#1 Posted by SmiteOfHand (84 posts) -

Bummer! I realize times are tough financially, but seems like if we can still manage to afford video games and junk we could manage to keep the line open for ET. I'm gonna sign up for a membership on their site and hopefully help out.
#2 Posted by RudeJohn (154 posts) -
@Sylpher said:
"   Bummer! I realize times are tough financially, but seems like if we can still manage to afford video games and junk we could manage to keep the line open for ET. I'm gonna sign up for a membership on their site and hopefully help out. "
Remember Carl Sagan? That obnoxious fuck was a champion bullshit artist.

To be honest, I'm surprised SETI is still in business. My planet has already proven there's no intelligent life on Earth.
#3 Posted by Portis (1283 posts) -

I had no idea SETI was still around.

#4 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Damn, I've put hundreds of hours of compute-time through BOINC too. 

@RudeJohn said:
Remember Carl Sagan? That obnoxious fuck was a champion bullshit artist."
Well, you live up to your name at least.
#5 Posted by Pie (7111 posts) -

Will Rights gonna be pissed

#6 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Yeah, I was talking to Kyreo about this last night. It's pretty sad, but I can appreciate that there are other things we should be expending resources on.

#7 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

This is one of those times where I wished I was Bill Gates. I would happily donate five million. That's like nothing to the billions and billions he has.
#8 Posted by Xolare (1285 posts) -

Fuck it. Let dem aliens find us.

#9 Posted by obcdexter (649 posts) -

Poor Jodie Foster ...

#10 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

That is sad, but we already have Independence Day so it's all good.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11396 posts) -

WHAT?! What is this nonsense! Man, now my day has been ruined...

#12 Posted by Ubik (122 posts) -

No big loss.  The aliens have probably switched to satellite radio by now anyway.  

#13 Posted by Gabriel (4081 posts) -

SETI? wasn't that a prop set for Contact?

#14 Posted by scraz (79 posts) -

Scientists found out years ago that radio wave transmissions become completely distorted at a point.Theres no way we could find life useing it.

#15 Posted by ShaggE (6700 posts) -

And you just know the SECOND SETI shuts down, an alien signal is going to bounce off the dishes unheard. Then, thinking us rude for playing the interstellar equivalent of Ding Dong Ditch, they will inevitably come down and blow up our most recognizable landmarks. 

#16 Posted by Bones8677 (3278 posts) -

Oh no, now what are they gonna use for Goldeneye 2?

#17 Posted by aurahack (2289 posts) -

Aw bummer. :(

#18 Posted by Skunkboy72 (130 posts) -

There are better scientific pursuits to put money into.  At least they aren't cutting funding to research that might actually better are life on earth

#19 Posted by RudeJohn (154 posts) -
@Geno said:
" Damn, I've put hundreds of hours of compute-time through BOINC too. 

@RudeJohn said:
Remember Carl Sagan? That obnoxious fuck was a champion bullshit artist."
Well, you live up to your name at least.
"
Hey, i didn't say that I didn't like the guy. He was certainly likeable. But that sum'bitch could shovel it far beyond the ability of ordinary hoo-mons.  ;-)
#20 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@Xolare said:
" Fuck it. Let dem aliens find us. "
I know right? We got shit to do
#21 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Good. SETI is bullshit. They're never gonna find aliens with fucking radios in a universe where it's not possible to travel far enough to find alien life in the first place.

#22 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

It was a waste of money, so good.
#23 Posted by EkajArmstro (397 posts) -

Talk about coincidence. We just watched Contact in our physics class at school.

#24 Posted by Xolare (1285 posts) -
@luce said:
" @Xolare said:
" Fuck it. Let dem aliens find us. "
I know right? We got shit to do "
Let's go jump into some TV's bro.
*Sunglasses*
#25 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

thats a huge bummer :(

#26 Posted by Tebbit (4486 posts) -
@Pie said:
" Will Rights gonna be pissed "
More like Will Wrong, ammirite?
#27 Posted by PenguinDust (12629 posts) -

SETI hasn't been important since The X-Files went off the air.  

Besides, aliens don't wanna have anything to do with Earth.  Every alien that drops by gets harassed by the locals.  Who needs that?
#28 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1539 posts) -

This is yet another sad event in a long list of sad events since the last Apollo missions.  Where might we be today if we kept pushing the edge of our space knowledge.  Would we be on the moon today with a large base?  Would we be launching rockets from the moon for Mars with an actual plan to setting foot on there?  I will forever be sad and angered that we let politics destroy the space age.    

And to all that hippy crap about having more important things is a load of shit.  We won't ever fix the problems on Earth until we develop the tech needed to explore the stars and we won't do that by sitting here.    

#29 Edited by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -

Good. SETI was dumb as hell, and so was that movie.

#30 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

When we're talking about economics, me and you buying video games, and SETI paying for equipment, employees and services to detect aliens aren't really the same thing. Still, even if I agree that perhaps it's time they closed their doors, I am a little sad to see them go.

#31 Posted by themartyr (691 posts) -

Properly sad news. Any time that any area of science is chosen to be ignored, we make a bad decision for our planet. If you had any idea how little funding goes into things like SETI and NASA from the government, you would spit-take all over your keyboard.

Science and the pursuit of knowledge for our own betterment are humanity's only hope of ever reaching beyond the confines of our solar system. We just took one step back.
#32 Posted by mnzy (2925 posts) -

It was grossly inefficient anyway.

#33 Posted by l4wd0g (2016 posts) -

It's about time. SETI was the biggest waste of time and money. There was no science, just a shot in the dark with billions of dollars.

#34 Posted by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -
@mnzy said:
" It was grossly inefficient anyway. "
Thats pretty much the truth. But still can't help but think its a bit sad anyhow.