but with the way it has been implemented and all aspects of the Wii in general, I think it is pretty hard to argue against that point of view. I think that it has a lot of untapped potential still. "

I agree.