Rumor: Sony's New Portable Is The PSP Go!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64
Kotaku Link   From the Article:

"Details of Sony's oft-rumored revision to its PlayStation Portable may have been leaked a little earlier than the company was expecting, as chatter of the PSP Go! appears to have leaked a few days early.

According to the initially uploaded most recent episode of the "at1UP" podcast, Sony will soon be announcing the PSP Go!, with some of the web site's staff having already seen the device. The podcast describes the new hardware iteration as having "slide out" or "flip out" controls, as well as a larger screen.

The biggest point of contention among 1UP staffers appeared to be the name of the new hardware, lightly derided as "PSP Go exclamation point."

That episode has since been edited to remove mention of the PSP Go!.

If true, the description of the new hardware appears to jibe with previous rumored mentions of the "PSP-4000" which is allegedly planning to drop the system's UMD drive in favor of internal storage. With more and more PSP games going digital download only—and additional loose talk of in-store kiosks that would allow gamers to rip UMD games to a storage device—that particular rumor is starting to look more feasible.

Sony itself surveyed PlayStation fans on what features they'd like to see in a new PSP earlier this year, hinting at the possibility of built-in storage, a touchscreen interface and built-in keyboard.

The arrival of the new PSP hardware is expected to hit before the holidays, according to reports.

"We haven't announced any new PSP hardware and can't comment on rumors or speculation," an SCEA rep told Kotaku when reached for clarification.

Thanks to PJ and Mr. Wednesday for the heads up."

What do you guys think about this?

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I seriously hope they don't name it the "PSP Go!".

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

Cant say it suprises me. I kind of hoped for sonys sake that they actually had another handheld in the pipeline, because all of the rumors were stopping a lot of people from buying a current PSP. Kind of vindicates IGN doesnt it?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

Really. If it's named PSP Go! I won't buy one. What does it mean? PlayStation Portable, Go!

Punch-wipe, go!

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By fr0br0

I would buy it just so I could fill it with Go! Team music... Then never play the bad games that will come with it.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TheJollyRajah

They're trying to find a catchy name for their product, just like Nintendo gives to their products. People are more inclined to purchase a PSP Go! than a PSP-4000. Part of Nintendo's success comes from the unique names they give their hardware, like the Wii. People will remember that name longer because it's easy to remember and it sounds funny.

I think the age when consoles were named with numbers is behind us.
Luberik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Luberik

PSP 4000ZED331!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

Not too keen on that name, but the rest sounds good.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

I doubt they'd go digital distribution only. How many PSPs are out there? How many are regularly connected online? How many sales do the digitally available games get? And if they're so serious about digital distribution, why is the PSN store fracking empty (At least in Europe)? None of the traditional publishers have the guts to go digital only even on the PC, which is the platform that is most connected to the internet. Sure, it happens for low budget games, indie games, and the occasional web release, but even fracking Valve Software offer their games in stores, they don't want to lose those customers because it's a substantial part of the market that digital distribution has not yet reached. Also, that survey is from this year. Lol? They think they asked 1000 or 10000 people, got the answers, and have already got a design ready to show to the public based on that? What? Anyway, of course they're readying a new portable. They're also readying a new home console. You know, much like every first party invests in R&D for the future, whether they actually have any kind of release plans or not. If we'll see a PSP revision or not, or a brand new portable or not, has little to do with such things.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
Luberik said:
"PSP 4000ZED331!"
YES! lol
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By CL60
ParanoidFreak said:
"I seriously hope they don't name it the "PSP Go!"."
It's an awesome name!
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Karmum
ParanoidFreak said:
"I seriously hope they don't name it the "PSP Go!"."
That is probably what it is translated into English. That would be a rather lame name slap on it in America.
Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Pkshields

I really don't like that name too. Cheap and gimmicky to me. Hopefully they add another analogue stick, but other than that it looks pretty good to me!