#1 Posted by Largo6661 (335 posts) -

Hello all, could anyone point me in the direction of a good space stratergy game. Ive been looking at stuff like X3 and sins of the solar empire stuff like that. Ive always loved stratergy games but never played one in a space setting so i was hoping you guys could help me out. Any suggestions?

Thanks

#2 Posted by Knave (548 posts) -

Starcraft 2

#3 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -
#4 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

Are you looking for anything in particular. All the space strategy games I know of are very, very different from each other.

• Galactic Civilizations II
  • Master of Orion
  • Sins of a Solar Empire
  • Nexus
  • Sword of the Stars
#5 Posted by Largo6661 (335 posts) -

@Ubersmake: I was looking for something that focused less on war and more on trading , diplomacy, colony building etc. thanks for the reply

#6 Edited by dub_step_masta (10 posts) -

X3 Get it!!!!. Its not so much a strategy game as it is a space simulator. Its basically an open world space sim with a very interesting economy system.

#7 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

For space sims, get Sol: Exodus. It will come out soon, this month? Old school favorite picks are of course Freespace 1 and 2 and Freelancer. I can't get into X3 myself.

For RTS, I'd say Homeworld 2 or Sins of a Solar Empire.

#8 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Sins is held in high regard. Also Galactic Civ 2, Homeworld/s, Sword of the Stars.

Personally, I really liked Nexus - The Jupiter Incident, which is more tactical than strategic, but definitely worth playing I think.

#9 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

I would say Homeworld or Freelancer. Or Kerbal Space Program. http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Too bad there aren't any more realistic space-sims. I want to die out in space because I ran out of oxygen. Or there was a cabin fire.

#10 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

@Largo6661: Off the top of my head, I can't think of any real-time strategy games that focus on what you're looking for. In the turn-based space, Master of Orion is a classic. Galactic Civilizations 2 is a more modern take on the formula, although both games are very different in scope. And there's also Alpha Centauri, although your scope is a single planet in that game. As for flying a ship around, you could give Privateer a shot. There's a free version at http://privateer.sourceforge.net/. I don't think you'll be able to totally get away from war, but you can focus on other things in these games to make up for a lack of murdering.

#11 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

The only one I've really played is Sins and it's quite fun with friends.

#12 Posted by slyely (154 posts) -

I really enjoyed Galactic Civilizations 2 and it is a definite must play if your looking for a space strategy game (plus you can probably pick it up with expansions pretty cheap now)...another one I have recently played is Gratuitous Space Battles, but GSB is more about planning then watching how your plan plays out.

#13 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

If you're serious about it, then games likes Sins and X3 are up there. If you want more casual stuff, I cannot recommend enough Freelancer, one of my favorite games of all time. It still holds up pretty well, in my opinion.

#14 Posted by jonnybob (166 posts) -

@Largo6661: Count me as another person recommending Freelancer, I went so far as to buy the game in its original box I liked it so much, I don't even know how many hours I sunk into it when I was in college. It is a fantastic game.

#15 Posted by Zelyre (1193 posts) -

@Largo6661 said:

@Ubersmake: I was looking for something that focused less on war and more on trading , diplomacy, colony building etc. thanks for the reply

You've pretty much narrowed it down to Galactic Civ 2.

#16 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

@Largo6661 said:

Hello all, could anyone point me in the direction of a good space stratergy game. Ive been looking at stuff like X3 and sins of the solar empire stuff like that. Ive always loved stratergy games but never played one in a space setting so i was hoping you guys could help me out. Any suggestions?

Thanks

X3 is spectacular but be prepared for the heaviest learning curve you can imagine.

#17 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

Space Rangers 2 can be quite a bit of fun.

#18 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Master of Orion 2 off good old games.com

Also I'd suggest gratuitous space battles with the expansion pack if you want something newer.

#19 Posted by BoG (5188 posts) -

Galactic Civilizations 2 is a lot of fun. It's my favorite space simulation game, and highly recommend it.

#20 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@BoG: It was good, but a tad overkill for my taste and very cluttered. What I'd love to see is a proper reboot of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Just slap the Civ V engine on it and don't change anything else.