Monkey Island (Series) - Never played one yet.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CornontheCobbe

So i have heard so much about these "Monkey Island" games but have never played any of  them at all. Apparently the series goes back years!

So i was wondering, are any of them worth getting and giving a try? What kind of game is it? Sort of like the old Indiana Jones games, where you can chose to "Give item.." or "Walk Here..." commands?

Are they comedy or action games? And which games should i start with if i want to try them out?

Thanks!

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dogbox

Yeah, it's like say, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. You find items and combine them and play around with them to progress a story. They're definitely comedy! I'd say start with the remake of the original game first (available on PC or 360), and then try out Tales of Monkey Island, Telltale's new episodic series. The other ones are awesome too, but harder to come by these days. Hope this helps!

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Cerza

They are old school adventure games like Kings Quest or Sam & Max. The originals are a bit dated, but totally worth playing. The humor has held up and they are quite funny. I suggest starting with the first one ( The Secret of Monkey Island) and go from there.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@Cerza:
@Scheds: 

Cool thanks so much you guys! I will most definitely give them a try! : )
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By CptBedlam

Play the first three games in the series. They are all great.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By beargirl1

you will love them. Telltale does amazing games 

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jonnyboy

The new 'Secret of Monkey Island HD' is a good place to start. It'll probably seem a little bit dated though, to really, really get into those type of adventure games, to had to be there. Games have come so far since then, that nostalgia and my love for the characters are the only thing making me go back to play Space Quest 2, or Sam n Max. If I had to recoment any single game though it would have to be 'Day of the Tentacle', arguably one of the best game that Lucasarts made. And thanks to SCUMM VM in will run on pretty much any console or pc you own.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Daryl

I recommend getting a copy of The Curse of Monkey Island. It's the third one in the series and my favourite one so far. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By eroticfishcake

What?! You've never played a Monkey Island game?! And to THINK I was friends with you!

Anyway, what Cerza, Scheds and jonnyboy said. The ScummVM should provide you with the right programs to play some old adventure games. There's also three free (and very good) games which you can get for this, Lure of the Temptress, Flight of The Amazon Queen, and Beneath a Steel Sky. Get it here.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Absurd
@Daryl said:
" I recommend getting a copy of The Curse of Monkey Island. It's the third one in the series and my favourite one so far.  "
It's also my favorite.

Those games are probably my favorite adventure games.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ajamafalous

I started with Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1. I wasn't expecting much, since I got it for free during a promotion in October, so the first time I played it I didn't really like it. Picked it up again last month, and I was pleasantly surprised at what a good game it was. I was impressed enough that I bought the Telltale Everything Pack during the Steam Holiday Sale.

Anyway, they're basically point-and-click adventure games with humor thrown in.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
@eroticfishcake said:

" What?! You've never played a Monkey Island game?! And to THINK I was friends with you!

Anyway, what Cerza, Scheds and jonnyboy said. The ScummVM should provide you with the right programs to play some old adventure games. There's also three free (and very good) games which you can get for this, Lure of the Temptress, Flight of The Amazon Queen, and Beneath a Steel Sky. Get it here. "

There is also Teen Agent that is available free from GoodOldGames for use with ScummVM.