Next Call of Duty to have PS3 and 360 players playing together?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

Maybe this is a long shot, but if Activision truly wants to "MMO" Call of Duty like it says it wants to, maybe they are going to put both the PS3 and 360 version on the same servers? Check out this line from their press release: 

The platform will support in-game integration and bring online experiences and console play together for the first time.  

What do you guys think? Could they even do this? Technically and/or legally?
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

No and no

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Technically? Sure. MS have even put PC and Xbox 360 players together before. I think legally some sort of agreement would have to be worked out in terms of authentication software, though, something like this seems like it would benefit all parties so I doubt there would be much conflict there. 

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sort of doubt Sony and Microsoft would want that to/let that happen.  Maybe they mean your stats/level will transfer between consoles with a unified Call of Duty account?  Only way that would be helpful is if you have friends on different consoles though. 

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By samfo

Final Fantasy 11, that is all.
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By captain_clayman

technically it'd work but, legally...oh man.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AuthenticM
@SamFo said:
" Final Fantasy 11, that is all. "
I totally forgot that this game came out for the 360. Case closed!
bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By bigsmoke77

Oh man PS3 players would have to go up against actual organized teams with mics..........

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wouldnt that promote people to get a ps3 cause online is free? 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Aus_azn

No, no, and no.

I think the reasoning's pretty obvious.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RsistncE

MMO, Activision and Call of Duty, all in one sentence. That sentence was shit out of the devil's asshole.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Slaker117

PC and 360 maybe? Or with the Steam stuff going on, PS3 and PC. I doubt that you could get Sony and Microsoft to play nice on the console front.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LiquidSwords

Race War?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AuthenticM
@Aus_azn said:
" No, no, and no.  I think the reasoning's pretty obvious. "
What is the reasoning? Final Fantasy XI is playable on PC, Xbox 360 and PS2. All on the same servers. Why couldn't the most powerful video game company also do it?
Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zajtalan
@bigsmoke77 said:
" Oh man PS3 players would have to go up against actual organized teams with mics.......... "
hehe... no
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By benpack
@bigsmoke77 said:
" Oh man PS3 players would have to go up against actual organized teams with mics.......... "
95% of the games of CoD I played didn't have anyone trying to organize on the 360. Also I think it wouldn't be a proposed "console vs console" type deal.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aus_azn
@AuthenticM said:
" @Aus_azn said:
" No, no, and no.  I think the reasoning's pretty obvious. "
What is the reasoning? Final Fantasy XI is playable on PC, Xbox 360 and PS2. All on the same servers. Why couldn't the most powerful video game company also do it? "
FFXI charges a universal fee independent of Xbox Live. Thus, each pays the same amount per platform.

CoD is a huge seller for XBL. If CoD moved to that model, XBL would lose a lot of sales, and the balance would skew heavily towards the PS3/PC versions. And most gamers wouldn't be chuffed at the idea of buying two separate subscriptions to game.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

It could be done, but I doubt Microsoft and Sony would be willing to play nice long enough to actually let it happen. I would KILL to see them allow PC players fight against console gamers. It would be so funny to watch that I would buy them game just to do that. And I don't even like the call of doody games.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ch13696

I could see the PS3 version working with the PC version because of Steamworks. I can also see the 360 version working with the PC version because of Microsoft's LIVE platform. However, I extremely doubt that the PS3 version will work accordingly with the 360 version. As a matter of fact, if Activision is going to choose which platform will coincide with the PC, it makes me wonder what PC platform they're going to choose. Steam or Games for Windows Live? It's a freaking mindfuck.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mordukai

Doesn't MS and Sony have different network infrastructure? I think that would mean Activision will have to finance their own servers and then they will charge players for. They are looking for ways to charge players even further for playing online. That would give them the perfect excuse. 

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By spazmaster666

PC vs console may be more workable than console vs console but unless the console versions get lock-on targeting, there's not going to be much competition between PC and console players in a Call of Duty game.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Rockdalf

You do realize the only game that actually did this used separate servers and charged a monthly fee.  A better question to be asked is "why would they?".

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AuthenticM
@Rockdalf said:

" You do realize the only game that actually did this used separate servers and charged a monthly fee. A better question to be asked is "why would they?". "

Because they can? 

That's exactly what they are aiming: charging a monthly fee for Call of Duty multiplayer. If they do so, I would be inclined to believe that they would want to control every aspect of it, thus justifying them putting everything in the same server pool. And if everything is on the same servers, PS3 and 360 players would play against each other.
samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By samfo

God dammit, why does Activision ruin every single fucking franchise they own? At least they don't meddle with Blizzards stuff.... yet
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

i don't think they could do that. microsoft and sony would have a huge problem with that. i could see xbox 360 and pc working together because microsoft owns it. it might even be for windows live just because microsoft owns that. 

i could see them charging more money. people with xbox live would have to pay probably the $60 and then another $15. $15 is what most MMO's cost to play them. i would think that is what they would cost to have them work that out. activion could get off their asses and let people make their own servers or have them make the servers.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@SamFo said:
"God dammit, why does Activision ruin every single fucking franchise they own? At least they don't meddle with Blizzards stuff.... yet "

Id like to see them try. 
MyNameIsJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MyNameIsJoe

Shadowrun   ya'll

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AuthenticM
@iam3green said:
" i don't think they could do that. microsoft and sony would have a huge problem with that. "
And what would they do? Tell them "NO!"? I am sorry, but Call of Duty is the biggest trump card in the industry right now. Activision will do what Activision wants. And Sony and M$ will follow the money.
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By choffy21

Excuse my French but... Fuck that shit! I like having no mic's in PS3 lobbies. Voice chat, especially with kids bitching about dying from a cheater, or in a cheap way, get's real old real fast. 

Though, I suppose it doesn't matter. I'm done with CoD for a long time anyways.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DystopiaX

No and no. also, this was written for investors, so the sentence itself is most likely nonsensical. 
@AuthenticM
said:

" @iam3green said:
" i don't think they could do that. microsoft and sony would have a huge problem with that. "
And what would they do? Tell them "NO!"? I am sorry, but Call of Duty is the biggest trump card in the industry right now. Activision will do what Activision wants. And Sony and M$ will follow the money. "
Not entirely true. It's a symbiotic relationship- if both MS and Sony say no, which they will- it's the only thing that makes sense- and Acti doesn't back down, they just lost 90% of their game sales. CoD can't survive on PC sales alone, and a lot of console gamers don't play games on PC. Acti can't take that hit either. 

also, since when was using a dollar sign in ms still a thing? lame.
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@bigsmoke77 said:
"Oh man PS3 players would have to go up against actual organized teams with mics.......... "

You're so cool.
C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By C0V3RT

Cool. Little racist 13 year olds can yell at PS3 players who won't hear it because they don't wear headsets.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DystopiaX
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
" @SamFo said:
"God dammit, why does Activision ruin every single fucking franchise they own? At least they don't meddle with Blizzards stuff.... yet "
Id like to see them try.  "
They have a line in their financial statement/whatever that states that Blizzard MUST release 2 games by the end of 2012...not "when it's ready". In practice not a big deal, since a SCII expansion and D3 was due at that time already, and WoW expansions come out faster than that as well, but they are starting to meddle. 
@MyNameIsJoe
said:
" Shadowrun   ya'll "
PC to 360, not console to console. Huge difference.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Hailinel

It might happen, if it's a cold enough day in Hell, pigs learn to fly, Jesus is reborn, and the Mayan calendar apocalypse occurs all on the same day.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Miketakon

Yea...this would be a better idea if 360 didn't have exclusive maps.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xyzygy

Shadowrun made PC and 360 players work together, and Portal 2 will have the same with PS3 and PC. I don't see how the PS3 and 360 will be able to do this though. 

But wouldn't a competitive shooter have the obvious advantage on the PC side? Way more accurate firing. It would kind of be stupid to play against someone on the PC when you're on a console. 

@choffy21 said:

" Excuse my French but... Fuck that shit! I like having no mic's in PS3 lobbies. Voice chat, especially with kids bitching about dying from a cheater, or in a cheap way, get's real old real fast.  Though, I suppose it doesn't matter. I'm done with CoD for a long time anyways. "
Pretty sure that's what that little mute button is for. Or you know, just don't plug a mic in? It's not that hard of a task to overcome