• 55 results
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fripplebubby

I've been doing some thinking lately (yes, on a weekend) and I came up with what I think is an excellent "why the hell not" idea. Why not make a videogame console with the accessibility of a mainstream plug-n-play console with the upgradability (i'm making up new words for this, as you can see) of a PC. Here's what I mean: 

How the platform works (internals n' such)

Basically, it would be a pc inside the case. But! In order to get a good gaming experience, people don't HAVE to fiddle with the innards (e.g. All video game consoles ever (excluding PC)). It would work with a larger chip that plugs straight into the motherboard containing a GPU (or two, whatever), CPU, RAM, and all that good stuff. Alternatively, people can buy a chip that only has empty slots so that they can purchase whatever parts they choose. This would mean that the console is easy to open (like a PC) instead of a bitch to open (like                   an xbox 360, or... oh god... A ps3). 

Also, it could not only function as a kickass gaming console, but as a common PC as well. What I propose is installing two HDD's, with one running the console's code and one running a common OS (linux probably, but maybe Windows seeing as this is all fantasy anyway). The console has two power buttons, a blue one and a red one, red for the gaming, blue for the PC. Also, if you could startup the console controller-side, a screen would appear for you to choose the the one you want to boot on.  

Also there's a wireless card and PCI-E slots.

Wait, did he say open source?

Actually I didn't, but it is in the title, if you count that. Anyway, it would also be open source (the console part), but in a more protective way. Maybe more like halfopen-source. Anywho, it could function somewhat like Apple's App Store, and let you purchase or otherwise acquire various modifications to the software/firmware. Things like custom skins, different dashboards, multitasking (I don't know exactly how that would work, but it might be cool), drivers for various controllers (that could probably also be acquired PC-side), et cetera. 

How the heck could you sell games? It seems very pirate-friendly!

Aye, mate, that it is, that it is. I suppose the best way to prevent piracy would be through DRM or possibly my far-fetched idea (it's a satellite transmitter in the console that would beam up codes into space and if the game was pirated... no boot). 

Models of this miracle platform

My idea would be to sell some lower end plug-n-play models for all the college jocks and such who just want to call people "fags" on MW2. They would still work the same as the others, so you could upgrade them, but much of the current console market wouldn't bother. Fine.  
Next sell a middle end for people who don't want to mess with it too much but still want a decent system. It's still plug-n-play, but the chip with the innards can be replaced or upgraded at any time. 
Also a high end plug-n-play for rich bastards who don't want to mess with it much. 
Finally a near-empty case for those of you who want to custom-build it (the only things one couldn't change would be the motherboard and possibly the crazy satellite chip if such a thing was made). 

Oh, one more thing

It has a small screen built into front that raises up above the platform when it runs, so you don't NEED a tv. Also, it has batteries, so it could be used on the go, but the battery life is probably pretty low and would be better for power outage backups n' things.  

A bad drawing

Here's a bad drawing I did when I was really really bored.  probably can't tell what most of the stuff is. I forgive you.  

Also, it's upside down. Hot damn.
No Caption Provided
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald

So it's a PC running Linux with very specific hardware? 
Is this idea profitable in the slightest?

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By EvilDingo

I know you are talking a living-room console, but there are actually quite a few open-source handhelds.

GP32 and GP2X for example. Both korean consoles.
Not sure if it was open-source as such, but Zodiac also had a big homebrew-community.

Funnily enough, I've actually just PM'ed Jeff to request those platforms added as platforms on Giantbomb.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Feser
@extremeradical:
Profitable like the Xbox was? But yeah, I don't see anyone sinking the money into this console.
OpenWideToSwim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By OpenWideToSwim

wall of text

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fripplebubby
@extremeradical: Basically, it would be like running the Xbox firmware except that you could upgrade your hardware like a PC. I don't think it would be profitable, but it's just a neat idea, in my opinion. 

@Feser: If someone would make this console, I would buy it, and I think plenty of other people would too, seeing as because you can upgrade it, it would essentially not have to be replaced until PC technology is obsolete (no time soon).

@OpenWideToSwim: I thought I spaced it out pretty well, but thanks for reading my post. 
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Skald
@Fripplebubby: Well it is an interesting idea, I'll give you that.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By EVO
Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Feser
@Fripplebubby:
I wasn't saying it was a bad idea, only it would be hard for a company to start it.
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fripplebubby
@EVO: That's a game development thing, though, isn't it? I'm suggesting a console that plays like a standard console with all the upgrades and hackability of a PC.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skytylz

This just sounds like a PC.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fripplebubby
@Skytylz: It would play like an Xbox for all the people who just wanted to play games, but you could tweak your system and choose your parts. Also, it would function like a PC on the side.  

For example, you have some friends who like playing on a PC and some who like playing on an Xbox. Now, you can all play together (though the mouse/keyboard vs. controller might be an issue, I assume games would have options to play only with people who use the same controller). Also, it would allow you (for the right price) to get PC-like 1080p on a console since it uses all PC parts.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By trophyhunter

go back to PC land hippy

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fripplebubby
@trophyhunter: No way. I love tinkering with PC's and I love the easy use of console, I WANT THEM BOTH
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trophyhunter
@Fripplebubby said:
" @trophyhunter: No way. I love tinkering with PC's and I love the easy use of console, I WANT THEM BOTH "
well then play games on the console and tinker with PC for other reasons.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Skytylz
@Fripplebubby said:
" @Skytylz: It would play like an Xbox for all the people who just wanted to play games, but you could tweak your system and choose your parts. Also, it would function like a PC on the side.   For example, you have some friends who like playing on a PC and some who like playing on an Xbox. Now, you can all play together (though the mouse/keyboard vs. controller might be an issue, I assume games would have options to play only with people who use the same controller). Also, it would allow you (for the right price) to get PC-like 1080p on a console since it uses all PC parts. "
No offense, but if I want to play a pc game with a controller I can just hook my 360 controller up now.  It's a cool idea, but it probably wouldn't work.
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fripplebubby
@trophyhunter: Yeah, but without games, I have no reason to tinker with PCs. I'm just saying, wouldn't this thing be cool?
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By trophyhunter
@Fripplebubby said:
" @trophyhunter: Yeah, but without games, I have no reason to tinker with PCs. I'm just saying, wouldn't this thing be cool? "
no not really because it basically a PC 
and give of tinkering and join the modern era hahahaha
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

no, it would be bad. it would end up being like a PC. people would buy the system want to game to find out that the game requires an upgrade. the person is going to have to upgrade the system and spend more. since a company is making the hardware and system it would mean that they could charge however much they want for the hardware. just like how microsoft made their hard drives. the hard drives are more expensive than a regular hard drive for a PC. $100 for a 60gig hard drive while there are 200gig + hard drive for PC. 

DRM is horrible thing to put in there. i hate DRM since it doesn't work. spore, sims, assassins's creed 2 say hi :) spore most pirated game in history because of DRM. assassin's creed 2 DRM server just went offline a while ago. people couldn't play the game on PC for a few hours. people have to always be connected to the internet for it to work. i understand that people have internet now but there are still people that don't have internet.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fripplebubby
@iam3green said:
" no, it would be bad. it would end up being like a PC. people would buy the system want to game to find out that the game requires an upgrade. the person is going to have to upgrade the system and spend more. since a company is making the hardware and system it would mean that they could charge however much they want for the hardware. just like how microsoft made their hard drives. the hard drives are more expensive than a regular hard drive for a PC. $100 for a 60gig hard drive while there are 200gig + hard drive for PC. "  
I would like to point out that just because Microsoft rips off gamers, not everyone does. Also, nowadays when you buy an Xbox, you don't need an upgrade yet. However, when games do reach the point that you need an upgrade, you have to buy a whole new system. This way, when games need an upgrade, you can simply buy a few parts in lieu of having to get a whole new thing. It would end up like a PC, but that isn't a bad thing. The rate of graphical advancement on PC is much faster because they simply have to manufacture better parts instead of making whole new console.  

@iam3green said:
" DRM is horrible thing to put in there. i hate DRM since it doesn't work. spore, sims, assassins's creed 2 say hi :) spore most pirated game in history because of DRM. assassin's creed 2 DRM server just went offline a while ago. people couldn't play the game on PC for a few hours. people have to always be connected to the internet for it to work. i understand that people have internet now but there are still people that don't have internet. "
Right, but two things would make this less of an issue:  
1. There would be an integrated wireless card, making it much easier (and much cheaper than Microsoft's crappy wireless device) to connect ot the internet. 

2. A card could be included that was a 3G (or similar) card that was too slow for online gaming, but could be used exclusively to check DRM. 

I'm not saying that the DRM point is moot because of this, but the other hand is for games to get pirated like crazy. No one likes that (except pirates).
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fripplebubby
@Skytylz: Right, but that's just for PC. You can play a PC game with a controller, yes, but all your Xbox Live friends won't play with you. In my idea, everyone can play together as it is all one system
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By Astras

Do you not undertand about gaming technology whatsoever?

Random stuff.:

No platform such as Direct X then to power your games, open GL is kinda shitty to be honest, I dont think Microsoft would like another competitor using there technologies.
Good luck getting Developers on board.
Have you looked at Onlive and their answer to your thought, its being released in June by the way.  

I could go on but it just seems like the most random idea i've ever read... why not just get a playstation USB connector for your PC like I have so you can use your PC like a console if you feel like it?

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fripplebubby
@Astras said:

" Do you not undertand about gaming technology whatsoever? "  

Now I may not undertand gaming technology, but at least I undertand the english language. No, but seriously I know quite a bit about gaming tech, I like to think.  
@Astras
said:

"  No platform such as Direct X then to power your games, open GL is kinda shitty to be honest, I dont think Microsoft would like another competitor using there technologies. Good luck getting Developers on board."

I agree. It would be tough to get DirectX, but this is an idea. You can't disregard a fine idea for a gaming console by saying I couldn't get DirectX, in my opinion. That's a little on the splitting-hairs side. Still, I see your point. Playstation doesn't have DirectX though, and they seem to get along just fine. All i'm saying is, if a company wanted to make this design, finding a system similar to DirectX would not be the top concern, as it can be done.  
@Astras said:

"Have you looked at Onlive and their answer to your thought, its being released in June by the way.    I could go on but it just seems like the most random idea i've ever read... why not just get a playstation USB connector for your PC like I have so you can use your PC like a console if you feel like it? "

As for OnLive, it's a completely different thing.  It's all internet based. It's not the same as having a true console that you can pop a disc into, and that's why I don't think it will be well received.   
OnLive make this idea obsolete as much as it makes the Xbox and Playstation obsolete (which is to say, not at all). For the bit about the usb controller, reference another reply I made for the same argument.  

EDIT: Also, do go on forever. I would really like to hear the rest of your issues.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By penguindust

I'm not going to say no to it.  Hell, maybe this is what Apple has in store for us over the next few years, although Apple doesn't like people fiddling with the insides of their stuff.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Romination

There was one of these once that never came out. It was a good idea, they said, but then wound up never happening because they bought a bunch of nice cars and squandered corporate money. Or something like that

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fripplebubby
@PenguinDust: I gotta say, this is probably the LAST thing Apple would put out, right after iDildo (coming fall 2011). 
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Astras

Having a PC run in a dual boot environment, one running your standard PC setup and the other running Gaming hardware is not a great idea. 

• You are reducing your console down to just software(A PC split in 2 partitions one booting a console and one booting a standard PC).
  • You do not realise the amount of work required for  the software creation on your platform (Menu's, networking capabilities, Bios encoding, interface coding)
  • You do not understand about memory management and the problems with acessing hardware.
  • Sony have developed their hardware inerfacing binaries for over 20 years, "'well sony did it and they dont use Direct X, so anyone can" just isn't a feasable argument.
  • You are creating a console that developers will just think... well it's a pc, why is it partitioned into this seperate platform, why do we need this seperate platform?
  • I LOL'ed when reading your piracy deterrant proposal.
  • Onlive just isn't a different method, cloud computing is the future.
  • Developers creating games for a system that can be upgraded is dangerous, PC users get annoyed enough with how much they have to upgrade the PC's, the great thing about consoles are that you know what you will not have to upgrade and are secure in the console cycle to play ALL the latest releases.

This thread is just so simelar to some I have seen on the C++ developer forums:

Noob3452: "Hi everybody, I want to learn programming to make a MMORPG, ive got this fantastic idea about this WOW like MMORPG that you just level upto 60 then start flying around with lightning and stuff coming out of you. It ends up like Matrix fights all over the place :)

Anybody fancy helping me, I have just started coding and made a pong game so I think I am ready for this game.. It should be pretty easy anyway"

That is what this thread is!
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By Jost1

Son I play PHANTOM exclusively 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r
@Skytylz said:
" This just sounds like a PC. "
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jadeskye

So...a PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

An interesting idea overall, OP. Alas, there are plenty of things that work against it.

- Replaceable/Upgradeable parts will scare away console fanboys. The very thought of having to actually do anything with your machine triggers their gag reflex.
- Open source will mean you'd have to get plenty... plenty of people working on it, all for free. Additionally, this notion will scare away any game developers even looking in your general direction. 
- DRM will scare off PC players. Satellite transmitters for the purpose of countering piracy is a pretty cool idea, but my mind boggles at the production cost of anything that comes shipped with one.
- Either it will be a PC with a "Console mode" option, or it'll be a console with customizable parts. Neither of these will work too well for some pretty obvious reasons, lodged in particular in monopoly, and dev cost for something that is supposed to be open source.
- Money, money, money, money and the hardware, development and upkeep problems the hybrid would mean.

Overall, it's a pretty sweet idea, but there is little middle-ground to be found in between the "Dying" PC market and the Consoles of today. I just honestly cannot see where this would fit in, man.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Congratulations, you just created a pc.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mono_Listo

I think that as long as the platform is powerful, flexible, and you provide a solid SDK, it really shouldn't matter if the OS itself is open source or not. It's all about the software for any user-facing platform - console, phone, etc. Well, that and UI in some cases, and marketing in all, actually I guess I don't know wtf I'm talking about.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fripplebubby
@Astras said:
  • "You are reducing your console down to just software(A PC split in 2 partitions one booting a console and one booting a standard PC)."

Alrighty, first off it's actually 2 hard drives booting separately. And, all console's are just special PC's running different software, they just don't also function as PC's. This one does.
@Astras said: 

• "You do not realise the amount of work required for  the software creation on your platform (Menu's, networking capabilities, Bios encoding, interface coding)"

Yeah, it's a lot of work, but if people didn't do things that are a lot of work we would all be lazy fat-asses. I'm not particularly saying i'm going to sit down and build this thing myself, it's just an idea, and if you would stop looking into problems that happen for ALL consoles and focus on what makes this one different I think you would see where i'm coming from.
@Astras said: 

• "You do not understand about memory management and the problems with acessing hardware."

The console part has a hard drive. The PC part has a hard drive. Do explain where I fucked up.
 @Astras said: 

" Sony have developed their hardware inerfacing binaries for over 20 years, "'well sony did it and they dont use Direct X, so anyone can" just isn't a feasable argument. " 

In fact, the only argument less feasible would be the one stating that because Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo can all make programs to run games, no one else can. Can you please look past that into the real idea here, not all the bullshit. 

@Astras said: 
  • "

"You are creating a console that developers will just think... well it's a pc, why is it partitioned into this seperate platform, why do we need this seperate platform?"

Here's one thing that makes consoles different than a PC, and developer know it: Developers can sell console disks, and that the only way of acquired games aside from internet-side sales. On a PC, all you have to do is use a torrent and download yourself some illegal gaming. Console sales are much much higher than PC sales also, because of the simplicity of going to a store, buying a disk, popping it in and playing with your buddies on a couch somewhere. PCs have to install games, and you have to deal with DRM and a bunch of other crap.
@Astras said:

" I LOL'ed when reading your piracy deterrant proposal." 

Sure, sure. My anti-pirating methods are unorthodox, but isn't everything revolutionary? Anyway, I don't have the answers, but does anyone?  

@Astras said:

" Onlive just isn't a different method, cloud computing is the future." 

That's what we call an opinion. Cloud computing may be the future, but really all it is right now is the future. I need reasons, not just a statement claiming that my reasoning is incorrect, as I dare say it is not.  

@Astras said:
" Developers creating games for a system that can be upgraded is dangerous, PC users get annoyed enough with how much they have to upgrade the PC's, the great thing about consoles are that you know what you will not have to upgrade and are secure in the console cycle to play ALL the latest releases. "

The great thing about PCs, on the other hand, is that they continually progress forward in technology. In consoles we have made few technology advancements since 2005-06. In PCs we make advancements about once a month. 

@Astras said:
"
 This thread is just so simelar to some I have seen on the C++ developer forums:  Noob3452: "Hi everybody, I want to learn programming to make a MMORPG, ive got this fantastic idea about this WOW like MMORPG that you just level upto 60 then start flying around with lightning and stuff coming out of you. It ends up like Matrix fights all over the place :) Anybody fancy helping me, I have just started coding and made a pong game so I think I am ready for this game.. It should be pretty easy anyway"  That is what this thread is! "
You are insulting my intelligence, and to that I say "fuck you". I have had a counter argument for every issue except anti-piracy, but if I could solve anti-piracy I surely would have told someone by now.   
@Al3xand3r: 
 @jadeskye:  @HitmanAgent47:
Think of all the positive things about consoles: Disk gaming, no wait time, friends, controllers, et cetera. Now think of all the good things about PCs: Better graphics, faster framerates, optimal controls, advancements in technology. Now imagine all of these things in one console.  
@Asrahn said:

" An interesting idea overall, OP. Alas, there are plenty of things that work against it. - Replaceable/Upgradeable parts will scare away console fanboys. The very thought of having to actually do anything with your machine triggers their gag reflex." 

That may be true. However, models would come with parts already installed, so they would only have to upgrade when the absolutely had to. When the time does come, all it would take would be quick switch of the "chips" (my idea to have the CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. on one piece for easy install) and they'd be good to go. Still, this point is valid. 

@Asrahn said:
" - Open source will mean you'd have to get plenty... plenty of people working on it, all for free. Additionally, this notion will scare away any game developers even looking in your general direction. "  
I think if something like this was produced a lot of people would get on board. I certainly would. Also, developers look where the money is, so if this became popular enough, I see no reason they wouldn't switch over. It would be a struggle, though, no doubt about that.  

@Asrahn said:
" - DRM will scare off PC players. Satellite transmitters for the purpose of countering piracy is a pretty cool idea, but my mind boggles at the production cost of anything that comes shipped with one."  
The DRM that PC players are dealing with now is tons worse than this, so  they'd be more relieved than anything. It could be expensive, though. ] 

@Asrahn said:
" - Either it will be a PC with a "Console mode" option, or it'll be a console with customizable parts. Neither of these will work too well for some pretty obvious reasons, lodged in particular in monopoly, and dev cost for something that is supposed to be open source. "
More of a console with custom parts that can also boot as a PC, just for the heck of it. For the open source bit, what if a big company made it and then let people tweak it? Still, that's certainly not happening, so all fantasy for me.  

@Asrahn said:
" . - Money, money, money, money and the hardware, development and upkeep problems the hybrid would mean.  "
Well, I just have to sell it to Apple.  

(that was like the longest post EVAR)
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jadeskye
@Fripplebubby: you don't live on this planet mate. You're reinventing the PC along the console. the two platforms coexist but they won't merge.
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By Jost1

I got this sweet new thing it's called the Gizmondo

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By nintendoeats

I had a similar idea, but it didn't require any specialised hardware. In essence what you do is define a specific collection of low-mid range commercially available pieces of gear and write a gaming OS for THAT EXACT SET OF HARDWARE. Which is sort of what a console is...especially the Xbox.

It might be possible to do a certain amount (but not alot) of emulation and underclocking as well. If that were possible, the console would be something that many people already had in their homes.

If somebody makes it I will do it.

EDIT: Ahem, I mean I will USE IT.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By nintendoeats
@PenguinDust said:
" I'm not going to say no to it.  Hell, maybe this is what Apple has in store for us over the next few years, although Apple doesn't like people fiddling with the insides of their stuff. "
Apple and the word "open" have no buissness being related in any way. I also doubt that Apple would make a console, because they would have to charge a reasonable amount of money for it, and also try to avoid reminding users that they are using an apple product every 5 minutes.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Afroman269

*Plugs PC into my HDTV. Did I do it right?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nintendoeats
@Afroman269 said:
" Plugs PC into my HDTV. Did I do it right? "
no, you are supposed to use asterisks when you say you are doing something IRL. Like this:

*punches his dog*

Did I do it right?

:)
ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By ColinWright

hmm, i could see it working if developers were forced to make sure the game ran at 1080p at a reasonable framerate on the basic systems. The upgrades could be if you wanted something to look  better or run even smoother. Didnt read your post (sorry! short attention span) but read a few comments. So, i dont know if it was already said but, whatever.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By EpicSteve

Indie games? Are you basically thinking of a no-certification process?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Afroman269
@nintendoeats said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" Plugs PC into my HDTV. Did I do it right? "
no, you are supposed to use asterisks when you say you are doing something IRL. Like this:  *punches his dog*  Did I do it right?  :) "
Gotcha.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MikkaQ

An open source console wouldn't work, it's just a PC, and no one would agree on standards. 

Open source platforms that aren't as easy to just build yourself (like a handheld) are a good idea, good enough for a few to be on the market, or in development already, like the GP2X and the Pandora. 

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Astras
@Fripplebubby: 
grow up!
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Astras
@Fripplebubby: 
Btw cloud computing solves piracy problems, I dont really think that you have a valid argument for any points brought up. You are not willing to discuss anything or look into anything I suggested. Your correct and that's IT! I suppose.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By penguindust

Well, the only reason I mentioned Apple earlier is because they are the only major player who could reasonably create a console and have it sell.  As I also said, they don't like people fiddling with there stuff so "open" isn't a word they use often.  However, the apps store is more "open" than anything any of the big 3 offer, so there is wiggle room.  Who knows, maybe I should have said "Google" but who can see them making a console? 

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fripplebubby
@Astras: Look, man, this will be my final post with the little @astras thing by it, and this I swear. First off, I found none of your suggestions worth looking into. I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out how to build a DirectX equivalent for a "wouldn't it be cool" forum topic. If that's what you think I should do, you go do it and tell me how it goes. Also, for every point I gave a counter argument for, your only response has been "Grow up!". I'm sorry to hear that your brain cannot understand who isn't trying to be your enemy, but be that as it may, I'M NOT YOUR ENEMY. I'm pissed because you insulted my intelligence and will not come up with convincing arguments, but then claim that you did.  

Finally, if you will recall, serial numbers were supposed to solve piracy issues. I rest my case. 

@PenguinDust: Actually, Google does seem like a likely candidate.  

@XII_Sniper: Then scratch the open source part, and think of an upgradeable console. Cool, right? 

As an end note, I kind of wish I hadn't made this about being open source, and just made it about the hardware itself. Regardless, open source isn't a bad thing, it just seems many of you get stuck on that specifically.    
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Three0neFive
@trophyhunter said:

" go back to PC land hippy "

go back to nogames land failtroll

also, so this has some substance: I'm not quite sure I understand you, Fripplebubby. From what I gather it would basically be a PC, with a closed-source OS, and the ability to insert and just pop in a game and play? The thought of not having to install games intrigues me, thougb I don't know if such a system would be commercially viable.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By trophyhunter
@Three0neFive said:
" @trophyhunter said:

" go back to PC land hippy "

go back to nogames land failtroll 
did that make sense to anyone?