My Forum Peeves

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By BiG_Weasel

I joined Giant Bomb after the collapse of 1up, and have really enjoyed the forums. However, our forums here are no different from those on other gaming sites. Unfortunately, we often come across as uneducated thumb-jockeys, and I for one don't like it. A lot of posters to our forums should take note of a few simple things that'll help you sound at least somewhat intelligent.

• Use punctuation. A period or comma now and then wouldn't kill you.
  • Capitalize your words when necessary.
  • Learn the difference between "There" (that's a place), "their" (that belongs to them), and "they're" (contraction of "they are").
  • LeetSpeak was never cool. Enough already.
  • The way to say a multitude of something is "a lot". The word "alot" doesn't exist.
  • Console/game bashing needs to end. Stop trying to justify your purchase. Sadly, the majority of console bashers are mad at themselves for making the wrong choice for their taste in games, and have to keep telling themselves their purchase is worth the money by moronic chest-thumping.
  • Comparing graphics on games is like comparing paint jobs on cars. Its all about what lies under the hood. Gamers forget that we play games to have fun, not so much to look at pretty flashing lights on our screen. I believe that Sara Palin would say "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig."
  • Baiting/Flaming is reserved for the US Congress. Please stop doing it on Giant Bomb.

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I joined Giant Bomb after the collapse of 1up, and have really enjoyed the forums. However, our forums here are no different from those on other gaming sites. Unfortunately, we often come across as uneducated thumb-jockeys, and I for one don't like it. A lot of posters to our forums should take note of a few simple things that'll help you sound at least somewhat intelligent.

• Use punctuation. A period or comma now and then wouldn't kill you.
  • Capitalize your words when necessary.
  • Learn the difference between "There" (that's a place), "their" (that belongs to them), and "they're" (contraction of "they are").
  • LeetSpeak was never cool. Enough already.
  • The way to say a multitude of something is "a lot". The word "alot" doesn't exist.
  • Console/game bashing needs to end. Stop trying to justify your purchase. Sadly, the majority of console bashers are mad at themselves for making the wrong choice for their taste in games, and have to keep telling themselves their purchase is worth the money by moronic chest-thumping.
  • Comparing graphics on games is like comparing paint jobs on cars. Its all about what lies under the hood. Gamers forget that we play games to have fun, not so much to look at pretty flashing lights on our screen. I believe that Sara Palin would say "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig."
  • Baiting/Flaming is reserved for the US Congress. Please stop doing it on Giant Bomb.

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!
Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Captain_Fookup

The only real big problem I have with the forums are the DarkSmugLosers, creating topics just to get a flamewars started.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

Whilst I agree with your sentiment entirely (other than your American spelling, that offends my English eyes, but agreed, capitalise people), I long ago stopped caring.  I just ignore what bothers me (well, most of the time).  I try to look beyond the spelling, if the message is worth it.  

Members entering threads for which they have interest in, just to ctiticise and generally make a nuisance of themselves, is my main gripe.  Serious;y, if you don't have 'X' console, then read something else.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us

I dont really care to be honest. I try to use decent grammer on the forums, but as long as I can understand what is being written I am happy.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By mattbodega

There are a number of people in the community who WANT the forums to move towards a more educated, more insightful, and better written forum. However, those same people became frustrated that their topics weren't getting the type of educated responses they were seeking. Nowadays, if people want to say something meaningful, they'll write a blog post and attach it to the forums.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Red

I completely agree. I'm not much of a grammar natzi, but those are the essentials for forum behavior. No need for the "have a great day" at the end, though. Every day's great at your Giantbomb!

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By crunchUK
Captain_Fookup said:
"The only real big problem I have with the forums are the DarkSmugLosers, creating topics just to get a flamewars started."
It's actually tremendously easy to just not hit the reply button. Smugdarklosers threads are a testament to how few people on giantbomb have mastered this

Also i think giantbomb does better than most sites in this regard. Hell some people even use full stops in the irc *cough*karmum*cough*. As a result giantbomb community is also more elitist than most other sites
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Personally, I always use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation (or at least, as correct as my poor writing skills will allow) although I'm not bothered about other people. The aim of communication is to get information from one persons brain into another persons brain, and as long as that exchange is successful, it doesn't really matter how it gets done. It's more about what people say than how they say it. As long as I can understand what they mean, that's fine. I'd rather have a poorly written reply that raises interesting, thought provoking points, than a well written reply that is stupid and pointless.

I do however agree with your points about the content, fanboyism, graphic comparisons and trolling and flaming are extremely pointless. Although I generally jut ignore them and move on.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By penguindust

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, BiG_Weasel, and like MattBodega, would like Giant Bomb to be a place for more articulate conversation, I believe your appeal will fall on deaf ears.  The most egregious of members will likely ignore you, and continue to lower the standards of the site.  I choose to ignore them, as best I can.  If I see a post without capital letters, no punctuation, or "elite" speak, in my mind, whatever the writer has to say isn't worth my time.  If they don't care enough to try and use reasonable communication skills, then their opinions are likely equally worthless.  Now, I am not above making the occasionaly typographical mistake.  I don't hold those against anyone.  Even a grammatical error is okay, if the intentions are honest.  Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone, and all that.  But, what can we do?  The people who actively violate the points you've outlined above, don't give a rat's ass what anyone else says.  In fact, I think they enjoy irritating everyone else.  Being a moron is cool.