Prices of older consoles in the future

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whackmypinata

Is it worth it to collect consoles and try to sell them off later? For example, in 50 years, how much do you think you could sell a working NES for?
I'm not only intending to look that far into the future, however. After watching some LittleBigPlanet videos, I'm definitely intrigued to say the least. Do you think the PS3 will, by the time of the next PS, be down to the current price of the PS2? The hardware is much more advanced, so how long do you think it will take for current gen consoles to get past the hundred dollar pricepoint ? (Used, of course)

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The PS3's lifespan is expected (by Sony, at least) to be 7-8 years. Around 7 years, I guess. I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By shotaro

I think that eventually the consoles will go up in value but it will not be for a looooooong time. the NES is still depreciating because there are so many working examples that they are not "rare" id say another 15-20 years before the value goes up at all and then it won't be by much - 40-50 years before they become something of real value.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By godzilla_sushi

The more popular gaming gets, the less valuable things like that are. 50 years from now Battle Fantasia will probably be worth more than a PS3.

It's rare for that stuff to carry any value without it being distinct in some way. Like, say, a pink console from 1992 or something where only 5 exist. It's like a new car, once you drive it off, it loses it's value. If your going to collect, go backwards, not forwards. Or ask Jeff on the Bombcast, cause he's got old games, probably ones he purchased.

Anyone want to disagree with me? Cause I got some games you never heard of man!!!!!

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

The value needs to go down hugely before it goes up minimally. That, and rebrands, rereleases and backwards compatibility have largely made gaming on old consoles more of a novelty experience then anything.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By brukaoru
Do you think the PS3 will, by the time of the next PS, be down to the current price of the PS2?

I think it will be lower in price, and I can see at being around $200 about the same time of the next PlayStation's release.
whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By whackmypinata
Why are games like Pikmin 2 rare? The Pikmin franchise was a great success, or at least it seems like it. Anyone know how it sold? For a while Pikmin 2 they would go for $50 on eBay..

brukaoru
said:
"
Do you think the PS3 will, by the time of the next PS, be down to the current price of the PS2?

I think it will be lower in price, and I can see at being around $200 about the same time of the next PlayStation's release."
Ah! But that is significantly more than the current PlayStation last gen console.
Why?

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MisterSpiffy
whackmypinata said:
"Why are games like Pikmin 2 rare? The Pikmin franchise was a great success, or at least it seems like it. Anyone know how it sold? For a while Pikmin 2 they would go for $50 on eBay..

brukaoru
said:
"

I think it will be lower in price, and I can see at being around $200 about the same time of the next PlayStation's release."
Ah! But that is significantly more than the current PlayStation last gen console.
Why?

"
I'm guessing better tech/hardware.  It's still pretty good, though.  You'll have a huge backlog of games to keep you busy if you decided to buy a PS3 that far in to their lifespan.
whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By whackmypinata
MisterSpiffy said:
I'm guessing better tech/hardware.  It's still pretty good, though.  You'll have a huge backlog of games to keep you busy if you decided to buy a PS3 that far in to their lifespan."
That's a good point. I'm definitely thinking about getting one in a few years..

Also, do you guys think that the future parent population will play games with their kids much more commonly than today 's parents? Some people think games are evil, because they didn't grow up with them. What do you guys think?
whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By whackmypinata
Levio91 said:
"emulators"
Do you read? This topic has nothing to do with emulators in any form, I'm asking the value of consoles in the future. Plus, I only emulate games I own.
MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MisterSpiffy
whackmypinata said:
"MisterSpiffy said:
I'm guessing better tech/hardware.  It's still pretty good, though.  You'll have a huge backlog of games to keep you busy if you decided to buy a PS3 that far in to their lifespan."
That's a good point. I'm definitely thinking about getting one in a few years..

Also, do you guys think that the future parent population will play games with their kids much more commonly than today 's parents? Some people think games are evil, because they didn't grow up with them. What do you guys think?"
That's actually a good topic to discuss.  Make another topic as I'm sure lots of people would like to talk about it!