3. NCAA FOOTBALL 10 (PS3) - 237,400    
  4. Wii Fit - 164,300  
  5. Mario Kart Wii - 156,600    
  6. Mario Kart DS  - 132,200  
  7. Pokemon Platinum (DS) - 116,400    
  8.  Fight Night Round 4 (360) - 116,400
  9.  New Super Mario Bros (DS) - 101,800
  10. EA Sports Active (Wii) - 96,800    
Hardware sales down 37% while software sales are down 26%  from last year numbers.  All around gloomy month. 
Interesting to note that  NCAA FOOTBALL 10 would have taken first place if not for NPD separating the units by system.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

On the bright side, Nintendo didn't get the top selling game of the month? 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai
@KaosAngel: Technically they didn't but in actuality they did...its the 2000 US elections all over again. LOL
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KaosAngel
@Mordukai: If you look at the top selling game, NCAA won.  If there was either the PS3 or 360, it would've sold the same units.  >.>
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

360 sales stable from last year, Wii down over 50%, PS3 down almost 50%

Really is time for a Wii & PS3 price cut at the least.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mordukai
@Diamond: I was looking at the sales as a whole.
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Oni
@Diamond said:
" 360 sales stable from last year, Wii down over 50%, PS3 down almost 50%  Really is time for a Wii & PS3 price cut at the least. "
I don't think a price cut would help the Wii. So many people already own one and nothing came out except Resort. Which I don't think would get a lot of people to buy a Wii, it would appeal mostly to the crowd that thought minigame collections and fitness games are rad in the first place, ie. people that already own one.
kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By kuwabaratheman

The Wii will probably get a huge boost for New Super Mario Bros. It's fallen far, but it's still in first. It was never going to stay on the pace it had forever, that was simply unsustainable. But it should stay in first for the rest of the generation, outside of maybe one or two months (like how the 360 narrowly beat in Halo 3's launch month).

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust

Why so many DSs sold?  Don't get me wrong, I love the little handheld and have had many a good gaming hour spent with it, but unlike Japan (DQ IX) there didn't seem to be any associated game released to warrant those numbers.  Is it all about Mario Kart still?   Are new casual gamers picking up a unit for one or two games and that's the reason for the consistantly high sales numbers here (stateside)?  I'm just wondering, appart from core gamers, what motivates an average person to buy a DS at this point in its life cycle. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By penguindust
@PeasForFees:  I thought NPD only tracked American retail sales...which explains the children, American children, at least.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By crunchUK

ouch the wii is doing so badly. It's doing better than all the others, but somehow its doing badly. it pleases me

also NPD is USA only or something right?

kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kuwabaratheman

The DS continues to have the best sales because it has the best lineup of games. There's such a vast library of games that it doesn't need big software releases to drive it's sales in any given month.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JJOR64

I can't believe that Mario Kart DS is still selling.  That game came out 2005?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16  Edited By RHCPfan24
@JJOR64 said:
" I can't believe that Mario Kart DS is still selling.  That game came out 2005? "
Yeah, I find that very surprising. This chart just tells me that there is NO chance that Wolfenstein will be Madden this month though.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By penguindust
@RHCPfan24:  Well, if you are referring to the bet, that is among Giant Bomb members, not the general public.  I guess they are going to look at all GB members who've registered their gamertags and calculate from that.  If it was going to be among the general public it would be a slaughter, and Jeff knows that.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24
@PenguinDust said:
" @RHCPfan24:  Well, if you are referring to the bet, that is among Giant Bomb members, not the general public.  I guess they are going to look at all GB members who've registered their gamertags and calculate from that.  If it was going to be among the general public it would be a slaughter, and Jeff knows that. "
Actually I was referring to the whole "if Wolfenstein sells more than Madden we will pay for your game" thing that came out of Raven Software. I have hope that Jeff may be right in his prediction though. The Bionic Commando/UFC fight was certainly close back then. But in terms of raw sales, yeah, Madden will win.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mordukai
@RHCPfan24 said:
" @PenguinDust said:
" @RHCPfan24:  Well, if you are referring to the bet, that is among Giant Bomb members, not the general public.  I guess they are going to look at all GB members who've registered their gamertags and calculate from that.  If it was going to be among the general public it would be a slaughter, and Jeff knows that. "
Actually I was referring to the whole "if Wolfenstein sells more than Madden we will pay for your game" thing that came out of Raven Software. I have hope that Jeff may be right in his prediction though. The Bionic Commando/UFC fight was certainly close back then. But in terms of raw sales, yeah, Madden will win. "
.I just want them to video the after effects of the Gin shot. though I want Dave to win, I would really love it if he had to take the shot because he personally himself said that it wont be good.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust
@RHCPfan24:  Exactly, which is why the Raven Software comment was about as safe a bet as can be made.  And it gave them a little free press in the meantime.
kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kuwabaratheman
@JJOR64 said:
" I can't believe that Mario Kart DS is still selling.  That game came out 2005? "
Well, it makes sense when you think about. There were 500,000+ new DS owners this month, and Kart and NSMB are the most likely games for them to buy with it.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JJOR64
@KuwabaraTheMan said:
" @JJOR64 said:
Well, it makes sense when you think about. There were 500,000+ new DS owners this month, and Kart and NSMB are the most likely games for them to buy with it. "
True.  Or buy they system with Pokemon.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Diamond said:

" 360 sales stable from last year, Wii down over 50%, PS3 down almost 50%  

Really is time for a Wii & PS3 price cut at the least. "

The Beatles: Rockband, Wii Fit Plus, New Super Mario Bros Wii, it's titles like that which sell masses of consoles for Nintendo in the West, They've already said this year there will be no price cut, why should there be? even when they're 50% down in sales they still trounce the competition lol. It's crazy.

I don't think we will until late next year, when a Black Wii will retail at full price alongside a reduced white console. 

Guitar Hero 5, Rockband Beatles, Muramasa and Metroid Prime Trilogy. will likely pull in some ample hardware sales.

Metroid Prime Trilogy         Wii       Compilation       August 24, 2009
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody     Wii     Adventure     August 25, 2009
Guitar Hero 5 (Complete Guitar Game)     Wii     Music     September 1, 2009
Mini Ninjas     Wii     Action     September 1, 2009
Muramasa: The Demon Blade     Wii     Simulation     September 8, 2009
Beatles: Rock Band (Limited Edition), The     Wii     Music     September 9, 2009

NHL 2K10     Wii     Sports     September 15, 2009
MySims Agents     Wii     Adventure     September 22, 2009 
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Diamond
@Linkyshinks said:
 The Beatles: Rockband, Wii Fit Plus, New Super Mario Bros Wii, it's titles like that which sell masses of consoles for Nintendo in the West, They've already said this year there will be no price cut, why should there be? even when they're 50% down in sales they still trounce the competition lol. It's crazy. I don't think we will until late next year, when a Black Wii will also retail at full price alongside a reduced white console.  "
Wii Sports Resort is a bigger name on Wii than those games, yet in the month WSR came out (this last month), Wii had it's worst month in years.  Generally, sadly enough, it seems this generation that games do not sell hardware, that goes for all platforms.

Outselling 360 by 25% is hardly trouncing, and it this rate 360 will soon be outselling Wii.

It's high time for a price cut anyways, and it will only benefit gamers.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KamasamaK

To expand on your lists:

Hardware

6.  PS2 - 108,000

Software (numbers unavailable)

11.  Wii Play (Wii)
12.  Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (Wii)
13.  Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) 
14.  UFC Undisputed (X360) 
15.  Punch-Out (Wii) 
16.  Transformers (NDS) 
17.  Prototype (X360) 
18.  Major League Baseball 2k9 (X360)
19.  The Legendary Starfy (NDS) 
20.  NCAA Football 10 (PS2)
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By EdIsCool

The bet confuses me I mean someone has a shot of gin..big deal the effect wont be really noticable...do they have more gin after?
Could my confusion come from being Irish?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Diamond said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

The Beatles: Rockband, Wii Fit Plus, New Super Mario Bros Wii, it's titles like that which sell masses of consoles for Nintendo in the West, They've already said this year there will be no price cut, why should there be? even when they're 50% down in sales they still trounce the competition lol. It's crazy. I don't think we will until late next year, when a Black Wii will also retail at full price alongside a reduced white console.  "

Wii Sports Resort is a bigger name on Wii than those games, yet in the month WSR came out (this last month), Wii had it's worst month in years.  Generally, sadly enough, it seems this generation that games do not sell hardware, that goes for all platforms.  Outselling 360 by 25% is hardly trouncing, and it this rate 360 will soon be outselling Wii.  It's high time for a price cut anyways, and it will only benefit gamers. "

Worst month due to the economic climate, that all are facing.  Software does increase sales significantly with Nintendo Wii, it always has,  Only this month Japan's hardware sales ballooned on the back of Monster Hunter 3.

Yeah well this slight dip is not going to last long, as I keep saying, wait till you see the figures within the next two months, I believe they will clearly show increased sales of both Wii hardware and software, The Wii software sold will dwarf anything on 360, mark my words. GH, Rockband, and Trilogy, are going to clean up, big time.

Even when things are shit, Nintendo still do great, that's why there's no price cut, they are raking it in despite. They could release the black Wii here if things were as bad as you make out, but Nintendo can afford to hold onto that ace until it needs to make some hefty sales. And you can be sure that it will sell in hefty numbers.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Diamond
@Linkyshinks said:
Worst month due to the economic climate, that all are facing. Yeah well this rate is not going to last long as I keep saying, wait till you see the firgures within the next two months,I believe they will show increased sales of both hardware and software on Wii, the Wii software sold will dwarf anything on 360, mark my words. "
Well, the month is apparently affecting the Wii worse than any other platform, and continues to have a further debilitating effect month after month.  It's been going on for more than 6 months now.  If it were the economy you wouldn't see the numbers rise any more than normal seasonal levels this year anyways.  As it stands I would predict 360 will actually outsell Wii 1-2 months before the end of the year, at least on NPD (US numbers).  Probably won't be by much, and maybe it will only narrow on Wii.  It's just that this has been going on a while.  

All the numbers are bound to be up for the holiday months later this year, but once again 360 is the only system holding steady while PS3 and Wii have been consistently down all year.  MW2 will be the best selling title, probably ODST #2.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks

6 months :?, where do you get that impression from, what figures, past NPD numbers?  There have been spurts of hardware sales in line with software releases as you would expect on a Nintendo platform. 

You cannot take one regions sales figures, draw conclusions and say it's true of the global picture.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By jakob187

Sony's HANDHELD sold more than their console.  MAN!  That's gotta sting a little.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Linkyshinks

It is crazy, It will look worse when the Go comes out.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Diamond
@jakob187 said:
" Sony's HANDHELD sold more than their console.  MAN!  That's gotta sting a little. "
Nintendo's handheld outsold their console by over 2 times...  I don't think either Nintendo or Sony mind if their handheld is doing well.

@Linkyshinks said:
" 6 months :?, where do you get that impression from, what figures, past NPD numbers? "
5 months actually, just looked it up.  NPD numbers.  Although Wii is also hurting worldwide compared to previous years, those Japan Monster Hunter numbers have really buoyed them there.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KamasamaK
@jakob187: It's definitely not the first time that's happened. And it happens with Nintendo all the time.
kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kuwabaratheman

The difference is that the DS is the best selling system in the world, while the PSP sells pretty poorly outside of Japan. That it outsells the PS3 during some months is a pretty poor reflect on the state of PS3 sales right now (although the slim should remedy that).

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KamasamaK
@KuwabaraTheMan said:

" The difference is that the DS is the best selling system in the world, while the PSP sells pretty poorly outside of Japan. That it outsells the PS3 during some months is a pretty poor reflect on the state of PS3 sales right now (although the slim should remedy that). "

The PSP has sold better in the US than Japan. But why does that matter anyway? And the DS still hasn't passed the PS2 to become the best-selling system, though that seems inevitable. Besides, we don't need PSP sales to tell us that PS3 sales are stagnating.
kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kuwabaratheman
@Kamasama said:

" @KuwabaraTheMan said:

" The difference is that the DS is the best selling system in the world, while the PSP sells pretty poorly outside of Japan. That it outsells the PS3 during some months is a pretty poor reflect on the state of PS3 sales right now (although the slim should remedy that). "

The PSP has sold better in the US than Japan. But why does that matter anyway? And the DS still hasn't passed the PS2 to become the best-selling system, though that seems inevitable. Besides, we don't need PSP sales to tell us that PS3 sales are stagnating. "
The hardware sales numbers are kind of close, however population difference comes into play here. In Japan the PSP is second only to the DS for this generation, and outselling all three current consoles. In the US, the Wii and the 360 have both surpassed the PSP sales by a fair amount. Relative to the competition the PSP is a beast in Japan, while it's not so hot in the US. That was my point. In Japan, the PSP regularly outsells all the consoles, so there's no shame in that. But in the US, you're doing pretty poorly if the PSP is selling better than you in a given month.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KamasamaK
@KuwabaraTheMan: Last I checked, population didn't factor into sales numbers. The numbers say the PSP sold about 37% more in America than Japan. And I wouldn't call 4% a "fair amount", which is approximately how much more the Xbox 360 has sold in America compared to PSP. I really don't see the point in bring up Japan, though.
kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kuwabaratheman
@Kamasama: They figure in to the extent that sales in general are higher in the US. My point was just that the PSP outselling a console (in the US) is a much rarer occurrence, and one that doesn't tend to be a good sign. Unlike with the DS, where that's perfectly normal no matter where you go.
JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39  Edited By JamesF

Nothing too surprising here.