NEWS

Emphatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Emphatic

I've been visiting Giantbomb for over a year now. I first became a fan of the podcast and more recently have been enjoying the wacky yet informative videos. And let's face it; Ryan, Brad, Jeff, and Vinny are some of the most entertaining dudes to watch and listen to out there, regardless of whether you are into video games or not. I WANT to become a member but there's one issue I've always had and that is with the news coverage. It simply isn't comprehensive enough for me to make Giantbomb my primary video game website. I've always been willing to look past this shortcoming and use alternative websites for my news needs. However, if I'm considering a membership (and I really am!), Giantbomb needs to be my one-stop gaming website. I need to be able to visit Giantbomb and KNOW what's going on in the industry.  I've worked for small gaming websites in the past as a news editor, it doesn't take THAT much time to get those press releases up and write a small blurb summarizing the main points. 

Does anyone feel this way about the news? Am I off my rocker or what?

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By buzz_clik

Funnily enough, there's a contingent of Giant Bomb users who feel there's too much news, or at least too much news of questionable importance. Me, I don't mind either way - it's not really why I come to the site, but if there's an interesting enough story I'll click on it.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By face15

I feel like the news that is here is usually the stuff that I actually care about. It may not be extremely comprehensive, but there's enough to highlight the most important announcements.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I think the main problem is the guys at Giantbomb don't want to just put up press releases. Or even summarize them for that matter. 
If they start doing that they are just a megaphone for what any video game developer or publisher wants to say. 
And it's the same information anyone could find at any other website. 
So Giantbomb differentiates, it only reports on the news that they think the users would care about. Just like they do with the games. 

Otherwise, before long, we're flooded with news on DS titles about My little Pony or Hannah Montana. 
And I already pre-ordered those games.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By niamahai

so long it does not become kotaku. ugh.

woodroez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By woodroez

I feel like they touch on all the important stuff, one way or another.  Maybe they aren't consistently the fastest or the most comprehensive, but they hit all the important beats and the main staff especially always bring a little something of their own to the story  that makes it more enjoyable to read than someone just posting press releases.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By empfeix

It's impossible imo to be a one stop gaming news source.  I've yet to visit one gaming website which fills all my gaming news.  Some concentrate on consoles, some PC's, some mmo's.  I need to visit different ones to get specifics on each. 

Kind of a futile request, unless you are just asking for more news then they give now.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By niamahai

does anybody know a good games rumor site? There was one surfergirl and bitchX last time.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pinworm45
@face15 said:
" I feel like the news that is here is usually the stuff that I actually care about.  "
This. Very rarely is something that I actually care about missed by Giant Bomb, and there's not many articles that I don't care about. Although there is the occasional thing that doesn't necessarily fit. I mean, how much of Giant Bombs userbase cares about a Shaun White Skateboarding Game? 

But for the most part it's perfectly fine and while I used to go to Gamespot to get 'real news', I've pretty much phased that out and generally don't miss much. I don't mind if I get the info a day later, either.
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Synthballs
@Pinworm45: I'm always looking for more Skateboarding awesomeness. So, me for one.
jimmy5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By jimmy5150

I personally like that the news is just what the giant bomb dudes pick out as "worth covering".  It kind of goes along with the personalized vibe of everything done on the site.  I also think it is kind of impossible to have a one-stop gaming website these days.  For example, as a PC gamer I love reading Rock Paper Shotgun's content.  Think of the membership money as going toward all of the other original content that Giant Bomb produces.  After all, you shouldn't pay to read summarized press releases that every other video game blog is getting for free.