Playstation 3 or Xbox 360

CapPak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I've been thinking of getting a PS3 for a while cause of The Last of Us, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Sly Cooper, and among other games...(Ni no Kuni FTW). Most of my friends have an Xbox 360 (obviously), but I'm sort of torn between PS3 and XB360. And no, I don't want to buy both, and no, I don't want a next-gen console until I find something great on it (I'll stick with my Wii U for now..).

Xbox 360 or PS3?I know that online play is like $50 a year for Xbox 360 but free on PS3. But it all comes down to the exclusive games.

So, what should I get? Xbox or PS3? Thanks!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

well, all games you cited are PS3 exclusives so I guess you should go with that, I have one and it's pretty good ;P

CapPak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum Xbox has Halo, Gears of War, and *cough cough Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts cough cough*. PS3 has The Last of Us, Sly Cooper 1-4, Shadow of the Colossus/Ico HD, God of War, LittleBigPlanet 1-3, and a bunch of other exclusives. Plus, it has almost every game the Xbox does, except for some shooters I don't care about and some exclusives.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cappak: .... yeah, so more reasons to go with a ps3? just get one already, they are dirt cheap right now.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

PS3, unless you really want to play multiplayer stuff with your friends. Though Xbox does have Alan Wake...

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

It simply comes down to which games you want to play more. I think PS3 is the better value, sporting more first party titles and not requiring you to pay for online play, but ultimately, it's the games that decide. I'd write a small list of games you're excited to play, and if the majority of them can be found on one platform as opposed to the other, go with that one.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

PS3, unless you really want to play multiplayer stuff with your friends. Though Xbox does have Alan Wake...

Alan Wake is on PC, so unless you really like Gears of War I can't think of a reason to get a 360 over a PS3.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By cornbredx

I had both last generation. Just some pros and cons for you to consider.

I got a decent amount of games on both, but I retained my PS3 for the blu ray player (I stopped using the 360 at some point so I sold it because there is literally nothing I would go back to on it I couldn't play somewhere else- and I've never felt that way about a console before).

IMO there was better exclusives on PS3, but multi plat games were often better on XBOX 360 (because the PS3 was notoriously difficult for non Sony developers to develop for).

The UI for the xbox (the XMB I think it's called?) is slower than the PS3, but the store is better on XBOX only because the downloads on XBOX were faster (they seem better on PS3 now, but it's still slow).

Netflix's design was better on XBOX but on PS3 it supports 1080p (if that matters to you).

Both consoles online security have been compromised, but Sony's was the worst.

PS3 used to be a pretty open system, but then they decided to take that away. (probably doesn't matter to you, but some people it did- it wont affect what games you play on it or whatever)

Both consoles can stream media from the PC. I think XBOX is better because it takes very little for it to find shared music and video but with video it seems to be restrictive (it won't play MP4 files). PS3s isn't terrible, but I always have trouble with it. I don't remember if it plays MP4s on PS3, I haven't needed to do it in a long time now.

PS3 has more of a back catalog available by nature of it being a sony platform. PS2 was dominant in the gen before the last one for a reason. XBOX 360 is backwards compatible, but only for a select (strangely small amount) of games. It's annoying. PS3 isn't backwards compatible at all anymore (only early releases were), but you can still purchase PS1 and PS2 games from their store.

I have noticed PS3 to have better deals on games on their store. It seems like microsoft ignored the concept of sales and deals so games tend to always be the same price forever and never feel worth it to download them (when you can purchase a new or used copy of most games for much cheaper). This could have changed, though.

PS3 and XBOX 360 do not require a membership (XBOX is called a gold account, PS3 calls is PS+) to use netflix. XBOX 360 only started allowing this recently.

Both consoles have a service where they will give you deals and free games per month. PS3 started this first, and while I've never used it people seem to like it more than what XBOX 360 has. It seems like the games they do with 360 are usually ones you don't want just from what little I have heard people say about it so PS3 is in favor here.

The 360 controller is better than PS3. I still use mine on my PC.

Edit: Oh ya, PS3 you can play multiplayer for free. 360 you have to pay for a gold membership to play multiplayer.

There may be more, but that's all I can think of right now. Good luck on your decision. Hope this helps!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Unless you plan on playing a lot of multiplayer with your friends I would choose the one that has the most games you want to play

CapPak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie I don't really care about my friends cause most of them are dinguses, so I would rather stick with PS3 cause of all the games they have on it.

@cornbredx Might as well stick with PS3. Free online play, better exclusives, free games with membership. Plus, Blu-Ray!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had you asked this question 5 years ago I would have said 360, easily. The controller is way better, multiplats were better, interface was better, and Xbox Live was ten times the service PSN was.

Now? I'd probably say PS3 since it has the larger library of exclusives. (Especially since it's backwards compatible with PS1 games) Halo and Gears are fantastic but the online population for those games die a little more everyday. (Plus all the main Halo games are getting remastered for Xbox One, and a lot of people are betting Gears will too so...)

BTW, you don't get to keep the "free" games from PS+ if you subscribe to that. You get free access so long as you remain a plus member. (Xbox Live for 360 has a similar program but you actually get to keep them regardless of your membership status. It's not enough for me to say 360 over the PS3 in your case, though.)

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By dagas

They are both great and you can get plenty of cheap games. While PS4/XONE games cost a lot you can get a lot of PS3/360 games cheap. I just bought Forza Motorsport 4 Game of the Year Edition for €13.

I would take PS3 however especially if you plan on buying games digitally. There are a lot of sales and the price is much better than on 360. Every week there are some great deals. I got 9 games for 50 USD (I have a US account as well even if I live in EU).

If you want JRPG's then PS3 is the way to go. There are still games coming out. Fairy Fencer F and Ar Nosurge just came out for example.

CapPak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nateema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All you need to know is that the PS3 has Luftrausers. Everything else is an irrelevance.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By ike7779

PS3 controllers are rechargeable too, which I prefer, but if you are already in the Wii ecosystem you probably have a good setup for rechargeable batteries.

One other thing: I don't think there is a way to save video files to the 360, I couldn't find a way. It has been nice to rip and store some things like workout vids to my PS3 so I don't have to swap discs or boot up a media server each time.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

@cappak said:

@colourful_hippie I don't really care about my friends cause most of them are dinguses, so I would rather stick with PS3 cause of all the games they have on it.

@cornbredx Might as well stick with PS3. Free online play, better exclusives, free games with membership. Plus, Blu-Ray!

The PS3 can also play PS1 games, but not PS2 unless it is an old 20/60gb version.

You should also research which games you want to play from both systems, and make the choice that will give you the greatest enjoyment. Multiplatform games in the PS3 for most of the generation performed worse than the Xbox 360 counterparts also, but this doesn't happen anymore, and hasn't happened for three/four years.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

@cappak: Couldn't pass up a fellow Nuts and Bolts fan, I adored that game and I'm sad no one played it. If you get a 360, please play this! Its a unique experience!

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ps3 has better Japanese centric exclusives and some really unique games (heavy rain, last of us) and the xbox has some more "mainstream" exclusives. so some great shooters etc. i like unique and different so id go ps3. n

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In 2007 I would have said 360. Today I would say PS3.

CapPak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CapPak

@nickhead I was a fan of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, but not Nuts and Bolts. Everything was so DIFFERENT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l69BP1uhlMs Here, watch this. As its own game, good. As a Banjo Kazooie game, no.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a lot of multiplatform games on Xbox 360 instead of the PS3, because the 360 tends to have much more consistent performance on those games. So, if you plan on playing a lot of multiplatform games like shooters, i.e. Call of Duty, then the 360 is probably the way to go. However, with the PS3, you will get the exclusives that come with it also, which judging from your post, you are more interested in anyway.

That having been said, you can't really go wrong with either one at this point. They both have a massive library of games, including retail and downloadable titles.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS3 has better games. Get it.