On music in video games

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

So, as you all know, Shadow Complex came out recently. It's an amazing game and all but there's something else (and Jeff noticed it too). There isn't really that much music in the game but, when it does happen to play, it fits perfectly. The best example I can think of would be when the water rises in the one part of the complex and when you go underwater, this slow, waltz-like classical piano plays. It's absolutely perfect.

One of the most surreal moments in the game.
Other games have gone the route of preferring silence over looping tracks such as the Half-Life series where music is scarce but it really hits when it does play (I think Dead Space as well, but I can't remember). Of course, there have been games with fantastic music that just plays throughout basically the entire experience (e.g.: the Persona series or Mass Effect).

So, my question is this: Do you prefer games that feature looping soundtracks that play throughout the entire game, or games that feature a scarce amount of music but use it to the advantage of evoking some kind of reaction from the player?
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

So, as you all know, Shadow Complex came out recently. It's an amazing game and all but there's something else (and Jeff noticed it too). There isn't really that much music in the game but, when it does happen to play, it fits perfectly. The best example I can think of would be when the water rises in the one part of the complex and when you go underwater, this slow, waltz-like classical piano plays. It's absolutely perfect.

Other games have gone the route of preferring silence over looping tracks such as the Half-Life series where music is scarce but it really hits when it does play (I think Dead Space as well, but I can't remember). Of course, there have been games with fantastic music that just plays throughout basically the entire experience (e.g.: the Persona series or Mass Effect).

So, my question is this: Do you prefer games that feature looping soundtracks that play throughout the entire game, or games that feature a scarce amount of music but use it to the advantage of evoking some kind of reaction from the player?
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

I don't really care. It depends on the genre, I guess.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

Hm. I like in Mirror's Edge how the music would kick in right when you bust down a door, things like that. But at the same time, for RPGs, I love listening to some beautiful soundtracks in the background.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

For me it really depends on how good the music is. I don't care if it's a looping soundtrack if the music is cool and doesn't get annoying. It can go either way

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

I like games with looping soundtracks. It's just more memorable for me, plus I don't have to go to YouTube and start playing old NES music.

dancingphlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By dancingphlower

I want to hear good music throughout the game.

Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Ken420

I tried to play Shadow Complex with the music off and put on some Chemical Brothers & Prodigy.  It was cool but definitely wasn't the same and made me appreciate the subtle music in Shadow Complex.  I never get sick of that horn stab after clearing each room.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@PureRok said:
" I don't really care. It depends on the genre, I guess. "
@xyzygy said:
" Hm. I like in Mirror's Edge how the music would kick in right when you bust down a door, things like that. But at the same time, for RPGs, I love listening to some beautiful soundtracks in the background. "
I can definitely see where this is coming from. The genre does play a huge role in how the music is implemented. RPGs have huge epic soundtracks that aren't really annoying as much as they are sort of in the back of your head and complimenting the fantastical world they are set in. But, then again, sometimes the lack of music really stands out. I can understand 2D overworld type games like the older Final Fantasies having non-stop music but in RPGs like Oblivion where there are ambient sounds, you'd be surprised by how striking a few minutes of silence would be (if you are walking through forests instead of fast traveling that is). 

@Ken420 said:
" I tried to play Shadow Complex with the music off and put on some Chemical Brothers & Prodigy.  It was cool but definitely wasn't the same and made me appreciate the subtle music in Shadow Complex.  I never get sick of that horn stab after clearing each room. "
I know what you mean, I tried the same thing but with metal instead of trip-hop/techno trance music. It definitely didn't feel the same.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Tireyo

Music helps set the mood and long term memory of a game. So music in video games can be important.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Bruce

Gotta be honest here: I prefer having Itunes running in the background of my 360 and having my TV muted. ^_^