Scrubs really are everywhere. Science inside!

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

A report published by Media Proffessor, David Myers from Loyola University chronicles his account of social interactions within City of Heroes. He performs a number of various social experiments, the most notable of which was to see how people reacted to aggressive actions that were purely within the games rules.

He apparently set about hunting down and killing villain player characters, as he is apparently allowed, even encouraged to do within the games rules. However, what he found was that most of these people preffered to hang out in their little fantasy world, believing the games rules to not apply to them. And when killed, the list of threats and reactions Myers recieved is nothing short of impressive.

You know what I see in this report? Scrubs. This is yet more proof that scrubs are all around us, they want to play their own little game in a corner somewhere entirely outside of the main gameplay rules. Pathetic.

Anyhow, it makes a very interesting read.

Link to source: http://kotaku.com/5308780/college-professor-trolls-for-science-finds-people-hate-him

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Absurd

I thought this was going to be about the show :\

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

That would be off-topic. ;)

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By s-a-n-JR

My favourite scrubs character is Dr Cox.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By tekmojo

I love when people do things like this. It's what makes MMO games so fun, diverse and unique. Oh shit nevermind here comes the ganksquad! Play the game how you want to, let your alter ego come out to play.

Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Happy
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By EvilDingo

Haven't played any mmorpg, but I guess that really the problem when people can't play "isolated". 

I don't think you can fault gamers for trying to play the game THEY want to, since games are all about having fun. However this behavior is problematic if they don't have the option to play on a server dedicated to their own special rules.

It's more cut and dry if you play competitive games, where each match is "isolated" and thus can be created with special rules applied or stated before hand. Breaking those rules within such match, would just be being ass and taking advantage of the people trying to play how they want to.
However I couldn't consider any mmorpg competitive.

Personally I'm in favor of just sticking to a games set rules and learn to exploit them through trial and error. Don't trust players with no or few loses :-)
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8  Edited By the8bitNacho
@Absurd said:
" I thought this was going to be about the show :\ "

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By lemon360

so? me and my buddies, when on different teams teabag each other at the end of cod4 search games and shoot mature content into walls. its greatness.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10  Edited By the8bitNacho
@lemon360 said:
" so? me and my buddies, when on different teams teabag each other at the end of cod4 search games and shoot mature content into walls. its greatness. "
You, my friend, are part of the problem.
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

That isawesome. I give props to the mean.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Bigandtasty

this reminds me of the traditional response from jaded players on my wow realm forum about any given "damn this guy for camping me" topic: 

"pvp on a pvp server"

no idea if they still kept using it after lich king though
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Bigandtasty:

Precisely, if you play a PVP server, or an open PVP game, you have no right to complain when someone ganks you.

It's like buying a hot dog and then complaining you didnt get a burger.