Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

Link

It's not the first time they talk about this game, but it was on hold. That it exists at Pax seems to confirm it will finally be avalaible one day.

Well that's weird, I've finished my second 100% run of Super Meat Boy yesterday. Yes, I'm bragging (the last level is called brag rights anyway).

I'm excited for this, as SMB is one of my favorite game ever made. I doubt it will be as great and I figure the scale is going to be pretty small, but I still can't wait to play it.

Thoughts?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

The basic feel of the Super Meat Boy gameplay is good enough that I think this could definitely work assuming the level generation works well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The basic feel of the Super Meat Boy gameplay is good enough

Totes. Don't change the 'physics' of the game; do whatever else you want.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316

Hmm.... this looks a lot different than something like Temple Run. At least by the teaser, maybe it's a procedurally generated platformer akin to Cloudberry Kingdom?

Edit: Here, read this:

Super Meat Boy: Forever, Fact Sheet.

SMB:F is a totally new touch based super meat boy game for Phones, Tablets and Steam made by Myself and Tommy Refenes.

Our goal with SMB:F is to design a new full length platformer for touch devices from the ground up to avoid tacking bad controls on an existing design. we want to make something that embodies the original Super Meat Boy but is designed around a simple yet intuitive control scheme allowing for pin point accuracy and surprisingly deep controls without the use of multiple buttons/analog sticks.

FAQ:

- SMB:F will release sometime next year for phones, tablets and steam. (possibly others but this is all we have set in stone right now)

- SMB:F will feature a full story, 6 chapters, and double the bosses the original game featured.

- SMB:F is not an endless runner, but will feature an endless mode with online high scores and daily runs.

- SMB:F will feature a full fledged dark world featuring dark warp zones, bosses, new playable indie game characters and more.

- SMB:F will feature a vast randomly generated level structure that ensures a totally new play experience with each death.

- SMB:F is only 2 months into development, but as you can see things are moving pretty fast.

THE NOT'S:

- SMB:F is not a simple endless runner

- SMB:F will not use abusive $ tactics to drain your wallet and cheapen the game experience

- SMB:F is not a port of super meat boy

- SMB:F is not a one button game

- SMB:F is not exclusive to phones/touch screens

Other info:

- Mewgenics is not canceled, we just put it on hold to work full time on this one. once SMB:F is released we will hop back on it.

- A Voyeur for September is not a new game, it was just a code name (and anagram) for Super Meat Boy Forever that tommy made up on the spot a day before pax needed a name for the game we were showing (he wanted it to be a surprise)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That could be fun! Might even be easier.

thevgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Do they even know what they're doing? I don't know anyone who asked for a tablet version of SMB but plenty who wanted a sequel. Between this, Binding of Isaac Reborn and putting Mewgenics on hold, whatever that game ends up being, I don't know what to make of that team. I suppose them being weird shouldn't be surprising, but this isn't the good type of weird.

And before someone corrects me, yes, I do know Reborn is being made by "Team Meat" proper, only about half of the team.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want a sequel. I feel Super Meat Boy is as good as it can be without losing its identity. Do something new.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do they even know what they're doing? I don't know anyone who asked for a tablet version of SMB but plenty who wanted a sequel. Between this, Binding of Isaac Reborn and putting Mewgenics on hold, whatever that game ends up being, I don't know what to make of that team. I suppose them being weird shouldn't be surprising, but this isn't the good type of weird.

And before someone corrects me, yes, I do know Reborn is being made by "Team Meat" proper, only about half of the team.

Look at the sales. They definitely know what they are doing. They are making the games they want to make and they are no longer financially restrained from doing whatever they find interesting. There's definitely an audience for their products.

I also like the idea of calling 1 person out of a 2 person team "about" half the team.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevgamer: Why so negative?

I doubt a sequel to Super Meat Boy would be interesting in any way, as the game is already the perfect platformer. Sure you could add new levels, but there's already a lot in the base game. And that come from someone who love the game.

Wait for it before judging, it could be good!

Also, Super Meat Boy was such a success they're basically rich now, so I guess they're just doing what they want at the time. They hinted at a mobile Super Meat Boy before starting MewGenics but stopped working on it to start MewGenics. They're free to do whatever they want.

thevgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: To me it just seems like they've lost the edge that made McMillen make bajillion games he had to make in order to survive. And yes, that edge was the "oh god, I have to make something if I want to survive" kind of unhealthy edge but constraints very much promote creativity. And we know they do good work under constraints because McMillen built The Binding of Isaac in a short time span, in Flash, and contributed in making rogue-likes the new 2D indie platformers.

What they're doing now seems like pointless meandering but that's just me.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

This is what "A Voyeur for September" was? What a weird fucking trailer!

At least this means they are gunna go back to MewGenics soon. Right? Right?!

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Oh yeah, they talked about Super Meat Boy Mobile a while ago. I thought they released it, I forgot about it. Kind of excited now that it's coming to PC.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13 chaser324  Moderator

@bollard: "A Voyeur for September" is an anagram of "Super Meat Boy Forever", and that's literally the only connection.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@bollard: "A Voyeur for September" is an anagram of "Super Meat Boy Forever", and that's literally the only connection.

Yeah that was how I found out the link. Surely they can't be making an actual FMV game too, right?

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Mysterysheep

@ezekiel: They've stated just about as much themselves in the past. I believe Edmund McMillen basically said he wouldn't want to revisit Super Meat Boy unless it were the characters in a game that played pretty differently. I know that the vine makes the game look near identical to the original but the different control scheme could mix things up a lot. This was basically the result of trying to port the game to touch-screen devices but realising they would have to design the game again from the ground up in order for it to actually play well. I imagine it's coming out on PC as well now because they felt it's turned out pretty differently to the original game.

Also, the something completely new will be Mew-genics.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16 BisonHero  Online

Man, I really want Mewgenics to come out.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, people should really check out this post. It explains a whole lot about what exactly this game is meant to be.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By TheMasterDS

Oh, it's an autorunner? Oh okay then. For a while there I thought they'd cracked the key to putting a good regular platformer on iOS. I don't know how to feel about them not doing that. I guess I'm let down because I would really like to play a regular platformer on iOS?

Odie_Esty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just...I just want meat boy on vita. I know there's a lot already but I want meat boy! And Transistor. And everything.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that's weird, I've finished my second 100% run of Super Meat Boy yesterday.

Does that mean all of it? Mine is at 101%.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd really consider changing the title of this thread because the developers straight up say "SMB:F is not a simple endless runner."

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RonGalaxy

Oh, it's an autorunner? Oh okay then. For a while there I thought they'd cracked the key to putting a good regular platformer on iOS. I don't know how to feel about them not doing that. I guess I'm let down because I would really like to play a regular platformer on iOS?

Its not like any other endless runner/auto runner though. Meat Boy does move on his own, but the platforming aspect looks very similar to what SMB was. Looking back on it, I never really stopped moving in the original SMB any way. My thumb was always fixed on the left/right position of the analog stick.

Just take a look at this gif. Does this look that much different than the original? I think they have cracked the code for making a good platformer on touch devices.

No Caption Provided

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#23  Edited By TheMasterDS

@rongalaxy: I agree, it looked great, but I assumed there was some control of directions because it looked so much like the original. There are definitely cases in the original where you needed to either jump up a single wall or fall straight down or wait out some cycle. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, but it's not a revelation. I think it's pretty cool how they apparently have pretty good fall cancel/diving tech to make it feel better. Still though it's not proper platforming. That is still unheard of on iOS.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Completed all the level, all the glitch level and have all the bandage. If you play on XBOX there's a bug where there is a bandage in Cotton Alley, but I'm on PC and that bug seems to be fixed.

@mysterysheep: Thanks for the link. Super useful..

@chaser324: Oh right! I did not even catch that.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Brendan

If this is basically like Rayman: Fiesta Run (and its predecessor) for phones but for Super Meat Boy, then that's awesome.

Edit: Also, Goddamnit to all these "cracked the code" comments, GO PLAY THE MOBILE RAYMAN GAMES. This has already been achieved!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

If this is basically like Rayman: Fiesta Run (and its predecessor) for phones but for Super Meat Boy, then that's awesome.

Edit: Also, Goddamnit to all these "cracked the code" comments, GO PLAY THE MOBILE RAYMAN GAMES. This has already been achieved!

Yeah, and the fact that the Rayman games were super cool makes me even more excited for this. Although I probably won't end up playing the phone version.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

New Super Meat Boy!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

Fucking this. Those Rayman games are so fucking good(and pretty difficult!).

It's not surprising the mobile Rayman games or that this new SMB work on mobile devices. Idk about most people but I play my platformers holding the run button and not stopping for anything. Taking out the analog controls doesn't do much in terms of hurting the experience for me.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Eaxis

I'm a bit sceptical about this game if I can't adjust where I land for example, it's still super early in development so we'll see.