Avatar image for thewalkingdemon
TheWalkingDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheWalkingDemon

I have just fully beat fallout 3 and NV and was wondering how to get into fallout 1 & 2. I can get past the graphics, but the combat is just really hard to get into. any tips on how to start enjoying older games, not just fallout 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn
Good Old Games sells plenty of.... good old games. Fallout 1 might be freeware somewhere, you'd have to look a bit or you can just get FO1 and 2 off of Steam for, 20 bucks (Which is a little absurd for such an old game.) 

You'll most likely need DOSbox or a similar program, I tried playing Fallout 1 on my PC, but couldnt get it to work properly without it. 
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By napalm

Just fucking go for it. It started out as a headtrip when I was playing Snatcher for the first time like, four months ago. Just go for it, duderoni.

Abram03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Abram03

Just break yourself in.  Start with the crudest of the crude, like Berzerk, text adventures or classic Jumpman.  After a while, you'll find a special delight in cruder graphics.  Thinking in terms of Grandma Moses paintings here -- they ain't masterful, but they're enjoyable to look at.  Older gamers like me don't usually have much of a problem with this, but I can certainly understand how younger gamers might. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Mikemcn said:
Good Old Games sells plenty of.... good old games. Fallout 1 might be freeware somewhere, you'd have to look a bit or you can just get FO1 and 2 off of Steam for, 20 bucks (Which is a little absurd for such an old game.)  You'll most likely need DOSbox or a similar program, I tried playing Fallout 1 on my PC, but couldnt get it to work properly without it. 
Well, both 1 and 2 run well on Windows XP. I don't know what the OP is using though.
Avatar image for thewalkingdemon
TheWalkingDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheWalkingDemon

Yeah, I am just going to go in head first and get into it. I never played fallout for the combat anyway, I will just focus on the story and characters.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WickedFather

I loved Fallout 1 and 2 then 3 was just awful.  What can we tell you here - just keep playing it until it's part of your mindset.  I got so lucky in 1 because I had the plasma cannon thing that was only 2ap instead of 3.  I also had a friend called Ian, but something happened to him.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

It's easy to play older games that are in 2D, the polygonal games of the past are the hardest to go back to. 

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By redbliss

I know what you are saying, but I dont think you can really get into older games unless you played them when they came out. A year ago I picked up MGS1 because I never played the game, but I had a hard time getting through the first couple hours just because it is old and a lot of the mechanics arent used anymore. However, I still like to play Tomb Raider (which I bought when I first got my PS) every now and then, and I dont really have any problems with that game.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Chummy8

Just remember that the older games didn't hold your hand over everything.  Often, there isn't a clear path to take to the next objective or quest and character creation was hardcore.  In Fallout1 and 2, you can seriously gimp your character to not be able to carry anything over 50lbs or be a complete moron who can't even hold a conversation.  (It was awesome, back then). 

My advice is Gamefaqs.com is your friend. 

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jumanji

FALLOUT 1 AND 2 TIPS

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU ENJOY FIGURING STUFF OUT THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR

Firstly, buy it off GoG.

The strongest build is a lucky, perceptive, agile, intelligent sniper perked for crits. This guy is a little weak in the early game but will quickly pick up speed. Always aim for the eyes. You will demolish everything.

The next strongest build is a unarmed combat dude. Drugs are key here. You will also demolish everything. 

There are a ton of redundant skills in Fallout 1 and 2. Stick with the basics: your combat skill(s) and speech. Speech speech speech. THAT SAID, skills can be leveled ridiculously high. This is unnecessary. 150% is more than enough for everyone. (You'll know what I mean when you actually see the character screen.)

HAVE FUN

Stigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Stigs
@Oscar__Explosion said:
It's easy to play older games that are in 2D, the polygonal games of the past are the hardest to go back to. 
Agree with this. I just can't bring myself to play games on the N64 and PS1 for longer than 15 minutes before my eyes start to bleed. The very early 3D stuff I find is extremely difficult to go back to now. 2D is timeless though. 
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Chummy8
@Stigs said:
@Oscar__Explosion said:
Agree with this. I just can't bring myself to play games on the N64 and PS1 for longer than 15 minutes before my eyes start to bleed. The very early 3D stuff I find is extremely difficult to go back to now. 2D is timeless though. 
Exactly my thoughts as well.  I'm right now playing through BG2 again and I can tell you that I would take late 2D graphics over early 3D any day.
Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Oscar__Explosion
@Stigs said:
@Oscar__Explosion said:
and it's really annoying to know that back when those games came out I loved playing them (Ex: ps1 era Final Fantasy's) and now that I think about wanting to play them again I pop in the game and quit after a few mins because of how terrible the games have aged.
tekshow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tekshow
@Oscar__Explosion: I'm with you on that one. If I like a game, and it has aged better than Rene Russo I can get back into it. If the mechanic isn't there and it just sucks the life out of me to play it, then I leave that game fondly in my memory and say goodbye. :)  

It's not worth it with all the great games out there. And some, I love revisiting, up to this point I've played Wind Waker almost once a year. Don't know if that'll keep up since my launch Wii bricked out on me, but it's a great game. Slightly older stuff like Oblivion, Deus Ex and Half Life 2 are still really fun for me. Just depends on your flavor and what you resonate with, and then just go for it!  

Good god, I could see myself playing Punch-Out!! when I'm in my 80s in my little old man apartment in retirement city. It's just that good for me. 
awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By awe_stuck

If you get a game tap account the original fallout games should still be free, they were offering them a couple months ago :D You might wanna check though so you dont waste money.

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By supaman900s

I just beat Resident Evil 2 on my PSP the other day, and that game is pretty old... But it has resparked my interest in other games of that era that I never finished, will probably play through Parasite Eve next...

timmysprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By timmysprinkles
@Oscar__Explosion said:
Truer words have never been spoken. The old 2D games usually have a good art style and can survive on their gameplay. The old polygonal games just feel... old.
LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LostRebel

I never have a problem going back to old games, I regularly replay Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, StarCraft 1, etc.