PS3 Trophy Support

4thVariety

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 4thVariety

It's quite sometime until I last read something on the forum, or heard something on the Bombcast about it. Is PS3 Trophy support happening anytime during the PS3 10-year life cycle? Is Sony to blame for being pricks about their data? Is it a programming issue? Should I simply give up on being able to browse my Trophies in a decent way? Will I be stuck with Sony's crappy trophy tools forever?

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I think they said it was something on Sony's part.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive
@NoXious said:
" Sony is being a dick, as always. Pray they create an API that'll allow users to pull Trophy data, otherwise you're screwed on the support. "
nah i wouldnt say they are being a dick, i think they are in the process of redoing everything so that it works like 360's profiles work, and ya know, being that it doesn't get millions of dollars from its gamers, its understandable that it takes time. if sony was getting $50 from every single ps3 user who plays online, these sort of things wouldn't be an issue. 
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zeforgotten

"  Sony dropped support for outside sites to host trophy data. Unfortunately we've had to remove the feature as a result." -Dave

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SamStrife
@NoXious:   They aren't being dicks at all, they just aren't sharing their API with 3rd parties.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail

Yeah, it's Sony being pricks.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb

It's weird though. There's that third-party iPhone app that grabs ALL your trophy data, plus live-updates of what your friends are playing and their live-trophy tally.

Likewise, there are thrid-party trophy applications on the 'net. I'm not sure how said applications are working when GB is not.

Having said that though, it's pretty clear Sony are not being as forthright with trophy data as others, and I would love to see them blow that open for developers such as the people here at GiantBomb. It is, indeed, a shame.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NoXious
@get2sammyb:
Could be that those applications aren't using an API but more of a feed?
Or do they actually give you a per game overview of what trophies and when etc. ?
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jadeskye

Giantbomb actually wrote the code and implemented trophy support but very quickly recieved a cease and desist from sony and they had to take it down. 

If i had to guess i'd say sony has some kind of service coming for it. maybe they're gonna implement it into their pay service? 

honestly i don't have a clue.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@jadeskye said:
" Giantbomb actually wrote the code and implemented trophy support but very quickly recieved a cease and desist from sony and they had to take it down.  If i had to guess i'd say sony has some kind of service coming for it. maybe they're gonna implement it into their pay service?  honestly i don't have a clue. "
I would never pay for PS3 online. And isnt the pay thing a rumor still? 
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By trophyhunter
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jadeskye said:
" Giantbomb actually wrote the code and implemented trophy support but very quickly recieved a cease and desist from sony and they had to take it down.  If i had to guess i'd say sony has some kind of service coming for it. maybe they're gonna implement it into their pay service?  honestly i don't have a clue. "
I would never pay for PS3 online. And isnt the pay thing a rumor still?  "
no it's happening but it's not pay us to play online it's something else
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@trophyhunter said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jadeskye said:
no it's happening but it's not pay us to play online it's something else "
Can you get me a link so I can read up? 
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By get2sammyb
@NoXious: The iTrophies app on iPhone gives you a feed of everything. All your trophies, when you unlocked them, how many you need per game, descriptions, etc. Like I say, it even lets you see your friends status, whether they're online or not, and how many trophies they've earned. It can also rank your friends list via Trophy Level and total Trophies, and I'm certain it's 100% unofficial.

I concede though, that any web-based "Trophy Cards" I've seen (non-official ones) just show a number and a recently played.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By get2sammyb
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jadeskye said:
I suspect it'll be announced at E3 this year. In all probability, what will probably happen is the "free tier" will stay the same as it currently is, with a "premium tier" offering extended "fan" service -- such as a much more detailed trophy card, voice-over-IP-cross-game-chat-lark, free movie rentals, Qore subscription, etc. That's what I imagine they're going to do. I don't think it'll be like an XBOX Live Gold thing where you absolutely need it regardless of what type of player you are. I think it'll be more for the people who play PS3 everyday.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@get2sammyb said:
" @NoXious: The iTrophies app on iPhone gives you a feed of everything. All your trophies, when you unlocked them, how many you need per game, descriptions, etc. Like I say, it even lets you see your friends status, whether they're online or not, and how many trophies they've earned. It can also rank your friends list via Trophy Level and total Trophies, and I'm certain it's 100% unofficial.  I concede though, that any web-based "Trophy Cards" I've seen (non-official ones) just show a number and a recently played. "
I just found one for the droid as well. 
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jadeskye

that makes sense. would also explain why they're keeping it off websites, protecting their code for licensing purposes.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By trophyhunter
@get2sammyb said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jadeskye said:
I suspect it'll be announced at E3 this year. In all probability, what will probably happen is the "free tier" will stay the same as it currently is, with a "premium tier" offering extended "fan" service -- such as a much more detailed trophy card, voice-over-IP-cross-game-chat-lark, free movie rentals, Qore subscription, etc. That's what I imagine they're going to do. I don't think it'll be like an XBOX Live Gold thing where you absolutely need it regardless of what type of player you are. I think it'll be more for the people who play PS3 everyday. "
I would actually go for a plan that lets you pay a monthly fee and then you get to download all PSone classics for free 
that and if they added like 100 more PSone classics and I'd be doublely on board if they added PS2 classics
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

there are alot of sites that can pull data from the Trophy API gametrailers can do it, sony is actively not letting giantbomb pull the information.  Giantbomb had it, it worked then it stopped working cause Sony stopped it from working.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jadeskye
@trophyhunter said: 

I would actually go for a plan that lets you pay a monthly fee and then you get to download all PSone classics for free  that and if they added like 100 more PSone classics and I'd be doublely on board if they added PS2 classics "

Thats dreaming my friend. I'm pretty sure that won't ever happen. represents too much of a capital loss to have that much IP available by unlimited amounts for a subscription. 

AKA, Sony want as much money as possible from their old IP. And they should, they're a business.
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mmmslash
@trophyhunter:  iirc, there isn't PS2 classics on the PSN store because PS2 play on the PS3 is wonky. best case scenario was that one of the original models (60gb? 40gb? One of them) had hardware emulation, it could basically play any PS2 game you through at it. Later consoles supported PS2 software emulation, so about half of the games played well.

the slim doesn't support ANY form of PS2 emulation, and can't play a damn thing.

Afaik, PS1 emulation is all software based, and is possible because the PS1 wasn't much in the way of resources, compared to today.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By trophyhunter
@Mmmslash said:
" @trophyhunter:  iirc, there isn't PS2 classics on the PSN store because PS2 play on the PS3 is wonky. best case scenario was that one of the original models (60gb? 40gb? One of them) had hardware emulation, it could basically play any PS2 game you through at it. Later consoles supported PS2 software emulation, so about half of the games played well.  the slim doesn't support ANY form of PS2 emulation, and can't play a damn thing.  Afaik, PS1 emulation is all software based, and is possible because the PS1 wasn't much in the way of resources, compared to today. "
I already know and don't care about that. 
I'm just saying it would be awesome to have every single PS2 Atlus game on my hard drive
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iam3green

i wish there was trophy support here. sony didn't want to release the information to other 3rd party sites.