Need a good space sim

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By largo6661

Hello all, could anyone point me in the direction of a good space stratergy game. Ive been looking at stuff like X3 and sins of the solar empire stuff like that. Ive always loved stratergy games but never played one in a space setting so i was hoping you guys could help me out. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Knave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Knave

Starcraft 2

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By tekmojo
Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you looking for anything in particular. All the space strategy games I know of are very, very different from each other.

• Galactic Civilizations II
  • Master of Orion
  • Sins of a Solar Empire
  • Nexus
  • Sword of the Stars
largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By largo6661

@Ubersmake: I was looking for something that focused less on war and more on trading , diplomacy, colony building etc. thanks for the reply

dub_step_masta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By dub_step_masta

X3 Get it!!!!. Its not so much a strategy game as it is a space simulator. Its basically an open world space sim with a very interesting economy system.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By gosukiller

For space sims, get Sol: Exodus. It will come out soon, this month? Old school favorite picks are of course Freespace 1 and 2 and Freelancer. I can't get into X3 myself.

For RTS, I'd say Homeworld 2 or Sins of a Solar Empire.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Sins is held in high regard. Also Galactic Civ 2, Homeworld/s, Sword of the Stars.

Personally, I really liked Nexus - The Jupiter Incident, which is more tactical than strategic, but definitely worth playing I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say Homeworld or Freelancer. Or Kerbal Space Program. http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Too bad there aren't any more realistic space-sims. I want to die out in space because I ran out of oxygen. Or there was a cabin fire.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Largo6661: Off the top of my head, I can't think of any real-time strategy games that focus on what you're looking for. In the turn-based space, Master of Orion is a classic. Galactic Civilizations 2 is a more modern take on the formula, although both games are very different in scope. And there's also Alpha Centauri, although your scope is a single planet in that game. As for flying a ship around, you could give Privateer a shot. There's a free version at http://privateer.sourceforge.net/. I don't think you'll be able to totally get away from war, but you can focus on other things in these games to make up for a lack of murdering.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By emergency

The only one I've really played is Sins and it's quite fun with friends.

slyely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By slyely

I really enjoyed Galactic Civilizations 2 and it is a definite must play if your looking for a space strategy game (plus you can probably pick it up with expansions pretty cheap now)...another one I have recently played is Gratuitous Space Battles, but GSB is more about planning then watching how your plan plays out.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Winternet

If you're serious about it, then games likes Sins and X3 are up there. If you want more casual stuff, I cannot recommend enough Freelancer, one of my favorite games of all time. It still holds up pretty well, in my opinion.

jonnybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By jonnybob

@Largo6661: Count me as another person recommending Freelancer, I went so far as to buy the game in its original box I liked it so much, I don't even know how many hours I sunk into it when I was in college. It is a fantastic game.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zelyre

@Largo6661 said:

@Ubersmake: I was looking for something that focused less on war and more on trading , diplomacy, colony building etc. thanks for the reply

You've pretty much narrowed it down to Galactic Civ 2.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Jadeskye

@Largo6661 said:

Hello all, could anyone point me in the direction of a good space stratergy game. Ive been looking at stuff like X3 and sins of the solar empire stuff like that. Ive always loved stratergy games but never played one in a space setting so i was hoping you guys could help me out. Any suggestions?

Thanks

X3 is spectacular but be prepared for the heaviest learning curve you can imagine.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Space Rangers 2 can be quite a bit of fun.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lockwoodx

Master of Orion 2 off good old games.com

Also I'd suggest gratuitous space battles with the expansion pack if you want something newer.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By BoG

Galactic Civilizations 2 is a lot of fun. It's my favorite space simulation game, and highly recommend it.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lockwoodx

@BoG: It was good, but a tad overkill for my taste and very cluttered. What I'd love to see is a proper reboot of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Just slap the Civ V engine on it and don't change anything else.