Miss America crowned, immediately craps on video games.

• 96 results
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield

Cameron, a 22 year-old native of Virginia, felt that video games, among other entertainment outlets, were contributing to the laziness of young children.   

When asked about childhood obesity - "Take away the TV, take away the video games, set some standards for our children!" she stated  during her interview.  She also added that she believed parents should encourage their kids to play outdoors, wishing that they were "playing imaginary games with sticks in the street like I did when I was little."

"You can be and become anything that you want to be, even Miss America," Cameron, who seemed genuinely shocked at her victory, stated.     

http://www.examiner.com/x-33364-NY-Video-Game-Community-Examiner~y2010m1d31-Miss-America-disses-video-games

SIT IN THE STREET WITH A STICK!
SIT IN THE STREET WITH A STICK!

P.S. One of the judges was Rush Limbaugh.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

FUCK HER!

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Laharl

Yes cause coasting through life using only your looks is a much better standard for kids to live by.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

I like playing with my imaginary stick, but it ain't so imaginary.  And it ain't in the street, either.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#5  Edited By citizenkane

She's right.  We need to set standards for our children, like dreams of participating and winning in a competition based solely on your exterior aesthetics judged by drug abusing racist neo-conservative fat slobs.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Dalai

I remember when I was little, I used to go outside imagining I was playing Super Mario Bros. 3 with a stick.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fripplebubby

No, I think she has a point. I'm going to go sit in the road and play with a FUCKING STICK! 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

* rage builds inside me* Laziness!? LAZINESS!? How dare she accuse our medium of encouraging sloth and lethargy! If anything, it is the most active medium of them all, forcing upon the participants both mental and physical stimulation that no other medium can equal. Messages are not forced upon you, narratives need not be defined to strict paths; video games provide a freedom that none can equal! Freedom leads to choice, and you know what choice is? AN ACTIVITY! *angrily leaves thread*

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I really don't see what's wrong with that statement. Video games are cool and all, but it's good to encourage a little physical activity. If she was trying to imply that video games are down right bad, sure, burn her, but I'm not convinced, just looking at your post.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rayfield
@Bellum said:
"I really don't see what's wrong with that statement. Video games are cool and all, but it's good to encourage a little physical activity. If she was trying to imply that video games are down right bad, sure, burn her, but I'm not convinced, just looking at your post. "

"Video games = obesity"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dalai said:
" I remember when I was little, I used to go outside imagining I was playing Super Mario Bros. 3 with a stick. "

I remember crawling under chairs when I was very young. I was going through pipes, you know.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I actually know the girl who was Miss Idaho in last year's Miss America Pageant (friend of my sister). I don't think she would say anything like that, but then again I guess she wasn't shallow enough to win that year either.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Rayfield said:
" @Bellum said:
"I really don't see what's wrong with that statement. Video games are cool and all, but it's good to encourage a little physical activity. If she was trying to imply that video games are down right bad, sure, burn her, but I'm not convinced, just looking at your post. "
"Video games = obesity" "
*stumbles and stutters whilst holding pile of games including Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, DDR, No More Heroes, all the Rock Bands and Guitar Heroes*
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By meteora

I can see where she's coming from in regards of nostagla, but this is stretching it. Electronics have become a everyday part of our life and its inevitable that it'll be around forever.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Andorski

I agree with her first statement.  Some kids do play video games way too long.  Imagine the state of XBL if kids didn't play for 8 hours a day.

... but that talk about playing on streets with sticks - dumb.  I'd rather have kids try to work together and find out how to beat a Zelda dungeon than to have them look like cave men.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By apathylad
@Laharl said:
" Yes cause coasting through life using only your looks is a much better standard for kids to live by. "
Looks got me this far. :P 
Uh, anyway, yeah, I don't care for these beauty pageants. They should all end like they do in Little Miss Sunshine.
Haizeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Haizeus

But... she's not even hot.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dalai

For the record, I'm pretty sure Rush didn't vote for her. 

Clearly Rush owns a Wii and plays a shitload of Just Dance.
Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dirty_Harry

Someone get her a wii

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By buzz_clik

Tell that to any Giant Bomb member who's served for their country. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as harder work than 'looking pretty'.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rayfield said:
" @Bellum said:

Is that what she said? I'm pretty sure that she said that video games can contribute to obesity. Does sedentary living not promote obesity?  Ignoring a very few exceptions, most of the games I play are done sitting in a chair or on a couch. As a guy who plays a lot of fucking video games, I can say it doesn't exactly contribute to weight loss.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rayfield

PICTURED: STANDARDS.
PICTURED: STANDARDS.
Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tarakun

As much as I hate it when people talk smack about video games.... 
Who cares what Miss America thinks?

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OllyOxenFree

NO U

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Bigandtasty

She said TV first. It's not that bad, guys.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rayfield
@Bellum said:
" @Rayfield said:
" @Bellum said:
 Is that what she said? I'm pretty sure that she said that video games can contribute to obesity. Does sedentary living not promote obesity?  Ignoring a very few exceptions, most of the games I play are done sitting in a chair or on a couch. As a guy who plays a lot of fucking video games, I can say it doesn't exactly contribute to weight loss. "

She could've mentioned junk food. Or Season 1-7 DVD box sets of 24. Or a really engaging novel. A lot of things make you sit on your arse for ages. Immediately linking video games with childhood obesity on an international stage for no reason is frustrating and baseless.
therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By therabidfrog
@Video_Game_King said:
" * rage builds inside me* Laziness!? LAZINESS!? How dare she accuse our medium of encouraging sloth and lethargy! If anything, it is the most active medium of them all, forcing upon the participants both mental and physical stimulation that no other medium can equal. Messages are not forced upon you, narratives need not be defined to strict paths; video games provide a freedom that none can equal! Freedom leads to choice, and you know what choice is? AN ACTIVITY! *angrily leaves thread* "
The sarcasm in this post far outstrips the level of sarcasm I was going to fire at any one else who thought video games didn't encourage sloth. You sir are the man,
Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Warfare

Man for a minute there i read Miss America craps on video.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Video_Game_King
@therabidfrog: 

Sarcasm? I found that to be a vitriolic diatribe.
InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By InfiniteGeass
@JJOR64 said:
" FUCK HER! "
Ya know. I came in here to basically say the same thing.
therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By therabidfrog
@Video_Game_King said:
" @therabidfrog:   Sarcasm? I found that to be a vitriolic diatribe. "
The continued level of sarcasm, even in the face of compliment, has sent me into a near sexual frenzy.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rayfield
@Warfare said:
" Man for a minute there i read Miss America craps on video. "

LOL
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By AndrewB

One thing I like about that last statement ...

"You can be and become anything that you want to be, even Miss America... "

Is that, no, not anyone can become Miss America. You have to have the good luck to be born into some pretty spectacular genetics, and you've got no choice over that. If she had left out that last part, it would have been a very much overused, but still good, sentiment.

But yes, kids, you need to get outside and play when you're a kid. I was born in the 80s, and was definitely playing games way back then, but we also spent most of your time playing outside.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheHT
@JJOR64 said:
" FUCK HER! "
I'll get right on it!
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Video_Game_King
@therabidfrog: 

No, seriously, I'm confused as to the presence of sarcasm. Are you trying to be ironic, or saying something, or are you just saying it for the sake of doing so?
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By jonnyboy

I'll stop playing when she starts eating.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Warfare
@Rayfield said:

" @Warfare said:

" Man for a minute there i read Miss America craps on video. "
LOL "
 I'm a tad disappointed. : (
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Linkyshinks

Playing sticks with paedophiles is better for you than playing Wii.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By therabidfrog
@Video_Game_King said:
" @therabidfrog:   No, seriously, I'm confused as to the presence of sarcasm. Are you trying to be ironic, or saying something, or are you just saying it for the sake of doing so? "
*boner*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rayfield said:
" @Bellum said:
" @Rayfield said:
" @Bellum said:
 Is that what she said? I'm pretty sure that she said that video games can contribute to obesity. Does sedentary living not promote obesity?  Ignoring a very few exceptions, most of the games I play are done sitting in a chair or on a couch. As a guy who plays a lot of fucking video games, I can say it doesn't exactly contribute to weight loss. "
She could've mentioned junk food. Or Season 1-7 DVD box sets of 24. Or a really engaging novel. A lot of things make you sit on your arse for ages. Immediately linking video games with childhood obesity on an international stage for no reason is frustrating and baseless. "

Perhaps, but given the prominence of video games, I don't think it's exactly unreasonable to mention in this context. Lets not forget she also mentions TV. Is that an automatic attack on television in general? Suggesting that parents should limit television usage in their children is far from unreasonable. The same applies to video games, though to be fair video games are probably far better for a kids mental development than watching TV.
Avatar image for commodoregroovy
CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

I kinda understand what she means. But, I don't think the problem lies within the actual video games or the television. The problem lies within the parents. No longer do children spend time outside, because of the parents fear for the safety of their children. They would rather take the convenient way out and have machines occupy their children. Video games has become a scapegoat for many problems that are facing American kids. But, really, contestants who are in that pageant just say things people want to hear.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@CitizenKane said:
" She's right.  We need to set standards for our children, like dreams of participating and winning in a competition based solely on your exterior aesthetics judged by drug abusing racist neo-conservative fat slobs. "
This.  I had to smile, because it was exactly what I was going to say!
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dalai
@AndrewB said:
" One thing I like about that last statement ...

"You can be and become anything that you want to be, even Miss America... "

Is that, no, not anyone can become Miss America. You have to have the good luck to be born into some pretty spectacular genetics, and you've got no choice over that. If she had left out that last part, it would have been a very much overused, but still good, sentiment.  But yes, kids, you need to get outside and play when you're a kid. I was born in the 80s, and was definitely playing games way back then, but we also spent most of your time playing outside. "
She also left out the part where you need a vagina.
Ataxia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ataxia

Video games don't contribute in any way towards obesity. It's like saying "having a movie in a different language made it suck", sure it might hinder it, i.e you might have to actually read while watching it, but alone it won't have an overall effect on the movie( it'll still be a good movie). Same with video games, they might be hindering , i.e. they might discourage you from doing exercise, but that doesn't contribute to obesity, it's that persons choice. I could play video games all I want and not put on weight. It's other factors like a persons diet that can lead to obesity.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rayfield
@Bellum said:
" @Rayfield said:
" @Bellum said:
" @Rayfield said:
" @Bellum said:
She could've mentioned junk food. Or Season 1-7 DVD box sets of 24. Or a really engaging novel. A lot of things make you sit on your arse for ages. Immediately linking video games with childhood obesity on an international stage for no reason is frustrating and baseless. "
 Perhaps, but given the prominence of video games, I don't think it's exactly unreasonable to mention in this context. Lets not forget she also mentions TV. Is that an automatic attack on television in general? Suggesting that parents should limit television usage in their children is far from unreasonable. The same applies to video games, though to be fair video games are probably far better for a kids mental development than watching TV. "

I totally agree.  TV and video games should be regulated by parents and kids should enjoy playing outside. But it's maddening when a vapid, ignorant beauty queen mentioning games in the same breath as childhood obesity and as a result, millions of inbred hicks across the world nod in agreement while watching her on TV and stuffing their face with god knows what.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ataxia said:
"
Video games don't contribute in any way towards obesity. It's like saying "having a movie in a different language made it suck", sure it might hinder it, i.e you might have to actually read while watching it, but alone it won't have an overall effect on the movie( it'll still be a good movie). Same with video games, they might be hindering , i.e. they might discourage you from doing exercise, but that doesn't contribute to obesity, it's that persons choice. I could play video games all I want and not put on weight. It's other factors like a persons diet that can lead to obesity. "

We're talking about kids. Kids don't have choice. It's the parents choice.