So, is Thursday Night Throwdown retired?

• 61 results
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So hey, I have a thursday off for the first time in what seems like awhile and noticed that there hasn't been a TNT since the final one that they did with Ryan before his wedding. Have they said anything officially about retiring the show? I mean I know that it was sort of Ryan's show and all with him hosting but I'd have hope that it would have lived on.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

I would wait until we start seeing real releases. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing one for Saints Row.

Or maybe not. Who knows.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Maybe in the fall when more multiplayer games are out. I don't think there's been a lot of candidates lately.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By musubi

@jayeh said:

Maybe in the fall when more multiplayer games are out. I don't think there's been a lot of candidates lately.

Hey, man, Dragon's Crown resents that.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't you know Giant Bomb doesn't plan anything. They might have retired it. They might have replaced it with Daily DOTA. Who the fuck knows.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@jayeh said:

None of them had any interest in that game, to the point where they had to call in a ringer to do a QL for them.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thursday Night Dota. Right now this is what we got.

Man I would love a real TNT thought. Dota just doesn't doin' it for me anymore.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Yeah I seriously miss TNT. I don't think they ever did a Trackmania Valley TNT, right? That, and I hope that at long last they might actually play ArmA when ArmA II releases officially soon. My god that would be glorious.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By BlackLagoon

I'd really like to see a Payday 2 TNT. Been hooked on the original since I got it free on Plus, so it'd be fun to get a real impression what the new one's like.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Nothing real interesting has come out as of late.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Most of them usually seemed pretty bored on TNT, especially Jeff. They'd need to find a pretty janky co-op game for that show to be any interesting without Ryan.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

TNT was getting to be pretty redundant as it went on and was basically just a lesser weird and crazy Unprofessional Fridays. Though Hell, that's kinda what all of GB's video features are to be fair.

Losing TNT isn't an especially great loss in any case, but I would like to see a new weekly Thursday feature in return.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chiablo

Unpro Fridays is the evolution of TNT.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

TNT was getting to be pretty redundant as it went on and was basically just a lesser weird and crazy Unprofessional Fridays. Though Hell, that's kinda what all of GB's video features are to be fair.

Losing TNT isn't an especially great loss in any case, but I would like to see a new weekly Thursday feature in return.

You get DOTA

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee
@bocam said:

@yummylee said:

You get DOTA

D'oh.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By musubi

@demoskinos said:

@jayeh said:

None of them had any interest in that game, to the point where they had to call in a ringer to do a QL for them.

Which is a goddamn shame. But you're right.

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JunkHype

If there's no Divekick TNT then, it'll be time to panic.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd really like to see a Payday 2 TNT. Been hooked on the original since I got it free on Plus, so it'd be fun to get a real impression what the new one's like.

Seems that Jeff did not enjoy his time w/ it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

@yummylee said:

Agreed. With a few exceptions, I feel like a lot of the TNTs of the past year have been less about playing the shooter of the week with the community and more about them playing whatever... which is exactly what UPF is. I wouldn't cry if it was gone for good, and that last one with Game and Wario miiverse sketches may have been the best way for that feature to go out, really.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Barely noticed TNT was missing. I think it works better as a couch co-op show, they should do more of that, and just play with the community off-video at other times.

5Figh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its telling that I didn't notice it was gone

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I miss TNT. Its done.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I think the TNT concept is a still a good one (multiplayer madness), but it doesn't hurt to mix up the lineup occasionally.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'd be cool if they did more community stuff. I don't think I ever managed to get into a game when they did the multiplayer TNTs.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Someone asked Rorie on yesterday's live stream and his reply was basically that they're not going to do it for a while. He didn't say that it's gone completely.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fortune Street coming to the WiiU?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aetheldod

@chiablo said:

Yeah maybe , but thats premium and we the masses dont have it ... TNT was free for all

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad that it went on hiatus before ROTT came out. That game screams TNT.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We don't need to wait for new releases, the best TNT's ever were UT and Quake.

Genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Genfuyung

Thursday Night Mugen would be great.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thursday Night Mugen would be great.

Replace Daily Dota with Daily Saltybet. Just Jeff makin' bets and talking metagame and his betting strategy.

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo said:

Yeah maybe , but thats premium and we the masses dont have it ... TNT was free for all

Yeah, that's the downside for me. I don't have the scratch to pay for premium right now, so I'm gonna miss TNT.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BisonHero

Unprofessional Fridays is way more flexible than TNT, and also way more engaging for the staff members, as a sort of "show and tell" of whatever games, new or old, they want to play. The part where TNT was multiplayer (and preferably able to involve the community) was kind of limiting when the staff rarely commits to getting good at any one game, so it resulted in a lot of shows where one person barely felt competent to play the game online, and was just a weird stream of that guy getting obliterated while everyone else was barely interested in what he was doing.

On the other hand, it was a good feature to have guests on (Brad Muir, John Drake, Jared Rea, etc.), which Unpro Fridays doesn't have to quite the same degree. Also, bummer for non-premium members, as TNT is now one less free GB stream for them to watch.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By csl316

They could've just done Quake TNT's for the last month and I'd be happy. If they do a retirement show to commemorate the good times, Quake would be a fine choice.

Getting into a TNT was super fun (Twisted Metal, I'm looking at you), but I rarely watched them. It was all about listening to the conversations for me. Unless there were dueling games and everything was crazy.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Scotto

I hope it's not gone. And I certainly hope it hasn't been "replaced" by Daily Dota, a feature I have absolutely no interest in, that basically seems to exist as an excuse for Brad to play a bunch of Dota 2 at work every day. At this point, my eyes start to roll back into my head every time Brad starts talking about Dota on the Bombcast, or on a stream. I totally understand that some people like Daily Dota, and that's fine, but it's content targeted primarily at fans of one game.

I also don't buy that it's because of a lack of games. It's not like all they ever played on TNT was Triple-A barn burners - most of the best TNT's were exactly the opposite. If they want to take a break from them for a while that's okay, but it'd be nice to hear them devote a couple minutes on the podcast or something, explaining why.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Workload-wise, I'm guessing organizing another livestream like TNT is just too much right now without Ryan around. Maybe they'll get back to it eventually, but at the moment, they're short Patrick and Ryan as far as livestreams and the rest of the workload goes. I'm still a bit amazed they have the Bombcast as strong as it is right now; though, it definitely needs some help being reigned in a bit and finding that flow that Ryan provided. They'll get there.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Benny

I suspect there'll be divekick shenanigans and livestreams aplenty with all the new consoles and stuff coming out soon. It'll be back in one form or another.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By wrighteous86

I think it will be retired or change a lot in the near future.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'd rather just have them find a co-op game and have 2 of them play it for an hour and a half every thursday. I dunno man, have Vinny and Jeff play Crackdown for an hour, or Borderlands, or whatever random game they want and stream that out. It's simple to set up and doesn't require them to limit themselves to a single game (ER style) or alienate an entire portion of the audience (Daily Dota style).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I like Unprofessional Fridays better anyway. TNT was fun to watch sometimes, but other times they just seemed a bit bored. That Quake 3 TNT seems infinitely watchable.

However, seeing as how my Premium recently ran out and I don't have the money to pay for it again, it would be nice to see some kind of two hour long free stream like TNT was. Weren't the archives of TNT's premium and the live streams free? That would be a pretty awesome compromise.

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SpoogeMcduck

It seems like a lot of video to do with Friday and then TNT along with it so could just be hard to keep doing them both consistently...

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mrfluke

well id imagine that one would feel a bit weird for the guys as that was a show that Ryan hosted for the majority of the time. but according to jeff on tumblr, they are now getting back to the proper groove of things,

so yea, if divekick tnt doesnt happen then tnt might be over.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aviar

So far I prefer Unprofessional Fridays as it seems more adaptable then TNT was. TNT was more of the community playing multi-player games with the guys, which is great, but the format of UF seems much easier for them and can bring in a greater assortment of games.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think it'll be retired to a more "once in a while" thing than every week. Unprofessional Fridays is much more malleable and flexible than TNT. Toward the end, TNT was basically just a UF with a theme anyway. The crew rarely gave a shit about playing multiplayer with us anymore and we didn't really mind it either. The Brad Muir and Dave Lange TNTs? No community multiplayer, but still absolutely golden.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I really fine with it being retired for now. Unprofessional Friday's is much more fun to watch. Ideally though we would still have both though.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though I never participated in it, I always liked how TNT was a time set aside for the staff to play multiplayer games with the community. I still enjoyed it when it changed formats, and I recognized the desire for change. But while the final form of TNT closely resembled Unpro, I miss classic TNT and hope it makes a triumphant return someday.