So i’m new to this PC gaming thing and i need your help

rniemeijer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hello Giant bomb people,

So here’s the deal, I've never really played any games on the PC. I've been a console gamer since the early PlayStation 1 days, and except for a month of WoW i never played any games on a PC.

Recently i bought a fairly decent PC of a friend of mine, He is going to Australia for a couple of years to travel and work, so he wanted to get rid of it. He also really wanted a Vita so i traded him my Vita plus like €500 for his PC After some digging around on the internet i’m almost certain that this thing is pretty decent. Even tho i don’t know shit about Pc’s. But i feel pretty good about this deal.

So now i’m looking for some great PC games to play, i don’t really know where to start since there are so much games. The only game that i’m going to buy for certain is Diablo 3, that’s because i saw that game at my friends place.

So i’m looking for some recommendations, i should note that i play my shooters on the console So i’m not really looking for shooters on the PC So if anyone could give me some recommendations for awesome PC games that would be great.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Really depends. What is are your favorite genre's to play? How about list those so folks can make some suggestions based on that? Most games on console are also on PC. Really only games that are still pretty pc exclusive are RTS, mmo's and certain indie titles.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Here are some games I've played a lot my PC: Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, Civilization V, Battlefield 3 (I know you said no shooters, but damn does this game look nice), Age of Empires III, XCOM Enemy Unkown. Otherwise, you might as well try out the trial for WOW, just to say you've played it (same for League of Legends, although I hear the community is a bunch of asshats). If you like strategy games, I hear Starcraft 2 is pretty damn good.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

For the record, you can just plug a controller in and most modern shooters will automatically switch all of their button prompts to it and it will be no different from console shooters.

You should play

• Portal
  • Portal 2
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • The Witcher
  • The Witcher 2
  • Torchlight
  • Torchlight 2
  • Deus Ex
  • FEAR (you'll have to use a mouse and keyboard for this one. Get used to it, it's better once you do)
  • Legend of Grimrock
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Skyrim
  • Oblivion
  • Fallout 3/New Vegas
  • Crysis
rniemeijer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rniemeijer

@kidavenger:

I will check out your list, about the PC specs this is what i could find via Dxdiag. Like i said pretty new to all of this.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~4.5GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16334MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

@mr402:

I like strategy/Rts, Rpg’s, kinda want to try an MMO leaning towards SWTOR but not really sure about that one. Action games also fine by me.

@banefirelord:

So Civilization V, looks pretty good, i played a ton of Civ:Rev on the Xbox, Civ V is probably way crazier, but looks cool.

Skyrim, played that game to death on the XBox, is it worth buying this game again just for mods and dicking around with cheats and such ?

Also is Starcraft 2 strictly single player worth it ?

rniemeijer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rniemeijer

@believer258:

• Portal
  • Portal 2 - never really liked puzzlegames, now i know there is more to them, but still.
  • Dragon Age Origins - played that on xbox
  • The Witcher - I really liked The Witcher 2, figures there is a Witcher 1 ^^
  • The Witcher 2- played this on xbox
  • Torchlight- Played this on Xbox, is the oc version different or should i play Torchlight 2 ?
  • Torchlight 2
  • Deus Ex - I liked Human Revolution, will check this one out
  • FEAR (you'll have to use a mouse and keyboard for this one. Get used to it, it's better once you do) Will check the internet for this one
  • Legend of Grimrock Ditto
  • Sleeping Dogs played this on Xbox
  • Skyrim ditto
  • Oblivion ditto
  • Fallout 3/New Vegas ditto
  • Crysis ditto
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rniemeijer:

That's a bangin' PC. Should be able to run whatever you throw at it, no sweat.

My recommendation for building your PC game library would be to browse the Steam store for daily deals and check out whatever looks cool. Never buy anything for full price.

The Humble Bundle is a good way to get tons of cool indie games for a reasonable price. Their deals change less frequently than Steam but keep an eye on the site anyway.

Check out pretty much every game in Valve's catalog that came out after Half-Life 2 (this includes HL2).

Starcraft 2 is great for the single player campaign alone. Even if you're not into competitive multiplayer, there are a ton of goofy, fun co-op multiplayer maps.

More games at random:

If you don't already have one, think about getting a wired 360 controller or wireless controller+receiver. There are a handful of games that play better with a controller but this is by no means a requirement for your PC.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@rniemeijer: Skyrim is 100% worth buying again on PC; the mods are effing amazing. Just take a gander at this mod, for instance. As for Starcraft, I actually haven't played it (I'm not a big fan of strategy games that aren't Age of Empires or Civilization games), but from everything I've heard the single player is well worth it, especially since WoL is now only about $40.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@rniemeijer: Yes StarCraft 2 is great in single player. Both campaigns are solid. After that try Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II.

Civ V is awesome but make sure to grab the Gods and Kings expansion. Maybe the Gold Edition includes everything.

Pikawai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For strategy:

• Total war series
  • Civilization 5
  • Anno series
  • Crusader King
  • XCOM Ennemy Unknown

For RPG:

• Mass Effect series
  • Fallout 3 and New Vegas
  • Dragon Age 1 only
  • Torchlight 2

Guild Wars 2 is a very good MMO (I've played it) you only have to pay for the game, there is no subscription. Or you can play TERA it's become free to play recently.

You can always check reviews online, there are only a few for pc on giantbomb https://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/?platform=PC

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have basically the exact same PC as me! Here's what I recommend, but I think they've all already been mentioned.

• Guild Wars 2
  • Dark Souls
  • FTL
  • Sleeping Dogs (so awesome on the PC)
  • The Witchers
  • Tropico 4
SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SamStrife

@rniemeijer: Congrats dude, at the start of this thread I was worried you were going to post your PC specs and it would look like you got ripped off, but that PC will blitz anything fairly easily in this day and age.

Get yourself on Steam and check out Green Man Games, they always have awesome sales on great games.

People in here have already recommended all the greats so I won't add to the list just yet.

I will say however, that if you ever want to play multiplayer, or just have a chat, come on over to the Gaming Hub. We always welcome new dudes and we're constantly just having a good time and a mess around.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Binding of Isaac.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half-Life

Half-Life 2 + episodes 1 and 2

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By fox01313

Steam has sales quite often on a few titles here & there but there are some larger events where they put just about everything on sale (one near July I believe & one in December), best advice is to go through that as well as Good Old Games to see what looks interesting, add to a wishlist & then visit a few sites to see if the game is worth it. Most of what's on here so far have been good suggestions to at least demo or look up more to find out on them. Good luck :)

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I heard that SimCity-game is the rage right now.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seconding Total War. Specifically, Shogun 2. Ideally, the Fall of the Samurai X-pac.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seconding Total War. Specifically, Shogun 2. Ideally, the Fall of the Samurai X-pac.

Although with it so close shouldn't you wait to see how Rome 2 is?

I second BF3, even though you said no shooters the difference between the console and PC version is huge.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you like strategy games and city-builder-esque games I highly recommend Anno 2070. Been playing it far too much since I bought it less then a week ago and It's fantastic.

D2Girls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

simcity, deadspace 3, mass effect 3, dragon age origins are all great games that run really good on pc hardware good luck

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Caustic_Fox

-Descent series (Of course)

-The Penumbra series

-MYST series

-Battlefield series

-Emulators (Shhh...)

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius: Did they push it back or something? I'll admit I haven't paid that close attention to it in the past coupple months.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dystopiax: Renowned gaming site giantbomb.com has it listed as October.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JZ

Be an asshole to anyone that does not play games on a PC and walk around with a sense that you are better than everyone else. Those are my tips for people new to PC gameing.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BlatantNinja23

Steam sales are going to be great for you because you'll be so new to everything. You'll be able to hit up the publisher bundles without feeling like you're just buying duplicates.

So unless you ended up getting Orange Box on consoles, I think The Valve Pack is a must pick up. Currently it's $99, but a steam sale will give that bundle a large discount. I wanna say that's been 50% off but that might be going a little too far. I know you say you don't like puzzle games, but Portal 2 is different enough that I think you should give it a chance. It's also never too late to get into Team Fortress 2.

Unfortunately I don't think the THQ Bundle exists anymore, which is too bad cause that's probably the most bang for your buck bundle they always had. So instead I'll just list the 2 games that alone made it worth it. They're a tad on the older side, but still great.

• Company of Heroes (Plus Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor)
  • Dawn of War 2 (Plus Chaos Rising and Retribution)

and then also Civ 5. This will all keep you busy for quite a long time.