So the SEGA arcade board is 785x more powerful than PS3/360...

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Hexpane

What are you gonna do about it?  So much for "future proof" consoles  " run two screens at 1920x1200"  The PS3XBOX360 can't even run ONE SCREEN AT 720p!  WTF

Sega

At Japan's AOU arcade expo held last week, Sega unveiled a couple of new arcade boards for use in upcoming games. One of which is the amazing-looking Border Break. So what are the specs?

A press release sent out by Sega shows that both boards are running Windows Embedded Home 2009, and that one is (as expected) called Ringedge, while the other is called Ringwide.

Ringedge is packing a 1.8ghz processor, 1GB of RAM and a 384MB Nvidia graphics card. Ringwide, meanwhile, has a 2ghz CPU, 1GB of SDRAM and a 128MB AMD GPU. Both can support 5.1 sound, and both can run two screens at 1920x1200.

If you'd like to take a look at the kind of things you can expect from Ringedge, meanwhile, check out the Border Break clip below.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Looks pretty badarse.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I want Sega to make a new home system. It would add flavor to our blanding console war.

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DXSSI

Sega's still got a fairly large footprint in the arcade business with its Gameworks franchise.  Too bad they're so sparsely located; the nearest one for me is a three-hour drive and across the state border.  And most people aren't even that lucky.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hexpane
Bullet_Jr said:
"I want Sega to make a new home system. It would add flavor to our blanding console war.
"
Flavor AND true next gen power.   Sega and Sony should get in bed, Sony could figure out how to make the Sega arcade board small and cheap enough for a home console ... well maybe the sony of 8 years ago could have.

Irony is that these specs are producing the results (dual screen TRU HD) that Sony promised 3 years ago, and Microsoft pretends to have.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Hold on, what spec are the PS3 and 360, I swear they were higher than that. Though it's been a long time since I last looked at them. Oh and I think this is footage of Border Breaker, doesn't look too shabby.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crunchUK

go buy one then- o wait they cost thousands of pounds. I think i9'll stick with my 360 thanks

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

I cannot see how this effects console future proofing.

Looks sweet though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Bullet_Jr said:
"I want Sega to make a new home system. It would add flavor to our blanding console war.
"
Agreed, that would kick ass.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Hexpane said:
"Bullet_Jr said:
"
Flavor AND true next gen power.   Sega and Sony should get in bed, Sony could figure out how to make the Sega arcade board small and cheap enough for a home console ... well maybe the sony of 8 years ago could have.

Irony is that these specs are producing the results (dual screen TRU HD) that Sony promised 3 years ago, and Microsoft pretends to have.
"
If there was going to be any collaboration with Sega, i'm sure that Nintendo will be the company to do so.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Kazona

I could've sworn the specs on both the 360 and the PS3 were higher than those you mentioned. Either way, there's no point in comparing this to a console because it simply isn't a console. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Kazona said:
"I could've sworn the specs on both the 360 and the PS3 were higher than those you mentioned. Either way, there's no point in comparing this to a console because it simply isn't a console. It's like comparing apples and oranges.
"
Agree. If anything, it just proves that arcade gaming is not dead, and should not be underestimated.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hexpane
Linkyshinks said:
"I cannot see how this effects console future proofing.

Current gen consoles can't render native 1080p 99% of the time.   Current gen HDTV specs are 1080p.  PC monitors are even greater resolution.  Sony specifically said their console was "TRUE HD FUTURE PROOF"  when clearly it is not even "present proof" when it can't even render games at 720native.  The 360 isn't any different other than they never really promised "future proof" they also do that scam of "1080p supported" which is meaningless and they hide the true native res of games. 

This arcade board can not only do native 1080p, it can do it on dual screens.. something neither XBOX or PS will ever be able to do.  Ergo the opposite of "future proof" the "next gen" consoles are "future gimped"

Imagine CO OP gaming on dual 1080p displays?  Compare that to what we have now, Co Op at 640p and barely 30fps
PLanter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PLanter

If you want next gen get a PC. Most gaming pc are more powerful than those arcade machines.

Pc are future proof.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hexpane
Kazona said:
"I could've sworn the specs on both the 360 and the PS3 were higher than those you mentioned. Either way, there's no point in comparing this to a console because it simply isn't a console. It's like comparing apples and oranges.
"
PS3 - 256 MB of XDR main memory and 256 MB of GDDR3 video memory for the RSX - very weak sauce for a GPU

360 - 512 MB of GDDR3RAM   but shared w/ CPU

Yes PCs are future proof, but Arcade boards are like consoles, fixed hardware, so much more analogous
Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#16  Edited By Eder

Oranges are so much better than apples. The Dreamcast 2 would make the earth explode.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince
Hexpane said:
"Linkyshinks said:

Current gen consoles can't render native 1080p 99% of the time.   Current gen HDTV specs are 1080p.  PC monitors are even greater resolution.  Sony specifically said their console was "TRUE HD FUTURE PROOF"  when clearly it is not even "present proof" when it can't even render games at 720native.  The 360 isn't any different other than they never really promised "future proof" they also do that scam of "1080p supported" which is meaningless and they hide the true native res of games. 

This arcade board can not only do native 1080p, it can do it on dual screens.. something neither XBOX or PS will ever be able to do.  Ergo the opposite of "future proof" the "next gen" consoles are "future gimped"

Imagine CO OP gaming on dual 1080p displays?  Compare that to what we have now, Co Op at 640p and barely 30fps
"
Don't make up statistics... The PS3 can run native 1080P on any game, as long as the developers find that to be the best resolution. The PS3 is True HD ready, but it's the developers who decide what resolution they want to make their game at. Metal Gear Solid 4, and the upcoming God of War III both run native 1080P, and there are more games as well. Also all your analogies are weak. Console co-op games are online, where as arcade games are co-op dual screen right beside each other linked directly...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks
Hexpane said:
"Linkyshinks said:

"

I know all that dude, I still cannot see how this effects consoles future proofing, Arcades and PC will always be platforms that will exceed technology in consoles, that's the way it's always been. Resolution output means little, if SEGA and others want games that use the platform over on consoles, they will simply port them over at reduced specs. As far as games that require two screens, I doubt they will come to console anyway.

The reason the platform can run two screens at that resolution is not solely the specs but equally the custom made drivers for XPe. Embedded XP can run with fewer processes than standard XP, customized drivers increase the efficiency of the parts involved, meaning you get more performance out of components than using a generic drivers.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hexpane
LiquidPrince said:

Don't make up statistics... The PS3 can run native 1080P on any game, as long as the developers find that to be the best resolution. The PS3 is True HD ready, but it's the developers who decide what resolution they want to make their game at. Metal Gear Solid 4, and the upcoming God of War III both run native 1080P, 

"
HAHAHAHAH OMG stop it w/ the jokes! 
What does Fallout 3 run at native on the PS3? 
What does Fallout 3 run at native on the PC w/ a graphics card that was released 3 years ago?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1087742#post1087742

What does Halo 3 run at native?
How about GTA4?
Call of Duty 4?  630p maybe, what about on a PC? 

You can make all the excuses you want, but native resolutions are factual specs. 

The developers "decide" should this game run at 1080p native at 2 frames per second, or 640p native at 28 frames per second... yeah really great choices there.  They have no choice, the gimped hardware forces them to dumb down the resolution and special effects.  Your kool aid speak is hilarious, so developers just "decide" that a lower resolution is "better"? 

GOWIII does not yet exist, I can't confirm or deny MGS4 native resolution, however if it does indeed run native at 1080p, go ahead and put that in the 0.1% pile of games that do.  Not to mention games like Ninja Gaiden actually run at the gimped -960X1080  NOT TRUE 1080p

Check your facts before you flame
ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ImpendingFoil

This is cool, but seeing as I live in the US the chances of me even seeing a game using this technology is almost slim to none.  Arcades might not be dead in Japan, but they are sure as hell close to it in the US.

But Virutal On with a new name does look really cool.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince
Hexpane said:
"LiquidPrince said:

Don't make up statistics... The PS3 can run native 1080P on any game, as long as the developers find that to be the best resolution. The PS3 is True HD ready, but it's the developers who decide what resolution they want to make their game at. Metal Gear Solid 4, and the upcoming God of War III both run native 1080P, 

"
What does Fallout 3 run at native on the PC w/ a graphics card that was released 3 years ago?
Buddy, that's not for lack of the PS3's ability. That's because it's easier to port to multiple consoles a game that is running at a lower resolution, while not having to optimize. If they were to work on the game longer and make the code more efficient, they could easily run the game in 1080P. Blame the developers, not the consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dreamcast 2 confirmed!

I wish ;_;

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By BigBoss1911
Bullet_Jr said:
"
Ya but it wouldent last for 6 months.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By AgentJ

I do miss Sega in the console business, but now they just make all of the games they would have for the wii anyways. Besides, now we get Mario versus Sonic in SSBB!

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Youre acting like it can pump out something 785x better looking than consoles
in reaity it's limit is whatever game's on it

Edit:  Wait a sec, how is that better speced than consoles?  That isn't aside from more ram, but they probably run windows os's just like (suprisingly) many new arcade machines due
And that border break game really isn't that special graphically. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Diamond

360 and PS3 are more powerful than Ringedge.

Ringwide on the other hand is slightly more powerful than a 360 or PS3.  A few times at the most, but 'a few times' in computer graphics is nothing.  It takes dozens or hundreds of times to make a real perceived difference.

The ability to output 2 monitors at a very high resolution means NOTHING AT ALL.  It has nothing to do if whether that same hardware can output 1080p at 30fps or 60fps.  It depends on how complicated the game's graphics are.  I had a PC in 1993 that could output images at 1600x1200, that doesn't mean it could play any game at that resolution.

edit : sorry I got the hardware names reversed, I haven't edited the text above so it's Ringwide which 360 and PS3 are clearly more powerful than, Ringedge is debatable.

Ringwide :

An Intel Celeron 440 @ 2 GHz

1GB of DDR2 PC5300 RAM

“AMD GPU” with 128MB of GDDR3 RAM, supports Shader Model 4.0 and also has two ports to handle 1920×1200 resolution video

Ringedge :

Intel Pentium E2160 CPU @ 1.8 GHz

1GB of DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM

An “nVidia GPU” w/ 384MB of GDDR3 RAM and supports Shader Model 4.0 and “two 1920×1200″ which probably means it has ports for two monitors and can support up to that resolution. Also as of a note, it says “nVidia GPU 2″ on the document up higher - not sure if that means

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Diamond

Actually when I think about it, it's probable that 360 and PS3 are more powerful than both hardware, but it will depend on which specific GPU model the Ringedge board uses.

The 1GB of RAM is probably necessary to run Windows in the background without problems.  The Ringwide will at least be crippled by the 128MB of video RAM (360 and PS3 both have effectively 256MB).  Both arcade units have WEAK CPUs.

If it turns up that the Ringedge uses something like a 9400, then it'll be way weaker than 360 and PS3 anyways.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hexpane
LiquidPrince said:
"Hexpane said:
"LiquidPrince said:

"
Buddy, that's not for lack of the PS3's ability. That's because it's easier to port to multiple consoles a game that is running at a lower resolution, while not having to optimize. If they were to work on the game longer and make the code more efficient, they could easily run the game in 1080P. Blame the developers, not the consoles.

"
Ready to get that shot down? Fallout 3 was released XBOX/PC/PS3 all on the same day.  It's not a port done on a short timeline, they were all developed on the same timeline.
Magically GTA4 was ported to the PC, and runs at higher resolutions.. go figure.

You really think we should "blame the developers" who are making games that run at 1440p on a PC but the consoles restrict them to 600p?  I don't think you understand how this works guy.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Diamond
Hexpane said:
I don't think you understand how this works guy.
You're one to talk.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince
Hexpane said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Hexpane said:
"LiquidPrince said:

"

"
Ready to get that shot down? Fallout 3 was released XBOX/PC/PS3 all on the same day.  It's not a port done on a short timeline, they were all developed on the same timeline.
Magically GTA4 was ported to the PC, and runs at higher resolutions.. go figure.

You really think we should "blame the developers" who are making games that run at 1440p on a PC but the consoles restrict them to 600p?  I don't think you understand how this works guy.
"
Just because it came out on the same day doesn't mean it wasn't ported...