Only DLC for the Next XBox??

BearSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BearSpark

Am I the only one who thinks that only having downloadable games for the next Xbox is a really shit idea? I like having a physical copy of a game. If everything is DLC, there'll be no pre-owned games which, whilst not give game producers further revenue, does enable people who don't have a bank full of money to buy games. Rumours abound of games not being sold for £30.00 but for £50.00+. You'll have no choice but to buy because you won't get to play the game any other way. Unless you hack which would make you a prick because all hackers are pricks.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258
Am I the only one

Yes. Absolutely. Goddamn it, you are the only motherfucker out of 7 billion other motherfuckers who think this.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SexyToad

I'm with you. I wouldn't like to have a collection of virtual games. I want a collection of games you can see and display.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By nightriff

I think it is inevitable till everything is digital, as long as everything is priced fair (it isn't) then I'm fine with that. I'll just move over to the PC full time and wait for Steam sales like I do now. That's what would change

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@believer258 said:

Am I the only one

Yes. Absolutely. Goddamn it, you are the only motherfucker out of 7 billion other motherfuckers who think this.

This is clearly an area of

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Justin258

@MariachiMacabre said:

@believer258 said:

Am I the only one

This is clearly an area of

I haven't seen Claude post in a while.

BearSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BearSpark

Additional, If the network goes down, you are well and truly FUCKED.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude
@believer258 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@believer258 said:

Am I the only one

This is clearly an area of @Claude's expertise.

I haven't seen Claude post in a while.

I'm here now and again. I lurk mostly now. I'm a busy bee nowadays. My life has changed immensely. And yes, the only one is always the only one.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@believer258 said:

Am I the only one

You do realize it's a figure of speech, right? No one actually thinks they're "the only one." Don't make yourself look like the asshole by trying to point it out in the OP.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By GunstarRed

I dunno if you remember this, but I totally remember games on the 360 being priced at £50 when it first launched. I'm pretty certain they'll be that price with the next round of consoles regardless of them being on a disc or not. As for everything being downloadable, not a chance thats happening with the next round of consoles.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Justin258

@Oldirtybearon said:

@believer258 said:

Am I the only one

You do realize it's a figure of speech, right? No one actually thinks they're "the only one." Don't make yourself look like the asshole by trying to point it out in the OP.

Yes, I know what he meant.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By tourgen

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not going to happen anytime soon - not in the next 10-15 years. With the way broadband companies are switching to pay-per-GB pricing models and colluding to hold the industry back while raising prices, it's just not going to happen. That doesn't mean we won't see more "innovative" DRM techniques that rely on constant connections and dubious server uptimes.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By crusader8463

As a PC gamer before all else I have lived in this far flung future of digital only games for about 4-5 years now and it's god dam amazing. Things like the below list far out weight any little downside to going digital. And this is just a list off the top of my head after a major sugar crash and half asleep at the keyboard:

• Not needing to worry about losing cd keys
  • No longer needing to swap out disks every time you want to play a new game.
  • Worrying about disks getting lost or broken years down the line.
  • Finding the god dam space to store all the boxed games.
  • Dusting the shelves full of boxed games.
  • Going out to the store to buy said games and dealing with the hassle of that shit.
  • Having all your games in one easy to access space.
  • The super low cost of digital games and giant bundles of games for dirt cheap. Though to be fair I'm sure the console makers will never match Valve in the crazy digital sales.
  • Being able to easily see what games you own and compare them with friends with just a few mouse clicks.

All of that said however, I have never bought a digital thing on consoles and don't foresee myself doing so for a long time; if at all. The main reason I can't justify it is because my PC is not a closed platform that gets thrown away and becomes obsolete every few years. When I buy a game on PC I know I will always be able to play it. Sure I may one day years from now need to jump through some hoops to get older stuff to work, but there is zero promise that 4-5 years down the road all the money I invested in a digital library on some console will even be usable.

So until they can promise me that if I buy into the whatever marketplace for whatever system I will always be able to access those games even when the Playstation 64 is being announced I just can't justify it. I have thousands of dollars invested in my Steam Library of 250+ games, and if that was on the PS3/360 and I found out that I couldn't play those on the PS4/X-Box 3 then I would be pissed beyond belief.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

@Oldirtybearon said:

@believer258 said:

Am I the only one

No, its a shitty figure of speech, especially in thread titles where its designed to sound polarizing to attract views and comments. Its like shitty journalism headlines that are exaggerated or slightly misleading to get as many people as possible to pay attention to what someone is saying. Its immature, its lame, it needs to go the way of the dinosaur. Fuck threads with "Am I da only one??" in them.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trylks

Next gen I'll be using PC and using mostly digital distribution, for several reasons, the main one that I won't get the usual alert "please insert the DVD to play", besides of saving space.

As @crusader8463 points out, I don't do that on consoles either. If from one day to another all my collection of console games became unplayable I would go postal.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16  Edited By zyn

@crusader8463 said:

As a PC gamer before all else I have lived in this far flung future of digital only games for about 4-5 years now and it's god dam amazing. Things like the below list far out weight any little downside to going digital. And this is just a list off the top of my head after a major sugar crash and half asleep at the keyboard:

• Not needing to worry about losing cd keys
  • No longer needing to swap out disks every time you want to play a new game.
  • Worrying about disks getting lost or broken years down the line.
  • Finding the god dam space to store all the boxed games.
  • Dusting the shelves full of boxed games.
  • Going out to the store to buy said games and dealing with the hassle of that shit.
  • Having all your games in one easy to access space.
  • The super low cost of digital games and giant bundles of games for dirt cheap. Though to be fair I'm sure the console makers will never match Valve in the crazy digital sales.
  • Being able to easily see what games you own and compare them with friends with just a few mouse clicks.

All of that said however, I have never bought a digital thing on consoles and don't foresee myself doing so for a long time; if at all. The main reason I can't justify it is because my PC is not a closed platform that gets thrown away and becomes obsolete every few years. When I buy a game on PC I know I will always be able to play it. Sure I may one day years from now need to jump through some hoops to get older stuff to work, but there is zero promise that 4-5 years down the road all the money I invested in a digital library on some console will even be usable.

So until they can promise me that if I buy into the whatever marketplace for whatever system I will always be able to access those games even when the Playstation 64 is being announced I just can't justify it. I have thousands of dollars invested in my Steam Library of 250+ games, and if that was on the PS3/360 and I found out that I couldn't play those on the PS4/X-Box 3 then I would be pissed beyond belief.

Steam is pretty awesome, and is the standard for all things digital. I will never buy anything digital on consoles, let alone DLC. There's always a chance that Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo (add EA to the mix if you want with Origin) can easily "disable" your digital license with some bullshit "sorry, it's not compatible with the new hardware/service" excuse.

For games to start being sold at £50+, no thanks, I'll wait until it's <=£30.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me all digital, all the time. I find physical copies of video games absolutely worthless to me anymore, as I don't trade them in or sell them, and modern games have virtually no collector's value. They could just as easily clutter my console's harddrive (which on the 360, they already do) instead of taking up physical space.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Fearbeard

If we could get decent sales on digital games like Steam and other PC game sites offer, then I'd have no problem embracing a digital future.

If they keep prices high for too long after a games release then chances are I'd be spending a lot less overall and buying a lot fewer games on console.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

It's not going to happen. The fucking idiots in the industry saying the next gan has to be digital only are either totally out of sync with the industry or trying to get publicity. It's just a story the big sites post to gather fucking clicks on ads.

Doctorzenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Doctorzenz

Many 360s are still not even connected to xbox live and many people still lack the necessary internet speed to download >8gb games in a fast way, so any console manufacturer would be dumb to alienate a huge part of the existing console owners. Maybe the generation after the next one will be download only, but not this one

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I'd love for there to be the option of going all digital on the Xbox Infinity, but I think that's about as unlikely as me purchasing a Wii U day one.

Sony might do it, as they've been pushing further down that path of late, and that might even be enough to get me back aboard the PlayStation train, assuming they don't do something to fuck it up early on like they did with the PS3.

It doesn't matter to me much either way though, as I'm primarily a PC man and I've been using Steam since it was a terrible server browser for CS 1.6 (or did it release with 1.5? I'm hazy)

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

It's not going to happen any time soon and certainly not next generation. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo's business models are still centered around brick and mortar retailers. Steam, GOG, Origin, etc. sell no hardware per se (any PC will do) and don't need to in order to get their product into your hands. Console manufacturers still need you to buy their specific platform to even begin selling you their games. Cutting retailers out of the more lucrative software market and still expecting them to take up valuable shelf space on hardware that carries a lesser profit margin isn't realistic. Direct to customer online only sales of the consoles won't cut it. Unless like Apple, the big three start opening their own stores world wide, telling WalMart to go fuck themselves would be a very bad financial idea. Even then, the still relatively poor high speed internet infrastructure in the US and things such as bandwidth caps by some ISPs add another level of difficulty to the process. In short, your console game disks aren't going anywhere for a while.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By bibamatt

I doubt it's going to happen in the next generation of consoles. There are still a big percentage of folk who don't have constant Internet access/access to cards to buy digital games that I can't see it going fully digital. If it went the way of the Vita - the option to buy everything digital... I'd be all over that. Bought four or five games digitally on my Vita, all cool. It pisses me off when I have to swap between the two games I've got physically when everything else is ready to go from the dashboard. Steam, Vita, iTunes and Netflix have shown me that I'm more than ok with digital distribution.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JoeyRavn

Downloading a complete, retail game is not what generally qualifies as "DLC". Hell, even XBLA games are not "DLC". Just sayin'.

On topic, I fully welcome the idea. Especially if Xbox and Sony do what they should and allow people to install their own HDDs without any major restriction. If you think about it, it's good for both parties: we can get as much storage as we want and need, and they get to cut down on manufacturing costs.

BearSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BearSpark

@crusader8463: Probably one of the most convincing arguments towards going PC over console I have ever heard.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By musubi

Physical media is dated. I'd much rather have a large HDD and tons of games on it. Terabyte drives are becoming more and more common. And lack of used games doesn't mean you can't get stuff for cheap. Steam regularly has sales. People need to look at what steam does with digital pricing and follow it. I'm running out of room to put shit. More and more discs that can get scratched or broken. No thanks.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By two_socks

Digital distribution is very much the future, but I have a very hard time believing the next set of consoles will ONLY be using that, simply because there is such a large portion of users who either don't connect to the internet, or don't want to. And then there's the complications that come with being an online-only-all-the-time service (see: Steam if your internet is down). What will probably happen is a much larger push towards getting big name, retail games out on their online shops on the same day as release, at either a comparable or somewhat cheaper price. I don't think it'll be all digital distribution until the next, next gen, at the very least.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Etnos

@believer258 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@believer258 said:

Am I the only one

Yes, I know what he meant.

Figure of speech or not "Am I the only one" sounds stupid.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Peanut

It won't happen anytime soon and I don't want it to. I don't give a shit about owning a physical thing, but I do care about bandwidth caps and the very serious cost of downloading gigs of data. I buy/play a lot of games every month and with the way the entire setup is (especially in Canada through big providers) there's no way in HELL I'd be able to stay within my cap and not end up paying hundreds of dollars extra on a monthly basis. It isn't realistic in the least to believe anything like this will happen in the near future.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#30  Edited By Kidavenger

My 30 long boxes of full comic books multiple shelving units for books/dvds/blurays and boxes full of old consoles/games make me look forward to an all digital future every time I move.

That said PSN / XBLA / Nintendo need to get their shit together because it's a rare day I ever see anything on those services that I'd ever buy that isn't at least 2x what it would cost anywhere else.

It's not like Steam is the only one doing it right(see Comixology/Amazon/GoG/Greenman/etc.), it's more like consoles are the only ones still screwing it up.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Don't worry, we're still a long ways off from all digital consoles. Personally, I kinda think that we may never see a day when consoles are all digital, or if it does happen, it'll be decades from now.

But that's just my opinion.

BearSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BearSpark

Wow. I started a topic with regards to whether I wanted the next xbox to be centered solely on downladable games over a physical copy. Instead I get everyone talking about my use of the phrase "Am I the only one". Does it matter? Does it matter on my choice of phrase? No. No it does not. But you obviously seem to centre on this so let me join the topic on what has now become "Am I the only One".

"Am I the only one" is not a lazy use of the English language. Anyone who thinks so does not understand the English Language or it's complexities.

I started a topic to find out if there were other like minded individuals out there. This is nomral human behaviour. If you don't think so then erase all memory of anything science and technoogy has ever done.

If you were interested in games, and being on this site I'd have thought you would be, why not centre your opinions on the topic rather than the words utilised. I'm not asking you to. I'm simply making a suggestion. If you do decide to focus on what is written rather than why, get a FUCKING LIFE!!

I understand the English language and choose my words carefully but I do not feel the need to question other users use of the English Language. You nor I have the right to do that, You can inform but you can not ridicule.

Other than that, thanks for the feedback. And that's all it is. Feedback. The same as what I have written here. It's the same as an opinion or view. You don't have to take any notice of it as it os only someone elses opinion or view. Do what you want. Comment on someone's use of the English language. Ridicule them. Talk about the subject matter or don't. It doesn't matter

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By theguy

@BearSpark said:

Does it matter on my choice of phrase?

"Am I the only one" is not a lazy use of the English language. Anyone who thinks so does not understand the English Language or it's complexities.

This is nomral human behaviour. If you don't think so then erase all memory of anything science and technoogy has ever done.

I understand the English language and choose my words carefully but I do not feel the need to question other users use of the English Language.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By ajamafalous
@believer258 said:
Am I the only one

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EXTomar

I've got games in a closet in boxes that go back to early 90s. Collecting these games I realized something: Most games are CRAP. I seriously doubt the people who unfortunately got X-Blades are happier because they have a disk on a shelf. For most of those disks they end up on a shelf in the used game section and are ultimately destroyed.

Trying to suggest games have value on disk is kind of funny and getting more laughable as years go on. The important part of the CoD Black Ops disk is a tiny portion that holds encryption keys while the rest is on the hard drive because it is dynamic and needs to be patched and maintained. Why do we need that disk again? Just to start it? We have technology to handle that without the disk.

And retail for disks is becoming harder and harder to justify. There are games that justify a disk format but more and more there are games that do not justify the format let alone the $60 price tag. When the vendors talk about not doing disks this is what they are commenting on.

Disks could disappear tomorrow and I frankly wouldn't care. The last game I bought on disk for PC was WoW Cata. If I could get WoW Mists digitally with the collector goodies digitally I'd go for that instead. Games aren't worth keeping on disks and not worth selling back so the physical media is quickly becoming junk.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tunaburn

digital should be cheaper since it is much much cheaper for them to manufacture. and not have to ship. and other non sense. instead of $60 should be like $30

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By theguy

@tunaburn said:

digital should be cheaper since it is much much cheaper for them to manufacture. and not have to ship. and other non sense. instead of $60 should be like $30

In fairness the online infrastructure required for full game downloads probably costs a lot to set up and maintain. Add bandwidth costs for downloads and you have a considerable cost to budget for. I agree that digital purchases should result in lower prices for consumers but the reduce in publishing cost is probably not enough for half price across the board.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SmilingPig

I can download/upload 120 gig a month pass that its 3$ for every additional gig. Between my girlfriend and her son (who are both streaming junkies) and myself we go over our limit frequently.

I would not buy a download only console, no matter how great or how cheap.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EXTomar

But you stream movies. What is the difference between movies on disk and games on disks? Everyone has priorities but I don't see the tech as good or bad but options.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kgb0515

Does anyone else like the idea of digital only media on the next generation of consoles? There....problem solved. Perhaps we should discuss the proper use of the elipses next?

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By avidwriter

Digital only is cheaper. That's all they care about. Money. If it comes down to happy fans or a bigger bank account guess who wins?

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tunaburn

@theguy: you make good points. instead of $30 maybe like $45

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By nick_verissimo

I want to move past digital distribution. I want analog distribution. I want to turn on my radio to a specific frequency and accept new games through the ether.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44  Edited By KaosAngel

What's the problem?

PC games have been doing it for years, and don't give me that bullshit that games will never be on sale. They will be. Hell, even Amazon will be able to sell the codes for the games and they'll discount it.

It's the future.

EDIT: I just bought Max Payne 3, Shogun 2 Expansion, and FOUR copies of Payday for LESS than Max Payne 3 on consoles. Not from Steam, but from Amazon.

No Caption Provided
Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Clonedzero

not going to happen. not anytime soon.

at BEST, they will offer digital copies of every game as well as physical copies

Purpz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Purpz

@BearSpark said:

Unless you hack which would make you a prick because all hackers are pricks.

Urg.....

And of course they wont make it DLC only, they'll alienate a good portion of there market who don't have internet or those who have really shitty internet.