Review Events and their Impact on the Industry

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

In previous blogs I've asked you, the people of Giant Bomb, if you thought professional reviews are "just opinions" and whether or not they are preferable to community reviews (jury's still out on that one, by the way). Well, this blog follows in the same vein. After reading this article on Kotaku, I'm curious to know what Giant Bomb thinks about review events, how they impact the industry and whether or not they are a necessity of today's video game scene.

Personally, I think a lavish review event could easily color the opinion of a professional journalist, and in that respect, yes, it's bad for the industry. However, I also think that any journalist who allows themselves to be influenced by such external factors probably

A) Doesn't have a lot of pull in the industry anyway, or won't for long.
B) Would find a way to be influenced even if the event wasn't around.

Basically, I'm saying that any journalist who allows their opinion to be colored in such a way is probably pretty dishonest and need not be listened to, which would be all fine and dandy if we could just weed the buggers out. Unfortunately, the dishonest journalist is not so quickly plucked from a crowd.

So to sum up, let me restate my question: what do you think about AAA-title review events? Do they hurt the industry, and if they do, is there a way around them?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

In previous blogs I've asked you, the people of Giant Bomb, if you thought professional reviews are "just opinions" and whether or not they are preferable to community reviews (jury's still out on that one, by the way). Well, this blog follows in the same vein. After reading this article on Kotaku, I'm curious to know what Giant Bomb thinks about review events, how they impact the industry and whether or not they are a necessity of today's video game scene.

Personally, I think a lavish review event could easily color the opinion of a professional journalist, and in that respect, yes, it's bad for the industry. However, I also think that any journalist who allows themselves to be influenced by such external factors probably

A) Doesn't have a lot of pull in the industry anyway, or won't for long.
B) Would find a way to be influenced even if the event wasn't around.

Basically, I'm saying that any journalist who allows their opinion to be colored in such a way is probably pretty dishonest and need not be listened to, which would be all fine and dandy if we could just weed the buggers out. Unfortunately, the dishonest journalist is not so quickly plucked from a crowd.

So to sum up, let me restate my question: what do you think about AAA-title review events? Do they hurt the industry, and if they do, is there a way around them?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I thought you meant things like GameSpot's launch centers, but after reading a bit of the article, I felt something a bit shady about review events.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

Review events like those sound more like a necessary 'evil' than anything else. Not an ideal way to play a game let alone review one, but a way that does ensure the press get their hands on the game and can play it to its fullest strengths.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Romination

Nonissue. If anyone can be swayed by publishers doing nice things for them, they're too weak for the industry. Publishers are doing things like this for journalists all the time. Taking them out to exclusive clubs, sousing them with alcohol, letting them sit in more-expensive-than-should-be-allowed cars, etc. Godfather 2 took them out on a fucking YACHT and gave everyone a bottle of Cristal.

I think I might agree with Jeff that being able to play alone and comfortable just gives a better view of what the game is. On a big-ass TV in a nice chair, I'm going to be full attention on the game. Besides, look at the games they named! Bioshock. Halo. GTA. Modern Warfare. These things were guaranteed great reviews anyways. If you think it's an issue, then petition your site to post how pampered they were when they got to review it.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By End_Boss
@Romination said:
"If anyone can be swayed by publishers doing nice things for them, they're too weak for the industry. "
You may think that, but I'm not sure the industry agrees with you.

@Hamz said:
" Review events like those sound more like a necessary 'evil' than anything else. Not an ideal way to play a game let alone review one, but a way that does ensure the press get their hands on the game and can play it to its fullest strengths. "
I agree with this for the most part, but that philosophy is assuming the journalist's primary intent is to review a game, and not to take advantage of the perks provided by publishers/developers. I think there's certainly a portion of game journalism to whom that theory doesn't really apply.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Romination
@End_Boss: Well...I've heard reviewers say it themselves. Besides, I'd prefer they treat EVERYONE that way if they have to do it. All the big reviewers (people like tvgames.cool.uk need not apply, and yes I did just make that name up) would be better than "say...IGN...here's a waterbed to review this on...oh, 1up? Here's a stool". Then at least it's universal!
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By End_Boss
@Romination: Well I'm sure a lot of reviewers will say that, but that doesn't mean all of them live by it. As for the "everyone getting the same deal" bit, I totally agree. If this kind of media abuse has to occur, let it apply universally.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Romination
@End_Boss: lawdy, boy, that was a fast reply...I couldn't have even made toast by then.

Eh, that's true. It's like telling McCarthy that I hate Communism and then going home to worship Mao's Red Book! It's denying something that you're doing just for the sake sounding more real. And just an example from a single site, anyways.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Hamz
@End_Boss said:
"I agree with this for the most part, but that philosophy is assuming the journalist's primary intent is to review a game, and not to take advantage of the perks provided by publishers/developers. I think there's certainly a portion of game journalism to whom that theory doesn't really apply."
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a number of current members of the video game press who have questionable integrity and professional values when it comes to things like reviews or covering specific games and maintaining that 'special' relationship with a developer or publisher. That is why I rely half of my judgement on reviews / press coverage and the other on actual community feedback from players who bought and played a game.

The video game press is no different to any other form of journalism which is to say, there is always room for 'corruption' in their coverage. You wouldn't think people like policemen could be bought but they are, so it is no surprise if video game journalists can be bought as well. At the end of the day they are human and as such just like you and me susceptible to being swayed even when they should remain impartial and honest.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Tireyo

Like a good neighbor, Twilight condoms are there.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By penguindust

Movie reviewers go to Cannes in the south of France and Aspen for film festivals, and I don't see it coloring their abilities to write cohesive reviews.  I'm not going to say that personal biases don't find their way into their critiques.  They do as they would under any circumstance, I just feel that the better members of the gaming press conduct themselves professionally in those situations just as the better film critics do when they are sent to a beautiful locale to cover a movie's junket.  As 'core gamers, most of us have a list of video game resources that we trust.  If their review of a game states something, we are inclined to believe them.  However, for those other websites, we are likely to dismiss their critical blurbs just as easily as we would discount a movie's promotional tag line "Best comedy of the year ~ David Manning/Ridgefield Press".