Serious Blogging Episode 2: Save your money!

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Edited By demontium

I look at games for what they are, and there are some games that make SO MUCH MONEY that really should not. Of course I am going to use Madden as my example. You see children (quoting Three Dog if you did not catch that) our society loves to buy these games, but it begs the question... WHY? Why buy a recycled series that almost does nothing for you. If you like these games that is great, but do not keep buying them one year after the other. What I mean is, if you bought '08, it is so similar to '09 that you do not need to buy '09. Why not wait for '010, because hoprefully by then they have made enough changes to spend $59.99 on the product. Yes I bashed Madden last blog and I have the power to do so again. 

This is a good way to asplain it!

This is obvious for most behemoth sport realistic games (i.e. NHL, NCAA, NBA, NFL, and so on). The reason why I chose Madden is because it makes SO MUCH MONEY. They are practically stealing candy from a baby! Now be advised, I am not telling you what to buy, I am just setting out the circumstances, and if I were a frequent buyer of realistic sport behemoth games, I would want more for my money. You can spend your money on it if you really want to, because odds are if you bought '01 you bought all the following. I am trying to say that you should demand more for your money, especially if you like the series.  This all brings me to a very iffy bit of opinion: Super Street Fighter IV.  

OBVIOUSLY Street Fighter IV was an amazing game, but will it be in the same dilemma that <insert stupid sports game> is in? Why not? People bought the hell out of SFII and all of its remakes, I am even guilty of buying SSF2THDR. Look how many add ons (this version does not include tournament and other SFII advancements) this went through to get to that. Can't SSFIV be taken care of through DLC people? It is too much money to buy 5 different versions of SFIV! Yet people are still going to buy it. You know what that tells Capcom? MAKE MORE!  
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By demontium

I look at games for what they are, and there are some games that make SO MUCH MONEY that really should not. Of course I am going to use Madden as my example. You see children (quoting Three Dog if you did not catch that) our society loves to buy these games, but it begs the question... WHY? Why buy a recycled series that almost does nothing for you. If you like these games that is great, but do not keep buying them one year after the other. What I mean is, if you bought '08, it is so similar to '09 that you do not need to buy '09. Why not wait for '010, because hoprefully by then they have made enough changes to spend $59.99 on the product. Yes I bashed Madden last blog and I have the power to do so again. 

This is a good way to asplain it!

This is obvious for most behemoth sport realistic games (i.e. NHL, NCAA, NBA, NFL, and so on). The reason why I chose Madden is because it makes SO MUCH MONEY. They are practically stealing candy from a baby! Now be advised, I am not telling you what to buy, I am just setting out the circumstances, and if I were a frequent buyer of realistic sport behemoth games, I would want more for my money. You can spend your money on it if you really want to, because odds are if you bought '01 you bought all the following. I am trying to say that you should demand more for your money, especially if you like the series.  This all brings me to a very iffy bit of opinion: Super Street Fighter IV.  

OBVIOUSLY Street Fighter IV was an amazing game, but will it be in the same dilemma that <insert stupid sports game> is in? Why not? People bought the hell out of SFII and all of its remakes, I am even guilty of buying SSF2THDR. Look how many add ons (this version does not include tournament and other SFII advancements) this went through to get to that. Can't SSFIV be taken care of through DLC people? It is too much money to buy 5 different versions of SFIV! Yet people are still going to buy it. You know what that tells Capcom? MAKE MORE!  
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By demontium

Can you caption videos? 

Im guessing no!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

I don't feel guilty buying Super SFIV because I didn't buy the original version

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

I know this is going to sound weird, but I blame you, the fans of these games. You love them, fine; but why do you need another version of the same damn thing? Can't you let a good game stand on its own without sequel after sequel? I'm a fan of Panzer Dragoon Saga, but I don't want a direct sequel to it. I'm comfortable not knowing what happens to Edge in the end. Oh, and Final Fantasy VII is another good example. It was a decent game that stood on its own, and part of that was because of the cliffhanger ending. A bajillion sequels later, I can see why people bash the game (even if they are idiots for doing so without playing it or giving it a chance).

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5  Edited By natetodamax

When people are truly devoted to a series, they'll do anything to get their hands on the latest game no matter what. And because of that, companies get lots of money.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By demontium
@AgentJ: Then it doesnt count lol 

@Video_Game_King: Thats who i blame too! read between the lines. 

I didn't say it directly so as to not start a war.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King
@demontium: 

Oh, I stopped reading when I hit the video. Sorry, short attention sp-OH MY GOD, A BUTTERFLY! *chases after it, swatting it with an axe*
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Hamst3r
@Video_Game_King said:
" I know this is going to sound weird, but I blame you, the fans of these games. You love them, fine; but why do you need another version of the same damn thing? Can't you let a good game stand on its own without sequel after sequel? I'm a fan of Panzer Dragoon Saga, but I don't want a direct sequel to it. I'm comfortable not knowing what happens to Edge in the end. Oh, and Final Fantasy VII is another good example. It was a decent game that stood on its own, and part of that was because of the cliffhanger ending. A bajillion sequels later, I can see why people bash the game (even if they are idiots for doing so without playing it or giving it a chance). "
A proper sequel is a good thing. What differentials a cash-in from a proper sequel? Story. There's a reason for it to be a new game.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hamst3r: 

I understand that, but it doesn't explain the majority of sequels out there (fighting games, sports game, every single new version of Tetris Attack, etc.).
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hamst3r
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hamst3r:   I understand that, but it doesn't explain the majority of sequels out there (fighting games, sports game, every single new version of Tetris Attack, etc.). "

I get what you mean. I'm not disagreeing with you on that. I'm just saying, I wouldn't want them to stop making real sequels. The whole reason I posted is because you mentioned stuff like FFVI and Panzer Dragoon, which as far as I know their sequels are full on story-driven adventures or what I'm referring to as proper sequels. Yes, it's true; stuff like New Tetris, Bejeweled Twist, Madden 10 and Mario Party 2 through 8 don't need to exist. If there were no sequels though, I would have never gotten to enjoy Half-Life 2, Red Alert 2, Silent Hill 2 and many other amazing sequels.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hamst3r: 

Same here. If there were no sequels, I never would have played about 80% of my Top 10 Games Ever, Treasure would ironically fade from existence, and I wouldn't be playing Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn as I type this.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hamst3r:   Same here. If there were no sequels, I never would have played about 80% of my Top 10 Games Ever, Treasure would ironically fade from existence, and I wouldn't be playing Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn as I type this. "
I would have thought you'd have finished Radiant Dawn by now. Or are you playing it for a 2nd-10th time?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AgentJ: 

I just finished the bridge chapter they copied and pasted directly from Path of Radiance. Besides, I have plenty of other excuses (the time, my Wii being absent for so long, etc.).
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ
@Video_Game_King said:
" @AgentJ:   I just finished the bridge chapter they copied and pasted directly from Path of Radiance. Besides, I have plenty of other excuses (the time, my Wii being absent for so long, etc.). "
It's still surprising to me. You seem like the type to drop everything when a new FE comes out
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AgentJ: 

Well, I got it for my birthday about a month and a half ago, and my Wii didn't work until earlier this month, so...
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentJ
@Video_Game_King said:
" @AgentJ:   Well, I got it for my birthday about a month and a half ago, and my Wii didn't work until earlier this month, so... "
...What region do you live in?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AgentJ: 

The moon. Even if we have had games for a few thousand years earlier than you (time machines are awesome), I still got it just recently. Some soldier lost the copy a long time ago. Fortunately, he is dead, so this won't happen again :P.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AgentJ

Of course, that explains it. I feel for you moon people.Are you EVER going to get Shadow Dragon? :P

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bonbolapti

that's why we're consumers.. M i rite? 
There's a reason why I actually like dlc for this kind of stuff. It's why I think something like Burnout Paradise is a brilliant game. 

Street fighter II originally had so many versions because it was half trying to improve flawed systems and keep up with it's competition and stay the number one fighting game. Nowadays I can see that It would be better off being DLC, because every new game that comes out is really just a tweak. but the reason why it's always a full on game is probably to justify why they tweaked it. 

It is for us to blame, but nobody is really at fault. But with something like this, I actually would like to see more and more people be Pro DLC. 

and Madden is a big deal to people that love football, there's probably a huge majority of people that play that game alone. (I'm assuming) So they're fine.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By demontium
@bonbolapti: Thats your excuse for being cheated? 

Go ahead lol. 

Not my money.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bonbolapti

excuse? 

I'm lost.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By Branthog

The industry's wet dream is to charge you for the box. Then charge you every time you play it. Then push the big red button on the server-side that will remotely disable every copy of the game everyone ever bought after a few years, so they can offer it in some other digital format/service and charge you all over again for it. In the meantime, they're settling for milking every franchise they think they can get away with an annual release on. Easier for sports games (though it shouldn't be), but they're clearly looking toward doing it for other genres and franchises, too.

But hey, we seem quite happy spending sixty-five fucking bucks for an eight hour game, so we're clearly suckers to begin with.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Sabata

You can say "shit" on the internet.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

It's pretty simple for me really, if I like something and a sequel comes out, I'll probably end up buying it because it'll be more of what I like.
If they announce Borderlands 2 and Brutal Legend 2 tomorrow, I'd be pretty psyched.
While I may be part of the problem, you can only play the same game for so long.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By demontium
@bonbolapti: Try reading 

@Branthog: World of Warcraft?
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bonbolapti
@demontium: I wasn't making an excuse. So come up with a better reply :D
LightGaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#28  Edited By LightGaia

That video brings up some good points. As a Megaman fan, I can't say I'm not willing to buy "the same old ****" but, it really is getting out of hand. Every time I go to Walmart or Gamestop looking for games, everything seems to mesh together. GoW, Halo, Resistance, KZ2.....I mean what's the difference? FF13? 13!?!? Seriously? Just so developers can start re-releasing **** charging you full price to throw away your imagination. A lot of these games were great the first time but, we need some serious innoviation to push games forward. Just look at MM9. Same old game with the number 9 on it. And people except this? The only reason why I stomach this is because I can'r seem to see any other option besides quitting gaming or making my own games. Video games are becoming more like Hollywood with each release. SF4 gonna be the Halloween of video games soon. Every Mario game feels like they released yet another Pixar/Dreamworks movie that managed to actually be worse than the last one, that last one actually being good which means it's getting worse with each release. This stuff is just getting old and uninspired. Even the systems have numbers(ex. PS3). People need to demostrate some originality if we expect this to stop anytime soon. Well, I guess I'll wait for Uncharted 3, VF6, Yet another damn Zelda game, or what ever unoriginal sequels or knock-offs I have to look forward to. At least I actually like SF but damn, I can only spend so much money on the same old ****.