Killer Instinct reboot is free-to-play

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sorry if this was posted before, but I couldn't find any using search.

Anyway, this is the news:

Killer Instinct is getting a reboot on Xbox One, courtesy of Double Helix Games . Good news: it’s free-to-play. Potential bad news: you have to pay for every character, except Jago.

Destructoid confirmed in this Killer Instinct preview, that while the fighter is free to all, you have to pay individually for new and returning characters. That’s a payment per character, but the specific cost has not been confirmed, so don’t start worrying just yet, as they could be dirt cheap.

Characters have two life bars just like in the original games, and big combos and Combo-Breakers are back. The game’s out at the Xbox One launch.

Source

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SuperWristBands

People should be far more worried that that says Double Helix is developing it.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By crithon

huh

that is interesting

but considering how terrible the character designs are on the original series, this is ridiculious to think someone would choose between buying Glacius and Cinder

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By EVO

I don't understand why people are up in arms over this.

IronHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the game offers you one character only. Any other characters have to be purchased.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By pr1mus

Prediction: There will be 14 characters (not counting Jago) and each will be 5$ making the complete game 70$ because of course a "F2P" game is more expensive than a normal retail one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Giving Jago for free is giving 80% of your revenue away.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SuperWristBands

@evo said:

I comes down to price and all the f2p games I've seen leave me worried when the idea is applied to a new fighting franchise where it's the only time I actually want to try all of the characters. If all the characters run you $60 and it has a healthy supply of cosmetic items, then by all means, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume all the characters running a player $100+.

Of course all of this is meaningless until prices are announced, but hey, we all love to speculate.

What people should be up in arms over is the developer. That should put people on their guard.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Seems to be a trend all of a sudden. Fighting games going F2P.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I already didn't want to play this, and now they're telling me that Double Helix is making it? Yeesh

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By awesomeusername

I find it hilarious that they hyped up a Rare game coming back and it's a shit developer making their game. Guess Rare is just the Kinect game dev. Fucking sad.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BisonHero

@superwristbands said:

Yeah, so the whole "The return of a classic Rare franchise!!" was kind of a bait and switch, since it is Killer Instinct, but it's not even being developed by Rare. Not that it matters, because all of the visionary talent more or less left Rare a few years back, and I can't imagine that current Rare has anywhere close to the mentality that they had back when Killer Instinct was made.

And yeah, Double Helix does not have the greatest track record. Maybe they will prove us all wrong?

sideburnt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sideburnt

I don't understand why this is such a bad thing. Who the hell plays every character in a fighting game? I assume you could try the characters before you buy them, I think its awesome that you could buy your favorite characters and be done with it.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Winternet

Guys, what if Killer Instinct was never that good of a game to begin with?

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable about this if you got 2 to 4 characters to start. One seems a little crazy.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By connerthekewlkid

I wouldnt say never good, but it definitely wasn't a very hardcore competitive fighting game (but I guess it never was really trying to be)

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#17  Edited By Mystyr_E

at this point, Rare feels like a lifeless body held up by Microsoft branded marionette strings making the puppet do stuff against its will

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHAT THE FUCK

This is not how you do right by Killer Instinct...

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This completely sinks this title.

KI was never about "great combo gameplay". It was about being the total package. Stage fatalities, unique fatalities for every character, secret moves, secret ultra combos, bonus fatalities like "friendship" moves, secret characters, etc.

Selling all of that piecemeal is like selling Skyrim or WOW on a "pay per quest" format.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Well I wasn't going to buy it (unless it had some kickass story mode like Mortal Kombat) so this way I might play it once or twice at least. Anyways, they better have trials for all the characters. Nothing would suck more then buying a character and then realizing you don't like how he plays.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JazGalaxy

Oh, it absolutely wasn't. But that didn't mean it wasn't an amazing, fun video game . It's right up there with Sonic The Hedgehog in terms of games that weren't REALLY any good, but combined amazing music, graphics, and hyper relevant-to-the-time game mechanics to make a great package.

Nothing says that couldn't happen right now. It's all in the execution.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@superwristbands said:

Their revitalization of the Silent Hill and Front Mission series were so great, though. Not to mention the fantastic, utterly unique licensed movie-games.

Oh. Wait.

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By moonwalksa

Regardless of value or how much anyone cares about KI, the biggest thing this does is ensure that 90+ percent of online matches will have the exact same character in them, which is less fun for everyone, including the people who pay into it. And the people that don't buy characters had better enjoy constant Jago vs Jago mirror matches. Buying characters is an okay F2P model for stuff like MOBAs and Marvel Heroes, but I can't see that working for fighting games without completely ruining the community.

I don't know how this will effect the actual Fighting Game Community, though I'm pretty sure most of them never gave a shit about Killer Instinct in the first place, so I suppose that's a wash.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest problem with this is that the game is going to be dead on arrival in the community. Tournament organizers would be forced to buy all of the characters on every set up that they have for KI, and that's only if they use XOnes in tournaments given the strict DRM. If tournaments aren't going to be hosting the game then a large amount of the demographic will not even bother playing the game.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By damodar

@sideburnt said:

I don't understand why this is such a bad thing. Who the hell plays every character in a fighting game? I assume you could try the characters before you buy them, I think its awesome that you could buy your favorite characters and be done with it.

I've played hundreds and hundreds of hours of the various incarnations of SF4 since it came out and there are very, very few characters out of the 39 that I don't enjoy playing in that game. Obviously, I have my mains that I've focussed on, but I've had quite a few many hour long play sessions of random vs with a friend. Obviously, the majority of people who bought SF4 haven't spent that much time with it, but I'll get back to that. Also, assuming you can try characters before you buy them might be overreaching. Yeah, that would be the sensible way to do it, but I wouldn't take it as a given. For example, Marvel Heroes, which just released and does charge for characters has no such feature.

I do agree with you though that the idea of a free to play fighting game isn't something that deserves a negative reaction. I saw a lot of dumb comments on another website with people getting really angry about the idea of the free to play version of DOA5 because if you bought all the content in that, you'd end up spending I believe somewhere in the realm of $90. Which is a really dumb thing to get angry about, considering Team Ninja made it pretty clear that the $60 full version of that game would still be available if you knew that you WOULD want all of that characters. Which is the important part to me. If a new Street Fighter game comes out, I'm going to want it and I'm going to want every character etc. In the case of DOA5, it's hard to juggle fighting games, and I've been playing 5 or 6 of them lately and as far as 3D fighters go, I prefer Tekken and Virtua Fighter over DOA, so I haven't actually played DOA5 yet. Getting a F2P version of that is totally cool, because I could spend about $10 and get two extra characters and that would be enough to be a value proposition to me.

So I guess the point I'm trying to bring all this rambling to is that I hope that there is at least a way to save money, buying all the content at once, or at least all the characters, a buying in bulk sort of thing. I think the F2P model for fighting games is a really great idea provided that there are also good, fairly priced options for get all the content for people who want to do that.

I guess part of the problem with KI is that the roster is tiny compared to a lot of other fighters, so they can't afford to give you too many. In the face of Tekken Revolution coming with 8 characters for free, since the Tekken cast is about 55 characters at least, just getting Jago is pretty lame. Just think of how much of online play is going to Jago mirrors. That seems like a problem. The extension of that is that if people DO buy other characters, they're probably more likely to buy top tier.

But then again, I think Killer Instinct is bad, so that's a problem too.

@hadoken101 I don't think that'll really be an issue, it doesn't strike me as the sort of thing that will gain any traction as a competitive game. And before you have to worry about getting all those DLC characters, tournament organisers need to actually worry about having lots of Xbox Ones. If there's nothing but KI on the new hardware, they won't bother. I wouldn't say it not having a presence in the Fighting Game Community would necessarily affect it though. Firstly, there are so many people that will basically play anything as long as it's free. Secondly, when the 2D fighter boom died out, while the FGC was largely focused on stuff like Third Strike and Marvel 2 and CvS2, the only fighting games that were really being made were Tekken games and Mortal Kombat games. The only MK games that have really been part of the competitive scene were UMK3 and MK9. That didn't stop every single one of those MK games selling millions of copies.

Avatar image for acidcorea1varez
AcidcoreA1varez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they guy above had some solid points... but man, i just feel like I will be ripped apart by Riptor when I think of this garbage F2P... Why? WHY?!!!! So much for nothing now...? Rare... *crying* What has happened to you? :'(
hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@evo said:

I guess people would be happier if a "complete" version was also available, or if the game offer some more free content. At this point, no one knows how much content is going to be available and how much its all going to cost.

I do, at least once. After a few hours I can decide to main some character, but at the beginning is all exploration.