(READ FIRST) What should the next Bomb After Reading THING Be?

• 58 results
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll (READ FIRST) What should the next Bomb After Reading THING Be? (153 votes)

Movie/Book Combo 55%
Whatever 53%

Last time NO ONE read the details which were fairly important.

PLEASE READ THIS:

The question is: do we want the next thing to be both a book and a movie, or does that not matter? There were certainly advantages to two mediums.

• 
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Also polls are still completely busted.

drstrawberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's almost impossible for me to abstract my feelings on Sphere (I find both the film and novel to be incredibly tedious and just sort of aggravating (which is kind of my feelings on Micheal Crichton, and the works adapted from his unpleasantly interminable prose, in microcosm)), so, in answer, potentially? It really depends on the quality of the work in question. Like an discussion of two interesting things could compound the potential pleasure derived from such analysis, so, like, as long as the novel and the film transfigured from it are quality, then why not? I'd prefer ignoring awful adaptations, cuz they always eventually regress into pointless criticism of how the film misses the point of the novel, which is just useless. So, like, as to what I'd like to see as the next Bomb After Reading: I'd prefer something that's novel precedent was already exemplary and the film antecedent is equal or higher in quality (the two that immediately spring to my mind are Solaris, an amazing film that's novel form is also interesting, Crash, because I really like the idea of Dan Ryckert talking about fucking in car crashes for 3 hours and change)

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ch3burashka

@mb: Well, fuck. Is there an ETA on when they're up and running again?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder
SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Going by the last UPF I say keep the Crichton train rolling and do Timeline. If you are so inclined you have a book, a movie, and a game to work with.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think the book and movie comparison worked well for the podcast. I'd love to see them do a Philip K Dick book since most of the movies based on his stuff is pretty different.

Also, Dan would probably hate it so that would be entertaining!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigmess said:

I think the book and movie comparison worked well for the podcast. I'd love to see them do a Philip K Dick book since most of the movies based on his stuff is pretty different.

Also, Dan would probably hate it so that would be entertaining!

Speaking of, I'd love to see a Ubik movie. I'm thinking Inception-y.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By sammo21

My suggestions

1. Rainbow Six : Tom Clancy

2. Timeline: Michael Crichton

3. Leviathan Wakes: James S.A. Corey

4. Patient Zero: Jonathan Maberry

5. Jurassic Park: Michael Crichton

6. Ready Player One: Ernest Cline

7. The Quantum Thief: Hannu Rajaniemi

8. I Am Legend: Richard Matheson

9. Hell House: Richard Matheson

10. The Mist: Stephen King

I specifically chose books that are easy to digest but aren't what I would call "fluff". I also didn't suggest any fantasy books since Dan is apparently deathly allergic to those. I think ten of these are fantastic. Even Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six is a great book for those who don't typically like Clancy. Not everything in this list has a movie to go with it, but I really hope that's not the criteria for this potential podcast/club thing. I think that will really limit what good books we could get into.

Edit/Update: I realized I meant to add 10 suggestions but only put down 9. I added The Mist because I think its a pretty great story as well as an interesting film. I also think its a great comparison of how a movie can create a better ending/conclusion than a book can. There's also some great references to other King works in both the book and the film AND this story was one of the inspiration's for Half-Life so there's a slight video game tie-in as well.

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it matters if there is a movie. I didn't rewatch the sphere movie for the podcast even though I haven't seen it for around 15 years and I don't think I missed much.

As for the book, I would like to add another vote for Timeline since that is my favorite Crichton book. Also the movie version is the only movie I have ever seriously considered walking out of. Other than that I would prefer if they stuck with Crichton books since I went through a Ceichton phase in middle school and have almost all of his books already.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's value to throwing a movie in there too, but I don't think it's really necessary either. I wasn't really interested in Sphere, so I skipped this one, but I'd be down if the next book is something I'd like to read.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

My suggestions

2. Timeline: Michael Crichton

3. Leviathan Wakes: James S.A. Corey

4. Patient Zero: Jonathan Maberry

5. Jurassic Park: Michael Crichton

6. Ready Player One: Ernest Cline

7. The Quantum Thief: Hannu Rajaniemi

8. I Am Legend: Richard Matheson

9. Hell House: Richard Matheson

I specifically chose books that are easy to digest but aren't what I would call "fluff". I also didn't suggest any fantasy books since Dan is apparently deathly allergic to those. I think ten of these are fantastic. Even Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six is a great book for those who don't typically like Clancy. Not everything in this list has a movie to go with it, but I really hope that's not the criteria for this potential podcast/club thing. I think that will really limit what good books we could get into.

I've been enthralled by James Corey's Expanse series. They're easy reads, but with huge scope, and yet never get too ridiculous or unbelievable. Also, I hear there's a Syfy series in the works. Maybe it'll be good...?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: Indeed there is, but sadly I have no idea what to think of it. They cast a really young dude to play Holden, which I never pictured him as anything but in his mid to late fourties. They got the person I pictured, when reading, to play Chrisjen and Thomas Jane will play Miller. I just have 0 idea what they plan on doing in terms of story. Going off of how well they adapted The Dresden Files I don't have much faith, but I will still be tuning in to see how it turns out.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Space Jam: A Novelization

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about a Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy movie, TV series and book triple-threat?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sphere seems to have largely been chosen for nostalgic reasons. I imagine the next choice will be similar. If they're actually open to suggestions, I'd recommend Charles Stross' "Glasshouse". It's relatively short, standalone and probably my favorite book (unless we're talking trilogies, duologies or decologies then anything by Peter F. Hamilton or Steven Erikson for sure) of the past decade. It also delves into some more modern sci-fi concepts like singularities and post-humanism. It combines high-concept sci-fi with a socially relevant plot and manages to be very accessible and easy to read. I normally find Stross a bit of a messy writer who has trouble keeping my attention, but this effort is laser-focused and engrossing. Not enough people have read this book. Highly underrated.

Also, I really need to get a subscription. I went and read Sphere (mediocre) and re-watched the movie (terrible) and then couldn't listen to the discussion because it's premium members only...

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like they need to do Timeline, just because Drew has referenced it so much. That seems like something that would work well.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I'd like to see them wrap their minds around Survivor. Or Invisible Monsters.

Yeah, Invisible Monsters.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Timeline the 90 minute game!

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I mean the book and movie combination has Congo sitting right there, it would be stupid not to capitalize on it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Book/movie talk is always interesting.

I want Dan to discuss Harry Potter.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't think they should do another movie/book-comparison. I thought it created a lot of air that goes into some fairly uninteresting minutia that only revolves around people literally saying "this is how they did this plot point in the movie" and then everyone continues talking. If the format is going over the plot and notes as they go, this really just adds a ton of empty space into the podcast. I really think it could've been under three hours with ease had there not been so many moments where the differences between the film and the book were pointed out purely out of interest in... well, pointing it out.

jammar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Another vote for Crash. The only problem is that it's an adult read with themes to match.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By BBAlpert

I don't think it would NEED to be a movie/book combo, but I did enjoy the comparisons in the Sphere podcast.

Although I know it wouldn't happen, I think it'd be neat to hear Drew/Mary/Chris/Dan discuss the Akira comic (and maybe the movie). One of the biggest problems with doing that would be the fact that the comic has a LOT more characters, events, and side-plots, so going into the same amount of detail as they did with Sphere would take forever.

@feathered said:

Space Jam: A Novelization

:o

*edit: I added in an answer to the actual question

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something good this time please? (Or rather, something I think is good. IT'S ALL ABOUT ME).

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jokes about Twilight and Fifty Shades of Gray.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't think they should take suggestions. I think they should do these podcasts whenever they feel the need to talk about a book. Like they said about Sphere. They just wanted to revisit it and talk about it.

So they should just do whatever. Also the podcast was great and I do look forward to any future ones they may do.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

DUNE!

Dune!

What a spectacular book/movie combo! The book is amazing and the movie is such an incredible departure from the source materiL but amazing in its own right.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sammo21 said:

My suggestions

I would love for them to do one of Clancy's books. There are some really obvious choices if they're looking for a book/movie combo, but as you mentioned Rainbow Six would be great if they wanted to go with just a book. I think the Cold War spycraft in The Cardinal of the Kremlin would be right up Drew's alley, and I imagine that Dan would really enjoy Without Remorse.

For a book/movie combo, The Bourne Identity might be a good one because the book and movie are so wildly different.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: Michel Gondry was attatched to directing a Ubik film but I don't think it's going to happen.

That's a hard book to adapt but I think he would have done it justice.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ch3burashka

@bigmess said:

@ch3burashka: Michel Gondry was attatched to directing a Ubik film but I don't think it's going to happen.

That's a hard book to adapt but I think he would have done it justice.

I was trying to think of what director I would want for it, and the closest I got was Nolan and how he did Inception. Michel Gondry would have been fucking insane.

Similarly, Luc Besson could at least make it look crazy.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

American Gods .. because I'm reading that now.

Not crazy about the idea of another movie/book combo. Do a movie podcast or do a book podcast. Or both.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope we get a new book to read along with soon! Really enjoyed Bomb After Reading.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Movie book combo as I can watch the movie and at least get a little idea of what they are talking about, what I did with Sphere.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read Hell House for the 5th time. I think that's the best "Haunted house" book I've ever read. The original film is also on Netflix, so I'm gonna watch that again. I hope they go for that one, but I'm sure they won't. I have a feeling they might do another Crichton book, maybe Jurassic Park with Jurassic World coming around the corner.

Richard Matheson is such an amazing author. Still ticked they bastardized I Am Legend with that crap Will Smith film...

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the book/movie combo a lot.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not Metro 2033? There's a book/game combo!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

we should read that neuromancer book that jeff talked about on one of the podcasts. I'd like a reason to read that.

InternetJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By InternetJames
@shindig said:

How about a Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy movie, TV series and book triple-threat?

Hahaha, as much as I love the BBC TV series are you sure they would make it through all seven parts?

@spraynardtatum said:

we should read that neuromancer book that jeff talked about on one of the podcasts. I'd like a reason to read that.

Same. Seems like a logic next step.

Or maybe a Murakami novel? Start the crew down a really dangerous path.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'd rather let them decide what they want to do.

Reading a book, watching a movie and then talking about it for hours is something that only really works when everyones on board for the title.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

I'd like to see Dan Ryckert read and talk about Twilight

PoorTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By PoorTommy

Starship Troopers is the ideal book/movie podcast.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read it. It is the definition of cyberpunk and just short of Blade Runner is the most influential thing in that genre.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Aegon

I would suggest some Fantasy books, but I doubt anyone but Brad (maybe) would be receptive to that idea. Although Dan read Game of Thrones so who knows.

Edit: Oh shit! I thought of a great idea (says me). What if they read all the Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock stories and have a podcast for each of the modern BBC Sherlock episodes? One story one episode. It fits really well.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ripelivejam
No Caption Provided

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they are planning on continuing down the the "books with great ideas but little literary merit" path, as with "Sphere", then I support the vote for Neuromancer.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#50 fisk0  Moderator

@humanity said:

DUNE!

Dune!

What a spectacular book/movie combo! The book is amazing and the movie is such an incredible departure from the source materiL but amazing in its own right.

Don't forget the two TV shows! They were kinda alright, even though they were crippled by poor early 00's low budget CGI and cheap actors. I still enjoy rewatching them every now and then.