Persona 4 Endurance Run comments

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By badsmalltalker

So the Endurance Run is awesome, but it gets more and more frustrating to watch as they make mistakes.  The dialogue/story stuff is alright, (unless its dealing with Nanako, then we all feel bad) and its funny to hear them use their judgement to decide what to say, but its starting to get bad like when they were talking to drama girl and just started intentionally picking the worst response.  Yeah I know she's a pain in the ass, but i'm sure they don't want that social link to go into reverse. (Can that happen in P4? I'm only playing P3: FES right now.)

Its worse in battle though, it seems they haven't taken notice of simple things that we point out to them, and I'm not talking about the anal rpg-nerd type stuff like Anon would say.  This was especially frustrating in today's episode.  Did anyone really really feel the need to reach into the screen and yell that:
-they could have used Zio on the pig-cop boss to knock it down
-they had a bunch of sp recovery items or could have switched to kanji instead of using those TaP sodas.
-they could have just fought a few more easy battles to get rid of that 1 exp effect
-DON'T SAVE THE FREAKING GAME!! It wouldn't have taken that long to refight the boss knowing his weakness!

Anybody else especially frustrated this episode?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

I believe there are only two Social Links that can get reversed, and I don't think Yumi is one of them.
Unfortunately, I can't really comment on anything that happened in yesterday or today's episode. My Internet connection has been complete shit and I haven't been able to watch any videos.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By badsmalltalker

Well connect the 1st, 3rd, and last bullet point i listed in my first post and you'll pretty much know the end result of today's episode, it was all grinding before that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Eh, whatever. They're the one playing the game, not me. Let them play how they want.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By TobyD81

I watch Endurance Run for the commentary, not to see the guys play the game perfectly. If I wanted that, I'd just play it myself going straight by the strategy guide. If you have tips that they need to know, just drop them in the comments section. They've been pretty good abut checking that.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Stang

I agree with Toby. I have beat the game three times.....the lulz are why I watch. The more mistakes the better in my opinion, they only lead to better conversation! If they played like pros, we would have never got the unforgettable vanish ball episode.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TheKidNixon

I actually find the mistakes they make kind of charming. It leads to great moments of Vinny "Ah man"s and some couch bickering (which I'm sure is all in good fun). Yes, there have been a few times I've watched and was like "Don't you guys know that you can do X, Y or Z?!" but it never as frustrating as amusing.

The only thing if they got the "bad" ending, seeing how that sounds like it cuts off quite a bit of the game. I'm hoping they can figure out a way to avoid that without getting spoilered too bad.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stang

^^^

There is pretty much no way they will get the true ending without some type of faq. The true ending requires multiple dialogue choices, none of which are the least bit obvious. Nothing will be spoiled by telling them the correct answers me thinks, especially if they only look at the correct choices at the appropriate time.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By EvilTwin

No, not really.  I think Jeff summed it up pretty well in one of the early early episodes when, during their (possibly?) first time fusing, he said "let's get in deep".  The more mistakes they make the funnier it is usually.  And considering how overwhelming the games can be; I think it's pretty cool that they're just trying to learn things for themselves for the most part.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By TheKidNixon

I don't much care if they get good versus the "true" ending. how much more content is there for the True ending? If what I've read is true, the bad ending is severely shorter than the other.

Also, ahve they already screwed up for the true? If not, someone should write a carefully written mini-FAQ to Vinny or Jeff on how avoid getting screwed over.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stang

The true ending gives them an extra dungeon and gives a clear answer who is behind all the madness. And no, nothing up until a certain day in December is important with regards to the ending path. I won't say much more, as there is a lot going on with the story around that time.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EvilTwin
TheKidNixon said:
"I don't much care if they get good versus the "true" ending. how much more content is there for the True ending? If what I've read is true, the bad ending is severely shorter than the other. Also, ahve they already screwed up for the true? If not, someone should write a carefully written mini-FAQ to Vinny or Jeff on how avoid getting screwed over."
It is a significant amount of content.  Two extra dungeons, a couple more cool animated scenes, and the story is actually finished. 

Pretty much all someone would have to tell them is that on December 3rd when they're talking to Yosuke to pick the:

3rd
1st
3rd
2nd
3rd
2nd

Dialogue options.

Next, on December 5th, they basically have to put all of their accrued knowledge to the test.  They have 3 chances to figure something out.  It's actually pretty easy and I trust them to be able to do that. 

Finally, on March 12th, they have to visit with all of their maxed social links, then go to the Junes food court, it will ask if you want to go home.  Select "no".  Check the food court again and let it know that you have some unfinished business to attend to.  From there, I think they can take care of the rest.
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
TripMasterMunky said:
"Eh, whatever. They're the one playing the game, not me. Let them play how they want."
this^
 also considering the amount of whiners i dont think i would be mad if they stopped doing the ER, i mean there doing it for our entertainment and because they want to play it and the last thing the need is back seat gamers  
ethanmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ethanmmm
cmpLtNOOb said:
"So the Endurance Run is awesome, but it gets more and more frustrating to watch as they make mistakes.  The dialogue/story stuff is alright, (unless its dealing with Nanako, then we all feel bad) and its funny to hear them use their judgement to decide what to say, but its starting to get bad like when they were talking to drama girl and just started intentionally picking the worst response.  Yeah I know she's a pain in the ass, but i'm sure they don't want that social link to go into reverse. (Can that happen in P4? I'm only playing P3: FES right now.)Its worse in battle though, it seems they haven't taken notice of simple things that we point out to them, and I'm not talking about the anal rpg-nerd type stuff like Anon would say.  This was especially frustrating in today's episode.  Did anyone really really feel the need to reach into the screen and yell that:-they could have used Zio on the pig-cop boss to knock it down-they had a bunch of sp recovery items or could have switched to kanji instead of using those TaP sodas.-they could have just fought a few more easy battles to get rid of that 1 exp effect-DON'T SAVE THE FREAKING GAME!! It wouldn't have taken that long to refight the boss knowing his weakness! Anybody else especially frustrated this episode?"
I just want them to play the game and make me laugh. So let them play the game their own way and if you dont like it play your self
Intrepid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Intrepid

Nah, I'm glad they're playing by their own merits...for the most part anyways.  It's clear that there are a lot of persona 4 players that watch the ER and because of that I'm sure they feel kinda pressured to utilize the hints they're given or be branded as piss poor players.  I would actually have preferred if they played on a pure clean slate and experimented with strats as the game progressed.  One of the reasons being, that Jeff seems to have pretty good gaming instincts and Vinny, though clumsy hitting those shadows, is willing to play defensively and experiment with skills; watching them figuring things out is kinda fun and adds to the commentary.

For better or worse, these runs may not be what vet Persona players can stand, because we can clearly see their faults.  But try looking at it from their perspective - they're trying to play a game that they're not accustomed to ("just because they run a gaming website totally means they should be good at all games" is a really stupid argument btw) and trying to make it as engaging and fun to the viewers as possible with the commentary.   Just sit back, grab a sandwich, and watch it unfold.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joshbra97

Yeah, getting frustrated that they're making mistakes? You need to stop nerding out on them, dude. Calm down. They're playing a game, not doing brain surgery. They sit down to play the game for like half an hour. Vinny's not sitting reading faqs like a douche. He's just playing the game... like a game.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Joshbra97

Oh, and I wouldn't count the saving as a mistake, man. Vinny did that on purpose because what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. If you're going to watch the vids and run your mouth learn the rules they've set for themselves. They're living with the mistakes they make.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By badsmalltalker

Unfortunately the reason i really made this topic somehow didn't make it, but what i was wanting to talk about really was our attempts to be helpful in the comments.  I know we don't need to be anal about tiny little details, but it seems like small helpful comments to streamline the process of something or who they should talk to for a quest (the fat kid at school while looking for the photographer) after they spent an entire day looking for them.  Its probably our fault that there are so many whiny and spoilery things that they mostly ignore everyone.

But I understand that they are busy people and the ER could end anytime, I'm happy with what it is right now.

My gripes were just that there are sometimes where i'm sure someone said something before but i still am going: "PLEASE JUST USE ZIO!! JUST ONCE!! IT'S PRACTICALLY OVER ONCE YOU DO THAT!!  STOP HEALING AND USE ZIO!!"  Maybe I just can't get used to the way they sometimes ignore skills they haven't tried yet and just make do with something else.

Intrepid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Intrepid

I get you dude...I mean, it was way back in Yukiko's castle when I cheered when they got slime to learn red wall, but totally missed out on getting it onto Senri...those were some face palm moments.  But like I said, they don't know these things, but we do.  Its only frustrating for us because we're in the know and I don't think they catch all the comments.  I think, if anything, they should be applauded for getting as far as they have despite all these mistakes.  They killed Shadow Yukiko in the end...with a bit of luck ;)  and they managed to kill that cop without using Zio too.  Hell, I'm thinking they'll just walk over Shadow Rise and...the other guy...with GHOUL or FROST!

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By badsmalltalker

Yeah I got it about the saving, I heard him say why while watching, I was just frustrated that it wouldn't have taken them that long to get a lot more exp from that boss. 

And just to myself in perspective, I don't ever say any annoying "Alon"-like things about the ER, all those more rpg-nerd stuff i used in the OP i only thought about, never voiced.  I just don't like things like them not knowing that they probably a have a bunch of sp recovery items in their inventory, which can just make the situation that they got themselves into at the end of today's episode a little easier.  I'm not really the type to "sit and read faqs like a douche," I'm pretty much playing P3 the same way as them right now.   

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stang

Aion....lol.

You have to admit though, in this last episode Vinny has kicked it up a notch or two....he is really starting to understand battles.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By badsmalltalker

Indeed.  I just wish they could have been in the strip club dungeon where they would have leveled up a whole lot more.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By weltal

Yeah, I don't know dude. Get over it? They're just playing a game try and enjoy rather than taking apart and analyzing everything. Anyway, this is just bad advice, "-they had a bunch of sp recovery items or could have switched to kanji instead of using those TaP sodas." Why would they make use of sp recovery items which are much harder to come by then TaP sodas, especially when they don't need to rush through the dungeon.

Doubt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Doubt

I agree get over it, if you don't like how they play then don't watch, if it really gets you frustrated (that you had to make a thread about it), then maybe you should stop watching.

There playing, let them play it the way they want to, only thing that im concerned about is that they get the good or true ending.

In other words... just chill dude.
papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By papercut

I'll admit, I was screaming Zio to the point my girl friend had to calm me down, but they had been grinding for almost 2 hours. They were not thinking strait and probably just wanted to hit a save and end it.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By fr0br0

For dudes who aren't playing with a walkthrough right in front of them at all times, I think they are doing pretty good.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Joshbra97
papercut said:
"I'll admit, I was screaming Zio to the point my girl friend had to calm me down, but they had been grinding for almost 2 hours. They were not thinking strait and probably just wanted to hit a save and end it."
That's sad.

On an unrelated topic I dress up like Chie whenever I can.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By badsmalltalker

Fr0Br0, I absolutely love your profile pic, I used to have that game!

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By papercut
Joshbra97 said:
"papercut said:
"I'll admit, I was screaming Zio to the point my girl friend had to calm me down, but they had been grinding for almost 2 hours. They were not thinking strait and probably just wanted to hit a save and end it."
That's sad.

On an unrelated topic I dress up like Chie whenever I can.

"
Psh, i bet i make a better Chie than YOU
Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Pkshields

I don't get fustrated with the endurance run really, probably as I haven't played the game myself, but:

EvilTwin
said:

"TheKidNixon said:
"I don't much care if they get good versus the "true" ending. how much more content is there for the True ending? If what I've read is true, the bad ending is severely shorter than the other. Also, ahve they already screwed up for the true? If not, someone should write a carefully written mini-FAQ to Vinny or Jeff on how avoid getting screwed over."
It is a significant amount of content.  Two extra dungeons, a couple more cool animated scenes, and the story is actually finished.  Pretty much all someone would have to tell them is that on December 3rd when they're talking to Yosuke to pick the: 3rd1st3rd2nd3rd2ndDialogue options.Next, on December 5th, they basically have to put all of their accrued knowledge to the test.  They have 3 chances to figure something out.  It's actually pretty easy and I trust them to be able to do that.  Finally, on March 12th, they have to visit with all of their maxed social links, then go to the Junes food court, it will ask if you want to go home.  Select "no".  Check the food court again and let it know that you have some unfinished business to attend to.  From there, I think they can take care of the rest."
Someone said there are people following this storyline along with Vinny and Jeff, so as much as this is their game and playthrough, I hope they use this,
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Ineedaname

See what annoys me is those who tell them how to play,  if they were to follow all your comments they might aswell get a guide out, and watching them follow a guide how fun would that be? When they make a mistake it's fun to see their reaction and that's the whole point I carry on watching. That's just me though.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By badsmalltalker

Yeah I understand that.  I'm fine with laughing at/with them when they make a mistake for the most part, its just hard to watch when they kind of ignore some details that could make stuff easier overall.  In dungeons only though, really.

For example, and i'm trying not to be too rpg-nerd like cause i never play rpgs, (never played a Final Fantasy game) the last ones I played I can really remember were persona 3, fallout 3, oblivion, and...KOTOR maybe? 

Anyways, they seem to be really happy with just hitting rush until that one stronger different enemy dies, but forget that they haven't tested out if it is weak to some skill they haven't tried yet (sort-of one of the basic things you are taught when you first start learning the combat system, which we all watched along with them).  Jeff almost caught on to it today, but Vinny just said "nah we can do this" and used a bunch of extra turns hitting it again.  I was just hoping they would think to try that skill out and have all the info out in the open so they wouldn't have to spend as much time grinding and get on to the next floor.

They may figure it out soon though.  Eventually they are have to realize that some of the things that apparently have no weaknesses might be weak to those "useless" insta-kill hama/mudo skills we all love.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fallen189

You people are just as bad. I wish I could block all comments.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#34  Edited By LordAndrew
Fallen189 said:
"You people are just as bad. I wish I could block all comments."
You mean kind of like just not looking at the comments?
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fallen189
LordAndrew said:
"Fallen189 said:
"You people are just as bad. I wish I could block all comments."
You mean kind of like just not looking at the comments?"
Sometimes I accidentally hit PG Dwn. Even an ignore user function would be great.