Let's Talk Nintendo (Not Making Video Games)

hodkurtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hodkurtz
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
hodkurtz said:
"Apparently, Nintendo has boarded the crazy train, and Shigeru Miyamoto is the conductor."

Is this meant to be taken literally? If it is, fucking tell me more.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

It's not watching someone play the game for you necessarily. It's basically seeing how to do something that may seem confusing. I know a lot of people that would have used that feature for a certain segment of Force Unleashed.

Also, you don't have to use it, and it woun't penalize you for not using it.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

So machinima is considered gaming now.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
We all know Nintendo isn't really about hardcore gamers anymore.

Rubbish, speak for yourself.

drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By drakesfortune
Linkyshinks said:
"We all know Nintendo isn't really about hardcore gamers anymore.

Rubbish, speak for yourself.

"
He's speaking for me, that's for sure.  The Wii is a disaster for hardcore gamers.  It's killing 3rd parties.  Hardcore games during the PS1 and PS2 era got picked up by casuals.  Now the casuals have Wii's and have a multitude of shit minigame collections, and mario party petz games to buy, and unfortunately, that's what they're buying.  It's killing hardcore game development, and these are hard times for the big and little game companies that produce the best games.  So while we got a great Mario game, a decent Zelda game, an okay Metroid game, they all do basically nothing more than the Cube could do, and they all have a less intuitive control scheme that works less accurately than a game pad, and outside of Mario offer no innovation at all. 

It's a disaster for the hard core audience.  It means we'll be seeing less AAA titles aimed at us, and it means the best devs out there are going to have to cut talent, which will most likely be lost for a long time.  The writing is clearly on the wall.  If you aren't Nintendo, or you aren't a guitar hero game, you're not going to be getting the sales you did in the past 2 generations.  Nintendo is eating up all of the money, and they're producing LESS games aimed at the hardcore than ever before.  Fact.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I'm happy with Nintendo as a whole. The Wii is a damn good console for the hardcore. I own Zelda, Smash, No More Heroes (M) and Umbrella Cronicles(M) and Skate it, all are fantastic games that are only available on Wii.

I think it's funny how you use the term "Gaming lifestyle". Gaming is just an activity, nothing more. In no way can you validate sitting on your ass and staring at a screen as a lifestyle. I consider myself a hardcore gamer and I'm willing to admit this. But BOT.

Nintendo is obviously going to do what makes it the most money. As a gamer, the most you can absolutely hope for is that there will be at least a handful of good games for the console you own. Nintendo has insured that their "hardcore" base is happy, but what is more important is that their "casual" base is buying the product. This may seem like a snub to those who have been fans for generations, but in reality, they are setting up a sturdy base for the future.

Gaming used to be an exclusive community, a pocket of those who game. Nintendo is broadening that gap, ensuring that the gaming community grows as a whole.

I for one am tired of the formulaic approach to gaming, a trend that has been occurring since 16-bit days, it's nice to see Nintendo trying new things with the Wii, not only for "new" gamers, but for moving gaming in a new direction.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael

Wii could be better, but it's definitely not a disaster. If you look for them there are plenty of awesome games for the console, both released and soon-to-be released. This "self-playing games" concept sounds like complete bullshit though.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ThomasP

The Wii has a lot of great titles and many more in the pipeline. The "self-playing" games patent could be anything. Truth is we don't know why they patened it so none of us can make an accurate judgement. Let's wait and see what happens. Nintendo is fine. The Wii is a great console.