Jeff's Thoughts On Those Spike TV Awards

IceCreamMikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#251  Edited By IceCreamMikey

I just couldn't stand that they were going award after award before commercials. I think as an Award show they should present the award to the producers/developers in hand. and not just show 4 people getting awards.

Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#252  Edited By Gordo789

"Internet continually proves that it's mostly good at complaining about things."

Jeff and the internet have a lot in common!

Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#253  Edited By Curufinwe

@Gordo789 said:

"Internet continually proves that it's mostly good at complaining about things."

Jeff and the internet have a lot in common!

Self-awareness is not his strong suit.

Avatar image for internetdetective
InternetDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched enough of the show to figure out that Felicia Day is terrible, fake John Krasinski is terrible, and Spike TV is terrible. Also this reply is terrible and you are terrible for reading it.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#255  Edited By sawtooth

award shows have always been dumb

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#256  Edited By Keeng

I'm really glad I read this. I think Jeff's right that people act as thought the VGAs are the only show in town. However, to a degree, they are. Like it or not, the VGAs are THE representation of our favorite medium's "best" games outside of the internet, magazines, and the occasional cover art reading "10/10: Game Informer". I think it's somewhat appropriate for us to be upset when games are misrepresented on the biggest stage they have. It would be like if the Oscars were all references to Meet the Fockers and Transformers.

The DICE summit and the AIAS awards are a step in the right direction but even among major "gamers", they're relatively un-heard-of.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#257  Edited By jmrwacko

The VGAs voted MW3 as the best shooter. That's what did the show in for me.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By BitterAlmond

@hbkdx12 said:

@BitterAlmond said:

People who actually follow the industry (or, even better, work in it) don't much care for it, but we all understand that it's an important thing in order to keep video games going as strongly as they are. I don't watch the Spike VGAs, and I don't like them, but I am very glad they exist.

Why are you glad that they exist when it's complete bullshit? Even a respectable dev like Cliffy B even said so in a tweet. If the show is there to help market games and offer debut trailers and otherwise entertain on a rather simplistic and juvenile level then fine, so be but let it be that. Don't try to suggest it's something more when it really isnt

I'm glad they exist because they do just what you said: they help market games. If you were to draw a Venn diagram of Spike's core fanbase and video gamers, I doubt there would be much overlap. The show helps the industry as a whole by promoting video games and increasing sales in demographics that wouldn't normally buy games. So what if it's "bullshit?"

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By hbkdx12
@BitterAlmond said:

@hbkdx12 said:

@BitterAlmond said:

People who actually follow the industry (or, even better, work in it) don't much care for it, but we all understand that it's an important thing in order to keep video games going as strongly as they are. I don't watch the Spike VGAs, and I don't like them, but I am very glad they exist.

Why are you glad that they exist when it's complete bullshit? Even a respectable dev like Cliffy B even said so in a tweet. If the show is there to help market games and offer debut trailers and otherwise entertain on a rather simplistic and juvenile level then fine, so be but let it be that. Don't try to suggest it's something more when it really isnt

I'm glad they exist because they do just what you said: they help market games. If you were to draw a Venn diagram of Spike's core fanbase and video gamers, I doubt there would be much overlap. The show helps the industry as a whole by promoting video games and increasing sales in demographics that wouldn't normally buy games. So what if it's "bullshit?"

Because the same result would come if they just labeled the show as a video game expo or something similar where all they did is showcase upcoming games. If they wanted to make it particularly interesting, they could still have devs show up and give insight in their own games as well as other games they saw. I dunno. Something. Then breaking up the monotony with stupid stuff like bobbing for cupcakes wouldn't seem so ridiculous. As it's all a means of entertainment and good fun. 

But to label the whole thing an award show to honor and give recognition to developers and such and essentially do none of that and just have it turn into a crap shoot of a spectacle is absurd. I feel like a good route to take would be to have an award show that creates some kind of transparency into the developers and the video game industry as a whole. For example, Naughty Dog has behind the scenes featurettes on both Uncharted 2 and 3 about their process for making those games. Imagine if they had 3 minute segments like that from different devs sprinkled throughout the show that showcases them working on/giving their thoughts about their most notable title for the year.
BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By BitterAlmond

@hbkdx12 said:

@BitterAlmond said:

@hbkdx12 said:

@BitterAlmond said:

Because the same result would come if they just labeled the show as a video game expo or something similar where all they did is showcase upcoming games. If they wanted to make it particularly interesting, they could still have devs show up and give insight in their own games as well as other games they saw. I dunno. Something. Then breaking up the monotony with stupid stuff like bobbing for cupcakes wouldn't seem so ridiculous. As it's all a means of entertainment and good fun. But to label the whole thing an award show to honor and give recognition to developers and such and essentially do none of that and just have it turn into a crap shoot of a spectacle is absurd. I feel like a good route to take would be to have an award show that creates some kind of transparency into the developers and the video game industry as a whole. For example, Naughty Dog has behind the scenes featurettes on both Uncharted 2 and 3 about their process for making those games. Imagine if they had 3 minute segments like that from different devs sprinkled throughout the show that showcases them working on/giving their thoughts about their most notable title for the year.

Hey, not all award shows are great, nor are many presigious. Just look at the Razzies.

paskaroni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By paskaroni

I'd rather watch Conan or Kimmel (hell, is Jimmy Fallon around still?) have a 2 hour special that show all the clips (trailers), have a few interviews with some developers, see ONE "wacky" stunt, have deadmaus play us in and out of commercials, and the Black Keys play in the last segment. ... or just leave it alone & I'll just PVR it and skip to the vids like I have in the past.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#262  Edited By sopachuco13

Interesting diatribe. I think that your thoughts are pretty dead on about everything. I am sure that we just have to wait a little while longer and something like DICE or GDC might get some mainstream play.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By blackichigo

God I hate Spike TV.

mekklesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By mekklesak

I don't see how this awards show for video games is any different from the usual mentality of the Tech Sector's (private sector's) parties and conventions. E3 and even your own "Big Big Live Show" (or what ever it's called) are no less "debauched," unless... it's because its not exclusive to your community, thus "not better" than your (the private sector's) own version of "self celebration." This article is only an example of how "out of touch" the wealthy (or privileged/gainfully employed) increasingly are, with us struggling regulars, with the 1% worrying about how it is depicted. Our tea bagging is better than the kind that Spike TV slapped together, for us. What I find interesting is that business goes on as usual in, uh... so-called "enlightened" areas like San Francisco. But we all know 4chan, adbusters and Anonymous and so forth are "buddies" looking to solidify the increasing class(/social caste) gap through trite efforts to destabilize (/or annoy rather) Western Civilization. There's nothing to see here. See you all at PAX!

(two cents spent).

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By Bane

I watched the VGA's once. I'm not sure who they were targeting but it wasn't me so I haven't watched or even thought about them since.

Enigma_2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#266  Edited By Enigma_2099

Back when I was living with a crew of college girls,

How in the hell did you pull THAT off?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#267  Edited By Sooty

This guy should have hosted it, at least then somebody would have called Charlie Sheen out on being a complete and total crazy.

I wonder how much the host was allowed to deviate from the script, if at all.

cblackweiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By cblackweiu

Leave video game awards to websites and people that actually care about the medium.

VelvetJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By VelvetJones

Well said G-man, well said...