Just a simple question for Mac users (others need not read)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Hello fellow Maccers. 

I just came into possession of an Airport Extreme router - for free mind you.  I have been running a Belkin until now.  

So, I have connected it and all is fine, but the security question is something I am interested in.  I have a DSi and I could run it with the Belkin unless I opened Windows and used the Nintendo USB (security settings didn't match the DS).  Now I just connected the DSi to the internet and all is fine and I like it that way.

The set-up on the Airport is asking me about security.  I live in a remote area and security really isn't an issue, but I going to set it anyway.  Which one should I choose that won't lock out the DSi and force me to use Windows?USB adapter?
WEP 40 bit 
WEP 128 bit 
WPA/WPA2 Personal 
WPA2 Personal 

Forgive my limited knowledge.  I know WPA is encrypted better than WEP and it seems the DSi uses both.  So which one should I use?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

You should have been more specific. I use a Mac several times a week, but they aren't laptops. : P

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
@AgentJ said:
" You should have been more specific. I use a Mac several times a week, but they aren't laptops. : P "
The Mac I refer to is actually good for, has less fat and sugar and less likely to lead to a heart attack  ^-^ 
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
@Ossi said:
" I'm using WPA/WPA2 Personal, works fine for any of my wireless devices including game handhelds/consoles. Though I think the DS Lite has trouble with WPA2, not sure. "
I think you are probably right.  When I read my DSi manual, It contradicted my memory of my DS Lite.  I am now thinking they made the DSi accept different security.  Considering I am only likely to use the DSi, it could be all good.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By fynne

WEP is not only weaker than WPA, but it's totally broken.  Researchers have been able to break WEP passwords in a minute.  Go with WPA if you can.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool

Oh man, I completely fucked up.  After I set the security I have no internet at all.  I am totally lost as to what I did. 

I tried many different things with settings to get it working and it all failed.  This is what happens when technology and old people meet  ^-^ 

I have connected the Belkin again.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By mordukai
@oldschool said:
" Oh man, I completely fucked up.  After I set the security I have no internet at all.  I am totally lost as to what I did.  I tried many different things with settings to get it working and it all failed.  This is what happens when technology and old people meet  ^-^  I have connected the Belkin again. "
Balking is very good. I like their products. I would say do a reset for your airport. GO check the manuals on the Apple web sites. 
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

I do know that the xbox 360 is not compatible with WPA2 : / 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
@Linkyshinks said:
" I do know that the xbox 360 is not compatible with WPA2 : /  "
Yeah, a friend PMed me with that info - good to know for the odd time I will connect the 360 to the internet. 

The DSi won't play games online with the settings on the Belkin, so I am back at square one (incompatible security - but it will connect to the DSi Shop).  I need to fix up what I broke.