PS3 The Cinematic Console, Xbox 360 The Fun Console? (No wars)

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Captain_Insano

I am not including the Wii in this nor am I trying to troll or start a flame war between console fanboys so please don't let it degenerate into that.

I will state my facts/situation clearly. 'Back in the day' I had an N64 and Ps1. While I liked the Ps1, the N64 was my favourite console (and still is). Then came the Gamecube and PS2. I sold my Gamecube...
This gen I went Xbox 360 first, despite the fact that I HATED the original Xbox, the 360 seemed awesome and was more affordable than the PS3. I have played my mates PS3 a fair bit and have now just recently gotten one for Christmas which I am using and enjoying.

However, and it may just be due to my personal situation but when I think 'games console' my mind leaps to the 360. This is not because of the games necessarily on it but because of the 360s presentation, the NXE, the avatars, Xbox Live and basically the whole 'vibe' of the 360. The XBLA marketplace is also structured in a way I prefer to PS Store. I also prefer the controller. I think that when multiplatforms come along, 360 will always be my choice (also it is in my 'game room' not the lounge room)

Whereas the PS3 is my 'Cinematic console'. It performs the awesome Blu-ray function, the exclusive games on it seem to have a huge cinematic focus (Uncharted 2, crazy graphics, MGS4, I know 360 has Mass Effect but the cinematics don't compare and I say this as someone who loved Mass Effect). 

Even the boot up for a PS3 gives that more 'sophisticated, cinematic' feel with the Orchestra tuning sound.

Now I am not saying that one or the other is 'better'. They are just different and I personally feel that the 360 will remain my console of choice for most games, but the PS3 has a lot of other things to offer. The reason for this thread is this:

1) If you have both consoles how do you feel about the points I've raised?

2) In any case, will there be room for the next iterations of these 2 consoles in the future, or will one triumph over the other?

Cheers and Merry Christmas

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By crystalskull2

Every console is a fun console.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane

I hated the original xbox as well, but the 360 really lives up to it's name, not a piece of crap. 
However, i'll always prefer the ps3 for multi platform games, mostly, maybe a few exceptions, cause i'm more comfortable with the controller. 
Really dislike the dome shaped buttons on the 360, and trigger buttons. 
I do agree though, the 360 seems more like a fun thing, whereas the ps3 is very much cinematic and storyline. Most of the games i'd want on ps3 are single player stuffs, whereas the 360 is the fun stuff with multiplayer and co-op and stuff. 
Wii is a party console more than anything else.
DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By DJJoeJoe

one could use many console exclusive games as an example to support this idea. GT5 vs Forza 3 for example, or Heavy Rain vs Conviction. Most of the 360 exclusives seem to be more about the simple fps mentality, simple and just fun. The ps3 has more exclusives that definitely are obviously still fun but they do the whole story thing more. 

Though you could say Mass Effect is story driven, but it's sequel is very combat intensive its looking like and more Gears functional.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Saieno

I think it's a matter of quality over quantity for me. I perfer my PS3 because of the quality of the titles exclusive to the system. 360's titles, while fun, just lack the depth or quality I'm looking for in a game. For 3rd party games I might buy for the 360, but then again I actually prefer the PS3 controller to the 360 controller. To each their own.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Drebin_893

Great.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Wii : the earning console.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By dbz1995

in b4 '360 IZ 4 N00BZ LOLOLOLOLOL'

That seems to be a bit too general. PS3 have a fair few games aiming towards being less cinematic and more fun, like LittleBigPlanet, and the forthcoming ModNation Racers, which I did not get a beta key for. On the other hand, the 360 has games like Mass Effect which are cinematic.

I just don't think it's a fair thing to say. It's almost racist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Hm, you put (no wars) in the title, yet the use of the term "triumph" in your closing remark betrays your own desire to have a "winner". This raises some questions: How do you define "triumph" in that context, what does it entail? More sales? More fans? More games? And ultimately: What does it matter?

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kenjisalk

I think it just boils down to different approaches to first and second party titles, to be quite honest.  Sony's take on internal development seems a bit more varied in the kinds of games they publish, with games like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, inFAMOUS, Killzone, Socom, LBP, Gran Turismo, it seems to me that they have a wider selection of styles of games under their dev umbrella than Microsoft's first party efforts.

That's not to say that Microsoft hasn't released some stellar first party titles, it just seems like the past couple of years, they're less abundant in comparison.  Most of the big releases on the 360 as of late have been third party titles, which makes the system a bit less enticing at the moment.  I had solely a 360, though, from 2006 to 2008, and during that time period, I did not want for a PS3.

2008-2009 however, the PS3 became a utterly viable platform, and finally a console I could recommend to people.

As of now, I feel like they're on more or less equal footing, with a fair amount of pros and cons on both sides.  It really just boils down to personal taste in their respective game libraries, which are both very respectable (especially considering majority of game releases from third parties are cross platform).  

If I had to pick, I'd probably lean towards PS3, because a lot of my favorite games from the last couple of years have been PS3 exclusives, but I still have a blast with games like Gears of War, Fable, Shadow Complex etc.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentofChaos
@crystalskull2 said:
" Every console is a fun console. "
I agree. Every console brings something to the table to attract a certain type of person.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By beargirl1
@dbz1995 said:   
I just don't think it's a fair thing to say. It's almost racist. "
you really make me laugh, hehe. 
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fripplebubby

I think the type of console it is depends on what you play on it. If you just play cinematic, story-driven games an an Xbox, there you go. If you play 7 hours of Little Big Planet on the ps3 a day, there you go. Both consoles seem to be trying to offer everything to everyone.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Afroman269
@AgentofChaos said:
" @crystalskull2 said:
I agree. Every console brings something to the table to attract a certain type of person. "
this
Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Both consoles offer more or less the same thing. I don't understand this at all.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By r0k1ll

Personally, I only buy exclusives for my ps3, since all my friends are on my 360. Plus I like my achievements.

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By adziboy

I dunno really. Cinematic can be fun. I find cinematic to be fun - so actually, both consoles are fun? 

And sure, this is your opinion, but you can't ask the gaming community to actually give these names out. Fun and Cinematic are two very different things, and one thing can be both.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karmum

How about each console is a video game console?

Joker_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Joker_777

Its not the console its the game.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BestUsernameEver

title is absolutely right.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@Joker_777 said:
" Its not the console its the game. "
what about the exclusives. Then it's a legitimate point.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MeierTheRed

I play games and videos on both consoles so this is BS.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By RobotHamster

I have both and I love both, but at the end of the day my personal favorite is the PS3.  I think there both fun consoles and what makes them fun are the games.  I personally don't gimmicks like the avatars on the 360 or anywhere else and think their just a waste of time, but there intended for a different audience and thats fine with me.  The 360 has games I love like gears, mass effect, and the now exclusive splinter cell, but the ps3 has far more of my favorite games and franchises of all time, like god of war, ratchet, sly, jak, team ico's games, mgs, kingdom hearts, my favorite current game uncharted 2 and some more.  The 360 has a better online, but for 50 bucks a year I'm considering if I should renew it next year.  The ps3 is free (until they start those premium memberships) and isn't perfect but is pretty solid, uncharted has been virtually lag free since day one, and the psn store is getting better and better.  Now, I'm not trying to bash on the 360, I play it just as much, but I'm just stating why the ps3 is my go to console.  i own both so I get the best of both worlds, but when people ask which is my favorite console I tell them that its the games that does it for me and the ps3 has more of my favorite franchises.

Avatar image for generalmojo_786
GeneralMojo_786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GeneralMojo_786

I disagree completly!
Sackboy luaghs at your post TC! lolololxD

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Demyx

Ratchet and Clank is on PS3, so thats the first system I buy. But the 360 has some good games too. Although when I get an even better PC I'll probably just stick with PC and PS3.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Emilio

PS3, video game console that also plays movies. 
 360, video game console that also plays movies.

klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By klownboots
@Demyx said:
" Ratchet and Clank is on PS3, so thats the first system I buy. But the 360 has some good games too. Although when I get an even better PC I'll probably just stick with PC and PS3. "
This has been my stance since the beginning.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By trophyhunter

Cinematic stuff is fun too 

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pinkshley1

PC is both. Nah, just joking! Anyway, I wanted to buy a PS3, but all my friends/achievements are on 360, so it would seem pointless to start over.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bubahula
@Afroman269 said:
" @AgentofChaos said:
" @crystalskull2 said:
I agree. Every console brings something to the table to attract a certain type of person. "
this "
misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By misterpope

Multiplatforms are just that: Multiplatform. You seem to be only comparing the exclusives here.  

I think that comparisons of the 2 consoles are dumb anyways.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xyzygy

I wouldn't necessarily say that, because most multiplatform games look better on the 360. The few PS3 Exclusives that ARE cinematic however, can help it earn that title. I guess the PS3 just needs more of those types of games (All I can think of it Uncharted 2 and MGS4 for cinematic games that can only be done on PS3). Two games in over 3 years is pretty bad, but maybe now more will start coming out which are more cinematic.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@trophyhunter said:
" Cinematic stuff is fun too  "
yes, like uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 were the most epic, and most fun games this year.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

" I wouldn't necessarily say that, because most multiplatform games look better on the 360."

There is only a handful of games where you can see any difference at all, and even then it's mostly vague nitpicking with people struggling to submit hard evidence for their claims. What happened in the recent case of Bayonetta is clearly a glitch and /or blatant incompetence and not in any way related to the affected console.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mushir
@Emilio said:
" PS3, video game console that also plays movies.  360, video game console that also plays movies. "
But PS3 can play Blu-Ray discs! Now what bitch?
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I'd say this. It's a stretch, but maybe someone will agree. 

PS3: Video game console made by Sony. 
Xbox 360: Video game console made my Microsoft. 
Wii: Video game console made by Nintendo. 

I'll let you clean up the brain matter that resulted from your totally blown mind. 

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gruff182

You may be onto something.

'Cinematic' and 'Fun' are wrong comparisons though. Interms of the vibe and feel of the consoles, the PS3 to me seems more 'Sophisticated' interms of the UI of the XMB and the tone of the exclusives.

I think, to me, the 360 is more 'gamer-esque'. With its brighter UI and light hearted Avatars and seems to attract more dumb-fun games like Gears and Halo or atleast the audience does.

Either way, both consoles are fun.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Emilio
@Twilight said:

" @Emilio said:

" PS3, video game console that also plays movies.  360, video game console that also plays movies. "
But PS3 can play Blu-Ray discs! Now what bitch? "
PS3, video game console that also plays movies.   
360, video game console that also plays movies.    
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

i guess u can say that. they are both fun consoles.  i did buy my ps3 because of bluray. i had xbox 360 first. ps3 was expensive when i bought it. it was because of the bluray drive that made it expensive $600.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By JJOR64
@crystalskull2 said:
True that.  And every handheld as well.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Captain_Insano
@Gruff182 said:
" You may be onto something.   'Cinematic' and 'Fun' are wrong comparisons though. Interms of the vibe and feel of the consoles, the PS3 to me seems more 'Sophisticated' interms of the UI of the XMB and the tone of the exclusives.  I think, to me, the 360 is more 'gamer-esque'. With its brighter UI and light hearted Avatars and seems to attract more dumb-fun games like Gears and Halo or atleast the audience does.  Either way, both consoles are fun. "
Yea the terms I have used are not the be all and end all, just the only things I could think of to describe the vibe of the consoles.

I find both really fun but I was more about how the consoles present themselves
Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pepsicolaboy

Pretty much agree. I have to admit that while I prefer my PS3 (for a variety of reasons), the 360 has been an immense source of fun thanks to the excellent range of co-op games.
Both have strengths and yeah, while the PS3 feels a little more sophisticated to me, the 360's strengths harken back to the days of the N64 for me.
Great post.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Manatassi

The PS3 does present itself as a multimedia device a little more traditionally. Clearly with Sony's experience in the home theatre sector coming through in the presentation of the PS3, so I can see where you are coming from. The 360's roots can be seen in Microsoft's Software origins with much more vibrant colours and extra trimmings like the Avatars feeling allot more like its PC origins with things like Twitter and Facebook seeming like a natural fit into its IM social networking origins.  

Personally the controller is the deciding factor especially as I find the 360 controller much more comfortable with the FPS genre which is one of my Favourites. That and the 360 seems a bit more of a community to me with things like Live, Arcade Wednesdays and Indie Games just having that feel of constantly evolving. The PS3 feels more "stylish" I feel like the PS3 is a private gaming experience for me, theres something a bit more no nonsense about the presentation. The PS3 has a formality and coherence in a way that the 360 has its constantly evolving social chaos draging it in a completely different direction.  

Its nice. I have more of a cozy relationship with my 360 where as my PS3 feels elegant and more sophisticated in a way. Its like the difference between a great big Pizza and my favourite soft drink sitting on the sofa watching an action movie and going out to dinner at a fancy italian restaurant drinking fine wine and talking politics. I enjoy both experiences, the 360 and PS3 provide me with just as different an experience as those two meals but I love them both. Even if I do tend to eat Pizza more often than Tagliatelle.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SadPatrol

I feel more at home playing my 360 than my ps3. The best way I can describe my expirience with both consoles is to think about them like two amusement parks. One park (360) has many rides and the entire park is filled with hundreds of people who are enjoying the rides with you. But the second park (ps3) has even better rides but you are there all by yourself.  
What I am trying to imply is that I get a sense of lonelyness when I play on my ps3. No one has a mic, no famous rock star is playing modern warfare, and everyone has the same avatar. It's like playing with bots. THIS IS ALSO THE REASON LEFT 4 DEAD WOULD BE TERRIBLE ON PS3.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Alphiehyr

I never understood the concept of "console wars" or this so-called "fanboyism". 360's simply the outdated version in comparison with PS3.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Manatassi
@Alphiehyr said:
" I never understood the concept of "console wars" or this so-called "fanboyism". 360's simply the outdated version in comparison with PS3. "
Interesting you state that you cant understand the console wars and fanboyism in your first sentence and in your second sentence manage to come off like a complete tit of a fanboy trying to start a console war. Quite the accomplishment.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Captain_Insano
@Manatassi said:
" The PS3 does present itself as a multimedia device a little more traditionally. Clearly with Sony's experience in the home theatre sector coming through in the presentation of the PS3, so I can see where you are coming from. The 360's roots can be seen in Microsoft's Software origins with much more vibrant colours and extra trimmings like the Avatars feeling allot more like its PC origins with things like Twitter and Facebook seeming like a natural fit into its IM social networking origins.   Personally the controller is the deciding factor especially as I find the 360 controller much more comfortable with the FPS genre which is one of my Favourites. That and the 360 seems a bit more of a community to me with things like Live, Arcade Wednesdays and Indie Games just having that feel of constantly evolving. The PS3 feels more "stylish" I feel like the PS3 is a private gaming experience for me, theres something a bit more no nonsense about the presentation. The PS3 has a formality and coherence in a way that the 360 has its constantly evolving social chaos draging it in a completely different direction.   Its nice. I have more of a cozy relationship with my 360 where as my PS3 feels elegant and more sophisticated in a way. Its like the difference between a great big Pizza and my favourite soft drink sitting on the sofa watching an action movie and going out to dinner at a fancy italian restaurant drinking fine wine and talking politics. I enjoy both experiences, the 360 and PS3 provide me with just as different an experience as those two meals but I love them both. Even if I do tend to eat Pizza more often than Tagliatelle. "
good analogy, really hammers home the point that I was trying to make. Interesting to see that other people feel the same way
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By Meowayne

At this point there is really no noteworthy difference between the two console's libraries in terms of mood, focus and genre.