• 134 results
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By apathylad

This is a lengthy read. It was a somewhat interesting article, regardless of whether or not you agree with his opinion. He briefly discusses games like Braid and Flower, and argues how those games are not art. There were also some comparisons to how scratches in caves by ancestors eventually led to the Sistine Chapel work, and how gaming is currently at the former side of the spectrum. I'm hardly a scholar, but I figured some of you may enjoy reading the piece. 

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/video_games_can_never_be_art.html  

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

I wonder how many people will actually read that and not just react to the thread title. I'm gonna say maybe 1 in 5 actually read it.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ArchScabby

That dude is old.  Just saying.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Lautaro

I actually read that, he does not get games.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho
@ArchScabby said:
" That dude is old.  Just saying. "
Yes what is a lifetime of experience anyway, a hindrance probably. He probably doesn't even know about wikipedia, what a jerk.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TheFreeMan

He brings up a good point about how art is unwinnable; you can only experience it, whereas games have set objectives and if they do not then they are no longer a "game" but a representation of a story.

That being said, I still disagree with him. I can't really put it into words so I guess it doesn't matter for much, but I basically see any form of entertainment as a kind of art, and videogames fit into that somewhere. Or something.

Huecomundo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Huecomundo21

TL;DR

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArchScabby

On a second note, who cares.

I don't care if games are art, I play games to have fun, and I do have fun.  Whether they or art or not matters nothing to me.  It's the stupidest most pointless argument.  People need to shutup and stop worrying.  Just play your damn games.

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Spiral_Stars

Last time someone said video games aren't art, they made that awful game Jericho, by a fellow named Clive Barker who made damned sure you knew HE made it.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Damien
@ArchScabby said:
" On a second note, who cares.  I don't care if games are art, I play games to have fun, and I do have fun.  Whether they or art or not matters nothing to me.  It's the stupidest most pointless argument.  People need to shutup and stop worrying.  Just play your damn games. "
This is how I feel.
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zityz

I read it, He's just defending his statement because he doesn't want to seam wrong. Art is a person(s) idea or thought put onto a medium for otheres to interpratate into thier own emotion or experience. Like all forms of media, there is good types and bad types. There's good movies, music  and games, and there are bad movies music and games. Maybe in order for him to understand, maybe they need to have a half fucked up german or french dude who's drunk and makes wierd ass non senseable plots with fucked up visions in it, make video games. 

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By emkeighcameron

who the fuck is Ebert?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Driadon

He does have some points, we really don't know how the hell to classify art or to describe what makes artsy games...artsy. But, that said, his underlining statement way too subjective.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yinstarrunner

I understand his viewpoint quite well but feel disinclined to agree. 

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By mosdl

From reading the article, he's trolling a bit.  Video games (and other games, board, etc) are interactive, and thus a completely different beast.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By baconbits33

Read the article.... Don't know why I did, Roger Ebert is just an elitist prick, and that article just screamed how much of a total prick he was. Personally I think the man needs to take a step back and look at art itself; Bullshit. Now I like art pieces however at the end of the day, art has no true importance in the basics of human beings, and this elitist prick acts like he knows all just by his own definition of art. 
Seriously has anyone looked at the Andy Warhol paintings? Seriously what the fuck? A goddamn soup can and changing a couple colors in a photo and he's known worldwide as the voice of a generation.... wtf? 
And then books.... he discusses how video games like this  "One obvious difference between art and games is that you can win a game" Yeah you know what happens when you read a book? It ends. Just like in video games: They end. At least with video games you immerse yourself where as books you just read words. Seriously has anyone read the book "Things Fall Apart"? Wtf people? That book is apparently critically acclaimed and yet when I finished reading it all I could think about was how I wasn't gonna get back the past 5 hours of my life. And has anyone read "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"? I love how he used that as an example since: THE AUTHOR WAS PUT IN A MENTAL HOSPITAL AND NOBODY HAS THE SLIGHTEST CLUE WHAT THE POEM TRULLY MEANS. 
As you can tell... I really hate people who claim to be critics of art.... Especially elitist pricks like Roger Ebert...

SugarRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SugarRay

Read the article - " Why are gamers so intensely concerned, anyway, that games be defined as art? ", " Why aren't gamers content to play their games and simply enjoy themselves? They have my blessing, not that they care. "

The "Art of Video Games" is good enough for me, just like the "Art of Basketball" or "Science(art) of Boxing".

MrKart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By MrKart

Interesting read, up until he makes no attempt to justify his response to the Braid/Flower remarks and just passes them off without any support. As a theatre maker, I'm turning Braid into a stage-show this summer through contact improvisation, so I certainly don't agree with his claim.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho
@SugarRay said:
" Read the article - " Why are gamers so intensely concerned, anyway, that games be defined as art? ", " Why aren't gamers content to play their games and simply enjoy themselves? They have my blessing, not that they care. "  The "Art of Video Games" is good enough for me, just like the "Art of Basketball" or "Science(art) of Boxing". "
One wonders, then, his vested interest in making sure its never defined as art.
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mmmslash

To be fair, Ebert has been saying this kind of thing for two decades. He is a man rooted in his ways.

SugarRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SugarRay

He also states why he returned to this commentary
" What stirs me to return to the subject? I was urged by a reader, Mark Johns, to consider a video of a TED talk given at USC by Kellee Santiago, a designer and producer of video games. I did so. I warmed to Santiago immediately. She is bright, confident, persuasive. But she is mistaken. "

AFAIK he isn't on a holy crusade or anything to destroy video games and the industry. I believe he just isn't a fan, so be it.  He is a movie reviewer.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Flower is not "art" or at least a failed attempt at some impressionistic visual "game." Ebert is fucking spot on with my views.

I am just saying words because I hate Flower.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Video games aren't really "art." They can have aspects to them that are artistic, but they aren't art. Perhaps one day they will be, but they aren't right now.

For example, when most people look at a game like Final Fantasy VII, they don't see an amazing storyline, beautiful graphics, awesome gameplay, or any of that. They see a game that is lame and overdone with bad graphics, and the main character is a blonde emo kid wielding a giant sword who is fighting some mama's boy.

A game like Okami has a very artistic aspect to it, but it isn't art. I would say that a book is more a form of "art" than a video game.

Of course, this is merely my current opinion. Perhaps one day, I will consider video games art. However, that day is not today.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e95ba42dcd
deactivated-5d9e95ba42dcd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck Ebert and his droopy lip.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Ariketh said:

" Video games aren't really "art." They can have aspects to them that are artistic, but they aren't art. Perhaps one day they will be, but they aren't right now. For example, when most people look at a game like Final Fantasy VII, they don't see an amazing storyline, beautiful graphics, awesome gameplay, or any of that. They see a game that is lame and overdone with bad graphics, and the main character is a blonde emo kid wielding a giant sword who is fighting some mama's boy.A game like Okami has a very artistic aspect to it, but it isn't art. I would say that a book is more a form of "art" than a video game. Of course, this is merely my current opinion. Perhaps one day, I will consider video games art. However, that day is not today. "

For me the only closest thing for video games as an art form is Grand Theft Auto IV. Things such as its underlying social commentary and themes such as the immigrant story help support it to being art but hell there are so many definitions of the form that it's debatable.

It's not the most visually lavish or whatever the fuck but hell it connects with so many issues that's relevant today.
Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Phished0ne

After skimming through and  reading most of it (too busy editing the Franz Lanzinger page to read the whole thing) i can safely say he gets too caught up in semantics. The whole "video games cant be art just like a board game cant be art" debate.  I would be immensely interested to see what he thinks about a game like Heavy Rain.  I on the other hand, know video games can be art,  some of the main principles of art are evoking emotion and having some "artistic vision"(although art is hard to define). I have played games that i would consider having a "Cear vision", and i have DEFINITELY played games that evoked emotion in me...hell there have been a few games that made me choke up a bit. 

I think it boils down to this, video games are our generations movies, at first they weren't considered art,  but now they are. I know there have been characters and situations in games that i relate to and strike a chord with me more than most of the "bang-bang shoot-em-ups" or "oh that man tripped over an ottermanlolololol comedies" that are being made today. Hell didnt our own Jeff Gerstmann say there was a point in GTA 4 where he had to stop for a while before he kept playing because it  hit close to home? (maybe i am getting the person or game confused)

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lautaro

If he's a movie reviewer he has no business commenting on something he clearly has little to no background knowledge on. His commentary on Braid and Flower just made him seem like a stuck up elitist asshole. I'll openly admit though i am not a fan of Ebert or his reviews so take that as you will.    

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwho
@SugarRay said:
" He also states why he returned to this commentary " What stirs me to return to the subject? I was urged by a reader, Mark Johns, to consider a video of a TED talk given at USC by Kellee Santiago, a designer and producer of video games. I did so. I warmed to Santiago immediately. She is bright, confident, persuasive. But she is mistaken. "  AFAIK he isn't on a holy crusade or anything to destroy video games and the industry. I believe he just isn't a fan, so be it.  He is a movie reviewer. "
I will concede the video in question wasn't convincing at all.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Lautaro said:

" If he's a movie reviewer he has no business commenting on something he clearly has little to no background knowledge on. His commentary on Braid and Flower just made him seem like a stuck up elitist asshole. I'll openly admit though i am not a fan of Ebert or his reviews so take that as you will.     "

To be fair it's just initial views that a guy requested.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bonbolapti

I love this thread, some of you people are shallow. 
I also really liked this paragraph.

Do they require validation? In defending their gaming against parents, spouses, children, partners, co-workers or other critics, do they want to be able to look up from the screen and explain, "I'm studying a great form of art?" Then let them say it, if it makes them happy.

I agree with him and said before that Video Games can't be considered art, and you can't give it a loop hole subset either. It doesn't really have to be spelled out either becuase the answer is just right there (for me anyway)
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

"I allow Sangtiago the last word. Toward the end of her presentation, she shows a visual with six circles, which represent, I gather, the components now forming for her brave new world of video games as art. The circles are labeled: Development, Finance, Publishing, Marketing, Education, and Executive Management. I rest my case."

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Red

Now, I like me some Ebert, but he seems a little off-base and stuck-up in this. He also keeps going back to a game having "scores" and objectives, which hey: they don't have. I also think that he should play these games--or at least know more about them--before he tears them down.
Anyways, as far as I'm concerned, art is the delivery of a message given by its creator, meant to be interpreted and resonated by its consumer. 
Therefore, as Ebert has said before, a game like Heavy Rain doesn't quite work as art, because its interactivity only dilutes its creator's original intent. 
However, a game like Shadow of the Colossus does. It uses gaming's tools of interactivity to strengthen its storytelling, further emphasizing the sense of guilt one receives after killing a colossi.   

Yeah, I don't get what most of what I said means, either.

ARTB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By ARTB
@Ariketh said:
" Video games aren't really "art." They can have aspects to them that are artistic, but they aren't art. Perhaps one day they will be, but they aren't right now. For example, when most people look at a game like Final Fantasy VII, they don't see an amazing storyline, beautiful graphics, awesome gameplay, or any of that. They see a game that is lame and overdone with bad graphics, and the main character is a blonde emo kid wielding a giant sword who is fighting some mama's boy.A game like Okami has a very artistic aspect to it, but it isn't art. I would say that a book is more a form of "art" than a video game. Of course, this is merely my current opinion. Perhaps one day, I will consider video games art. However, that day is not today. "
Just Like how when some people see a Picasso all they see is a messed up face? Art is subjective to the viewer, if critics like Ebert need to define "art" in certain categories then they are far too closed minded.
mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mrjared

No Caption Provided
Just like his 1-Star review of Kick-Ass, Ebert is woefully and willfully out-of-touch and seems to be quite pleased with his ignorance regarding anything of relevance in modern pop culture. He's one of my favorite writers on this planet today, but whenever he shares his thoughts on the vidya games, I can't help but face palm -- hard.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bonbolapti
@MrJared: maybe he's doing it right? pop culture isn't even pop culture anymore :P hurhurhur
Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By Artie

I believe this sums up his entire article:

" Her next example is a game named "Braid" (above). This is a game "that explores our own relationship with our past...you encounter enemies and collect puzzle pieces, but there's one key difference...you can't die." You can go back in time and correct your mistakes. In chess, this is known as taking back a move, and negates the whole discipline of the game. Nor am I persuaded that I can learn about my own past by taking back my mistakes in a video game. She also admires a story told between the games levels, which exhibits prose on the level of a wordy fortune cookie. "

He compares something from Briad to if it were possible in Chess and criticizes how it would ruin the competitive nature and "fairness" of Chess. Missing the point entirely that the game isn't about setting up rules to follow, its about people's desires to take back foolish actions.

More importantly this proves he hasn't played the game, and criticizing anything you have not experience yourself is foolish.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pinworm45

Why should I care what some old out of touch fart who can't write for crap anyway says?

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spence_5060

I get what he's trying to say. But what he doesn't realize is the art from the emotion that is supposed to come from games. What I do agree with is that that emotional connect with the player and the game which is supposed to be the art part of the game hasn't exactly been achieved yet. The emotion is supposed to be from experiencing the game and getting to know the characters and the story and the world, and then the story twists it all around during its dramatic twist in the middle of the game or where ever it is and makes an emotional impact on you. I think that there are only a small handful, if any, games out there that achieve this well.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39  Edited By xpgamer7

I find that his argument makes sense in a way, but he's wrong in that the video games he describes or what a video game even is, all depend on personal opinion and definition. For example he refers games such as braid to cave paintings. This is opinion, rather than fact. Also he says that some games that are overly open ended are not classified by games. This to me is opinion as well. I find games to be interactive media that expand over many subjects from heavy rain style and story based games to ninja gaiden and no more heroes game styles. I am not sure whether to consider games as art, but I think it's opinionated and that no one person can present the answer as fact.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ARTB said:
" @Ariketh said:
Just Like how when some people see a Picasso all they see is a messed up face? Art is subjective to the viewer, if critics like Ebert need to define "art" in certain categories then they are far too closed minded. "
True enough, though Ebert is sorta an ass.

I am not sure how I would define art, actually...
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#41  Edited By apathylad
@Fragstoff said:
" Roger Ebert Should Lay Off the Fatty Foods     "
This is probably the most inappropriate response in this thread, considering Ebert is missing his lower jaw...
NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NakAttack
@Apathylad said:
" @Fragstoff said:
" Roger Ebert Should Lay Off the Fatty Foods     "
This is probably the most inappropriate response in this thread, considering Ebert is missing his lower jaw... "
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Driadon
@Ariketh said:
" @ARTB said:
" @Ariketh said:
Just Like how when some people see a Picasso all they see is a messed up face? Art is subjective to the viewer, if critics like Ebert need to define "art" in certain categories then they are far too closed minded. "
True enough, though Ebert is sorta an ass.  I am not sure how I would define art, actually... "
If anything, this article is a prime example of exactly that. A universal definition for art has been debated for centuries, and I doubt that that debate will ever end.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By StaticFalconar
@Lautaro said:
" I actually read that, he does not get games. "
He doesn't get movies either judging from his review of kickass. 
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@ArchScabby said:
" That dude is old.  Just saying. "
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Andorski

The article had a few "oh SNAP!" moments.

About Braid: She also admires a story told between the games levels, which exhibits prose on the level of a wordy fortune cookie. -- Take that, Jonathan Blow!
---
While the article, of course, is largely founded on his own perspective, one thought struck me as being universally true:
Why are gamers so intensely concerned, anyway, that games be defined as art? Bobby Fischer, Michael Jordan and Dick Butkus never said they thought their games were an art form. Nor did Shi Hua Chen, winner of the $500,000 World Series of Mah Jong in 2009. Why aren't gamers content to play their games and simply enjoy themselves?

Why, indeed Mr. Ebert.  Why, indeed.  I'm gonna go play some Rapelay.  Who's with me?

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Supermarius

Its just weird. He overall is probably the most thoughtful critic of movies there is. He's a smart guy but when it comes to videogames he is willfully ignorant. Really he is a bigot because he holds a view that he will not allow facts to change and he is refusing to investigate the thing he condemns. His article is full of meritless "zingers" that would be mocked for their facile nature in any forum. I really pity him in t his regard.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sogeman

Hm, he definitly doesn't write shit no one agrees with for Site Visits. Old weird guy

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By haggis
@Apathylad: I did actually read the article and found it ... ignorant. But, then, Ebert is paid to give his opinion about *movies* and he's not an expert on anything else. He tends to run his mouth off about a lot of things he doesn't quite understand, and from the article it's clear he doesn't quite understand video games.

Sure, not all games are true art. Neither are all movies, or all paintings or novels. Some are trash. But Ebert is mistaken about quite a few things.

Art, for instance, does have rules, objectives, and an outcome. Some rules are broken, of course, but there *are* rules. Entire classes of poetry have rules. Are haiku not art because they have strict rules about composition? Or sonnets? Filming movies and photography all have rules for good composition. Painters have rules for color complementarity. Most artists go into their work with an objective. And most of us read a novel or poem with an objective. We want to be moved, or entertained. And there is play between us as viewers or readers, and the author or painter or sculpture. Art can succeed, and art can fail. Alternatively, we can fail to discern art's meaning, or succeed.

His discussion of Braid is also flawed. It's obvious he hasn't ever played the game. The time mechanic is not merely "taking back a move," but allows you to layer movement on movement. It is far and away a more complicated arrangement than, say, the artistic expression of time-confusion in movies like Memento, for instance. I can certainly argue that the mechanic in Braid is far different than the feature in the new Game Room on Xbox Live that allows a rewinding of the game (which actually is, in a sense, taking back a move). If playing with time is artistic in movies and novels, why is it suddenly a point Ebert brings in favor of games *not* being art?

I think the baseline here is that Ebert is a bit of an elitist, and doesn't *like* games. Like someone who doesn't enjoy, say, jazz music, he never bothers to learn what constitutes expression in the medium. He's right only about one thing: games have generally failed to live up to the quality of novels or films. But this is a weak point to make. There are, after all, thousands of films which fail to live up to the standard of the great movies. I wouldn't call, say, Air Force One, a great piece of art. But I suspect Ebert would at least grant that it is art in one form or another. Now, why is Air Force One a work of art, but Modern Warfare, not? Ebert never actually tries to make realistic comparisons.

Games certainly have a long way to go toward being great works of art. Maybe they'll never reach that level. But the idea that they aren't art right now is just plain silly.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By meteora

In my opinion; video games can be art. Music, writing, paintings, films, they're all art. Art can be a rather subjective matter or has a vague definition as well. You could call martial arts an art, or the study of chemistry formulas an art.

Though most gamers are not insulted in any way that video gaming is not an art, so it really doesn't matter what people think. The only people who might be a bit more offended are the people who make the game; specifically the graphic artists. They know that they're making more of a an enterainment medium than art, but certain individuals might think otherwise.