• 54 results
#1 Posted by Wampa1 (625 posts) -

Currently a sale on the EU PSN Final Fantasy V through IX are on sale for £3.99 each. I've decided to get two, never played any before so what's good for a new player?

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

I'd say go with Viii and IX

#3 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

all of them except V.

VI and VII are wayyy too easy for me to recommend here.

#4 Posted by Petiew (1321 posts) -

VI and IX are my favourites, but they are all decent games. Give the plot characters and gameplay systems a look online and make a choice from there since this thread will most likely erupt into a shitstorm soon.

#5 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

Get 6 since it's the best one IMO.

#6 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Skip 8

#7 Posted by GunstarRed (4992 posts) -

IX It's my personal favourite FF game.

#8 Posted by Pr1mus (3772 posts) -

6 and 9

#9 Posted by championfetus (244 posts) -

Get IX no matter what. It hearkens back to the fantasy setting and turn based battle system of the series origins.

It was the first FF I played and will always be my favorite game in the series.

Also, Chocobo hot & cold game. KWEHHH bro, KWEH.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (21202 posts) -

I personally found VI really hard to get into (after playing it for the first time this year) and gave up after a couple of hours, so since you haven't played any before perhaps that might not be the best suggestion. IX is possibly the most accessible, plus it's a class FF game all on its own.

#11 Posted by Wesker411 (75 posts) -

Of course a week after I bought VIII they go on sale. VIII was the last FF that I've never played. After a week in I still say V and VI are miles above the rest.

#12 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

I would recommend IX it holds up really well

#13 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -
Front cover of Chrono Trigger (US) for SNES

A fucking super nintendo and final fantasy 6 and chrono trigger you know before final fantasy and sqauresoft went to crap after it came on the playstation.

Front cover of Final Fantasy III (US) for SNES
#14 Posted by BoG (5180 posts) -

Well, really... you should buy all of them. If you must only buy two, I would go for VI and IX. If you don't like sprites, get VIII instead of VI.

#15 Edited by Bane122 (783 posts) -

VI is one of the best but you should know that it's based off of the PS1 version which had some slowdown. It's not as bad as, say, Chrono Trigger, but it's a less-than-optimal presentation of the game.

I'd also say VII or IX would be good, too. I personally like VIII but it's pretty polarizing. Maybe pick one of the others then decide if you want another game with similar systems or something a bit different.

#16 Posted by Wampa1 (625 posts) -

@BoG: Don't tempt me to get them all! I should say I was considering 6 and 7. I know seven get's a lot of hate now but it seems like a benchmark in someway's that I missed out on at the time.

#17 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Do the pre PSone games have load times like Crono Trigger?

#18 Posted by Wampa1 (625 posts) -

@Bane122: Why should I trust you, you sell drugs to the community!

#19 Posted by Zelyre (1101 posts) -

Since you are a FF virgin, I'd say 6 and 7.

Play 6 first.

Then play 7.

Report back as to which one you liked better.

You, and only you can finally put the debate as to which FF is the better one aside.

#20 Posted by believer258 (11557 posts) -

@algertman said:

Do the pre PSone games have load times like Crono Trigger?

The SNES and NES Final Fantasies should have little to no load times at all since they were on cartridges and not discs; same goes for Chrono Trigger. Get the DS or SNES versions of those.

#21 Posted by Bakumatsu (352 posts) -

Choose what you want. If you never played FFVII, give it a try, specially if you never played it before.. It's a great game that still holds up, despite what people keep saying about it now (damn haters). Besides that, IV, VI or VIII are good choices too.

#22 Posted by evanomeara (79 posts) -

I would say get 9, best game in my opinion, other than that I would say 6 or 7 depending if you are more interested in 16 bit game or ps era games (graphics wise) for me 6 is better but people do love themselves some 7

#23 Posted by Kidavenger (3484 posts) -
#24 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

Go with either VI or IX. Both are exceptionally well made games.

#25 Posted by Asian2Go (179 posts) -

Hmm, this seems like a great sale. Too bad it's not available on the US PSN store. Anyone know if I can create an EU PSN account and snag em?

#26 Edited by killacam (1284 posts) -

@Wampa1 said:

@BoG: Don't tempt me to get them all! I should say I was considering 6 and 7. I know seven get's a lot of hate now but it seems like a benchmark in someway's that I missed out on at the time.

VII has hate because it has so much love.. love to give, love received. it's just the way the world balances itself. but i'm telling you, there's a reason VII is loved!

#27 Posted by BoG (5180 posts) -

@Wampa1: VII gets a lot of hate because it is so popular. That's really it. I suggested other games because, at this point in time, VII is not as accessible as other games. Play it, but don't play it as your first FF. IX and VI are both the most polished FF games of their respective generations, making them better for a newcomer. They also happen to be two of the best games in the series.

#28 Posted by RainbowCarnage (97 posts) -

The only one I wouldn't recommend is VIII. THe magic system is very tedious. And Zell's pants really bug me for some reason.

#29 Posted by Bane122 (783 posts) -

@Wampa1 said:

@Bane122: Why should I trust you, you sell drugs to the community!

We are friends now.

#30 Posted by Thoseposers (773 posts) -

So are these all the best versions of the games? I'm on a final fantasy kick since i'm playing the four heroes of light and want to get more. I'm already planning on getting VI from the wii virtual console because that is closest to the SNES version but for the rest are these fine?

#31 Posted by Enai (173 posts) -

IX was my favourite so I recommend that. It has the best mini game too :)

#32 Posted by xyzygy (9867 posts) -

Get 8. Best of that bunch.

#33 Posted by mwng (919 posts) -

IX gets my vote too. Aaaaaaand VI if you're set on getting 2.

#34 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4603 posts) -

VII and IX. Avoid VIII.

#35 Posted by TheFakePsychic (186 posts) -

V is my personal favorite though I understand it's not for everyone.

So throw another vote on the VI and IX train. (or V and IX, if I was personally buying them.)

#36 Posted by Irvandus (2774 posts) -

9 and 6! But mostly 9.

#37 Posted by Wampa1 (625 posts) -

Ok, screw it I'll pony up the extra few pounds for three games and sacrifice some steam sale money. You're the worst/best GB community.

#38 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Anything but VIII.

#39 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@BoG said:

@Wampa1: VII gets a lot of hate because it is so popular. That's really it. I suggested other games because, at this point in time, VII is not as accessible as other games. Play it, but don't play it as your first FF. IX and VI are both the most polished FF games of their respective generations, making them better for a newcomer. They also happen to be two of the best games in the series.

this post wins.

#40 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@killacam said:

all of them except V.

VI and VII are wayyy too easy for me to recommend here.

Honest question, what is wrong with V? I figured I'd get all the on sale 2D ones but I won't if V is skippable. I never hear anyone mention V.

#41 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

So many good things to say about them all.

V has a pretty great battle system, Leveling up the jobs is probably the best part about the game. Also the battletheme is great. Maybe the most light hearted entry in the series from what I played.

VI is my favorite, it has a large cast, a great villain and all of the party members feel very different during battle. Highly recommended.

VII despite what people say it is a great game though don't let people overhype it, you may want to play some others first because this one is less fantasy than the others. A little more dark. Also the graphics probably held up the least.

VIII i have not played though, but its pretty ok. Probably my least favorite battle system from what i played. Drawing is dumb. I know people love it, but I need to spend more time with it.

IX I played recently and I'd say it still hold up well, the artstyle is stylized enough so things didn't look too wonky for me. The cast is likable and it is a call back to the FF4 days. ViVi is also the best black mage in the series. I really liked his character.

#42 Posted by Meteor_VII (125 posts) -
@killacam: Agreed 

Also VII was my frist but IX is my favorite (hated the combat in 8)
#43 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (674 posts) -

All of these Roman Numerals make my head hurt.

#44 Posted by dcsears (12 posts) -

I'd say to get the flavor of the series and how it played, you should get one 2D one and one 3D one.

Final Fantasy 6 was the crown jewel of the series' 8/16-bit days. The story and the characters are much bigger than anything they had done before. It doesn't hurt that the gameplay is good too (and it doesn't hurt that it's my fave in the series).

Playing Final Fantasy 8 would give you a sense of where the game series is today. The storytelling is much more cinematic and cut-scene heavy and the gameplay's draw system is indicative of how Square likes to experiment with JRPG gameplay these days.

So, that's what I say. 6 & 8.

#45 Posted by Polydeukes (98 posts) -

IX is a must. It's incredibly charming and probably the least polarising out of the 3D FFs.

#46 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

VII and IX. They are the best. VI is good but the game slow down really bad in the middle/end. There are people who don't like VII genuinely and then everyone else who hates it because "boo cloud is emo I've only ever seen commercials for Advent Children". VIII is the only of them that I would actually call bad. The story isn't great, most of the characters aren't developed, the magic/battle system is super grindy.

#47 Posted by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

I'd personally go for 5, 9 and tactics. Not to knock the rest, but if you're going with 3 then I would prioritize those, with tactics>5=9. At least, in my opinion. I'm partial towards the job system.

#48 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

I just want to ask, how are the load times on these? I want to get VI, but I'm worried about how the load times will bog the experience down. I already experienced that with Chrono Trigger. Is it just as bad, or is it more tolerable?

#49 Posted by AuthenticM (3695 posts) -

If you can only get two, buy VIII and IX. VII has not aged very well, graphics or gameplay. But whatever you do, do NOT buy V or VI. They are horrendous ports with incredible loading times.

#50 Posted by Daroki (707 posts) -

I'd probably go with 6 as a definite. 8 If you're feeling a bit experimental and want to drop cash on something you'll either really love or really hate, but won't feel neutral about. 9 is expertly made and a great nostalgia trip within a nostalgia trip at this point in time. 7 if you've never played it gives you some insight on to what all the furor is about and the materia system is top notch. 8's the only one you have a chance of really going wrong with but it's high risk/high reward which at a reduced price is a good time to play with something like that.