No Quarter Podcast #1 -- The failings of Blu-Ray

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

Edited By zanzibarbreeze

If you'd like to listen, please do so. I'd love to hear some feedback.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

So THAT's why I have to wait so long in between acts. Wow, that's interesting What you said about the 360 - do you think maybe that's what Kojima meant when he said that it could have been done on the 360? 

But if the load times are so long, why the heck are there required installs? Shouldn't the installs help the game load even a little bit faster? That's my one major gripe with my PS3 - the required install which takes up massive amounts on my hard drive.  

Say, for instance, DC vs. MK. (I'm trying to think of a multiplatform game I had for PS3 - this is the only one) If the game runs exactly the same on the 360, why does the PS3 version require an install? Is it because of the slow disc read? Actually, after looking at some comparisons, the 360 version has less jaggies, sharper textures and better lighting (http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/others/0,39037627,62048782-8,00.htm). So why would this be so?

Another thing I've always wondered about Blu Ray - As long as there is competition, won't multiplatform games always try to be included in one disc of the smaller format? For instance, you don't see Prince of Persia, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Far Cry 2, Dead Space, etc. on multiple 360 DVDs... so why, then, is the Blu Ray supposedly superior if we're still getting the same great game (sometimes even with small graphical advantages) on one DVD disc? And even if it has to be more than one disc, is it really that taxing to take 3 seconds to put another one in? Part of me is thinking that Blu Ray was just kind of like a trojan horse to get PS3s into homes faster. 

Thanks for the Podcast, really cool :D

Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Kazu666

lolwut? Uncharted 2 had literally 2 loading screens and no install...and that's a failure? MGS4 chapter installs were a bit naff, but when actually playing through the game, having 3-4 hours in between each 1-2 minute chapter install wasn't actually that bad and didn't detract from the game at all. It's also less of a hassle than multiple discs (which 360 probably would have had) and it would have made a better game? you kidding me? MGS4 was probably the best game of 2008...developing it for 360 would have either no change to it at all, or make it worse.

Forza 3 has a semi-mandatory install for its second disc as it filled a DVD, you not gunna talk about DVD starting to fail? Guess not, thanks for letting me know i never wanna listen to your podcast ;D

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By PureRok
@Kazu666: I think you misunderstood what he said about Uncharted 2.

DVDs and CDs were slow when they were first put out to market, as well. As time passes Sony will (hopefully) be able to create faster drives. I personally don't own a PS3 (or a Bluray player) so I can't really comment beyond that.
nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By nethanel
@Kazu666: Seems like you read and understood his post completely. He is saying that blue-ray may have more space compared to DVD, but that may not be an advantage as the read speed is painfully slow, so games like uncharted basically make multiple copies of the game on the disc for faster load speeds,  putting blue-ray back at square one
CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CABBAGES

I have a ps3 and 360 and even tho i changed from liking ps3 the best to liking and buying most of my games for the 360 i think what you say about bluray is a load of pants. 
If MGS4 was made for the xbox it woudl be on multiple discs or stripped down. I like my 360 better and play it a lot more than my ps3 but i think the 360 would be better with a bluray drive in it and it would let developers make bigger and better games instead of tryin to fit them on a dvd.

Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Kazu666
@nethanel: I DID understand it actually, granted my point didnt necessarily come off too clear. What i meant was, the last 360 game i played was ODST..that was half the length of Uncharted 2 and looked half as good as it yet it did quite a lot of loading throughout, even with it installed. So Uncharted 2 is on the disc multiple times...if that is what allows a game like that to have no load times when a worse looking game on a DVD has a lot, i'd say the extra space on Blu-Ray is a BIG benefit and not 'back to square one' at all.
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By angelkanarias
@ZanzibarBreeze: wasn't mgs4 installed on the HDD? Anyways, maybe you are right, I have no clue on this matter, but I don't think the loading times would make mgs4 a better game in the XBOX360.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

He's not just talking about the loading times people, he's talking about the required Act installations everytime you want to go to play a different part of the story. I know for me, having me AND a friend play the same game on different profiles on the same PS3, he was at a different part of the game then me. Eveyrtime I would want to play I'd have to go through a damn install for my act, and then when he'd play, he would have to install again too. Which would require me to install again. And not only that, If I just wanted to play a difference save game I would have to do it. It's just kind of a really wonky design choice and "just because it's MGS" doesn't give it leeway. I would MUCH rather insert a separate disc than wait for those installs all the time.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@CABBAGES: What I'm saying is that if MGS4 was developed for the XBOX360, Kojima Productions would have paid less attention to the sound and made the game more balanced over all. They would have been forced to put all the game onto one DVD - I seriously doubt they'd consider multiple discs for a five act game where the majority of it is cutscenes - thus streamlining the way the game plays. On a DVD, because of faster disc read speeds, there would be much smaller installs and almost no load times, meaning that MGS4 would have been a much more enjoyable experience. Trust me.

@angelkanarias: I guess it kind of depends on how you feel about games. Load times may not bother you as much, but I just felt they broke up the experience too much, you know?
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Tylea002
@ZanzibarBreeze: Very, very nice podcast. You are very good at articulating your opinions and getting your points across without sounding, you know, really arsey about it. Compared to other one man podcasts, you held your own, and it didn't feel forced. I'll definitely look for future episodes. Though personally I'd say it would be much more interesting if you had other people on the show, whether it was guest or you got some friends to help you, because thats just my personal taste on podcasts, I like the conversational flow, and it will give much more personality and humour to what you've already got. And the music in the background gives it a kind of "story time" feel, which works, but the subject topics, in my view, would be better served by conversation and debate.

Just some advice, don't have to take it, but its pretty awesome and I'll keep a look out for it, and I'll subscribe the moment I find it on iTunes.
Ginger_Avenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ginger_Avenger
@Tylea002 said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze: Very, very nice podcast. You are very good at articulating your opinions and getting your points across without sounding, you know, really arsey about it. Compared to other one man podcasts, you held your own, and it didn't feel forced. I'll definitely look for future episodes. Though personally I'd say it would be much more interesting if you had other people on the show, whether it was guest or you got some friends to help you, because thats just my personal taste on podcasts, I like the conversational flow, and it will give much more personality and humour to what you've already got. And the music in the background gives it a kind of "story time" feel, which works, but the subject topics, in my view, would be better served by conversation and debate. Just some advice, don't have to take it, but its pretty awesome and I'll keep a look out for it, and I'll subscribe the moment I find it on iTunes. "
I agree, I enjoyed the podcast, but some guests would be nice. Good work.