Somehow, I manage to connect Chester Cheetah to global warming.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Edited By Video_Game_King
No Caption Provided

Mega Man Zero 4

(Wait, something's not right about this particular Mega Man game.) It....actually ends things. That's not how Mega Man's supposed to work. I guess it was caught in that awkward time between ending series after eight games (and pissing off the fans) and ending them after two or three games (and pissing off the fans). Well, regardless, it ends things in a pretty endy fashion, but with a huge twist that I'm sure none of you could possibly see coming. It doesn't piss off the fans. Shocking, right?

But before I carry on, remember my last blog? I'm asking you because I don't. What was it about? Libertarians, you say? Well, I guess to counter-balance that, I chose this game because of how Stalinist it is. It's future times and three Mega Man Zero games have already happened, and "Totally Not Dr. Wily, Honestly" Dr. Weil is ruling Neo Arcadia like Josef Stalin. Don't believe me? The guy paints his hellhole (or so we're told; we never really see Neo Arcadia, so it's hard to tell how true that is) as a paradise, suppresses any political opposition, and wants to kill any Humans (capitalized for n real reason) he sees fleeing his super awesome city. Look, trust me, it comes across as pretty Stalinist in the actual game. Anyway, it's now up to Zero to put a stop to Weil's version of communism and save the environment, apparently. Also, the Humans. Although for being the victims of this struggle, the Humans sure are goddamn assholes......Moreso than usual. The intro makes it pretty clear how the Reploid War or whatever started: Humans built Reploids (also capitalized) for slave labor, and when the Reploids want some actual rights, they're labeled Mavericks and hunted on the spot. Then the world blows up or something, and Zero has to prove to the surviving Humans that he's not an asshole, even though the Humans are the ones who spend the game whining about how much Reploids suck ass. Other than that, though, it's got a pretty good story with some somber moments and such.

God, I can only fucking hope so.

Oh, and environmental messages, because...I have no idea. This came out quite a while before An Inconvenient Truth, so it's not like it's following any trends or anything. Anyway, why didn't I mention this in the previous paragraph? Because it has a larger impact on the levels than the story. Granted, it's not too big an impact, but it's still larger than what it does to the story. Here's the thing: before you actually jump into a level, you get to choose what the weather will be like (nope, no way THAT could ever contradict any environmental themes or anything). In theory, the weather will affect how the level plays out, changing certain aspects and allowing you to access different areas. While it does do that, the problem is that all areas only have two weather conditions, like, ever, and there's always one that's clearly better than the other. It's the one that the game directly tells you is better. There's one feature down the gutter. Shame, too, because the levels in this game are pretty damn cool. Nothing terribly special, but it does know how to keep the action going, and there is enough variety to keep things interesting. Throw in some challenging bosses who speak Japanese, for some reason, and you have an OK game.

But you know what makes this game awesome? You know what makes it suck that this is the end? The weapons. Dear god, the weapons in this game fucking rule. Well, except for your default ones. Strange, I know, but bear with me. You get three main weapons: a gun that you'll never ever use, a sword that's pretty cool to use, and a knuckle. DO NOT IGNORE THIS KNUCKLE LIKE I DID FOR MOST OF THE GAME. It allows you to steal weapons from enemies, and trust me, you'll want to do this whenever possible, because there are so many great weapons to kali ma from your foes. For example, a flashlight. Yes, you can kill things with a flashlight. It doesn't make sense, but it doesn't have to when you can kill your foes with light. Oh, there are other methods of killing things, but they're nowhere near as interesting. For instance, chips. They're not very good, but the weird thing is that they should be cool. They allow you to customize Zero and dress him in pretty colors; what could be wrong with that? Well, the method of actually getting those chips: you have to build them yourself....with recipes you never get and resources you'll never have enough of. Great. Although, really, that's a pretty minor issue with Mega Man Zero 4. I'd still recommend the hell out of it, especially seeing how I've done it threetimesbefore.

Review Synopsis

• What was Stalin's opinion on the environment, and why did this game make me say that?
  • Some fun levels, I guess.
  • Stealing weapons? Awesome! Making weapons? Terrible!

Here's a preview of the American localization of Wake-Up Club:

Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool

(As much as I love the 90s, there was one disturbing trend that I'm glad has passed.) What? Mascot platformers? Fuck you for indirectly insulting Sonic 3! Anyway, what I'm talking about is the trend of advergames. What's that? Burger King games? Well, the 90s had McDonald's games out the ass, Yo Noid, Chex Quest, Cool Spot, the second TMNT game (coupons count)...and this, the game that undermines my premise by actually being sort of OK.

But this isn't the Chester Cheetah we know today, who transitioned from a life of convincing people to suffocate those around them to a life of general weirdness, but the hip, cool Chester Cheetah. Or at least, that's what he was trying to go for; in reality, he was not only nothing like that (it's hard to be cool when your name is fucking Chester), but he was everything you hated about what the 90s considered cool, and dear god, does it come across in the game. Any time the poor bastard opens his mouth, he sounds like a cross between Rocket Power and what you think jazz musicians from the 1940s sounded like. It's painful having to hear him spout out words like "righteous" and "hip" and "aiiiaight"....which is why the developers limited his speech only to the ending. (In fact, that last one was probably just a pained burp.) The rest of the time, he stays silent as he gathers the missing parts of his motorcycle (because he's apparently too cool to carpool OH GOD, DON'T HIT ME!). But the "coolness" still manages to leak through. (I feel like I rely on this too much, but) just look at this game. It looks like a launch pad for a long forgotten cartoon. A bit too flat for my tastes, but it gets the job done. And the music....is actually bitching? What's going o-right. I'm supposed to tell you how this game is OK.

This is my entire motivation for this part of the blog: a picture I've had on my computer for over a year. I hope you're pleased.
This is my entire motivation for this part of the blog: a picture I've had on my computer for over a year. I hope you're pleased.

Odd, because this is the part where I also have to talk about the gameplay. Well, it's a platformer where you jump and...no, that's pretty much it. OK, there are tons of weird power-ups you can sometimes find (sunglasses that remove all the color from the levels, a guitar that...does nothing...etc.), but for the most part, it's just jumping through straightish levels. So then how is this game good? Well, it knows how to keep just enough variety to make things interesting. In fact, let's go through it level by level to prove it: up first is a straight line that sometimes has you fucking your way through sewers. Fair enough. Up next is a monkey that follows you through shitty vine physics, followed by a boat level and then some minecart bullshit. Losing interest? Good, because up next is Chester Cheetah riding a goddamn butterfly. All the while, you're beating the shit out of a poorly drawn dog who has both the parts to your motorcycle and various modes of transportation. Or perhaps it's a series of dogs; it's not very clear. Does it make any sense? Of course not! Does it need to? Not really. Trust me, you're going to welcome anything into the experience so long as it gets you away from the actual levels. Why is that?

Well, for the most part, they're pretty damn easy. What? Did you expect anything else? The levels only demand that you press right and jump, and you don't even have to press the first one too often; of course things are going to be somewhat easy. What's that? Enemies? In a video game? That cha-*bursts out into laughter* THINGS ARE STILL EASY! Here; I'll even let you in on my master strategy to destroy the enemies in this game: move slightly to the left and then jump right over them. Sure, they won't die (even if you do hit them), but they'll learn their lesson. They, like the game, will offer you no more resistance. To be fair, though, the game eventually gets challenging a couple of stages in. Enemies become harder to navigate around, platforms less forgiving, and gameplay somewhat more engaging as a result of it. Unfortunately, things go back to being easy for the end, when the game becomes a bullet heaven type of game. Speaking of endings, care to take a wager how long this game is?..............Nobody's guessing. Like, at all. Well, for all zero of you who were wondering, it's five stages. Combine that with the lack of difficulty in about 60% of the game, and you have a very short game. So basically, this game is the equivalent of shoving an entire bag of Cheetos down your throat: it won't take very long, but you'll get some mild enjoyment out of the experience. Also, it helps if you're massively stoned the entire time.

Review Synopsis

• It's like the inevitable Cheetos cartoon you know you'd never watch.
  • Wow, one of the rare examples of a licensed game that's actually competent at being a game.
  • Despite his testimony to the contrary, it really is easy being cheesy. No, wait, put down the pipe, we can talk this out like civi-PUT DOWN THE PIPE!
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Video_Game_King
No Caption Provided

Mega Man Zero 4

(Wait, something's not right about this particular Mega Man game.) It....actually ends things. That's not how Mega Man's supposed to work. I guess it was caught in that awkward time between ending series after eight games (and pissing off the fans) and ending them after two or three games (and pissing off the fans). Well, regardless, it ends things in a pretty endy fashion, but with a huge twist that I'm sure none of you could possibly see coming. It doesn't piss off the fans. Shocking, right?

But before I carry on, remember my last blog? I'm asking you because I don't. What was it about? Libertarians, you say? Well, I guess to counter-balance that, I chose this game because of how Stalinist it is. It's future times and three Mega Man Zero games have already happened, and "Totally Not Dr. Wily, Honestly" Dr. Weil is ruling Neo Arcadia like Josef Stalin. Don't believe me? The guy paints his hellhole (or so we're told; we never really see Neo Arcadia, so it's hard to tell how true that is) as a paradise, suppresses any political opposition, and wants to kill any Humans (capitalized for n real reason) he sees fleeing his super awesome city. Look, trust me, it comes across as pretty Stalinist in the actual game. Anyway, it's now up to Zero to put a stop to Weil's version of communism and save the environment, apparently. Also, the Humans. Although for being the victims of this struggle, the Humans sure are goddamn assholes......Moreso than usual. The intro makes it pretty clear how the Reploid War or whatever started: Humans built Reploids (also capitalized) for slave labor, and when the Reploids want some actual rights, they're labeled Mavericks and hunted on the spot. Then the world blows up or something, and Zero has to prove to the surviving Humans that he's not an asshole, even though the Humans are the ones who spend the game whining about how much Reploids suck ass. Other than that, though, it's got a pretty good story with some somber moments and such.

Oh, and environmental messages, because...I have no idea. This came out quite a while before An Inconvenient Truth, so it's not like it's following any trends or anything. Anyway, why didn't I mention this in the previous paragraph? Because it has a larger impact on the levels than the story. Granted, it's not too big an impact, but it's still larger than what it does to the story. Here's the thing: before you actually jump into a level, you get to choose what the weather will be like (nope, no way THAT could ever contradict any environmental themes or anything). In theory, the weather will affect how the level plays out, changing certain aspects and allowing you to access different areas. While it does do that, the problem is that all areas only have two weather conditions, like, ever, and there's always one that's clearly better than the other. It's the one that the game directly tells you is better. There's one feature down the gutter. Shame, too, because the levels in this game are pretty damn cool. Nothing terribly special, but it does know how to keep the action going, and there is enough variety to keep things interesting. Throw in some challenging bosses who speak Japanese, for some reason, and you have an OK game.

But you know what makes this game awesome? You know what makes it suck that this is the end? The weapons. Dear god, the weapons in this game fucking rule. Well, except for your default ones. Strange, I know, but bear with me. You get three main weapons: a gun that you'll never ever use, a sword that's pretty cool to use, and a knuckle. DO NOT IGNORE THIS KNUCKLE LIKE I DID FOR MOST OF THE GAME. It allows you to steal weapons from enemies, and trust me, you'll want to do this whenever possible, because there are so many great weapons to kali ma from your foes. For example, a flashlight. Yes, you can kill things with a flashlight. It doesn't make sense, but it doesn't have to when you can kill your foes with light. Oh, there are other methods of killing things, but they're nowhere near as interesting. For instance, chips. They're not very good, but the weird thing is that they should be cool. They allow you to customize Zero and dress him in pretty colors; what could be wrong with that? Well, the method of actually getting those chips: you have to build them yourself....with recipes you never get and resources you'll never have enough of. Great. Although, really, that's a pretty minor issue with Mega Man Zero 4. I'd still recommend the hell out of it, especially seeing how I've done it threetimesbefore.

Review Synopsis

• What was Stalin's opinion on the environment, and why did this game make me say that?
  • Some fun levels, I guess.
  • Stealing weapons? Awesome! Making weapons? Terrible!

Here's a preview of the American localization of Wake-Up Club:

Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool

(As much as I love the 90s, there was one disturbing trend that I'm glad has passed.) What? Mascot platformers? Fuck you for indirectly insulting Sonic 3! Anyway, what I'm talking about is the trend of advergames. What's that? Burger King games? Well, the 90s had McDonald's games out the ass, Yo Noid, Chex Quest, Cool Spot, the second TMNT game (coupons count)...and this, the game that undermines my premise by actually being sort of OK.

But this isn't the Chester Cheetah we know today, who transitioned from a life of convincing people to suffocate those around them to a life of general weirdness, but the hip, cool Chester Cheetah. Or at least, that's what he was trying to go for; in reality, he was not only nothing like that (it's hard to be cool when your name is fucking Chester), but he was everything you hated about what the 90s considered cool, and dear god, does it come across in the game. Any time the poor bastard opens his mouth, he sounds like a cross between Rocket Power and what you think jazz musicians from the 1940s sounded like. It's painful having to hear him spout out words like "righteous" and "hip" and "aiiiaight"....which is why the developers limited his speech only to the ending. (In fact, that last one was probably just a pained burp.) The rest of the time, he stays silent as he gathers the missing parts of his motorcycle (because he's apparently too cool to carpool OH GOD, DON'T HIT ME!). But the "coolness" still manages to leak through. (I feel like I rely on this too much, but) just look at this game. It looks like a launch pad for a long forgotten cartoon. A bit too flat for my tastes, but it gets the job done. And the music....is actually bitching? What's going o-right. I'm supposed to tell you how this game is OK.

Odd, because this is the part where I also have to talk about the gameplay. Well, it's a platformer where you jump and...no, that's pretty much it. OK, there are tons of weird power-ups you can sometimes find (sunglasses that remove all the color from the levels, a guitar that...does nothing...etc.), but for the most part, it's just jumping through straightish levels. So then how is this game good? Well, it knows how to keep just enough variety to make things interesting. In fact, let's go through it level by level to prove it: up first is a straight line that sometimes has you fucking your way through sewers. Fair enough. Up next is a monkey that follows you through shitty vine physics, followed by a boat level and then some minecart bullshit. Losing interest? Good, because up next is Chester Cheetah riding a goddamn butterfly. All the while, you're beating the shit out of a poorly drawn dog who has both the parts to your motorcycle and various modes of transportation. Or perhaps it's a series of dogs; it's not very clear. Does it make any sense? Of course not! Does it need to? Not really. Trust me, you're going to welcome anything into the experience so long as it gets you away from the actual levels. Why is that?

Well, for the most part, they're pretty damn easy. What? Did you expect anything else? The levels only demand that you press right and jump, and you don't even have to press the first one too often; of course things are going to be somewhat easy. What's that? Enemies? In a video game? That cha-*bursts out into laughter* THINGS ARE STILL EASY! Here; I'll even let you in on my master strategy to destroy the enemies in this game: move slightly to the left and then jump right over them. Sure, they won't die (even if you do hit them), but they'll learn their lesson. They, like the game, will offer you no more resistance. To be fair, though, the game eventually gets challenging a couple of stages in. Enemies become harder to navigate around, platforms less forgiving, and gameplay somewhat more engaging as a result of it. Unfortunately, things go back to being easy for the end, when the game becomes a bullet heaven type of game. Speaking of endings, care to take a wager how long this game is?..............Nobody's guessing. Like, at all. Well, for all zero of you who were wondering, it's five stages. Combine that with the lack of difficulty in about 60% of the game, and you have a very short game. So basically, this game is the equivalent of shoving an entire bag of Cheetos down your throat: it won't take very long, but you'll get some mild enjoyment out of the experience. Also, it helps if you're massively stoned the entire time.

Review Synopsis

• It's like the inevitable Cheetos cartoon you know you'd never watch.
  • Wow, one of the rare examples of a licensed game that's actually competent at being a game.
  • Despite his testimony to the contrary, it really is easy being cheesy. No, wait, put down the pipe, we can talk this out like civi-PUT DOWN THE PIPE!
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

Have they made a pre-Megaman I game yet? I wanna play as Protoman, who, coincidentally, is cooler than Zero, or Bass, or any of the other tertiary Megaman characters (especially Rush and Roll. Useless.).

As for CC:TCtF, I've seen Flash games with better production values than this orange turd. Did Frito-Lay actually pay someone to make it?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Mega Man Zero has a somewhat worthwhile story. Which is nuts, most Mega Man games don't.

Anyway, I find myself using the near-useless gun on bosses all of the time. It usually makes it a lot easier to dodge things. For, everything else, though, I use the sword, which is downright awesome when you've mastered it. It's only possible because those games do mobility very, very well.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight:

I don't know, but given how confusing the canon is, they may as well have.

I imagine they just had Chester Cheetah snort a line of Cheeto dust and then kidnap somebody to make it.

@believer258:

It's been a while since I've played it, but I think I remember simply using the sword on everything because it's much more fun. I'd sometimes use that fist grabby thing, though, in case there was a power-up worth getting with it.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#5  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Sir, I demand satisfaction for indirectly impugning the good name of Cool Spot. That game was far better than it had any right to be. It was, however, exactly as radical as it needed to be, which is to say it was radical to the max.

Also I had no idea that Chester Cheetah commercials got so ominous of late. What happened to pulling a sweet surf move while eating cheetos? Those ads kind of remind me of a similar campaign over here with a passive-aggressive polar bear.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Mento:

I don't remember liking Cool Spot too much, but for you, I will revisit it....once I'm done with the next, like, three blogs I have planned. Barbie always comes before Cool Spot.

That guy doesn't seem very ominous. Come back when he tells you to suffocate the man next to you while he massages a pair of large breasts.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#7  Edited By Mento  Moderator

I can never tell if that bear's supposed to be some mildly threatening mob enforcer that wants various housewives to stay on the straight and narrow by buying Birdseye or if he's boinking them on the down-low and using that as blackmail to keep them buying Birdseye. Either way, I'm not sure how that helps advertise your product?

Also, I believe you can breathe through cheetos. They're high in porosity.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Mento:

In that first commercial, he just looks like he wants to sell you some chicken. I watched another one, though (he was in a freezer), and he does come off as somewhat threatening. Maybe he personally kills the chickens.

Chester knows where to get the deadly shit, though. The grocery store. You don't need to do anything to Cheetos to make them deadly.

TYUI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By TYUI

Well my respect for your tastes has increased tenfold now that I've seen you recommend Megaman Zero.

Although oddly enough, I'm actually glad they ended Megaman Zero at number 4. Not only does it have a great ending, but them concluding it in this manner makes the entire Megaman Zero series a self-contained, complete story in the Megaman universe, which is more than I can say for most of the other Megaman series... that along with its darker tone that wasn't fully explored in the X series(in order to make Megaman X more kid friendly I guess) makes Megaman Zero one of my favorite Megaman series and among my favorite handheld games of all time. Seriously, I love it to death.

Although yeah, the weapon creation thing could've used more work. It also baffles me as to why they removed the shield in MZ4 - the only reason I can see for that is because some stolen weapons basically function exactly like the shield. But still, sad to see some older weapons go when new ones come in. Not that the new ones aren't fantastic in their own right...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Sinclose:

Really? Because I've done this, like, ten times before.

To be fair, though, if Mega Man Zero is known for one thing, it's....having a somewhat confusing story? If it's known for five things, though, one of those things is "changing one of the weapons around for no real reason between installments".

TYUI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By TYUI

@Video_Game_King: You may have done this multiple times before, but this is the first time I've personally read it :P

Haven't been all that active around this site, so that's probably why.

I dunno, I never really got the impression Megaman Zero had a confusing story. In fact, it did a pretty great job of tying up loose ends in prior installments using later installments, such that by the end of the four games you have a complete, cohesive story that includes events prior to the first Megaman Zero explaining the whole thing about cyberelves and Weil. I think it's expanded upon even more in ZX, but I haven't played that yet on account of not having a DS.

If nothing else, the story content related to MZ in the Megaman Wikia prior to the release of ZX shows how much plot content is present in those 4 games. There's even some additional info in other material, like the OST having a picture showing the 'ghost' of Phantom watch on as Ragnarok falls to earth in pieces, content in knowing that Zero completed his mission.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

I remember I rented a Chester Cheetah game for the SNES. I don't remember much else about it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1:

That sounds like something that would happen with one of these games.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By kindgineer

Well sir, the title alone got me to read your blog. Well done!