Obscure Playstation Gems

Krakancat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What are some psx games that I might have overlooked? Cult classic, limited releases, or games that had poor marketing and never quite got the recognition it deserved. Playstation is my favorite console and I was hoping there might be some games out there I don't know about, but would love to play.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By damodar

Let's seeeee, off the top of my head...

Alundra isn't terribly obscure, but it's definitely worth bringing up. Basically, it's a rather well-made old school Zelda style game with some pretty unique story ideas, such as the main character's ability to enter the dreams/nightmares of others.

Incredible Crisis is a collection of super bizarre minigames centred around an insane day in the life of a Japanese family. My love for this game is shared by the crew and thus there is actually a video on the site. From memory, I don't know if they actually progress terribly far, because the game was designed for lagless CRT tvs and is totally unforgiving of their laggy capture setup.

The Tomba! series (aka Tombi in some regions, I believe) are really cute, well-made platformers that are quite decent. I'd also put Klonoa in the same basket.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Einhander, man.

Valkyrie Profile, One, maybe some Rogue Trip or Critical Depth?

nate6858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nate6858

Einhander is the first thing that comes to mind for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vagrant Story isn't particularly well known despite being the best game ever made.

It really depends on how you define obscure. Team Buddies is fucking incredible and Hogs of War is not bad either.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@csl316 said:

Valkyrie Profile

This. Despite the PSP remake and two sequels, it's still really obscure.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I remember really liking T'ai Fu: Wrath of the Tiger. Man, I played the hell out of that game when I rented it from Blockbuster.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HeyGuys

@hailinel said:

@csl316 said:

Valkyrie Profile

I want to play this game so bad, wish it was available digitally.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tail of the Sun

Tail of the Sun all the way.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#11 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Vagrant Story isn't particularly well known despite being the best game ever made.

Hear, hear.

Also, not sure how obscure they are but the two Lunar games are good.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really liked Ninja: Shadow of Darkness. It was my first PS1 game and I played a whole bunch of it.

I dunno if it was ever really good, but I enjoyed it.

Mainwaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played it in a loooong time so I can't really say if it still holds up, but I have fond memories of Silent Bomber.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Valor was a game was I was pretty obsessed with for a while when I rented it as a kid. I remember it being incredibly fun.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Original_Hank

I have a lot of good memories of Azure Dreams, although the game boy version of the game is actually the better version I think. It's pretty much like a pokemon game with a light roguelike element to it, (before that was cool.)

Edit: Seems that it was already mentioned, so I'll just second it!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't remember if it was good or not.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Suikoden, Wild Arms, Legend of Legaia, and Front Mission 3 are my usual PS Picks when a thread like this comes along. Also, I'll throw in some Vigilante 8 love.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Don't know how obscure it is, but Front Mission 3 is amazing to this day and on psn, if you like SRPG's I would definately check it out.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

The original Warhawk was a launch title that more or less immediately fell in love with. Give it a whirl if you can find it! Think we played it on UPF not too long ago.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By csl316

@heyguys said:

@hailinel said:

@csl316 said:

Valkyrie Profile

I want to play this game so bad, wish it was available digitally.

Oh, I actually thought it was. PSP version is fairly cheap these days but I do wish for a rerelease. That, and an HD upgrade to Odin Sphere (not PS1, but still).

Back in the day, I was able to grab one RPG in August of 2000. I got Chrono Cross over VP. And while I loved Chrono Cross, boy it was hard to find VP after a year or so. Luckily, Silmeria eventually came out and blew me away. I still have that Artifact Box sitting in my closet (because it's for cool guys).

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The thing about Einhander is that it costs $1 Billion Dollars.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#23 riostarwind  Moderator
notasfarwest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman is a weird third person action game with a super cheesy intro song that was developed by guys usually known for snowboarding games.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sinusoidal

Street Fighter Alpha 3 is hardly obscure, but the World Tour mode that was only included on the PS1 port definitely is. It's a completely different, completely broken Street Fighter that's a whole fucking lot of fun and Capcom totally shouldn't have abandoned it entirely. A friend of mine decked out his Blanka so he could take 80% of your health chip damage from his super combo. You had to actually block his Super Combo for it to do that much damage! He kicked my ass so bad so many times with that build. Somehow through all the crazy stat mangling, it was safer to just not block if he had the meter. It was a completely different way to play the game. It was amazing the crazy shit they let you get away with. It really makes me miss a less serious, more fun-focused Capcom. No fighting game has really done anything like it since, but they definitely should!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if these games are what you mean when you say obscure, but Legend of Legaia has an awesome battle system, the Breath of Fire games are great, and Vagrant Story is the best game ever made.

It wasn't. It really, really wasn't.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Descent was pretty good but I'm not sure if its obscure or not.

Power Move Pro Wrestling was really obscure but easily the best local co-op wrestling game ever made.

Avatar image for cabrit_sans_cor
cabrit_sans_cor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galerians and Koudelka. Despite the unfavorable view it got on a recent demo derby, I had a great time with Legend of Legaia back in the day. And if you haven't played Wild ARMs, then what's the matter with you?

I can forgive anyone for passing up Wild ARMs on first glance, though. That game's visuals... woof. Let's just say they haven't aged well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brave Fencer Musashi is a pretty funny action RPG. It might be a bit too dated for some, though.

Great game! That fight in the church where you had to hold off the vampires until sunrise blew my mind. I think this is the first game I played with a day/night cycle, and to have them use it in such an interesting way was really amazing! The collectibles in this game were also super cute. You would buy action figures of major characters, and then could look at them through a model viewer. The twist is that you didn't have to unbox them, so a thing I would do after buying a collectible was twirl the camera around it's case and make a big show of the "unboxing". When you took the figure out of the box you could click through pre-set poses, and also make them say a few of their stock phrases (catch phrases for the villains, attack SFX for monsters, etc). My only gripe was that you couldn't play with two figures at once, so I never got a chance to make the elaborate multi-character skits I wanted to.

I had a lot of friends as a kid, honest.