Organizing a Giant Bomb game jam

• 116 results
zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Only issue is that I don't see any kind of official date or signup info. Is this just a casual kind of "do whatever, maybe chat it up here in the thread" kinda thing, or something more formal with teams and the like? Has an official date been decided? I'm seeing "some time in April", but more specifically when?

I'm updating the main topic now with a tentative time frame: March 28th to April 5th. Essentially it's a 9-day jam, hopefully enough time to let everybody make something awesome and stupid, but not too long so that people get bored or discouraged.

How does that date work for everyone?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Some kind of logo for the game jam would be cool, too. We could slap it on the games as a splash screen or similar, would be nice to unify them a bit, even if not everyone wants to use the actual assets.

I put together some really simple Giant Rom logos for anyone that wants to use them.

Here's a zip with the two logos below and the Photoshop file for the design: THA-giantrom.zip

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

PROGRAM_IX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@hamst3r said:
@program_ix said:

Some kind of logo for the game jam would be cool, too. We could slap it on the games as a splash screen or similar, would be nice to unify them a bit, even if not everyone wants to use the actual assets.

I put together some really simple Giant Rom logos for anyone that wants to use them.

Here's a zip with the two logos below and the Photoshop file for the design: TA-giantrom.zip

These look great! Thanks. Perhaps something could be done in the way of a meme, too, across all the games. If say everyone's game opened up with that splash and a <5s audio clip of a great GB moment, it could be a really fun way to give the splash screen more flavour without making it more complicated (like an animation would). I'm just spitballing here.

Further spitballing: I often get lost or stuck in the initial setup period when I do game jams, and it usually kills my project. It might be possible for someone experienced in a certain game framework or engine to construct a Giant ROM 'starter pack', basically a ZIP file with the assets for the splash and the code to display it already in there. Obviously that depends on the complexity of the framework. It would be nice to be able to download something like that and build a game inside it. I could theoretically knock one together for Phaser, although almost anyone else who's used that framework would probably be better.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I wasn't joking about the authentic ZX Spectrum pixel art.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r: That's utterly fantastic! Thank you so much! :D

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#106  Edited By kewlsnake

@havochq said:

Giant ROM Zero is live! If you've already made a game with a Giant Bomb theme, throw it in! The proper game jam should start in the coming weeks, but for now this allows the community to put existing games in the same place. :D

I hadn't played "Make My Video - Giant Bomb" yet. It's fantastic! I don't know why people are complaining about how video editing is hard, I was a pro at it in no time!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@havochq: I can probably find a handful of days in there to try and make something!

WarOnHugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are there any good collections of audio clips out there?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@waronhugs: Do you mean GB quotes or a sound effects library?

Roger Wilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Roger Wilco

A pack of standard Giant-Bomb related sounds would be nice. Of course, the library of Bombcast episodes is already available. So anyone who wants can browse through that and pick whatever they desire out of it.

Sound effects are a different matter, but I would point anyone interested to SFXR. This is an excellent little program by the maker of Sculptris (Dr. Petter). It is a great way to create and tweak some quick-and-dirty 8-bit styled sound effects. Very efficient.

I would also like to address some of the content guidelines. On the one hand, I think it would be best if the entries tried to be Safe-For-Work. For a publicly-facing competition, it is best to keep things relatively tasteful. At the same time, I don't think there should be any restrictions on the language used. (again, within the bounds of good taste) The Giant Bomb crew generally work "blue" when it comes to the Bombcast, so some F-Bomb dropping probably wouldn't be much of an issue in terms of content.

perrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roger_wilco said:

I would also like to address some of the content guidelines. On the one hand, I think it would be best if the entries tried to be Safe-For-Work. For a publicly-facing competition, it is best to keep things relatively tasteful. At the same time, I don't think there should be any restrictions on the language used. (again, within the bounds of good taste) The Giant Bomb crew generally work "blue" when it comes to the Bombcast, so some F-Bomb dropping probably wouldn't be much of an issue in terms of content.

Is this really necessary? Ive been in countless game jams and I've never had a content guideline imposed upon me before and tbh very rarely seen anyone submit anything knowingly offensive. I find it a little unnecessarily hand-holdy.

Roger Wilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perrin said:

Ive been in countless game jams and I've never had a content guideline imposed upon me before and tbh very rarely seen anyone submit anything knowingly offensive. I find it a little unnecessarily hand-holdy.

Well, "guidelines" is a considerably gentler term than "rules." It implies wiggle-room from the outset. Though you may be right. This is a creative effort, after all. And creative types usually prefer not to feel that they are being repressed in any way. Even a term like "guidelines" might still scare some people off, despite its ambiguity.

Perhaps just a minor disclaimer that empowers the community in general to disqualify any entries that are being willfully offensive/in epic bad taste? The goal here isn't to suppress expression, but simply to discourage the kind of expression that could paint the site, or the site's community, in an excessively negative light. And enforcement of such a policy could be the work of those running the jam collaborating with those participating in the jam. A bit more of a general consensus solution, as opposed to managerial enforcement.

perrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps just a minor disclaimer that empowers the community in general to disqualify any entries that are being willfully offensive/in epic bad taste? The goal here isn't to suppress expression, but simply to discourage the kind of expression that could paint the site, or the site's community, in an excessively negative light. And enforcement of such a policy could be the work of those running the jam collaborating with those participating in the jam. A bit more of a general consensus solution, as opposed to managerial enforcement.

Yeah fair enough, I think just a single sentence along the lines of "Make what you want, but we'd ask you to try not to be needlessly crude of offensive." is more than enough. I wouldn't have thought anyone from this community would go down that path anyway.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perrin said:
@roger_wilco said:

Yeah fair enough, I think just a single sentence along the lines of "Make what you want, but we'd ask you to try not to be needlessly crude of offensive." is more than enough. I wouldn't have thought anyone from this community would go down that path anyway.

That sounds good! I'll add something to that effect. And I'll make a proper new post detailing the actual jam soon!

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The post for the jam proper is live here! Please check it out, organize, and get ready! :D

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have no knowledge of programming a game, but I'll try and see if I can make it happen.