Need help with "The Catacombs" in Dark Souls.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I am not at The Catacomb area of Dark Souls, pretty late in the game and I am currently level 82, with a lighting shield of +%. Queelog Sword and some various armor. I feel I am very well prepared for the area, however, I am noticing that while entering I wasn't having a problem with the skeletons. I do very high damage on them, but they keep coming back. I noticed that killing a magic user a little ways in, helped with killing them, as they were being resurrected by this enemy. I still wanted to know, is this what to expect from this area? Do I need to prepare a little more? If so, then what should I have? If I am well prepared, then what exactly should I be wary of? Any help would be appreciative. Thanks in advance.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TentPole

Just bum rush those mages.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TentPole: That's what I was thinking. Still the bosses in this area shouldn't be too much a struggle for me, should they?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TentPole

Just watch out for the pit of skeleton wheels and dark knights. You should be fine at that level but it is Dark Souls so you are going to get fucked up a couple of time till you get it down.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

Yeah killing the lantern guys should prevent the skeletons from respawning. Having said that, using a holy weapon (Andre can forge you one) can kill the skeletons and prevents them from resurrecting. But yeah the majority of the area is pretty much this. Some of them are out of reach or hidden somewhere you might need to do a bit of exploring to prevent them from bringing the skeletons back. Thankfully, the lantern guys don't respawn when you use a bonfire (as far as I can remember anyway.) Apart from that there's nothing particularly noteworthy. Here's a tip, there's a hidden bonfire in this level. You can actually see if if you're observant but I'll let you figure a way to get to it.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Turambar

You could just make yourself a divine weapon and the skeletons will stay dead.  Also pinwheel, the boss of the place, is hands down the second easiest boss in the game after gaping.  You'll be fine.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@Turambar: I literally beat him on the first try when not even trying. It was close because I wasted 95% of my health fighting things that don't matter XD

Ended up with the win with a hair of health left.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By PerryVandell

@PainGod89 said:

@TentPole: That's what I was thinking. Still the bosses in this area shouldn't be too much a struggle for me, should they?

Don't recall there being any bosses in the Catacombs unless you count the guy who guards the Tomb of the Giants entrance (I call him Skeletor). Just kill the mages who respawn the skeletons and you should be good. Good luck with your fight against Nito!

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By strainedeyes

Make a Divine weapon. The skeletons will stay dead, and it will help you out with the boss battle in the Tomb of Giants.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I'm just hear to say that killing a skeleton with a holy weapon killing em for good is really damn cool.

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Enns

Divine weapon and a bow for sniping when needed should do the trick. I always tried to stealth my way past the wheel skeleton guys, then book it when caught. I remember making some leap of faiths for shortcuts too.. just have some pebbles ready to check.

I was no where near your level when I finished the game the first time, you are probably more than strong enough to own anything if you equip the right stuff and use the right tactics. Good luck, that place was crazy dark and only gets darker the further you get in.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ventilaator

Boss in that area is impossibly easy. I cannot even comprehend how it's possible to die there.

But yeah, what you need to know has been said already. The mage-guys don't respawn so if you find yourself overwhelmed by infinite skeletons, just bumrush the mage. If you die, the next time through will at least be against non-infinite enemies.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By TobbRobb

I just bumrushed through the skeletons like a man and killed the shaman fuckers. But if that sounds like a bad idea to you, then you can make Divine weapons at the blacksmith. They kill the skeletons FOR GOOOOOOD. You should have one anyways for one of the later bosses. Makes him pathetically easy.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By Draugen

Like @Ventilaator said, the boss in the area is really easy, probably the easiest in the game. I've gotten around the game three times, and I've never spent more than 20 seconds beating him. I'm not not a good Dark Souls player. :)

As for the lantern-doods, I would suggest bringing a bow and arrow. You can usually see them pretty far off if you're paying attention, and you are able to fire off arrows faster than they can fire back. And at least you only have to kill them once.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Shady

You should buy the light spell for when you enter Tomb of the Giants. Otherwise, you're going to have to move really slow. Also, you can totally trust Patches.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PerryVandell: Nito is my only real frightening thought. Is he pretty difficult, or should I be well prepared for now?

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By PerryVandell

Nito looks intimidating but I found him to be one of the easier bosses. If you're level 84 and have decent equipment then he should be a push over.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By benspyda

@Shady said:

You should buy the light spell for when you enter Tomb of the Giants. Otherwise, you're going to have to move really slow. Also, you can totally trust Patches.

I think I wore one of those hats that lights your way for Tomb of the Giants. That's pretty much the only thing you need to be wary of is the pitch black darkness of that area.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sbaitso

Like everyone else said, divine weapons, and some sort of light for tomb of the giants, I used the skull lantern and that worked out just fine for me, and I believe it's found in either catacomb or tomb of the giants, can't quiet remember tho, and yeah don't sweat pinwheel or nito, they're not too bad. I actually didn't do catacombs till late game either, was around high sixties in level then, and took pinwheel out in literally like 5 hits, I didn't know what to think of that afterwords. Also, what's with darksouls liking to make you have to go down drops that will force you to lose health, kinda messed up in a non-darksouls way.