Post Your Current User GOTY List

• 160 results
Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Not sure if there's a place where we can see everyone's official Giant Bomb User GOTY list, so I'm starting this thread. Since, like me, many of you are cramming games so they don't get spoiled during the duders' GOTY epicness, these lists are subject to change, I'm going to include a date at the head of each update. It could be interesting to track the changes in individuals' lists as the official tally approaches.

Happy Holidays, duders!

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Sure!

1. NieR: Automata

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

3. What Remains of Edith Finch

4. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

5. Night in the Woods

6. Persona 5

7. Super Mario Odyssey

8. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

9. Horizon Zero Dawn

10. Cuphead

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Right now it's:

1. Life is Strange: Before the Storm

2. Sniper Elite 4

3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

4. Yakuza 0

5. Love Nikki-Dress UP Queen

6. Night in the Woods

7. Horizon Zero Dawn

8. Persona 5

9. Yakuza Kiwami

10. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

I should add that I only played No. 1-3 and No. 5, plus I watched Beast in the East. The others are games I wanna play, but haven't yet. Overall I gotta say, for me personally 2016 was a much better and more interesting year for gaming than 2017. Do not care about pretty much any of the games that are probably gonna dominate top 5 GOTYs this year on many sites.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I'm still thinking through my GOTY, so this list might change a bit before I post it, but here ya go:

1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Sonic Mania
  3. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
  4. Super Mario Odyssey
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  6. Resident Evil 7 biohazard
  7. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
  8. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dryker

12-14-17

(Damn it! People posted before I could even compose my list...)

I haven't played ten games that also came out this year of our lordly games 2017, but I buy a lot of games, but find myself never getting around to playing quite a few of them. I considered buying fewer games, but I'm really stoked by all the creativity out there in the industry I love. So I decided to start waiting until games were on sale to pick them up; a little financial damage control. A kind of voting with my dollars thing. "I may never get around to playing you, but I approve of your creation, so here's some bucks." Unfortunately, this system isn't very conducive to GOTY, so my list has some rather odd entries, but as a whole, I still tried to stick to either games that came out this year, or had major expansions this year. Of course, like my official Giant Bomb User GOTY List, it's subject to change.

Dryker's GOTY List 2017

1. Destiny 2: Easily my GOTY. Second to none game play, beautiful graphics, amazing art design, excellent music, and spent the most time playing (main reason so behind on new games). (The writing, by the way, is abysmal. Have no idea why Bungie knocks it outta the park in every other respect, but falls flat in the writing department.)

2. Horizon: Zero Dawn: Gorgeous world, great art design (robotic fuckin' dinosaurs!), and super fun game play. Unlike most, I found the moment to moment dialogue cringe worthy and skipped through most of it. The over-arcing story was cool, but the dialogue just rubbed me the wrong way. Couldn't quite put my finger on it. Too wordy, perhaps? Too unnatural? I don't know, some of the verbal expressions just seemed over indulgent. I read a lot, perhaps I'm too picky, but one of my later choices is the exact opposite. Who knows? Perhaps I'm becoming out of touch. Doesn't keep it from making my second game of the year, though.

3. Zelda: BOTW: I'm kinda cheating here. Just picked up a Switch and this a couple days ago, and barely have gotten off the plateau, but I can tell I'm going to enjoy this more than Shadow of War. I like the art style, the sound effects, and that Nintendo je ne sais quoi (childlike, but appreciable by adults. Similar to the best Pixar stuff).

4. Shadow of War: Has gotten a bad rap. I've ignored the loot boxes entirely, have over a dozen legendary orcs, and have just recently gotten to the last act (about 90 hours in). Unlike Horizon, I've found the writing better than most video games. No Moby Dick, of course, but we're talking about video games here. The over-arcing story was fine, and the moment to moment dialogue was fine to good. Although, the part about a new ring was rather ridiculous, but other than that, I found the rest rather entertaining. The orcs have some of the best lines around, and the voice actors execute them superbly. The game play is fun, but a little overwhelming. There're just so many ways to murder orcs, it's hard to remember them all. No qualms about it, orc genocide here. Orc execution and orc subjugation. If this makes you uncomfortable, there's always Pong. No people death, no cartoon death, not even abstracted geometric death, just dots and paddles. Safe. (Jeff's right about Talion's appearance, though. WTF is going on there!?.)

5. Wolfenstein II: I'm really cheating here. Haven't even played this yet. But I bought it, and I expect it to be somewhere near the top this year, so to hopefully avoid drastic change, I've placed it at Number 5. Higher than games I've actually played! Strange, but somehow makes sense in The Grand Scheme.

6. Cuphead: Same thing: haven't played yet, own it, and expect it to be up here. Hopefully before the official tally.

7. No Man's Sky: Fuckin' ay right! Have you seen what they've done to this game since release? Hats off to those guys. And they're nowhere near done. And? I've actually played this game this year! It's still rad. It made my GOTY list when everyone else was trashing it. And now? It's even better!

8. Assassin's Creed: Haven't played. Don't own it... yet. Probably get around to it next year some time. Probably deserves to be much higher on this list, but since I haven't played it, nor do I own it, my head canon puts it here. Some may be thinking, "Why the fuck did you buy Shadow of War over Assasin's?" Fair question. Orcs. Bloody fucking orcs. If they had belligerent Egyptians and Greeks cracking wise and controlled by the Nemesis System in Ubisoft's latest assassination simulator, I'm sure it would've beaten Destiny 2 as my GOTY.

9. Ruiner: Again, haven't played, but I do own it. Expect to enjoy it. It came out this year. It makes this list.

10. Darkest Dungeon: Crimson Court landed this year. Looks dope! Can't wait to sink another 100 hours into this RPG masterpiece. But. Haven't played the expansion yet. The original game didn't come out this year. Hence it's low position on this list. These guys nail the Lovecraftian vibe better than anyone. Even, dare I say, Guillermo del Torro.

fetterdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

1. Horizon Zero Dawn
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Pyre
  4. Assassin's Creed Origins
  5. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  6. SteamWorld Dig 2
  7. Destiny 2
  8. Everybody's Golf
  9. What Remains of Edith Finch
  10. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Master_Funk

I have switched my 1 and 2 pick multiple times, but after going back to my now number 1 game recently, I have no doubts it is the best game of the year:

1) The Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild

2) Nier: Automata

3) Persona 5

4) Yakuza 0

5) Super Mario : Oddyssey

6) Assassins Creed: Origins

7) Night in the Woods

8) Cuphead

9) Wolfenstein 2

10) Steamworld Dig 2

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

At the moment (although I haven't given it a full consideration till I finish some other games), the list is:

Top 5 in no particular order yet - I don't see this top five changing, but the order will shuffle, I think I have it worked out but things could change. I'm also basing Hellblade on the strength of the opening couple of hours.

Cuphead

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nier: Automata

Super Mario Odyssey

The next 5 - some of these might be pushed out by the unplayed games I'm going to get to

Metroid: Samus Returns

Night in the Woods

Observer

Tacoma

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Finally, there are two I want to put some time into over Christmas:

Battle Chef Brigade

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (I know I wont be able to finish this one, but I'll see the impression it leaves on me after about 10 or so hours worth of play)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I haven't finished Hellblade yet:

1. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  2. Prey
  3. Fidel Dungeon Rescue
  4. Everything
  5. Cuphead
  6. Endless Space 2
  7. Mighty Gunvolt Burst
  8. Blaster Master Zero
  9. Stories Untold
  10. What Remains of Edith Finch
adamkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Cuphead

3. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

4. Super Mario Odyssey

5. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

6. Yakuza 0

7. Injustice 2

8. Prey

9. Assassin's Creed: Origins

10. Horizon Zero Dawn

Man, what a year! Can't wait for the 3000 hours of GOTY podcasts the site recorded. Might finish them in time for next year. Merry xmas everybody! x

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I've only played 3 games from this year...

2. Gravity Rush 2
  3. Horizon: Zero Dawn (haven't quite beaten it so default last)

If I was to rank top 10 games I beat for the 1st time this year:

1. Killer 7
  2. The Last Guardian
  3. The Witcher 3
  4. XCOM: EU
  5. Deus Ex: HR
  6. God Hand
  7. NieR: Automata*
  8. Yakuza 4
  9. Gravity Rush 2*
  10. Freedom Fighters
  11. The Darkness
  12. Inside

*From this year

knivesouttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By knivesouttt

Hey!

At the moment it looks like this:

2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Steamworld Dig 2
  4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  5. Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  6. Nier: Automata
  7. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  8. Night In The Woods
  9. Cuphead
  10. Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds

Games I started but haven't finished:

1. Nioh
  2. Gravity Rush 2
  3. Persona 5

Games I would've loved to have played, but won't by the end of the year:

1. Tacoma
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. Injustice 2
  4. Puyo Puyo Tetris
  5. Battle Chef Brigade
superjop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I remember correctly, I turned in this list:

1. Persona 5

2. Horizon Zero Dawn

3. Yakuza 0

4. Nier: Automata

5. Marvel Heroes Omega (PS4)

6. Wipeout Omega Collection

7. Cities Skylines (PS4)

Cities Skylines probably wouldn't have made this list if I had played 4 more games from this year, but I haven't, so y'know...

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Persona 5 - without a doubt this was a bit of a disappointment in comparison to my favorite game of all time: Persona 4. However, despite a few gripes with its cast and parts of its ending, Persona 5 takes the winning formula of 4 and streamlines it, makes it look better than ever. The style and music alone are worth awards in my mind, but many of the social links in this game are the best of the entire series, and the dungeons are actually fun to be in this time. I'm so glad I took that 100 hour journey with Persona 5 this year.

2. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony - I love the danganronpa series, and while I think I might still say 2 is my favorite overall, this game might have my favorite ending to any game ever. It was INSANE, in the best possible way

3. Super Mario Odyssey - Any other year this should have been my number 1. Mario 64 was basically my first game I ever played, and I have loved all of the 3d mario games (yes, that includes Sunshine, though it is the worst of them all). This game is literal joy put into a video game. The costumes are maybe my favorite addition, they add such a great element to the already fun photo mode. I will still be exploring around these worlds collecting moons for months to come.

4. NieR: Automata - I have more mixed feelings on this game than perhaps any other in quite some time. But the highs of this game are perhaps unmatched. Ending E just might be the most emotional I have felt about any video game in several years, not just this year. Also A2 rules.

5. Yakuza 0 - This is probably the best Yakuza game. The story has all the best elements of previous Yakuza stories, without really any of the bad. The sidequests are easily the best in the series. and despite some tedium with the real estate and Cabaret club mini games, they add a lot of neat side stories. The real stars here are the two main characters Kiryu and Majima, who are both written and voiced so well.

6. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd - PLAY THE "TRAILS OF" SERIES. I started playing this series last year, and blazed through Trails in the Sky 1 and 2, as well as Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2. They are the best written games I have ever played, the world building is second to none. The more these games are localized the better, and that only happens if more people play this series, so please give these a shot. As for 3rd, it's probably the weakest of the five I've played, but that's not saying much. While the main story takes forever to get somewhere interesting, the "doors" provide interesting context for what's happening in the middle of this series, and allows you to get to know some of the secondary characters way better.

7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - It did it. It shook up the Zelda franchise, completely for the better. I loved just exploring in this world and doing shrines. I did fall off of this game hard though and have not found a good reason to go back.

8. Steins;Gate 0 - A sequel to my favorite Visual Novel/Anime: Steins;Gate. This is more Steins;Gate, and that's a very good thing. I love how it fits into the original Steins;Gate story, and I like the new heroine they bring into the story quite a lot.

9. Yakuza Kiwami - A slightly less good Yakuza zero. It's hampered by having to stick to the same story of the original Yakuza, which I feel is the weakest story of the series. But all of the side stuff is just as good as 0

10. Mass Effect: Andromeda - Yeah it was a disappointment, but I still had fun messing around with the tried and true formula of a Bioware RPG. I was never as bothered by its flaws as most of the internet seemed to be.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By MattGiersoni

Here's mine:

1. Divinity Original Sin 2

2. Persona 5

3. Horizon Zero Dawn

4. Assassin's Creed Origins

5. Heat Signature

6. Unexplored

7. Nier Automata

8. Night in the Woods

9. Everybody's Golf

10. Prey

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WasabiCurry

Since everyone is doing it!

1. Legend of Zelda: Breathe of the Wild

2. Yakuza 0

3. PUBG

4. Night in the Woods

5. Sonic Mania

6. Super Mario Odyssey

7. Cuphead

8. Oxygen Not Included

9. Okami (first time I played the game but I really enjoyed it)

10. Doki Doki Literature Club

Eroq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Super Mario Odyssey

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild

3. NieR: Automata

4. Persona 5

5. Doki Doki Literature Club

6. Hollow Knight

7. Cuphead

8. Night in the Woods

9. Divinity: Original Sin II

10. Resident Evil 7

Odyssey was a joy to play from start to finish, so I really have to give it my top spot. The only one I haven't finished on this list is Divinity, but I played enough of it to really enjoy my time with it. Wolfenstein II would probably be number 11 for me.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Persona 5
  2. Yakuza 0
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  4. Super Mario Odyssey
  5. Life is Strange: Before the Storm
  6. Steamworld Dig 2
  7. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  8. Yakuza Kiwami
  9. Horizon Zero Dawn
  10. The Evil Within 2
Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

2. Divinity Original Sin 2
  3. Persona 5
  4. Splatoon 2
  5. Pyre
  6. Yakuza 0
  7. Cuphead
  8. Prey
  9. Night in the Woods
  10. Doki Doki Literature Club
elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

2. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  3. PlayerUnkown's Battlegrounds
  4. Persona 5
  5. The Evil Within 2
  6. Resident Evil VII biohazard
  7. Hollow Knight
  8. Yakuza 0
  9. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  10. Typeshift
L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Here's my list!

1. Breath of the Wild
  2. Hollow Knight
  3. Super Mario Odyssey
  4. PUBG
  5. Cuphead
  6. Steamworld Dig 2
  7. Road Redemption (No really, this left Early Access and is pretty good now!)
  8. Picross S
  9. What Remains of Edith Finch
  10. Fast RMX
MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#23  Edited By MightyDuck

Here goes....

1. Fortnite: Don't have a gaming PC and this was the closest I could get to PUBG. That being said, my friends and I have put 50+ hours in already on Battle Royale and have had a blast. Even better, it was free!
  2. Everybody's Golf: I've been a fan of the Hot Shots series since the original. This game is great for playing a round of golf and listening to podcast. I've made it through about 3 sets of the individual CPU opponents you play against and want to keep on going.
  3. Ghost Recon Wildlands: My buddy and I have been waiting for a game sort of similar to Socom to take up the reigns of 3rd person shooters. He and I played the entire game through co-op and loved every minute of it. My only gripe is Ubisoft really has to get their act together with NAT Type issues. It's the only game we've had issues with. I really need to jump in and try the new competitive multiplayer.
  4. Injustice 2: Wow! I haven't played a fighter in a long time. This is the most time I've spent with one since Tekken 5. Great story mode, great customization, and great gameplay. I couldn't ask for more.
  5. Sonic Mania: I still remember getting my Genesis and the original Sonic for Christmas 1992. This instantly brought me back to those days. This is the way you should do a remake/remaster-esque style game.
  6. Dirt 4: I've been a big fan of the DIRT series over time. Dirt 3 was my favorite, but Dirt 4 comes in pretty strong as well. While I wish there was much more rally cross, the game continues to offer tons of replay value and enjoyment.
  7. Horizon Zero Dawn: An amazing open world with a pretty stellar story. I was sold once the story got it's hooks in me. I look forward to pushing further into the game to see where the story goes.
  8. South Park Fractured But Whole: I come and go on the South Park tv show, but after playing this game I went back to Hulu to catch a few episodes. I still find the series somewhat funny, and combining this with pretty great RPG gameplay pushes it onto my list.
  9. NHL 18: The implementation of a 3vs3 online mode for EASHL was an awesome addition. Not having to rely on lackadaisical CPU defensemen has made it that more enjoyable. The "Threes" arcade mode has shades of NHL Hitz in it as well, which is great.
  10. Nioh: I was a huge fan of both Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2, so I felt this would be a great fit. For whatever reason, I didn't stick with Nioh as long as I hoped, but my time with it was enjoyable and action packed. The co-op mode was a welcomed edition as I fought my way through some of the tougher areas.

Other games I'm still thinking about...Resident Evil 7, Sniper Elite 4, Battle Chasers Nightwar, MLB The Show 17. I need to dive back in to these as well and see if they stick.

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By punisherkaos

1. Persona 5. Tho i have some issues with this game such as it's portrayal of homosexuals and a few predictable story bits it still ranks as my favourite game this year. The style and soundtrack are absolutely incredible and the combat is the best it's ever been in the series

2.Destiny 2. I sunk dozens and dozens of hours into this game and made some new friends in the process. Sure it's not perfect but the gunplay and loot loop along with the fun co op experiences make it a fantastic game.

3.Horizon Zero Dawn. Definitely the most unique setting iv'e seen in awhile and Alloy is one of my favourite characters in recent memory. and strategically taking down the giant machines was incredibly satisfying

4.Resident evil 7. I had all but written off Resident evil after 6 but it's return to it's horror roots made this a great ride. It felt like the old resident evil i know and love while also feeling fresh new and exciting

5.Legend of Zelda Breath of the wild. In a year of great open world games this one really stood out. The world felt alive and natural in a way most other game worlds do not. The shrines where always a blast and the level of freedom this game gives u makes it the best zelda since wind waker imo.

6.Assassins creed Orgins. This was a surprise hit for me since everything i saw about it pre release looked silly..i laughed and just shook my head when i saw the eagle/drone mechanic but after sinking dozens of hours into this game i honestly want that eagle in every ac game going forward. The combat took some getting use to but the main draw was the world..exploring Egypt was rewarding in and of itself.

7. Splatoon 2 Really not a lot to say here lol..i really liked splatoon and this was just more of that..i enjoyed the new weapons a lot and the salmon run mode is a blast...when I'm allowed to play it.

8.Super Mario Odyssey. This game is just such a joy...im pretty sure every second of it i just had a dumb grin on face. Each world so exciting and i loved how the meshed different art styles together..it's so weird and unnintendo like but I'm glad they just had fun with it

9. Wolfenstein 2. I love just about everything in this game..the soundtrack, the world and the issues it comments on as well as the characters and the bat shit insanity that is constant threw out the whole damn thing. The only reason it isn't higher on this list tho is because there is one thing i don't like about it....playing the game, i found it a bit to brutal difficulty wise and i never felt like the Nazi killing badass that the story treated u as.

10.South park the fractured but whole. I still feel conflicted about this game..i laughed hard at some parts and was just straight up disgusted at others..and not in the funny "haha thats so gross" but i can't deny that i loved the combat way more then i thought i would and that 90 percent of the game i found hilarious.

honorable mentions-yakuza zero, injustice 2, butterfly soup, little nightmares and probably more...it's been a great year for games lol

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Seikenfreak

Current list. Here is my massive write up on the whole year for me in games along with specific stuff for each of those listed below. This is where I'm at at the moment. Not sure it'll change.

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  2. Steamworld Dig 2
  3. Gran Turismo Sport
  4. Resident Evil VII
  5. Final Fantasy 14: Stormblood
  6. Hunter: Call of the Wild
  7. Mudrunner: A Spintires Game
  8. Wipeout Omega Collection
  9. Top Gear 2 (yea, its a SNES game, but I played it for the first time and really finished it)
  10. Solitairica

Biggest Disappointment: Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odyssey

Battlegrounds

Rabbits

Persona

Rocket League Switch

Animal Crossing New Leaf Rerelease

Hitman DLC and Elusive Targets

Breath of the Wild for Wii U (constantly buying it for $29 and selling it back to GS for $49-$64 probably netted me enough profit to pay for half of a Nintendo Switch.

Black Ops 2 Backwards Compatibility

MK8 Deluxe

Due note I’ve bought but not opened Horizon, Wolfenstein, Nier, Nioh, Splatoon 2, and like a dozen other games.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BabyChooChoo

In no particular order and I'll elaborate more on each on my real list obviously:

• Gravity Rush 2 (all I know right now is that this is definitely my number 1 so there's that...)
  • Nioh
  • Horizon
  • Stormblood
  • Paragon
  • Etrian Odyssey V
  • Torment
  • Dragon Quest VIII 3DS
  • FF12 Zodiac Age

rest are TBD. I actually fucking forgot I bought FE Echoes and Danganronpa 1/2 for PS4 so I wanna play those too before I finalize anything.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. NieR: Automata - I'm not entirely sure how much of it is love for the game vs. love for Yoko Taro's social media presence, but I'm pretty sure NieR is okay.
  2. Persona 5 - Better than 4. (Ok, more nuanced: the localisation holds it back sometimes but the story and cast are both really strong. While Persona 4 is the funnier game it did suffer from pretty dysfunctional relationships between male and female party members across the board. It's hard to revisit. Persona 5's presentation is pure Styyyyyyle, the dungeon and combat design are finally good, and the game makes smart use of SLinks/confidants.)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - This was probably my most anticipated game back in 2016, though I didn't actually get to play it until November, at which point all the game's strength and weaknesses had been talked about at length. On the whole, I think this game is an excellent pivot for the series and its world is remarkably beautiful, though it does come at the expense of areas that are usually series strengths (the most sorely missed being the dungeons and puzzle design). I will go on the record as pro-durability, but the melee combat itself is awfully sloppy and the menus are not at all built for it.
  4. Gravity Rush 2 - Shifting is great and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. More importantly, Gravity Rush stands out in a crowded year because it's just brimming with charm, and that filters down to even the simplest of sidequests.
  5. Splatoon 2- Deserves special recognition for being the first multiplayer game that I've really fallen in love with. I'm sure it's not terribly new but as I never had a WiiU I'm fine with that. It's also one of the best looking and sounding games of the year. Those final boss tracks!
  6. Cuphead - I mean... it's really good? You know this. Screw Honeycomb Herald.
  7. Horizon Zero Dawn- It feels incredibly good to shoot canisters off robot dinosaurs. I appreciated the story, though it was let down by a slew of dry characters.
  8. Super Mario Odyssey - I went into this game knowing I wasn't a fan of platformers. That hasn't changed, but I still had a great time.
  9. Nioh - A brilliant combat system with a mediocre game attached to it. But I sunk 90+ hours into this and played all the DLCs so I guess that's not a deal breaker.
  10. Doki Doki Literature Club - While it ultimately ended up feeling more exploitative than exploratory of mental illness, I do want to acknowledge that this game can be striking when it wants to be.

Honourable mention: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS4)- A very cool, very messy game that I finally got around to after 5 years of recommendations. I hope that more action RPG developers end up drawing inspiration from the gameplay here, but maybe that ship has sailed. Actually, I can see a lot of it in Breath of the Wild, so I'll hold out a little longer.

Games that would probably rank had I actually found time for them: Yakuza 0, Pyre, Hollow Knight, Night in the Woods, Wolfenstein 2, The Evil Within 2

hrairoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Doki Doki Literature Club
2. West of Loathing
3. Sonic Mania
4. Dead Cells
5. PUBG
6. Wilmot's Warehouse
7. Getting Over It
8. Portal Knights
9. Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy
10. Silver Grapple

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Assassins Creed Origins

2. PREY

3. PUBG

4. Cuphead

5. Steamworld Dig 2

6. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

7. Persona 5

8. Horizon

9. Ghost Recon: Wildlands

10. BOTW

Not final but that's off the top of my head

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Nioh
  2. Persona 5
  3. (HUGE GAP HERE)
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn
  5. (HUGE GAP HERE)
  6. Windjammers
  7. (HUGE GAP HERE)
  8. Prey
  9. FIFA 18
TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TopCat88

I haven't played many games this year, but these are the ones I've enjoyed playing and watching this year.

1. PUBG

2. Wolfenstein II

3. Cuphead

4. South Park: Fractured But Whole

5. Sonic Mania

6. Super Mario Odyssey

7. Destiny 2

8. Fifa 18

9. Windjammers

10. Gang Beasts

Edit: Forgot about South Park (removed Assassin's Creed: Origins)

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

1. Pyre

2. The legend of zelda: Breath of the wild

3. Persona 5

4. Super mario odyssey

5. Nier Automata

6. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

7. Resident Evil 7 Biohazard

8. Wolfenstein 2: the new colossus

9.The evil within 2

10.Divinity: Orignal Sin 2

Played a lot of games this year but this is what i had the most fun playing this year

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I Have my comprehensive list with descriptions explaining each game’s position on my profile and in another thread, but here it is anyway:

1. Super Mario Odyssey

2. PUBG

3. Assassin’s Creed Origins

4. Horizon Zero Dawn

5. Persona 5

6. Golf Story

7. Wolfenstein II

8. Nioh

9. Breath of the Wild

10. Divinity Original Sin 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Nier: Automata
  2. Persona 5
  3. Nioh
  4. Assassin’s Creed Origins
  5. Everybody's Golf
  6. Destiny 2
  7. Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™
  8. Ruiner
  9. Prey
  10. Divinity: Original Sin 2

There are a couple games I haven't played yet but want to (Horizon, for example) but right now, this is my list. After 3 hours of play, I really disliked Wolfenstein II and I'm not sure I want to return to it later. And I don't have a Switch or an Xbox.

CaptnKamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. X-Com War of the Chosen
  4. Middle Earth: Shadow of War
  5. Golf Story
  6. Splatoon 2
  7. Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  8. Metroid Samus Returns
  9. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  10. Sonic Mania
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JoeyRavn
  2. NieR: Automata
  3. Super Mario Odyssey
  4. Destiny 2
  5. Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
  6. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  7. Resident Evil 7 biohazard
  8. Injustice 2
  9. Metroid: Samus Returns
  10. Horizon Zero Dawn
cfilipec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By cfilipec
  2. Persona 5
  3. Nioh
  4. What Remains of Edith Finch
  5. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  6. Pyre
  7. Yakuza 0
  8. Uncharted Lost Legacy
  9. Horizon Zero Dawn
  10. Tekken 7
ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1: Horizon Zero Dawn

2: Hellblade

3: Injustice 2

4: Uncharted Lost Legacy

5: Mario Odyssey

6: Pyre

7: Yakuza 0

8: Wolfenstein II

9: Breath of the Wild

10: Prey

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ozzdog12

When I do these, I normally limit it to 7.... so here it is

1: Horizon Zero Dawn

2: Uncharted Lost Legacy

3: Wolfenstein II

4: Injustice 2

5: Mario Odyssey

6: Hellblade

7: Breath of the Wild

Honorable mentions: Samus Returns & Pyre

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

2. Nioh
  3. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  4. Nier Automata
  5. Cuphead
  6. Mario Odyssey
  7. Aaero
  8. What remains of Edith Finch
  9. Resident Evil VII
  10. Gravity Rush 2
Avatar image for rauthelegendary
RauTheLegendary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RauTheLegendary

This was a really weird year for me. Tons of games, but none actually stood out as amazing.

1. XCOM 2: War of the Chosen - Feels like cheating to put DLC on the list. WotC made some great additions and took the XCOM experience to a new level. Seeing the recent XCOM series on this site made me realize just how much the base XCOM 2 improved the formula and this DLC manages to make an even bigger improvement. XCOM has never been more threatening and fun for me.

2. Divinity Original Sin 2 - Started out amazing. Pacing in chapter two was poor, the final chapter was a drag and many quests ended up being a buggy mess. The combat and writing was good enough to still carry it high up my list though. The feeling of being able to solve quests in so many different ways is great.

3. Persona 5 - A much better game than Persona 4, but I can't say I liked it as much. The cast just wasn't as entertaining. Some of the later dungeons dragged on a bit and had annoying mechanics. Still enjoyed my time with it. The game looks and sounds absolutely amazing.

4. PUBG - I'm a bit conflicted on this one. On one hand this is definitely the game I had the most fun with throughout the year. On the other hand it's also still a mess and the new map wasn't doing it for me on the test server.

5. Nier Automata - I went into this list thinking this game was going to end up in the top three, but remembering just how much it drags on and how I had to force myself to continue made me reconsider it. It's a great game held back by the repetitive combat and boring open world. The ending and soundtrack are absolutely amazing though. Definitely my number one for 'moment of the year'.

6. Horizon Zero Dawn - This is basically a placeholder for now. I've only started it very recently and I'm really liking it so far. Has the potential to end up higher on the list.

7. Battlerite - Takes much of what I like about moba's and puts it into a much less frustrating package. Great game, even though most of my playtime is from when it released in early access last year.

8. Pyre - Doesn't do as much for me as Bastion or Transistor did, but it was still a solid and unique experience.

9. Hollow Knight - I don't even like metroidvania games and played this from start to finish. It didn't always feel as tight as it should, but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

10. Yakuza 0 - Only watched the Giantbomb videos on this one and enjoyed the characters, setting and amazing moments enough to put it on the list. I don't think I could stomach the repetitive fights myself.

Other stuff that didn't make the list:

Wolfenstein II - really dropped the ball gameplay wise. Everything about that game screams that it should be played like Doom, but that style of gameplay simply doesn't work on most difficulties and doesn't feel good on lower difficulties. It seems like they didn't know what kind of gameplay to go for and ended up with a hybrid that doesn't feel good for anything.

Breath of the Wild - This game just felt very average to me. The first couple of hours were great, but after that many of the, in my opinion, poor design choices started wearing me down. The terrible dungeons and bosses didn't help either.

adamkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving all the Injustice 2 shout-outs in these lists. Seems like the site quickly forgot about the game when Tekken came out not long after, but I thought it was fantastic. As someone who's not really a fighting game kind of guy, I never feel like I'll hold my own fighting online against so many more experienced players with more time to put in to the game, but Injustice was so generous with the single player stuff, it really was great.

And to the one other person listing Death of the Outsider: YES, friend. Yes. I've got an almost irrational level of love for every one of the Dishonored games. Wish more people shared it.

PlinyTheWelder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horizon zero dawn

Dead cells

Nier

Prey

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Hollow Knight
  2. Cuphead
HaniHani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By HaniHani

I didn't buy that many games made this year, because I am a despicable cheapskate who buys most games on sale. But I did spend a lot of time clearing my backlog. Bloodborne, The Silver Case and Halo 2 Anniversary are better than many games on my list, but even so, 2017 has been a fantastic year for games. PUBG and Cuphead are missing from the list for two very irrational reasons. Steam says that I played PUBG for 30 hours, but I still feel like I haven't tried to learn the game's systems. Cuphead is beautiful, but the third world made me lose all enjoyment I had with the game. Thanks Cuphead for turning me into a whiny bitch. Which I definitely wasn't before, no Sir.

1. Nioh: There has never been a better battle system in a game. The game forces you very naturally to pay attention to your surroundings, positioning and how you manage your stamina. This allowed me to reach new levels of focus and awareness that I didn't realize existing in me. After Nioh, I beat Bloodborne, and Bloodborne felt imprecise and easy in comparison (both 5-star games). After the PS2-era, I was sure that I wouldn't find any more games as mindblowing as Killer 7, Katamari Damacy or Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne. Nioh opened my eyes.

2. Yakuza 0: The funniest game of the year. Easily. I had the time of my life doing everything in the game. Yes, even Mahjong can be exhilarating. You would think that a 100-hour game would get boring at some point, but Yakuza 0 keeps winking at you and saying: "Let's have some fun."

3. Nier: Automata: The world, plot and music are real amazing. The combat is kind of easy (at least with the correct abilities), but still very enjoyable. A lot of care was put into creating this unique experience. Are games supposed to make you feel sad? Because I was a very sad boy while playing Nier and loved every second of it.

4. Detention: Detention reminds me of Silent Hill 2. The horror is on the forefront, but what got to me were the deeply personal stories of people caught in desperate situations.

5. Steamworld Dig 2: This game does progression real good! It is a pleasure to explore the world, and by the end of it, it feels like a different game entirely.

6. Horizon Zero Dawn: Surprisingly interesting story. It was fun to do 100% of the game. The enemies felt always very menacing, and even at max level, I always said to myself: "Holy shit! That is a Snapmaw!" after seeing one.

7. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus: This game had some amazing moments and characters, but the gameplay was kind of ehhhh.

8. Ruiner: This game looks, sounds and feels incredible. More than Cuphead, even. You really feel like a machine pumping death when you play this game. I want to go to Rengkok city and bathe in its filth.

9. High Hell: This game was short, but I really enjoyed it. I laughed several times at its stupid jokes.

10. Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue: Really enjoyable metroidvania. Better than many commercial products even.

kuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From this year only, right?

So, here's my list:

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I may play NIght in the Woods before end of the year, so this list may dramatically change!

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
  2. What Remains of Edith Finch
  3. West of Loathing
  4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  5. Tokyo 42
  6. Gorogoa
  7. Gang Beasts
  8. Nidhogg II
  9. Cuphead
  10. Slime Rancher

I'm only sure of top 3, the rest I could mix in any order. Actually, Edith could be on top... no! NO!!! I'm done