#1 Edited by Duffyside (898 posts) -

Ok, sorry if this isn't deserving of its own thread, but from doing a couple of searches, I didn't think there was something with a topic title that fully conveyed why Giant Bomb users in particular might care about this.

So, remember that Playstation Move game demoed during the Big Live Live Show, where people were throwing their shoes at each other, and chasing each other, and laughing and having a (glowing) ball? Yeah, that was Johan Sebastian Joust. There have been a couple of discussions about it on the Bombcast as well.

Not only JSJ, but a few others — Hokra, BariBaraBall, and Super Pole Riders — are all in this Kickstarter package. I think it's cool, and thought the community here might care because of the BLLSLSLSLLL.

So, if you'd like to play these games on PS3 — or Mac/PC/Linux apparently — how about chipping in, or something?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gutefabrik/sportsfriends-featuring-johann-sebastian-joust

#2 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

My problem with Johan Sebastian Joust is that while your average video game blogger might be going googly eyes over it, I still have literally no fucking idea what that game is. I understand it uses the Playstation wand things, but you don't need a screen, and may or may not involve large groups of smiling hipsters in outdoor areas. This is the disconnect for me and I think many people.

#3 Posted by Duffyside (898 posts) -

@Inkerman: I think the problem is, as evidenced by your use of the word "hipsters," is that you're doing what "hipsters" do; a certain stereotype of people seem to like this game, therefore you don't.

Seriously, why would you even bring up that stupid term in talking about this game? What does it have to do with anything?

#4 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I don't have a Move so no thanks.

#5 Posted by Andorski (5365 posts) -

@Inkerman said:

My problem with Johan Sebastian Joust is that while your average video game blogger might be going googly eyes over it, I still have literally no fucking idea what that game is. I understand it uses the Playstation wand things, but you don't need a screen, and may or may not involve large groups of smiling hipsters in outdoor areas. This is the disconnect for me and I think many people.

The premise is pretty simple. Free for all match where you try to make other people's Move controller shake while keeping yours still. The pace of the music playing dictates how much movement of the Move controller is tolerated. What I'm wondering though is why they are still using the Move controller as the device to play the game. This is an indie project, so they are going to have a hard enough time to garner attention to what they are selling without it being tied to a device that barely anyone owns. This should be an iOS/Android game instead. Outside of your NorCal tech community, you are not going to convince groups of people to get Move controllers and to play this game near a PC or PS3. The ease of having the game played with smartphones at any moment without it being tied to a PC or PS3 makes the entire experience more enticing.

#6 Posted by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

Is there a fund I can pitch in to so I can stop hearing about JSJ and any other Kickstarter project?

#7 Posted by leafhouse (133 posts) -

@MildMolasses: unplug modem, pick up a book

#8 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

@Andorski said:

This is an indie project, so they are going to have a hard enough time to garner attention to what they are selling without it being tied to a device that barely anyone owns.

Actually, there's 15 million out there. How many of those have even heard of JSJ, or Kickstarter for that matter is the problem.

#9 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Why does it need so much money? Can't they just make it in their free time like everyone other indy developer.

#10 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

@Andorski: You really want to use $500+ delicate things like a smartphone in a game designed to knock them out of your hand or at least smack them around? As someone that does tech support for cell phones you do not want to know what the average cost to fix a broken screen is. Let's just say that nine times out of nine times it's cheaper to just buy a new dam phone.

I would have to imagine it would be cheap to sell some kind of plastic wand with a sensor in it that can be bluetoothed to a phone as a hub device or something of that nature.

#11 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I see this game is still bumming around trying to build hype. Like a perpetually broke-ass roommate telling you about their earthshaking, game-changing idea every time you come home from a long day of work.

#12 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -

This is just not a commercially viable thing. Needing to own a bunch of move controllers, a bunch of friends with the will to play this. Even then, how long will it actually entertain people? An hour maybe?

It's a neat idea but that's it

#13 Posted by TromboneTony (162 posts) -
@MildMolasses
Is there a fund I can pitch in to so I can stop hearing about JSJ and any other Kickstarter project?
No, but you could just avoid forum threads with the title of the game in it if it bothers you that Mich.
#14 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Why does it need so much money? Can't they just make it in their free time like everyone other indy developer.

This is a Kickstarter to get the funds to pay a licensed PS3 developer to port these games to the console. None of the developers of the four games involved have the equipment to do such development themselves.

That being said, I'm not contributing to this. I see nothing of real interest to me in these four games.

#15 Posted by cmblasko (1343 posts) -

As I understand it, JSJ is pretty much done at this point. Why does the guy need so much money if the game is working already? What work is there to be done?

#16 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Duffyside said:

@Inkerman: I think the problem is, as evidenced by your use of the word "hipsters," is that you're doing what "hipsters" do; a certain stereotype of people seem to like this game, therefore you don't.

Seriously, why would you even bring up that stupid term in talking about this game? What does it have to do with anything?

You just sound like you're making an even bigger assumption than you think he is making....

#17 Posted by Rafaelfc (1453 posts) -

I DESPISE the title of this game... do not care otherwise.

Not much to add, just thought i'd put that on record.

#18 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

It's a novel idea, but you're not going to find many people that have both a) multiple move controllers, and b) a group of friends willing to play this.]
 
@Andorski said:

@Inkerman said:

My problem with Johan Sebastian Joust is that while your average video game blogger might be going googly eyes over it, I still have literally no fucking idea what that game is. I understand it uses the Playstation wand things, but you don't need a screen, and may or may not involve large groups of smiling hipsters in outdoor areas. This is the disconnect for me and I think many people.

The premise is pretty simple. Free for all match where you try to make other people's Move controller shake while keeping yours still. The pace of the music playing dictates how much movement of the Move controller is tolerated. What I'm wondering though is why they are still using the Move controller as the device to play the game. This is an indie project, so they are going to have a hard enough time to garner attention to what they are selling without it being tied to a device that barely anyone owns. This should be an iOS/Android game instead. Outside of your NorCal tech community, you are not going to convince groups of people to get Move controllers and to play this game near a PC or PS3. The ease of having the game played with smartphones at any moment without it being tied to a PC or PS3 makes the entire experience more enticing.

That would only lead to thousands of broken phones.
#19 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

The game looks cool but I am not buying a move just to play these games.

#20 Posted by ThunderSlash (1949 posts) -

So who is Johan Sebastian?

#21 Posted by JigsawIntoSpace (39 posts) -

@ThunderSlash: Some dude who makes indie games probably who cares

#22 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -
@Phatmac said:

I don't have a Move so no thanks.

Online
#23 Posted by Duffyside (898 posts) -

@Metric_Outlaw said:

The game looks cool but I am not buying a move just to play these games.

As the person who made this thread, I should know this, but... do you need a Move controller for all these games? Isn't it just Johan Sebastian Joust that uses Move?

#24 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

@Duffyside: Oh that was my mistake. I guess only JSJ needs a move controller.

#25 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I like how people slate Nintendo and Microsoft for having those fake advertisements with perfect conditions for playing Wii/Kinect games, yet nobody seems to be noticing that very few people probably have the room to play this "game". (and who has 3+ Move controllers?)

#26 Edited by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

Not really surprised by this.

They've showed this thing off for so long, and I remember the first time I heard about it people were writing about it like I already knew what it was.

Also....how many people have PS3's and move controllers lying around waiting for this thing?

#27 Posted by Chaser324 (6742 posts) -
Moderator Online
#28 Posted by prestonhedges (1961 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

It's a novel idea, but you're not going to find many people that have both a) multiple move controllers, and b) a group of friends willing to play this.]

@Andorski said:

@Inkerman said:

My problem with Johan Sebastian Joust is that while your average video game blogger might be going googly eyes over it, I still have literally no fucking idea what that game is. I understand it uses the Playstation wand things, but you don't need a screen, and may or may not involve large groups of smiling hipsters in outdoor areas. This is the disconnect for me and I think many people.

The premise is pretty simple. Free for all match where you try to make other people's Move controller shake while keeping yours still. The pace of the music playing dictates how much movement of the Move controller is tolerated. What I'm wondering though is why they are still using the Move controller as the device to play the game. This is an indie project, so they are going to have a hard enough time to garner attention to what they are selling without it being tied to a device that barely anyone owns. This should be an iOS/Android game instead. Outside of your NorCal tech community, you are not going to convince groups of people to get Move controllers and to play this game near a PC or PS3. The ease of having the game played with smartphones at any moment without it being tied to a PC or PS3 makes the entire experience more enticing.

That would only lead to thousands of broken phones.

Half the price goes toward a massive nerf cover for your phone.

#29 Posted by kalmis (1549 posts) -

How about no? This doesn't look like a game I would like to play.