Persona vs. Persona

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nickux

I admit I'm very late to the party on this but over the last week or so I've fallen deep into the old Persona 4 Endurance Run. I tried watching it back in the day but, for some reason, I just didn't get into it. I think mainly because that style of game, generally, isn't my thing. But I'm fully addicted now at episode 42 and going strong.  
While I don't think I'd like to start my own game of Persona 4 (the repetition of playing the same game I just watched could drive me insane. EDIT: It's not the repetitive nature of either game. I mean the repetition of watching the ER then playing P4- hence, I'm more interested in trying P3) I was wondering about Persona 3 FES. I'm thinking of giving the genre another shot. For people who have played both games: 
Are the two very similar? I assume so because it's the same series but... 
What kinds of things are in P4 that weren't in P3? Likewise, are there things in P3 that were taken out of P4? What are some of the differences? Stylistically are they similar? Meaning- hey a lot of crazy and weird shit happens in P4- can I expect more of the same Japantics in P3? Any kind of info like that would be appreciated

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Well if you aren't going to play Persona 4 because of repetition you probably won't enjoy Persona 3 FES. With that said, I think it's a great game.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nickux
@natetodamax: I just meant since I was watching those parts of the game as recently as this week it would be weird. If that makes sense I might not have explained it well. I realize there will be a lot of overlap in style though between the two. 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

From comments I've read, repetition is one of P3's most glaring faults. If P4 looks too tedious then P3 will be like some kind of personal level of hell. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp
@natetodamax said:

" Well if you aren't going to play Persona 4 because of repetition you probably won't enjoy Persona 3 FES. With that said, I think it's a great game. "

He didn't mean the grind, he meant watching the endurance run and then going through it. 

But yeah Persona 3 FES is a little more hardcore than Persona 4, but it's still pretty good. Also Persona 3 was a tad darker I found.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Afroman269

Persona 4 is similar to 3 but refined some stuff so if you like what you see in P 4 then you can give a P 3 a chance.  Also there is just one main dungeon you go through in 3 with the occasional boss so it's not as diverse as P 4.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By natetodamax
@Abyssfull said:
" From comments I've read, repetition is one of P3's most glaring faults. If P4 looks too tedious then P3 will be like some kind of personal level of hell.  "
@nickux: Repetition really only exists in Tartarus. If you can look past that it's really fun. 

I'm a newcomer to the Persona series so obviously there's someone out there that can go into specifics better than I can. 
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Doctorchimp
@nickux: Edit your original post so people know exactly what you meant before you get anymore 

"IT'S ALL GRIND HEAVY" comments.
InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By InTheEnd

In terms of gameplay P3 is comparatively "rough around the edges." For example; instead of ordering your underlings around directly, you have to rely on their AI to make the right decision.  Otherwise they are pretty similar. 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Afroman269
@InTheEnd said:
" In terms of gameplay P3 is comparatively "rough around the edges." For example; instead of ordering your underlings around directly, you have to rely on their AI to make the right decision.  Otherwise they are pretty similar.  "
You can't give direct commands? I was able to in the PSP version or was it only in that version?
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp
@natetodamax said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" From comments I've read, repetition is one of P3's most glaring faults. If P4 looks too tedious then P3 will be like some kind of personal level of hell.  "
@nickux: Repetition really only exists in Tartarus. If you can look past that it's really fun.  I'm a newcomer to the Persona series so obviously there's someone out there that can go into specifics better than I can.  "
Well Abyssfull was talking about the grind repetition which only happens in Tartarus since the social stuff keeps varied, obviously. You do spend a good amount of time in Tartarus grinding...

While the TC wasn't talking about the grind at all, he was saying he didn't know if he can watch the same scenes again after watching the Endurance Run.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By WickedCestus

Fuck yes! All through the ER I was thinking, "Damn, I want to be playing this game", and then I picked up Persona 3 FES and I'm really enjoying it. Try it out, it's still relatively expensive on Amazon (like $40) because it's Atlus and they don't make very many copies, but it's well worth it. 

As for similarities/differences, the menus in Persona 3 FES are the worst thing. Just equipping everyone in your party can be a big hassle, but it's definitely not a reason to skip it. The battle system is a lot more automated in Persona 3 because your other part members control themselves automatically, with you only being able to give them suggestions of what to do. I thought it would be annoying, but you get used to it, and it's just as good really. Other than that, they are very similar, but obviously different characters and a different story. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Afroman269 said:
" @InTheEnd said:
" In terms of gameplay P3 is comparatively "rough around the edges." For example; instead of ordering your underlings around directly, you have to rely on their AI to make the right decision.  Otherwise they are pretty similar.  "
You can't give direct commands? I was able to in the PSP version or was it only in that version? "
Yeah that was only in the PSP remake.
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nickux
@supermike6: sounds like you were in the same boat as me- thanks for the feedback
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By natetodamax

The AI is actually fine in the game. Only problem I've ever had with it is when a teammate would hit an enemy's weakness, and on their extra turn they would hit the same enemy again which knocks them out of their weakened state. Not a big deal though. You can assign many tactics to individual teammates, such as telling them to Conserve SP, attack downed enemies, attack without healing, do nothing but heal, etc.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By SpiralStairs
@natetodamax said:
" The AI is actually fine in the game. Only problem I've ever had with it is when a teammate would hit an enemy's weakness, and on their extra turn they would hit the same enemy again which knocks them out of their weakened state. Not a big deal though. You can assign many tactics to individual teammates, such as telling them to Conserve SP, attack downed enemies, attack without healing, do nothing but heal, etc. "
Agreed, analyzing tough enemies before letting your team attack is the best way to make sure they don't end up fucking everything.

Anyway, Persona 3's story is pretty dark, and even weird at times. If you can get past the repetition of Tartarus (never a big deal to me) then you will probably enjoy it immensely. And since you've already seen the P4 endurance run, Persona 3 should feel like a fresher experience.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By natetodamax
@supermike6: I'm pretty sure my copy of the game was like $32 on Amazon. 

@SpiralStairs: Just a quick question, how long does it take to analyse an enemy? Once I give the order, can I just sit there and wait for the results? Usually I give the order to analyse, then I either attack or wait for the AI to go through their turns. Usually after a few the results are finally revealed, but it would be nice to know the statistics before going at it.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mutha3
@Abyssfull said:

Accurate. Still a good game if you can get over that!

@natetodamax said:

" @Abyssfull said:

@nickux: Repetition really only exists in Tartarus.
Which is literally where over half the game takes place.

@natetodamax said:
" @supermike6: I'm pretty sure my copy of the game was like $32 on Amazon. 

@SpiralStairs: Just a quick question, how long does it take to analyse an enemy? Once I give the order, can I just sit there and wait for the results? Usually I give the order to analyse, then I either attack or wait for the AI to go through their turns. Usually after a few the results are finally revealed, but it would be nice to know the statistics before going at it. "

3 character turns, exactly.
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpiralStairs
@natetodamax:  You can pretty much just set everyone to standby and wait for the results. It takes a couple of turns before they're analyzed, but once they are your teammates won't use an element the enemy is strong to, even if it's a boss and the scan doesn't show its weaknesses/strengths.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By natetodamax
@nickux: Rereading your original post, I can see that you're in the same boat I was in. In fact, I hated Persona 4 when I started watching the Endurance Run. My initial impression was that the game was nothing but a "Press X to continue" bore-fest. After finishing the ER, however, I became addicted to the game even though I wasn't actually playing it. But like you, I didn't want P4 to be my Persona game because I had already seen the ending and everything through the ER, so I settled for P3 FES. A lot of mechanics are similar, so it was easy to get into it.
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nickux
@natetodamax: thanks for all the info I appreciate it. Thinking I'm going to check it out sometime (damn this fall has so many good games in it!) Now to make sure my 80GB PS3 can play it! (it has some backwards compatibility)
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mutha3
@nickux:
I strongly recommend you to buy the PSP remake of Persona 3. It fixes a lot of issues the original had, the loss of presentation may be unfortunate, but not as  unfortunate as trying to equip something on your party members in the original Persona 3.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By natetodamax
@mutha3 said:
" I strongly recommend you to buy the PSP remake of Persona 3. It fixes a lot of issues the original had, the loss of presentation is unfortunate, but not as  unfortunate as trying to equip something on your party members in the original Persona 3. "
I don't find it that difficult to equip stuff on people. Just a few button presses. I would prefer being able to just access a menu with everyone's name and equipment and such, but it's not a big deal to me at least.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mutha3
@natetodamax said:

" @mutha3 said:

" I strongly recommend you to buy the PSP remake of Persona 3. It fixes a lot of issues the original had, the loss of presentation is unfortunate, but not as  unfortunate as trying to equip something on your party members in the original Persona 3. "
I don't find it that difficult to equip stuff on people. Just a few button presses. I would prefer being able to just access a menu with everyone's name and equipment and such, but it's not a big deal to me at least. "
When you want to compare different items and have to wait for the damn screen to load it is needlessly aggravating IMO

Besides, that was just an example. Persona 3 has loads of interface issues fixed in P3P/P4. Just to mention a few:

-Load times when accesing the goddamn STATUS SCREEN
-Can't view a Persona's skill info in the velvet room. This isn't an issue for me, because I'm familiar with the terminology of SMT, but for most people that would probably be a deal-breaker
- Dumb AI. At the start of the game this won't bother you so much, but when you get further into the game 
-Can't insta-travel over the world map. Instead, you have to  manually walk. Seeing how its the exact same town from the begging of the game till the end, this is frustrating.

There's a lot more which I don't feel like typing down right now, but  believe me: P3'/P3FES got issues, dude.

@gakon5 said:
"

.  And while most of the Persona 4 additions are welcome I think they went too far out of their way to make P3 like P4.

"
This is true as well. I think P3 lost a bit of its identity by making it less clunky:/
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By natetodamax
@mutha3: What do you mean by manually walking? You can fast travel to different locations on the map, but you can't fast travel to shops or whatever in those locations if that's what you mean.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By WickedCestus
@natetodamax said:
" @mutha3 said:
I don't find it that difficult to equip stuff on people. Just a few button presses. I would prefer being able to just access a menu with everyone's name and equipment and such, but it's not a big deal to me at least. "
Equipping multiple people at the same time in the middle of a dungeon is really annoying. Especially if you have an item you just found, you have to check who can equip it, who has something better, and all that. It's really annoying having to talk to everyone to do that.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mutha3
@natetodamax said:
" @mutha3: What do you mean by manually walking? You can fast travel to different locations on the map, but you can't fast travel to shops or whatever in those locations if that's what you mean. "
You can't insta-travel from (for instance) the faculty office hallway to the roof. In P4 you could by pressing the square button.

Which was a VERY welcome addition, seeing how the towns is basically the same from the start 'till the end of the game, and wandering around the town looking for people to S-link with is really annoying.
walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By walreese55
@nickux: Most of P4's charm came from the random-WTF-surprises like the introduction of Fox at Junes and Naoto being a chick and of course, creepy raper guy. I don't think P4 holds up particularly well judged solely on gameplay, the grinding bits were only fun because of Jeff and Vinny's commentary.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mutha3
@brainboy77 said:

" @nickux:. I don't think P4 holds up particularly well judged solely on gameplay, the grinding bits were only fun because of Jeff and Vinny's commentary. "

It does, though.

And the ER grinding was unnecessary.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By eroticfishcake

Not sure what else to add to this conversation since everyone in here has already mentioned all the important points. I'll say this though, P3 FES is one damn good JRPG in comparison to most other JRPGs at the time and it still holds well despite some setbacks. What do I recommend? Play P3 FES and then get P3P for the girl route plus improved gameplay.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SpiralStairs
@mutha3 said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @mutha3: What do you mean by manually walking? You can fast travel to different locations on the map, but you can't fast travel to shops or whatever in those locations if that's what you mean. "
You can't insta-travel from (for instance) the faculty office hallway to the roof. In P4 you could by pressing the square button.  Which was a VERY welcome addition, seeing how the towns is basically the same from the start 'till the end of the game, and wandering around the town looking for people to S-link with is really annoying. "
You're kind of a picky guy to be honest >__>

I mean yeah, Persona 3 has its flaws, but none of them are THAT bad. I'll admit the dungeons pale in comparison to those in other SMT games, but then again that wasn't really the focus of P3. And the combat system is fast paced and entertaining as well.

As for the AI, it should never cause any problems at all as long as you know what you're doing. I know it rarely did for me, most of the time when I died it was my fault, not the AI's.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mutha3
@SpiralStairs said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @natetodamax said:

You can't insta-travel from (for instance) the faculty office hallway to the roof. In P4 you could by pressing the square button.  Which was a VERY welcome addition, seeing how the towns is basically the same from the start 'till the end of the game, and wandering around the town looking for people to S-link with is really annoying. "
You're kind of a picky guy to be honest >__>
What can I say? Gotta uphold my nerd cred, yo>:)

Taken by themselves, you're right, those things are neglectable flaws(except for Tartarus). However, when you add up all the time these niggling interface issues take, you'll be in for quite a shock. P3P literally took me 25 hours less to finish then P3. Sure that's partly because I played it before, but its mostly because of the cutscene enshortment and interface fixing.

I mean yeah, Persona 3 has its flaws, but none of them are THAT bad. I'll admit the dungeons pale in comparison to those in other SMT games, but then again that wasn't really the focus of P3.

Then why does 70% of the game take place in Tartarus? That's not an excuse.

And the combat system is fast paced and entertaining as well.  

Sure, but it could have been even better if I had control over my dudes and the enemies were appropriately  balanced for it.

As for the AI, it should never cause any problems at all as long as you know what you're doing. I know it rarely did for me, most of the time when I died it was my fault, not the AI's. "

Hm. 

When Yukari refuses to cast charmdi on the MC and the other characters even though she's set to Heal/Support I find it hard to blame myself.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By natetodamax
@mutha3: 70% seems like a major exaggeration when describing the amount of time one spends in Tartarus. 

All of these just seem like nitpicking to me. I'm loving the game. I look past these flaws for they do not break the game.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mutha3
@natetodamax said:

" @mutha3: 70% seems like a major exaggeration when describing the amount of time one spends in Tartarus.  All of these just seem like nitpicking to me. e. "

In no way do the cutscenes+S-link stuff take more then 25 hours combined. To be honest, even that is a bit of an exaggerated number.

Most people finish Persona 3 in 80-100 hours.

I'm loving the game. I look past these flaws for they do not break the game

How far in are you? the tedium didn't start really getting to me until November:(
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nickux
@mutha3 said:
" @nickux: I strongly recommend you to buy the PSP remake of Persona 3. It fixes a lot of issues the original had, the loss of presentation may be unfortunate, but not as  unfortunate as trying to equip something on your party members in the original Persona 3. "
If I had a PSP I totally would get it- seems to be the highest recommended version in this topic. If I ever get one I'll be sure to pick it up. To me, the loss of presentation might be made up for by its portability.