DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

Stop Me if You've Heard This Before...
   With the release of the DSi in mere hours, I thought I'd give my PSP a little love... because it might be a little while before it gets any further. So I picked upPrinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?. (review forthcoming, I hope.) Last night I saddled up, popped it in, and fired up the ol' Portable only to find it saying it wants an update. I went to give it said update when it told me no. My system told me no. It wanted to be charged up. I sighed, knowing my fate... I wasn't playing Prinny any time soon. I hooked the PSP up to it's charger, set it aside, and started playing my DS.

The point of this story? I'm just writing this in the vain hope that Sony learns from it's terrible software. Maybe they have on one of the newer models, and if so... well that's great! I should probably pick one up sometime soon. Because this is otherwise ridiculous. I just want to play my game, and I don't like my systems telling me no.

And so the DSi is here soon, and I cannot wait.

Alright, the last time I had some gripes with Sony I got flamed by fanboys, so let's see it happen again. Proove me right.

-Make it a good one.
   Randy "Dr. Randle" Marr

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrRandle

Stop Me if You've Heard This Before...
   With the release of the DSi in mere hours, I thought I'd give my PSP a little love... because it might be a little while before it gets any further. So I picked upPrinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?. (review forthcoming, I hope.) Last night I saddled up, popped it in, and fired up the ol' Portable only to find it saying it wants an update. I went to give it said update when it told me no. My system told me no. It wanted to be charged up. I sighed, knowing my fate... I wasn't playing Prinny any time soon. I hooked the PSP up to it's charger, set it aside, and started playing my DS.

The point of this story? I'm just writing this in the vain hope that Sony learns from it's terrible software. Maybe they have on one of the newer models, and if so... well that's great! I should probably pick one up sometime soon. Because this is otherwise ridiculous. I just want to play my game, and I don't like my systems telling me no.

And so the DSi is here soon, and I cannot wait.

Alright, the last time I had some gripes with Sony I got flamed by fanboys, so let's see it happen again. Proove me right.

-Make it a good one.
   Randy "Dr. Randle" Marr

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I like how Sony handled the infrastructure of their firmware and whatnot. I mean, I use custom firmware on my PSP, but it was nice to see Sony handle their portable as a multimedia device from the get-go. Yeah, it sucks that you have to charge the PSP before updating it, but I'd rather have upgradable firmware than having to pour more money into another iteration.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By PufferFiz

You have to charge it, in the rare case that power runs out. If it did while updating your PSP it would be a brick. Since these firmware updates don't patch files, they reinstall the os.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

So... you know you probably could have done the update right off when you plugged it in, right? Are you complaining about the fact that Sony strives to improve their firmware offerings? Or that you didn't know how to update the firmware as fast as you'd like? I don't get it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By oldschool

I also thought that you can do the update whilst the console is charging - at least I remember doing it.

The idea that if the sytem lost power it would brick the console is just horrid.  Deliberately putting that in the machine is lunacy.  I wonder if it ever happened to anyone.
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

The system has to be at least 75% charge regardless of whether or not it's plugged in. It's just to safeguard the system in the event of a charger disconnection or a blackout.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By oldschool
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"The system has to be at least 75% charge regardless of whether or not it's plugged in. It's just to safeguard the system in the event of a charger disconnection or a blackout."
See, that's how long ago I did it, because I don't remeber that.  I do remember a similar feeling to the OP though.  I pick up the game and think, I'll have a quick look and find I have to update.  Kind of kills the moment.  Whilst we are it though - forced updates really piss me off.  You should not have to update unless you want to, not be forced to do it by a game or not, by returning the game you want.  The Wii pisses me off with this as well (Animal Crossing).  

You should be able to download an update from their sites and then install it (via the memory stick/card).  
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_

I'm pretty sure you can charge it plugged in if it's below 75%, but I don't know.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

Dude, the reason why you have to charge it is because the battery can't go dead while doing the update or it will fuck up your system.

It is not a problem, it is a quality.

Are you retarded or something?

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DrRandle

And I'm right again, thanks Snail!

I'm aware of why the system has to be charged but that does not change the frustration stemming from the fact that I just wanted to play my god damned game, and this happens every time I buy a PSP game. And every time I decided to move back to something else.

And now I thought it was patching the system, but is it reinstalling the OS? Because if so, that seems even more retarded than it possibly needs to be.

My point here was that between this and the crap you have to deal with on a regular basis with the PS3's downloading and installation segments, Sony's software is completely bunk. It's just plain not as good as Microsoft or Nintendo's, and that is not an arguable point. It's the F'n truth, and if you don't believe me, you need to reevaluate your status as a Fanboy incapable of separating yourself from a corporation who doesn't give two shits about you.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
DrRandle said:
"And I'm right again, thanks Snail!I'm aware of why the system has to be charged but that does not change the frustration stemming from the fact that I just wanted to play my god damned game, and this happens every time I buy a PSP game. And every time I decided to move back to something else.And now I thought it was patching the system, but is it reinstalling the OS? Because if so, that seems even more retarded than it possibly needs to be.My point here was that between this and the crap you have to deal with on a regular basis with the PS3's downloading and installation segments, Sony's software is completely bunk. It's just plain not as good as Microsoft or Nintendo's, and that is not an arguable point. It's the F'n truth, and if you don't believe me, you need to reevaluate your status as a Fanboy incapable of separating yourself from a corporation who doesn't give two shits about you."
So you're basically complaining that you don't keep your system up to date, so when it wants to do maintainence and make sure it's running on the best possible software, that annoys you? You have nobody to complain about but yourself. As for Sony's software being bunk- what? Out of the two systems, the PSP's firmware is the most powerful by far. It also receives continuous updates and dedication from Sony. It's done nothing but get better and better, repeatedly, for free. It definitely kicks the shit out of any Nintendo firmware, and Microsoft doesn't even have a handheld, so it is an arguable point. As for Snail, he didn't "prove you right" at all, given that he's not a Sony fanboy and he was completely correct. I don't need to re-evalutate my status as a "fanboy" incapable of seperating myself from a corporation, because most of the other posters and I are the reasonable ones in this thread, and your's is the ridiculous position. Get over it.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By get2sammyb
DrRandle said:
" and if you don't believe me, you need to reevaluate your status as a Fanboy incapable of separating yourself from a corporation who doesn't give two shits about you."
I think you need to re-evaluate yours.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus

Just out of curiosity, does anyone you know actually call you dr. randle?