New Xbox 360 Slim w/o HD?

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By EmuLeader

I just recently purchased the new Xbox 360 slim, and when i went to connect it, i realized there were no component cables for HD.  There was only the normal AV jacks.  Is there a way to make it HD w/o having to go and buy extra cables?  It would be extremely dumb if Microsoft would release this with something even the original 360 had.  Its a HD system so why not allow the consumers to be able to play it that way from initial purchase?

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By zidd

360s have been shipping without HD cables for quite a while now. The elite i bought to replace my '06 pro model didn't have any HD cables in the box. Monoprice.com has cheap cables you can use. Sony didn't ship with HD cables from the start. Its funny because both companies say "Look at our awesome graphics in HD" and they can't do it out of the box.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jadeskye

the Jasper elites came with both component and HDMI cables. Shame they went back on that.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By alternate

HDMI cables are very cheap - although this also makes MS seen especially dumb for not throwing one in.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ShaunassNZ

They've been like that for ages now it sucks, but I need HDMI and the new 360 I'm getting comes with HDMI!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah order an HDMI cable for cheap off the internet. Don't buy in-store unless "getting it today" is worth the extra $40+ bucks.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iam3green

they have been doing it for a while now. I'm kind of surprised that they did that, still. slim with konect they should came with them. your going to have to buy component or HDMI cable. i suggest you get HDMI cable just because. don't buy it from a store because they are like $60 and online for like $5.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Supermarius

its t he same deal with the ps3 slim. Only composite cables in the box :(

59thstreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 59thstreet

Does the HDMI cable have the extra colored av jacks (green, blue, red) on one side and the hd port on the other, or just the two sides one that goes into the xbox and the other into the tv?  I just got the xbox slim and i'm pretty confused with how to get the hd set up, thanks for any help!

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By immike

Yup, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony all ship without HD cables. Are we playing on wooden TVs still? Where are my damn HD cables? lol

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Diamond

I heard that Sony just started to pack in HDMI cables with PS3 Slims?

But yea it sucks, my HDTV only has 1 HDMI slot which I'm using with my PS3.  I'm gonna use my old 360 component cable...

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By agentboolen

Wow I can't believe they didn't put in any hd cables???  Why even bother with RCA's!!!!  And yea just EBAY a cheap HDMI cable or go to a store and grab the cheapest ones around.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DystopiaX

Just get like a 12 dollar HDMI cable. 

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By JCGamer
@59thstreet said:
" Does the HDMI cable have the extra colored av jacks (green, blue, red) on one side and the hd port on the other, or just the two sides one that goes into the xbox and the other into the tv?  I just got the xbox slim and i'm pretty confused with how to get the hd set up, thanks for any help! "
HDMI has a thin long looking USB-mini type plug that is the same on both sides:  HDMI will output both audio and video (if your TV/receiver will accept it).  The only other cable that will let you have HD are component cables (they have 5 plugs, 2 for audio and 3 for video):  If you want digital audio for this thing, you will need to have something that will accept a digital audio signal like a receiver and use an optical cable.  It sounds like the cables that come with the 360's nowadays are RCA cables (3 plugs:  2 for audio, and 1 for video)--these cables will NOT allow you to see anything in HD, and if you want digital sound (dolby digital 5.1, DTS etc..) you also need an optical cable.
 HDMI port on the 360
 HDMI port on the 360
 Optical cable
 Optical cable
 RCA cables
 RCA cables
 Component cables
 Component cables
   HDMI cables
   HDMI cables
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60

I don't need another one,  I would just move it from my PS3 to my xbox. They are sitting right next to eachother.

TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By TheDoorman

Well I dont have a HDTV so the composite cables are all I need. The lack of HDMI doesn't bother me at all.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By alternate
@TheDoorman said:
" Well I dont have a HDTV so the composite cables are all I need. The lack of HDMI doesn't bother me at all. "
Does the size of in game text :P
59thstreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 59thstreet
@JCGamer: Yeah we ended up having an extra HDMI cable from a FIOS box we had to get rid of so I can definitely use that, I like how it's more or less universal for most HD TVs nowadays, thanks for the help!!  I have to say I pretty confused when I opened the xbox, it's a hit below the belt to gamers and an irritating attempt by Microsoft to save money.  I noticed I'm lagging a lot on Call of Duty MW2 live, I think it's the wi-fi on the new unit is there a way to speed that up? 
mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By mosdl

I bet stores pay sony/ms/nintendo to not ship the cables so they can sell them $40 cables.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ineedaname

I paid like £5 for one =/
They're not much at all.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ch13696

I have way too many HDMI cables. I bought one for my PS3 and one came with my 360. I bought a HDMI splitter when I first bought an HDTV and that came with an HDMI cable. When I first moved into my house I ordered 5 HD cable boxes and all of them came with HDMI cables. I returned 4 of them and now I have 4 extra cables lying around. Oh and I bought 2 15' HDMI cables when I mounted my TV. So that's a total of 10 HDMI cables. 

Though as cheap as they are, about $10 a piece right? I'm surprised Microsoft or Sony ships their consoles with one. 

@immike:
 Seriously, I don't think I have a single standard television in my house anymore. Though Reggie from Nintendo said so many times that they don't need HD.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

cablestogo.com

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Andorski
@Zidd said:
" 360s have been shipping without HD cables for quite a while now. The elite i bought to replace my '06 pro model didn't have any HD cables in the box. Monoprice.com has cheap cables you can use. Sony didn't ship with HD cables from the start. Its funny because both companies say "Look at our awesome graphics in HD" and they can't do it out of the box. "
I definitely recommend Monoprice.  All my HDMI cables are from there and everything works perfectly.  If you buy 6' HDMI cables (which is usually the length you need unless you have some crazy theater set-up) for over $10, you are getting ripped off.
zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By zidd
@Andorski: I reccomend buying cables you need from there all at once because sometimes the shipping is more expensive than what you actually purchased. I actually bought an HDMI switch and cable from Newegg.com for a pretty good price.
senote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By senote

As someone else said they very likely leave the cables out so that stores can sell you one. Given that MS and Sony used to make a loss on each console the profit margin for the retailer can't have been that good either, which is why they were rarely ever discounted for anything other than as a loss leader. That's also why you don't get a battery pack, charger, charging cable, remote control etc, the accessories are all higher profit. 

Is the new console really that much quieter than the current one? At the moment I install all the games I play to the HD so that I don't get the annoying disc spinning, will it be noticeably better on the new console?