So did that sell anyone on becoming a Whiskey Media Subscriber?

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By falling_fast

@KarlPilkington said:

The premium stream was better than the show at a lot of points.

this. I actually spent more of the day watching the premium stream than the actual show.

Kinsella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Kinsella

No, not really. That chiptune band was a nightmare, but the rest of the show was cool. I just don't have the disposable income to subscribe right now.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By dtat

@CaLe said:

I never became a subscriber for anything extra. I just wanted to support Giant Bomb, simple as that really. I don't need extra reasons.

QFT

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By RoyCampbell
@Kinsella said:
No, not really. That chiptune band was a nightmare, but the rest of the show was cool. I just don't have the disposable income to subscribe right now.
But it's only the price of a few candy bars!! Go without them and quit being cheap!!11
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

They woulda sold me way earlier if they add some better paypal support for 1/3/6/12 months instead of just POW 12 months.

I'm a poor student yo.

Ragnarok512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Ragnarok512

I think first and foremost the BLLSL is about having fun and saying thanks to the users. Honestly, it's way better if you don't think about it as a sales pitch. But hey, if you don't like it you don't like it, not really a problem with that. I personally enjoyed it immensely.

thaijedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By thaijedi

Upgraded from monthly to yearly!

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By X19

Nope.

The Bombcast is all I need.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By wickedsc3

This thread is going to be bad. There are going to be so many ass kisser posting shit. Thinking they are awesome because they are a member and if you don't join you are cheap or blah blah blah, its pretty sad.

Bottom line if u like the site then join, if not don't. Pretty simple.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I want to so bad! But I can't.  

I am sad now.  

EDIT: I have wanted to real bad since last year when they started. But I want to more now. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't have enough money to spend to give simply as a gift to Giant Bomb for the content they've provided me. I've been very entertained by what's come out of this site, but the BLLSL didn't convey why I would want to be a subscriber at all. The only thing I would gain by subscribing at this moment would be being able to watch the already recorded SNES Party and the Dave/Vinny Random PC Game video. There's literally nothing else I would care for other than those things. 

So no, the Big Live Live Show failed at making me become a subscriber, even though I anticipated I was going to subscribe immediately after it was over earlier in the week.

Kinsella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Kinsella
@RoyCampbell
I hear ya man, I love the site and all. But really, things are kinda bad right now, or else I would sign up in a heartbeat. Having food on the table and keeping the lights on are my main concerns right now. I had some major surgery almost a year ago, been unable to work, still trying to regain my health back. Honestly, this is one of my favorite sites right now, but I just don't have the money to subscribe.  No disrespect intented man.
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Zimbo

I subbed today before the live show even started. Don't know why. I guess it was just a spur of the moment thing on top of being excited for the live show and wanting to support a website that has given me so many hours of entertainment.

Do I regret it? Absolutely not! In fact I am really glad I did subscribe as the behind the scenes member cam made the live show twice as enjoyable. The embiggen feature is really useful as well. My monitor is big enough so that the default small video is too small and full screen without HD was too blurry. Now it's perfect.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@wickedsc3 said: 

This thread is going to be bad. There are going to be so many ass kisser posting shit. Thinking they are awesome because they are a member and if you don't join you are cheap or blah blah blah, its pretty sad.

We're 4 pages in and the only person who has indicated that this will happen is you.
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I've been wanting to subscribe for awhile now, but I don't have nearly sufficient gold pieces for such an endeavor. 

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By turbomonkey138

As soon as they announced a way for me to give them money I did it instantly. I love giantbomb and always will :)

The stuff I get as extra for subscribing is just gravy as far as i'm concerned.

afjkidd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By afjkidd5

I subscribe to the site in the hope of seeing more stuff like the SNES party. Even if the stream lulled in certain spots, I am glad to support the site just because they are willing to spend that much time and effort to put something together that lasted that long. As much as I love games, it would be really hard to be that enthusiastic for that amount of time. I also have issues with subscribing to a site, much as I do for paying for things like MMOs on a monthly basis. I think I support the site because these guys are doing what I would love to do for a living and they do it well. Since I would appreciate the support if I were in their position, I feel like I am doing something worthwhile that provides me with hours of entertainment and ensures that these talented individuals are allowed to keep doing what they're doing for years to come!

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Edin899
@DonPixel said:

@Edin899 said:

@DonPixel said:

@RazielCuts: Ohh god this nonsense again. Just support Whiskey Media so we don't have advertiser's doing "editorial overviews" like they do on IGN, Gamespot or any other major videogame site HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND?

The funky dumb shit they do in the videos is just a plus.

Totally bro because Giantbomb is the only site on the world with genuine people that will never lie to you. Everybody else is just evil !........................................................ :/

Have you been hurt before, why are you so insecure? I trust in my judgement, I believe in what they doing as a website in a sea of internet crap so I support it because I can.

I prefer to pay $50 a year for a clean, polish, well designed, quality content site that being hurting my eyes in 5 pages reviews fill with verizon advertising.

lol what? Have i been hurt before?  Yeah Ok you just go ahead and Trust in your Judgement. Dumbass
UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By UnrealDP

@Mystyr_E said:

I'll probably get it from people but no. Weird as it sounds, I don't give money to any website

Wow, it's people like you who hold everyone back simply because you're too afraid to give to anything you can't see (i don't know if that's really your reason and maybe i'm being insensitive, but come on man). I don't know your reasons for being scarred of the internet, but please be open to new ideas instead of rejecting them.

@RazielCuts:

Boy, no matter how good something is there is always room to nit pick right? They had to keep up a live stream for an entire day, so you were expecting there to be no low point? I loved the show and they pimped a lot of members content from Tested announcing their new members content to the second stream being awesome and members only. How could this show have gone better for you? Heck the majority of it was for nonmembers and with the uproar from free users about the new content being members only, how can they please you guys?

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By Lautaro

@FluxWaveZ said:

@wickedsc3said:

We're 4 pages in and the only person who has indicated that this will happen is you.

See

@project343 said:

Quit being cheap, and support these dudes.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By napalm

Nope, and I probably never will unless they hire more tech people to fix shit on the website. It's great you guys get your whole "radio Dave" thing, it just sucks that a lot of problems voiced have been ignored.

Also, it feels weird that people are willing to subscribe for features that are virtually free on every other website. This was their chance to do something unique or different, and instead we got, "hey, pay us a premium to watch us play videogames and talk!" I didn't use to have to pay you guys for that, and that doesn't substitute "premium content". 

I have the Bombcast, Klepek's news stories and conference coverage, so I'm pretty much set.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By unchained

@Dylabaloo said:

I want to support something I think is awesome, I became a member as soon as it was available because they have given me so much laughs and content that I feel they have more than justified the 50 or so dollars I will pay every year. I really enjoyed the Live show and i'm sure that more varied subscriber will be ahoy every week from now on.

Same.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By wickedsc3

@FluxWaveZ said:

@wickedsc3said:

Really did u even read any of the other posts. There is one dude saying strait up "stop being cheap".

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By DonPixel

@Edin899: insults, classy.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#75  Edited By Strife777

Member since the start. Member until the end.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By TehBuLL

@ErinIsADrunk said:

Why would anyone pay $50 to watch Will or Norm to shove hard boiled eggs in their mouths?

What kind of silly questions is this? $50 easy.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@wickedsc3@Lautaro: I read the thread, but I didn't perceive that comment as giving an air of superiority because he's a subscriber. Thinking about it again, though, I'm probably wrong.
CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#78  Edited By CastroCasper

I thought it was a pretty great show overall. I mean some of it was a little rough but shit, it was 8 hours of content and I laughed a lot. I am glad someone else thought that "Eat

Your Words" was weird. I think Will should of at least at a raw egg. What's the fun in watching him eat his words when he enjoys it? I thought they were kidding when they said that would be one of the new subscriber only series. Like what would be the next one? Norm writes on a box of Pocky and eats it?

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Mrsignerman44
@Napalm said:

Nope, and I probably never will unless they hire more tech people to fix shit on the website. It's great you guys get your whole "radio Dave" thing, it just sucks that a lot of problems voiced have been ignored. Also, it feels weird that people are willing to subscribe for features that are virtually free on every other website. This was their chance to do something unique or different, and instead we got, "hey, pay us a premium to watch us play videogames and talk!" I didn't use to have to pay you guys for that, and that doesn't substitute "premium content".  I have the Bombcast, Klepek's news stories and conference coverage, so I'm pretty much set.

This.  100x this. 

@DonPixel said: 

@Edin899 said:

@DonPixel said:

@RazielCuts: Ohh god this nonsense again. Just support Whiskey Media so we don't have advertiser's doing "editorial overviews" like they do on IGN, Gamespot or any other major videogame site HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND?

The funky dumb shit they do in the videos is just a plus.

Totally bro because Giantbomb is the only site on the world with genuine people that will never lie to you. Everybody else is just evil !........................................................ :/

Have you been hurt before, why are you so insecure? I trust in my judgement, I believe in what they doing as a website in a sea of internet crap so I support it because I can.

I prefer to pay $50 a year for a clean, polish, well designed, quality content site that being hurting my eyes in 5 pages reviews fill with verizon advertising.

I think saying "Have you been hurt before?" was a pretty big inductive leap from what the guy above you said. You're being pretty defensive.
RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By RazielCuts
@UnrealDP said:

@Mystyr_E said:

I'll probably get it from people but no. Weird as it sounds, I don't give money to any website

Wow, it's people like you who hold everyone back simply because you're too afraid to give to anything you can't see (i don't know if that's really your reason and maybe i'm being insensitive, but come on man). I don't know your reasons for being scarred of the internet, but please be open to new ideas instead of rejecting them.

@RazielCuts:

Boy, no matter how good something is there is always room to nit pick right? They had to keep up a live stream for an entire day, so you were expecting there to be no low point? I loved the show and they pimped a lot of members content from Tested announcing their new members content to the second stream being awesome and members only. How could this show have gone better for you? Heck the majority of it was for nonmembers and with the uproar from free users about the new content being members only, how can they please you guys?

I think the production team did an excellent job of keeping everything  tight, together and pulling off the super long live stream like they did. My problem was with the content, which Giant Bomb isn't really to be be blamed for as their segments were generally pretty good.  

Everyone is saying the second stream was awesome but don't you think they should of opened that up to everyone, say for the first hour or more, so the non subs could see what they were missing? How am I supposed to clamour for something I know nothing of? 

Final thoughts - Jean Boudin plus Chainsaw doing renditions of Guiles and the Mortal Kombat theme's are examples of good content, Will and Norm eating eggs and 'testing' As Seen on TV stuff is not. 
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By laserbolts
@Mystyr_E
There is nothing weird about not wanting to give money to something you don't want to.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#82  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@RazielCuts said:

@Sooty said:

Dave Radio Show was why I subbed

See I've heard of that before but I'm not even sure what that is. I think they should of unlocked everything to non subs today, like the redphone and whatever else was going as 'This is your taste, you like it? Subscribe for more' it was a missed opportunity. Free to play model people.

Basically any subscriber can call on the phone and talk to Dave for 5-10 minutes and talk about whatever, it doesn't sound like much but usually most of the callers are cool and it's like having another podcast each week (it's usually an hour+).

dougmansion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83  Edited By dougmansion

I said it last year, and I'll say it again: I get 5+ hours of entertainment from Whiskey podcasts alone. I don't that amount of entertainment from the cable I pay for. If my $50 keeps them doing what they're doing, I'm fine with that.

I understand the notion of not wanting to pay for something if you won't use/like the features, but I like the personalities and the current content enough that I want to support them. Anything extra is gravy.

If the BLLS:L didn't sell you, I'd still encourage you to sub for a month and see what features you like. Worst comes to worst you're out $5, but it went to a site that you probably already enjoy. If even $5 isn't worth it, well then, I don't know what to say, but to each his own.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By wickedsc3

@FluxWaveZ said:

@wickedsc3: @Lautaro: I read the thread, but I didn't perceive that comment as giving an air of superiority because he's a subscriber. Thinking about it again, though, I'm probably wrong.

Its not about right or wrong, hell maybe Im wrong and taking it the wrong way. But alot of these type of "Member" threads just rub me the wrong way. It just seems dirty too me to say stuff to no member like "who cares what the content is Subscribe because they are cool dudes". Not everyone has money to throw away espically people who are on a game site. Also, I think non members help these guys out too, if not for non members then no one would be viewing the ads and then they would have to rely solely on Member money to run the site, which would probably cause Subscriptions costs to go up.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By prestonhedges
@wickedsc3 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@wickedsc3said:

Really did u even read any of the other posts. There is one dude saying strait up "stop being cheap".

People who don't subscribe are better than people who do. There you go.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#86  Edited By crusader8463

I still don't know why I subbed. I just found myself sitting at the screen typing in my CC number and next thing I knew I was a Goldie. I too was disappointed with the show all around, and only found the gold member stream even modestly interesting to watch; I found myself muting the BLLSL more than anything. 

Anyway, rather disappointed that they didn't tell us anything about what new content we will be getting. Seeing as how that was supposed to be the point of the entire show. It leaves me feeling like they don't even know themselves, and in a month or two they are just going to pull something out of their asses and hope for the best.

Time will tell.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87  Edited By mfpantst

Meh- I don't think OP's understood point of the show was the point of the show. That being said, if that's how he was thinking of the show, I get your point. I put my $$ in not for anything I really get extra (though downloading vids in HD is cool so is the mobile site, so is html5 shitz on the full site), but for the people, so in that regard, I agree with the OP. Except for your negativity towards other site's peoples. I kinda dig all them.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By coakroach

I missed the entire show thanks to timezones and a late night.

I signed up because I only just got a card I can use online, and I would have gotten a yearly subscription were it not for the fact that I am poor as fuuuuuuuck right now.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#89  Edited By Vinny_Says

People sure like to "support" the WM family....why not also have a supplementary donate button that subscribers can use because they demand it?

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Liam_mk

I never payed because it's not something i think is valuable for me right now.  The extra stuff generally seems to be just that, extra. While I enjoy these people and support them with all my heart, that's all i'll be supporting them with for now. That being said, I respect the people who pay for this site a great deal because right now it seems that they are paying solely to help Giantbomb which is ammmaziiingz! 
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#92  Edited By ajamafalous

So it was just a longer Happy Hour again like last year? Glad I didn't watch. I really don't like the Happy Hour format at all. I'd rather see well produced videos relevant to the site than some hastily put-together segments that aren't even related to the site at all.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#93  Edited By Deusx

You know what, there may be people who will act like ass holes to you for saying that but I will not. I think your opinion is valid and my answer is yes. It sold me but it didn't got me as excited as last year's BLLSL. Why? Well, because that was the first time we were watching so many shenanigans coming from those guys. Now we have all seen the Happy Hours a thousand times. It's really hard for this guys to make something they haven't done already. I think it was really entertaining. Just not as good as the first time.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By DonPixel

@Liam_mk said:

I never payed because it's not something i think is valuable for me right now. The extra stuff generally seems to be just that, extra. While I enjoy these people and support them with all my heart, that's all i'll be supporting them with for now. That being said, I respect the people who pay for this site a great deal because right now it seems that they are paying solely to help Giantbomb which is ammmaziiingz!

Fair argurments, The thing that pisses me off is people not understanding the paid model is basically a substitute to avoid Advertising Dependence which lead to ugly ugly things in the internet. Ryan and Jeff has said it many times: We prefer to be in bussines with our users than with some advertising agency or a PR dude from X publisher.

As you said the extras are not that great, I don't even watch the happy hour or TNT that much myself as I prefere to waste my free time actually playing games.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#95  Edited By Mystyr_E

I'm with several of the people that posted. It's not that I don't appreciate the quality and time they're putting into the site but nothing so far has made me go "well shit, now I need to pay". And it's not as if they need my 50$ anyway, my bills need my 50$, my groceries and house things need it. Money is tight and I know others can afford it but I can't. Now if this was the basement era, I most likely would've paid but TNT has been getting stale, I never enjoyed Happy Hour and even Quick Looks have become less zany and bugnuts crazy. I appreciate the thought but watching people watch bad movies, make bacon and listening to a bad chiptune band isn't what I had in mind 

Edit: hm...flameshield now or later?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Dany

I am content with my subscription, HD video downloads are great must mostly it is supporting this website and to allow them to do more dumb crazy shit.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#97  Edited By billyhoush

Seriously who has time to watch grown men act like they are college kids....oh 

I'm sold once the new yearly member's t-shirts come out this month. Giant Bomb is the only video game website I visit so I want to support them regardless.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Rahf

No, it didn't sell me to become a member. Unfortunately quite a few of the segments felt.. hodge-podged. Perhaps good ideas on paper, but very lackluster when it came to actual execution.  It did feel a bit too much like a lengthened Happy Hour. 

Also guys, don't complaining about the other sites being a part of the B.L.L.S.L. it's Whiskey Media, not Giant Bomb. The segments, sure. Not all of the viewers are there for game-related stuff though. 

Enjoyable, but definitely not what the hype made it out to be. Unfortunately.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Liam_mk
@DonPixel said:

@Liam_mk said:

I never payed because it's not something i think is valuable for me right now. The extra stuff generally seems to be just that, extra. While I enjoy these people and support them with all my heart, that's all i'll be supporting them with for now. That being said, I respect the people who pay for this site a great deal because right now it seems that they are paying solely to help Giantbomb which is ammmaziiingz!

Fair argurments, The thing that pisses me off is people not understanding the paid model is basically a substitute to avoid Advertising Dependence which lead to ugly ugly things in the internet. Ryan and Jeff has said it many times: We prefer to be in bussines with our users than with some advertising agency or a PR dude from X publisher.

As you said the extras are not that great, I don't even watch the happy hour or TNT that much myself as I prefere to waste my free time actually playing games.

How cool is that? How fudging amazing is it that they do their business directly with their fanbase and not with some mysterious middle man?! I'm probably going to make to jump at some point because I'm the guy who always pays for music and movies and supports his favourite brands.
UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By UnrealDP

@RazielCuts:

So your saying that you think it should have been open for an 8th of the entire show? That game was thrown together just so paying members could feel like we were getting something and it was awesome! Why do you feel the internet entitlement effect of " They've given us thousands of hours of content for free and i've given them basicly nothing in return, now they're locking small amounts of content away which i feel i'm entitled to for some reason!!!" Also you say you knew nothing about what the second stream was when every 30 minutes or so someone would explain the crazy going on in the other stream trying to try to convince you to sign up you know like buisness men who know what they are doing. Your complaint is that you wanted to more free content even though you were just handed 8 hours of it.......

The only points you bring up about the content are "I hated the Comic vine segment!" which you shouldn't account to shallow writing, that segment was great, but hey maybe comics aren't your thing, so don't blame the quality. Last you really only bring up the short Tested segment that took up a very small amount of time and was the low point of the show (yet it was still great) just to take up a bit of time before their grand finale which, you have to agree, was great!