• 76 results
Posted by StarvingGamer (8158 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: Snake? Snake!? SNAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!!! (184 votes)

1 & 3 44%
2 & 4 26%
Just show me the results 30%

This question popped up again briefly during this week's Bombcast. As great as MGS was, the sheer audacity of Kojima flipping off gamers and fans with MGS2 made me love it instantly. It's one of the select few games I've beaten twice-in-a-row in a single sitting. 3 was a fantastic game as well, but the up-its-own-ass insanity of 4 tickled my MGS bone in all the right ways. With Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain on the (distant) horizon, hopefully there will be one of each type of Metal Gear for us to enjoy, but I'm worried they blew all the crazy and it's all self-serious from here on out.

So where do you fall?

#1 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Wait, what's the question?? I've only played Substance on the Xbox. It was okay. Never felt like playing any others.

#2 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

I played MGS2 recently and man does that game drag. It had me interested at first but by the time I had to fight a fighter jet I had about enough. It was a bad idea to go straight into MGS3 because although that game plays much better I just got bored real quick.

I want to skip the never-ending cutscenes but isn't that why I'm playing these games for? I'll get back to MGS3 at some point (and eventually peace walker) but that won't be at least until I'm done with Bioshock Infinite. Maybe then in the distant future I'll be playing ground zeroes and phantom pain.

So to answer the question, none. I didn't enjoy any of the MGS's so far.

#3 Edited by Bishna (334 posts) -

I only liked 3, and parts of 4. I didn't know that there was a weird divide between people liking 1+3 and 2+4.

#4 Edited by StarvingGamer (8158 posts) -

@jdh5153: Every MGS game is kinda crazy nuts in its own way, but MGS and MGS3 are much more self-serious whereas MSG2 and MGS4 reach over-the-top snake-eating-itself levels of in(s)anity. Some people, like Jeff, prefer the bat-shit crazy tone of 2 and 4. Other people, like Patrick, prefer the more straight-faced 1 and 3.

#5 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

2 is my favorite so I went with that option.

#6 Posted by isomeri (1259 posts) -

Sons of Liberty and MGS1 are probably my favorites.

#7 Posted by Kyelb22 (297 posts) -

Well, since I love every MGS I've played (2, 3, and 4), I feel like these poll options don't really suit me that well.

#8 Edited by Aegon (5548 posts) -

3 & 4

Because I didn't play the first two. Neither was perfect, but both were amazing with some truly great moments. The last fight in 4 was very close to perfect though.

Also, blew all the crazy? Are you kidding me? That one dude in Ground Zeroes has a burnt face and that one dude in Phantom Pain doesn't have an arm...but he feels its phantom.

#9 Posted by Winternet (8015 posts) -

Stealth is for suckers.

#10 Edited by FFFFFFF (75 posts) -

I fall as really liking them all. No divide here.

#11 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4728 posts) -

I really liked 2, 3, 4, and Peace Walker.

#12 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2217 posts) -

1&3. The first Metal Gear Solid is my absolute favorite and MGS3 truly made me feel like a predator stalking its prey.

#13 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

I love them all but I've never actually played 4! Glad to see another 2 lover.

#14 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2530 posts) -

Err - my ranking would be;

1. 1 & 4
  2. 3
  3. 2

But I like all of them, so I didn't vote.

#15 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I've only ever played the first game, so that's my choice. It's an excellent game that holds up surprisingly well today.

#16 Posted by Tajasaurus (846 posts) -

I have only finished the first game and emulated a lot of the first. The second was rad. I played the tanker a whole buncha times, yo.

#17 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10922 posts) -

Why can't, "I like all of the MGS games except the part where you play MGS2 because the level design is awful" be an option? Hell, I even liked playing Portable Ops more than MGS2!

But given those options... As much as I like the insanity of MGS2 and MGS4, I have to go with 1 and 3.

Actually, no that's a lie.

PEACE WALKER.

#18 Posted by Vextroid (1391 posts) -

@isomeri said:

Sons of Liberty and MGS1 are probably my favorites.

#19 Posted by probablytuna (3628 posts) -

I love Guns of the Patriots, but it can't be MGS due to nostalgia and Snake Eater due to it telling a better (and less insane story).

#20 Edited by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

It's tough. Snake Eater's probably the best in the franchise. But I like the pair of 2 and 4 more than the pair of 1 and 3. Fucking can't stand to go back and play 1 now.

#21 Posted by cmblasko (1203 posts) -

Sons of Liberty (2) is my favorite MGS. Peace Walker and Snake Eater are probably tied for 2nd.

#22 Edited by supamon (1333 posts) -

I have to mention Ghost Babel here because it's a terrific little game that never gets mentioned.

I prefer 1 & 3 but I love them all except for 4 which retconned a ton of stuff and am just glad there's going to be more MGS madness.

#23 Edited by hidys (1029 posts) -

3>4>2>1 So this poll is bullshit.

#24 Edited by Demoskinos (14779 posts) -

I like all of them but I'm not insane here like Jeff. 1&3 is where its really at.

#25 Edited by Petiew (1346 posts) -

@hidys said:

Yeah, this. I really don't think 1 holds up as well as many people say it does.

#26 Edited by rentacop (107 posts) -

I've only played through 1 and 2 so far. 2 was the first game I got for ps2 back in late 2001 so I'm sure even after playing the rest my opinion will still be slanted towards it. Besides the memorable boss fights, 1 just wasn't very fun. Was planning on beating 3 and 4 before R:R just to get fully caught up on the series but that didn't happen.

#27 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

@petiew said:

@hidys said:

Yeah, this. I really don't think 1 holds up as well as many people say it does.

I actually think 1 holds up very well. I just happen to think the others are all better than it.

#28 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1633 posts) -

@hidys said:

My opinion looks a little more like this 3=4>2>1 Now Metal Gear Ac!d... that's a whole 'nother story!

#29 Edited by johncallahan (559 posts) -

I abstain from answering. 3 is my absolute favorite (one of my favorite games of all time), but outside of that I like 2 & 4 a lot more than one. 3 > 4 > 2 > 1.

#30 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

B-but what about Peace Walker?

#31 Posted by BisonHero (6453 posts) -

@mooseymcman said:

Why can't, "I like all of the MGS games except the part where you play MGS2 because the level design is awful" be an option? Hell, I even liked playing Portable Ops more than MGS2!

The level design is SO awful! And dull; Big Shell was a terribly boring place to be. Also I think it has the worst boss design of the series.

#32 Posted by TooWalrus (13178 posts) -

RAIDENNNN!

#33 Edited by Yummylee (21562 posts) -

1 & 3 for sure. Though I've probably played MGS2 the most. The 12 or so year old me was blown away by that game; I would literally complete it, then start over again, complete, start over. I even collected all of the dog tags, too. MGS4 took the stupid too far, though. While it has some great moments (Rex vs Ray; Snake vs Liquid Ocelot; microwave hallway), I'm not really a fan of the overall picture.

Peace Walker's OK, but the main problem I have with that is how the stealth gameplay was watered-down to such an insane degree. Still haven't even completed it yet, though I really oughta soon.

#34 Edited by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

I like them all but 1 and 3 are definitely the standouts.

#35 Posted by FLYmeatwad (154 posts) -

MGS2 is the best game I've ever played, so probably that option.

MGS2 > MGS > MGS4 > MGS3

All fantastic. Not sure why people are so down on the MGS fiction, thematically it's some of the most complex I've seen across all mediums. The text and subtext are both so rich. The complaint I've always heard about 2 is that it's too difficult to follow, but I didn't find it all that hard to keep track of, it seems fairly straightforward as long as you pay attention to the cut scenes. What I love about MGS, aside from the thematic depth that is so lacking in even the best of other games, is that everything is self contained. It's not like the junk Valve or Blizzard pull, littering fiction in ARGs or extended fiction, or the moral simplicity of something like Mass Effect. The scripts in MGS games are so tight, focused, and layered that I'm not sure how it being a little heavy handed can be considered a bad thing. Well, aside from the sad realization that, even though the games reflect on postmodern tradition and blend that with traditional story telling to create a stunningly underappreciated hybrid text (though I guess hybridity can be considered bad as easily as it can be considered good), any form of sincerity is laughed at even when it does make large artistic strides.

#36 Edited by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I really really like all of them so this is though, but I think it would be 3, 4, 1 and 2 for me. It's been a while since I've played them so maybe my memories a little fuzzy.

#37 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7082 posts) -

I really like all of them.

#38 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

all

#39 Posted by dabe (299 posts) -

1 & 2. 4 isn't worth the discussion.

#40 Edited by LassieME (230 posts) -

I like 2 and 3, but not 4 for some reason.

#41 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I like 1 and 3, and everybody seems to forget those games also had crazy dumb shit in them too. For example:

• "So, you like to play Castlevania?"
  • Checking the back of the box for Meryl's codec number
  • "Hurt me more!"
  • "Can love bloom on the battlefield?"
  • Bee guns
  • Beating The Fear entirely through poisonous or rotten food
  • Not playing the game for 7 days to let The End die of old age
#42 Edited by kpaadet (410 posts) -

@morbid_coffee: By "crazy dumb" I hope you really mean totally awesome.

#43 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Kojima isn't flipping off gamers and fans with MGS2, he's flipping off video games and the narrow set of expectations that we seem have about them.

#44 Edited by BoOzak (909 posts) -

@morbid_coffee: I'd also count Volgin as one of the dumbest characters in the series, but to be fair, how are you supposed to beat Hot Coldman?

(you can also shoot The End prior to the boss fight but I was never sadistic enough to go through with it)

My favourites are MGS1&2. I always prefered the more linear levels and the absence of the soliton radar saddened me.

Oh, I almost forgot about Ivan Raidenovitch Raikov! (yeah MGS is stupid, but I love it ;p)

#45 Edited by Nilazz (613 posts) -

Ask me again in a couple of years when I can give you the answer 6 & 9.

#46 Posted by Soap (3579 posts) -

This Poll is terrible, give more options than that!

#47 Edited by GunstarRed (5128 posts) -

I didn't even read the text and I knew what the poll was asking of me... 2&4. I find it incredibly hard deciding which of those is better though.

#48 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

I think 1 is pretty overrated as well; so it's basically 3 by itself (though 3 and Peacewalker works too). Good for you playing a mediocre game for 10 straight hours or whatever; shame you didn't play Uncharted 2 or Super Metroid instead.

#49 Edited by Nightriff (5041 posts) -

I don't get the question so 1 & 3(?) cause 3 is my favorite...that the right answer?

#50 Posted by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

I voted 2 and 4 because 2 is the best game ever created. But 3 is way better than 4, it has the best and least convoluted story of the whole series.