Knifey's PAX Blast!: Saturday Shenanigans (includes Ryan/Vinny)

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By KnifeySpoony

Hurray I finally brought myself to write this and apologies for the delay. I, like many others, have been sick this week and I just haven't wanted to deal with writing. But now I am, so here it is!

Saturday was the busiest and most exhausting of the three days of PAX by far, many many exciting things happened, so let's get started! 

Awesome Intel Prize!
During PAX Intel had a contest going on where if their group wandering around saw people wearing their button they would give out prize cards which could be redeemed at the booth for various things like T-shirts and hats and bags as well as i7 processors and laptops. Anyway, friends and I had some of these cards so we decided to turn them in. I won two hats, one of which I gave to Tanuki as a present (you're welcome buddy). One friend won a couple t shirts and a hat. What did our friend win? A fucking core i7 extreme, valued at $990. Quite a way to start the day, eh? 

Drew and Brad meeting
After the shock and excitement of scoring such a sweet prize from Intel was over with Matt (Tanuki) and I noticed that Brad and Drew were doing an interview for a new 2d game similar to Braid called the adventure of something Longbottoms, apologies for butchering the actual title. Anyway, we shook hands with Drew and Brad and chatted a bit about the game, was cool to get some opinions from them right away. I tried not to bother them for too long as they seemed like they needed to run around to other interviews. Besides, I knew that I would see them at the Giantbomb panel later that night.

Penny Arcade Make-a-Strip
This is easily one of the funnest panels to attend while at PAX. Basically it is exactly like their Q&A panels, only Tycho writes up a comic really quick and Gabe spends the

Scott replaced Jerry to start
rest of the time drawing it up while we all watch in awe. This year's panel was interesting though as Tycho was not there for the first 20-30
 Jerry made a triumphant return
minutes as he was in a hospital seeing to his newborn who was born the night before. If any of you have listened to the downloadable content podcast, then you have a good idea of how fantastic this pair is to listen to. Now add in a bunch of random questions from fans, and it can be pretty hilarious.

Strip in the making
 Strip in the making

Gabe having some fun with the audience
Idle Thumbs Meet up
For those of you unfamiliar, Idle Thumbs is a video game podcast hosted by Chris Remo from gamasutra, Nick Breckon from Shacknews and Jake Rodkin from Telltale that primarily focuses on PC games. They've only been around for about a year, but it's a quite entertaining listen and worth checking out. Anyway, they organized a meet up for it's listeners for Saturday afternoon. My friend, as well as Idle Thumbs, were only expecting about 12 people to show up, turns out there were roughly 40 people who gathered for this thing. What was funny is that we all gathered around the Kinko's because that's where Jake was printing out a bunch of stuff to give away to all of

us. So while he was doing this there was just a mass of nerd fans peering in, along with Chris and Nick. Once he was done we congregated as this huge horde and paraded down Seattle's streets, hoping to find a bar that would be able to accommodate all of us. We were very fortunate as the second place we tried, which was next door to the first, had a room that was of perfect size for us to take over. I was unable to stay for all of it, but it was definitely an experience to see so many people gather to chat about video games and just hang out. During the event we had a giveaway which included download codes for Trine, which I won a code for, an adventure game that they spoke highly of, as well as some crazy games they randomly picked up including "Puffins" for the DS and more. Overall a good experience, and the restaurant was very nice but I needed to leave early so I could get to the giantbomb panel!
 I found these guys on the way to the GB panel

Classy Panel Warm Up, Ryan

Giantbomb Panel
Now, because they have all three parts of their panel uploaded, I won't spend too much time talking about what actually went on. I do need to thank Tanuki a whole bunch for saving a spot in line so we could get great seats for it, thanks a lot buddy. The panel, as many of you presumably saw, was entertaining to say the least. Watching a half bearded individual scarf down NOS noodles is really something indescribable.

Look at the determination of Half Beard, the stern overseer Jeff and the Glee in Brad and Ryan's face.
 Look at the determination of Half Beard, the stern overseer Jeff and the Glee in Brad and Ryan's face.
Post Giantbomb Panel
After the panel, Tanuki and I wanted to get a chance to chat a bit with the guys about various stuff. But, before we did that I wanted to make sure I did something that I told Tanuki I would do weeks prior to PAX which was to hug Vinny. Which is exactly what I did, as well as give Brad a bit of encouragement for doing the panel in front of hundreds of people despite anxiety issues. Brad also signed my PAX pass, which I'm kind of questioning why I asked him to but I suppose it is cool nonetheless.

Once everyone was moved outside of the theatre I introduced myself and spoke a bit with Rich Gallup, then I spoke a ton with Drew about PAX in general and what games he was most interested in. Drew is a cool guy to talk to, this was his first PAX as part of the press, last year he went as just a civilian so it was interesting to listen to the different perspectives from each year. We also discussed Dave's facial hair after seeing half beard, and what exactly he was thinking when he had his bushy half chops. Drew if you're out there, I would be happy to play ODST with you when it comes out.

Now I also got a bunch of hilarious photos of Vinny and Ryan, starting with them doing their Peter Molyneux impressions. WARNING: Barrage of pictures incoming

Muh balls
 Muh balls

You can tickle 'em
 You can tickle 'em

I can't make sense of this one

Then I also had Ryan and Vinny "come up with whatever you want" for a couple pictures, here is what happened as a result.

New cover for Vogue
 New cover for Vogue
Thanks a lot for reading/viewing! I should get my final PAX Sunday blog up much sooner this weekend. Take care :D
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By KnifeySpoony

Hurray I finally brought myself to write this and apologies for the delay. I, like many others, have been sick this week and I just haven't wanted to deal with writing. But now I am, so here it is!

Saturday was the busiest and most exhausting of the three days of PAX by far, many many exciting things happened, so let's get started! 

Awesome Intel Prize!
During PAX Intel had a contest going on where if their group wandering around saw people wearing their button they would give out prize cards which could be redeemed at the booth for various things like T-shirts and hats and bags as well as i7 processors and laptops. Anyway, friends and I had some of these cards so we decided to turn them in. I won two hats, one of which I gave to Tanuki as a present (you're welcome buddy). One friend won a couple t shirts and a hat. What did our friend win? A fucking core i7 extreme, valued at $990. Quite a way to start the day, eh? 

Drew and Brad meeting
After the shock and excitement of scoring such a sweet prize from Intel was over with Matt (Tanuki) and I noticed that Brad and Drew were doing an interview for a new 2d game similar to Braid called the adventure of something Longbottoms, apologies for butchering the actual title. Anyway, we shook hands with Drew and Brad and chatted a bit about the game, was cool to get some opinions from them right away. I tried not to bother them for too long as they seemed like they needed to run around to other interviews. Besides, I knew that I would see them at the Giantbomb panel later that night.

Penny Arcade Make-a-Strip
This is easily one of the funnest panels to attend while at PAX. Basically it is exactly like their Q&A panels, only Tycho writes up a comic really quick and Gabe spends the

rest of the time drawing it up while we all watch in awe. This year's panel was interesting though as Tycho was not there for the first 20-30
minutes as he was in a hospital seeing to his newborn who was born the night before. If any of you have listened to the downloadable content podcast, then you have a good idea of how fantastic this pair is to listen to. Now add in a bunch of random questions from fans, and it can be pretty hilarious.

Strip in the making
 Strip in the making

Idle Thumbs Meet up
For those of you unfamiliar, Idle Thumbs is a video game podcast hosted by Chris Remo from gamasutra, Nick Breckon from Shacknews and Jake Rodkin from Telltale that primarily focuses on PC games. They've only been around for about a year, but it's a quite entertaining listen and worth checking out. Anyway, they organized a meet up for it's listeners for Saturday afternoon. My friend, as well as Idle Thumbs, were only expecting about 12 people to show up, turns out there were roughly 40 people who gathered for this thing. What was funny is that we all gathered around the Kinko's because that's where Jake was printing out a bunch of stuff to give away to all of

us. So while he was doing this there was just a mass of nerd fans peering in, along with Chris and Nick. Once he was done we congregated as this huge horde and paraded down Seattle's streets, hoping to find a bar that would be able to accommodate all of us. We were very fortunate as the second place we tried, which was next door to the first, had a room that was of perfect size for us to take over. I was unable to stay for all of it, but it was definitely an experience to see so many people gather to chat about video games and just hang out. During the event we had a giveaway which included download codes for Trine, which I won a code for, an adventure game that they spoke highly of, as well as some crazy games they randomly picked up including "Puffins" for the DS and more. Overall a good experience, and the restaurant was very nice but I needed to leave early so I could get to the giantbomb panel!

Giantbomb Panel
Now, because they have all three parts of their panel uploaded, I won't spend too much time talking about what actually went on. I do need to thank Tanuki a whole bunch for saving a spot in line so we could get great seats for it, thanks a lot buddy. The panel, as many of you presumably saw, was entertaining to say the least. Watching a half bearded individual scarf down NOS noodles is really something indescribable.

Post Giantbomb Panel
After the panel, Tanuki and I wanted to get a chance to chat a bit with the guys about various stuff. But, before we did that I wanted to make sure I did something that I told Tanuki I would do weeks prior to PAX which was to hug Vinny. Which is exactly what I did, as well as give Brad a bit of encouragement for doing the panel in front of hundreds of people despite anxiety issues. Brad also signed my PAX pass, which I'm kind of questioning why I asked him to but I suppose it is cool nonetheless.

Once everyone was moved outside of the theatre I introduced myself and spoke a bit with Rich Gallup, then I spoke a ton with Drew about PAX in general and what games he was most interested in. Drew is a cool guy to talk to, this was his first PAX as part of the press, last year he went as just a civilian so it was interesting to listen to the different perspectives from each year. We also discussed Dave's facial hair after seeing half beard, and what exactly he was thinking when he had his bushy half chops. Drew if you're out there, I would be happy to play ODST with you when it comes out.

Now I also got a bunch of hilarious photos of Vinny and Ryan, starting with them doing their Peter Molyneux impressions. WARNING: Barrage of pictures incoming

Muh balls
 Muh balls

You can tickle 'em
 You can tickle 'em

Then I also had Ryan and Vinny "come up with whatever you want" for a couple pictures, here is what happened as a result.

New cover for Vogue
 New cover for Vogue
Thanks a lot for reading/viewing! I should get my final PAX Sunday blog up much sooner this weekend. Take care :D
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Why, after one minute, does this thread have 70 views? Great pictures and account and everything, but that sure isn't right

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@AgentJ: I was wondering the exact same thing. I guess having Vinny or any of the giantbomb crew in the title automatically gets hits.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

Haha, love those pictures.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

Okay, its at 666 now. That's not natural. Something is being fucked with

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@LiquidPrince: Thanks, I definitely enjoy them a lot, haha.
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By vaiz
@AgentJ said:
" Okay, its at 666 now. That's not natural. Something is being fucked with "
GIANT BOMB IS THE DEVIL. And we love it.
jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By jim_dandy

I remember turning around and seeing the last image. I burst out laughing.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Absurd

Great post and awesome pictures. (the amount of views is probably due to having PAX and Ryan/Vinny in the title.)

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Absurd: Hey thanks, and as much as I'd like to believe the views are genuine, I think it has to do with bugged counters. 
@jim_dandy: It's great isn't it? Haha.
jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jim_dandy
@KnifeySpoony: I took my own photo, but it's not quite as good as yours. :3
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@jim_dandy: Did you get any other pics with the guys? Would like to see them if you did.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13  Edited By Symphony

Awesome post and pictures. Great to hear you had a blast there! Hoping I get a chance to get next year *fingers crossed*

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Symphony: Thanks symph, and definitely try to make it out, PAX is easily a must attend event for anyone passionate about games, trust me :D.
milpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By milpool

Haha awesome pictures.  I'm also jealous that you hugged Vinny, I bet he was warm and gentle.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Milpool: He's a really nice guy, as you'd expect. In fact all of the giantbomb guys are really nice in person, they were signing tons of stuff for people and taking pictures for everyone who asked.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By mracoon

Awesome post. Maybe one year I'll be able to go to PAX but definitely not in the near future.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#18  Edited By JackiJinx

I don't think I'll be able to sleep after that last picture. Thanks, Knifey.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@JackiJinx: Or rather, you're going to have the best dream ever :) o/
Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tanuki

Sitting in line an hour and and 15 minutes early so my friends can cut in and have great seats is something I do best!  Also, we got hugs from Vinny!  Yay!!!  =D

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Tanuki: That makes me sound so dirty :(. I was at least there for a half hour or 40 minutes of waiting. Plus, look at the pics I managed to get because of your saintlyhood! :D
Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tanuki

Hahah, they are pretty good pics.  ;)

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By lemon360

the last pic is hilarious
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Tanuki: You need to get your blog up, I want to see how dumb I look on video :D
jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jim_dandy
@KnifeySpoony: NO. 

...Maybe later.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@jim_dandy: .......

h'okay.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude

Ryan has magic hands. Even the camera can't capture how fast they are.