Ouya gameplay footage

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NathanStack

It looks like a cell phone game and can barely run without frame drops. I feel sorry for the people who bought into the Kickstarter thinking it was going to be a next-gen console competitor.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

They chose the right game to show off if they wanted to unimpress me.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NathanStack

@Napalm: You sound mad. Did you contribute to this stupid thing? How much did they scam you for?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

It's still early, I guess? Plus if anyone is considering that to be a "next gen" machine then they deserve to be burned by reality.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NathanStack

@Colourful_Hippie: B-b-but the Kickstarter video said it could play Skyrim and Madden!

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zels

Ridin', ridin' on that Ouya hate train.

A single game cannot be used to judge the devices' capabilities.

On the other hand if you expected this to be in competition to the actual consoles, you deserve an egg on your face.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By JoeyRavn

I don't understand the appeal of the Ouya. What can it do that you can't with a current gen console or an Android phone/tablet? I guess it'll be a cheap emulator box and cool for homebrew, but it's definitely not for me.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I just don't know who this system is for. I don't know anyone without a smartphone to play these games. I would like to see it succeed but I'm not seeing how it will.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By BaneFireLord

Why does a game exist called "Roasty Rooster?"

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By monkeyking1969

While I'm not sure if people expected a 'next gen' experience, I can agree that I feel bad for SOME people who bought Ouya.

The entire concept of Ouya was interesting, it would provide a very open Android box for geeks and tinkerers who wanted to play with some hardware. It was a 'big boy' hobby kit for people who really wanted to get into programming some games, tinkering with electronics, or just seeing what you could do with a little open-source box. It was never supped to be something with 63,416 backers. It was never supposed to be something for 'common' sofa gamers.

The people at Ouya adjusted well and ramped up the projects admirably in any case. I think & it appears they took an out of control situation and tamed it down to something that world work for the people who did buy into it. BUT, (and this is a big but) that doesn't mean 90% of the Ouya units won't be sitting in a shoe-box in 10 months. I think by definition that means it was a waste of $99 for most of these people because for that amount of money it should be something you want to keep playing for more then a few months.

Now for the garage/basement developers, software students, hobbyists, and inquisitive gamers the Ouya will be find...all 900 of THOSE people will be fine. The people this was really meant for will do some neat stuff with it, most fo that stuff will appear on iStore and Google Play and thus who care if you have a Ouya...but yeah the development community and students who bough this will find it well worth it.

If you want to make some money off Ouya, I recommend the following strategy. Set up a company that will send pre-paid boxes to Ouya owners to ship their Ouya to you. Then send those owner a check for $20. Then turn around to sell pre-owned Ouya boxes to OEMs (for parts), or universities/tech schools for software programming classes @ $60 per unit. My guess is there will be 40+ thousand units sitting in closets soon. You have to do all this very quickly you want to buy the units and then re-sell them very quickly. A PCB with Tegra3 quad-core processor, 1GB RAM, and 8GB of internal flash storage is worth something but the shelf life is limited. My advice is to contact the US Air Force to see if they want to replace their super computer (Condor Cluster consists of 1,760 Sony PlayStation 3's) with a OUYA solution. An OUYA cluster super computer would run cooler and take up 1/100 of the space.

Fascismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Fascismo

Yeah, even that far away from the screen, I can tell that whatever Roasty Rooster probably isn't for me. Saw the Unity logo in the software list though, that'd actually be awesome if the full version came as a pack in with the system.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258
@BaneFireLord
Why does a game exist called "Roasty Rooster?"
'Cause "Cookin' Cock" wasn't very marketable.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Finally I can play cellphone games they way they were meant to be played.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By Levio

Hah, good thing I invested in that other console which can use AI to create new games every week.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mnzy

It's what they promised, I don't understand the hate.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By s10129107

I don't know why this would be preferable to a PC? Maybe it's for the market of people who liked the Wii? I dont know...

i don't know

ShatterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShatterShock

I can't wait for Sony and Microsoft to reveal their new consoles already. The Ouya hype train from last year proved how desperate some people have become for new hardware.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Branthog

@s10129107 said:

I don't know why this would be preferable to a PC? Maybe it's for the market of people who liked the Wii? I dont know...

i don't know

Well, primarily the price, I presume.

For the cost of the latest rig I built myself, I could buy almost 40 Ouyas.

Anyway, I don't think anyone seriously expected it to be much more than a little toy for playing some indie games. I mean, it's basically a cell phone in a hockey puck and that's what we all knew it was, up front.

@ShatterShock said:

I can't wait for Sony and Microsoft to reveal their new consoles already. The Ouya hype train from last year proved how desperate some people have become for new hardware.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the next console generation, too. I'm not expecting much from it, though. Instead of investing in great new architecture and power and lots of RAM and so on, I think that cost is going to be eaten up with bullshit like built-in kinect and other stuff that eats away heavily at that bottom line.

idBloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By idBloc

Ouya could run Bastion, Spelunky or Mark of the Ninja in a very tiny box; These games are great and maybe the limitation of the platform would push developers to create more games like them.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By evanbower

Ounooo....

downtime58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By downtime58

It looks like exactly what I paid for - an open-format device that will play people's indie games, let me try their games, and maybe mess around with some stuff on my own. I don't get all the hate for this thing - it's not a legitimate threat to mainstream gaming in any way - and it never was supposed to be.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Jams

@Branthog said:

@s10129107 said:

i don't know

Well, primarily the price, I presume.

For the cost of the latest rig I built myself, I could buy almost 40 Ouyas.

I just got finished building a Linux box myself. I wanted to have a computer I didn't have to keep wishing I didn't have to dual boot or remove windows to use. So I put together a $350 PC. $99 of those dollars was just to the case itself ( I like a good quality case). I have to say, it's a pretty snappy computer for $350. Now of course I used a couple of older parts I already had lying around, but I didn't have to. So it's a computer capable of running anything an Ouya can and since I put my old 285 GTX in it, it can run any game made max or near max.

So what I say is

Why buy something like this when you can have a normal computer for just around double-triple the price? If you can afford $99 then you should be able to manage $350 (or with a cheaper case, even less). Maybe these people who make and want to use the Ouya should be putting all that effort into making Linux great. Instead, you get this mini box that's going to be useless in a year and nothing's changed.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SamStrife

This looks like everything I expected from an Ouya game.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By C0V3RT

I'll never root for anything to fail. While the Ouya didn't appeal to me, hopefully what they showed is just an anomaly or something they can clear up before backers get their product.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@familyphotoshoot said:

I feel sorry for the people who bought into the Kickstarter thinking it was going to be a next-gen console competitor.

No one ever thought that. It was cheap as fuck and it's something new. That's why people bought it. If it fails, big fucking deal.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Subjugation

This just reconfirms that I totally shouldn't care about the Ouya.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By redcream

It's noted in the video description that it is unoptimized yet so it's probably not the final build.