Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#51  Edited By Hailinel
@LobsterCrunk said:
" @FancySoapsMan said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @psylah said:

" A Permanent Injunction will require George Hotz to refrain from doing something, as ordered by the court.In some tech-related cases, it's not unusual to have an injunction that requires someone to refrain from using devices that use processors (computers).It's a fate worse than death, I'd say. "
So depending on whatever this permanent injunction is related to, it could simply destroy Hotz? "

"Geohot, a.k.a George Hotz has finally found some space to breathe. Both SONY and Hotz have come to an agreement on a settlement, with Hotz accepting a permanent injunction against his development activities on the PS3."

Doesn't sound that bad.

"
Wait, didn't all this start with Hotz' development activites on the PS3?  Didn't this court case serve as a philosophical battleground, rather than a legal one?  Wasn't this all about the nature of ownership?Ah, forget it. "
The entire "philosophical battleground" angle was more or less hype in favor of Hotz.  Then legal reality punched him in the face.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#52  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@KaosAngel said:
" @SethPhotopoulos said:
"You want that guy utterly fucked monetarily so you can hack a console for some weird and suspicious reason?"
George had millions in donations.  He promised he'd fight the whole way, Sony got cold-feat and realized Apple tried this last year and they got their asses handed to them.  Microsoft is too smart to take them to court for console hacking, and Nintendo isn't stupid enough to bitch in America...but Sony was the silver lining.  Those dumb-fucks were dumb enough to do this, fucking hell.

So FUCKING CLOSE to have console modding 100% legal in America...so fucking close.
"
What the fuck are you talking about? Sony pretty much won.

You're making no sense.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By KaosAngel
@SethPhotopoulos said:
"They didn't puss out.  They won. "
No...they pussed out.  If they "won", they would've taken it all the way and the Judge would've been like "uh...tried this with Apple, and consumer is right to hack their own product".  Sony backed down and more than likely made a deal with George.  All we need is some new idiot at Nintendo to sue someone when the Wii 2 gets hacked or if Sony tries this again when the NGP gets hacked.  Microsoft isn't stupid enough to sue a dude....they even sent George a free WP7 in the hopes that he hacks it for the community.

George shouldn't have made that deal...he could've made things so much better for hackers and modders everywhere in America.  But man, I can't hate him, after everything he did for the iPhone and iOS and Android stuff, that dude is still a hero.  He made Sony look like a pussy for having them cave in.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Hailinel
@KaosAngel said:
" @SethPhotopoulos said:
No...they pussed out.  If they "won", they would've taken it all the way and the Judge would've been like "uh...tried this with Apple, and consumer is right to hack their own product".  Sony backed down and more than likely made a deal with George.  All we need is some new idiot at Nintendo to sue someone when the Wii 2 gets hacked or if Sony tries this again when the NGP gets hacked.  Microsoft isn't stupid enough to sue a dude....they even sent George a free WP7 in the hopes that he hacks it for the community.

George shouldn't have made that deal...he could've made things so much better for hackers and modders everywhere in America.  But man, I can't hate him, after everything he did for the iPhone and iOS and Android stuff, that dude is still a hero.  He made Sony look like a pussy for having them cave in.
"
So you're saying that an inevitable scenario in which they lose would be preferable to Sony entering a settlement in which they are clearly the victor?

Do you consciously try to be an idiot?
hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By hexx462
@extremeradical said:
" @hexx462 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" probably for the best.. SONY's dictatorship made me revolted by their policies and im switching to the Xbox next gen "
Yeah stick to the man! Jump ship from one massive corporation to another, that'll show'em! "
Yeah, Microsoft has never done something that can be considered anti-consumer.

Rage against that machine!
"
I think if these are the kind of things someone is concerned with they probably shouldn't be playing video games in the first place.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@KaosAngel said:
" @SethPhotopoulos said:

"
You mean they lost because they knew if they took it to court they would lose and getting a settlement which disallows the sharing of information of the hacked console and also disallows him to hack any of their consoles?  They didn't lose you did.  Ever saw Kung Pow Enter the Fist where the guy that got his ass kicked looks up and says he is the winner because he was the first to get knocked out?  It makes as much sense as what your saying.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" probably for the best.. SONY's dictatorship made me revolted by their policies and im switching to the Xbox next gen "
You must have the brain of, well, probably an idiot. Xbox is all about closed ass systems. Your fucking stupid if you expect better from xbox. What Sony did was perfectly reasonable. You threaten the security of their system, and yes they will fucking act on it, why? Because if they don't, the 98% of PS3 users who don't hack games, pirate software, etc, will be pissed at the fact that there are people doing those things. If anyone tried this shit with Microsoft, it would be crushed in a fucking instant. It wouldn't happen. If you think you'll find a different way of doing things at Microsofts side, go ahead. The 360 is an awesome platform, so is Xbox Live. But you are just being an ignorant uppity twat if you think Sony was being a "dictator". Either grow the fuck up, or get your ass back to school. Maybe you'll learn a bit of common sense. Have fun finding out about all the awesome shit you can't do on a 360 2. Sony was protecting the infrastructure and the device and the customers they worked YEARS to produce. All you have a guarantee for is the system. Everything else is a SERVICE provided by SONY, and it has always been evolving, removing and adding features and security barriers/ loopholes. They can take it away all they want, especially with it being FREE. They can stop you from modifying the OS all they want, ESPECIALLY if it results in security breaches. Which this shit absolutely would. Your not entitled to this shit, so stop your whining. If this is something big enough in your life to be upset about, your life must be fucking fantastic, or you must be the saddest motherfucker in the world. Either way, your going to be terribly disappointed as this shit continues to be squashed.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By KaosAngel
@Hailinel said:

"So you're saying that an inevitable scenario in which they lose would be preferable to Sony entering a settlement in which they are clearly the victor?Do you consciously try to be an idiot? "

George had a say in this too. Sony must've offered something to George that he couldn't turn down.  I don't think George would be willing to share what Sony gave him in return but considering he got millions from donations alone to fight for console hacking, Sony gave him more than millions.  Now we must pester George on the forums he posts on to get the truth out somehow.  Or maybe at DEFCON this summer he'll surprise us with a better story.  

Oh well, I'll go back to driving my  $75,000 Mercedes and live in my nice North East Suburban home.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By Skald
@hexx462 said:
" @extremeradical said:
" @hexx462 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
Yeah stick to the man! Jump ship from one massive corporation to another, that'll show'em! "

"
I think if these are the kind of things someone is concerned with they probably shouldn't be playing video games in the first place. "
Big corporation's legal spats? Probably not.

Which is why nobody will care about this in a couple of months.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By KaosAngel
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
You must have the brain of, well, probably an idiot. Xbox is all about closed ass systems. Your fucking stupid if you expect better from xbox. What Sony did was perfectly reasonable. You threaten the security of their system, and yes they will fucking act on it, why? Because if they don't, the 98% of PS3 users who don't hack games, pirate software, etc, will be pissed at the fact that there are people doing those things. If anyone tried this shit with Microsoft, it would be crushed in a fucking instant. It wouldn't happen. If you think you'll find a different way of doing things at Microsofts side, go ahead. The 360 is an awesome platform, so is Xbox Live. But you are just being an ignorant uppity twat if you think Sony was being a "dictator". Either grow the fuck up, or get your ass back to school. Maybe you'll learn a bit of common sense. Have fun finding out about all the awesome shit you can't do on a 360 2. Sony was protecting the infrastructure and the device and the customers they worked YEARS to produce. All you have a guarantee for is the system. Everything else is a SERVICE provided by SONY, and it has always been evolving, removing and adding features and security barriers/ loopholes. They can take it away all they want, especially with it being FREE. They can stop you from modifying the OS all they want, ESPECIALLY if it results in security breaches. Which this shit absolutely would. Your not entitled to this shit, so stop your whining. If this is something big enough in your life to be upset about, your life must be fucking fantastic, or you must be the saddest motherfucker in the world. Either way, your going to be terribly disappointed as this shit continues to be squashed. "
Uh no...you're wrong.  The DMCA even stated this last year with the iPhone jailbreaking.  Their ruling was that anyone is free to hack and mod anything they own, the onus is on the corporation for having better security.  That's why MS doesn't sue with console hacking and Nintendo doesn't do it in America, because they are smart enough to know they would fucking lose in a day like Apple did.  So console hacking is still a "grey" area, and the companies are okay with it being "grey" rather than "green" like with handsets.

Sony's responsibility to have better security, and when the NGP comes out this year...you can bet your ass all the hackers are going to hack the fuck out of it ASAP for what Sony did.  NGP is pretty much similar to the iPod Touch according to the Government so Sony can't do jack-shit to fight back.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By august

This is around the time someone pulls out the retarded gun crime analogies.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@extremeradical said:
" @hexx462 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

"
well the least we could do while bent over and getting fucked by these corporations whose products we drool over like duped kids and which we purchase for huge sums of money without being able to fully own them, not to mention how fragile they are with their yellow and red lighted death tendencies, is to pretend like we're taking action ..
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By X19
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
That cracked me up XD
SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SomeJerk

It can't be easy to suffer a mental illness that makes you OCD about putting linux on anything in existence, but I still think he should be mitnicked for being stupid.

virtua_ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By virtua_ben

I doubt that this is over yet.  In a legal sense maybe, but "anonymous," being the fuckers they are, will probably try to mess up something else. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By KaosAngel
@GAZERK said:
" I doubt that this is over yet.  In a legal sense maybe, but "anonymous," being the fuckers they are, will probably try to mess up something else.  "
Plus once the NGP is out and people hack it to run pirated games, Sony can't do jack-shit about it.  NGP is a handheld device that is similar to the iPad, iPodtouch, etc.  The DEFCON and other hacking forums are already saying they'll get the NGP hacked week one and Sony won't be able to sue them for it.  

The good thing about the PSP hacks was that George didn't work on it, some Russian and Japanese teams did the hacks...so they'll be back on the NGP to fight back.  

Sony might be able to keep console hacking "grey" by settling, but Apple already fucked it up for all handsets by making it legal to hack them.  
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@X19:  it was intended to xD
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Hailinel
@KaosAngel said:
" @GAZERK said:
" I doubt that this is over yet.  In a legal sense maybe, but "anonymous," being the fuckers they are, will probably try to mess up something else.  "
Plus once the NGP is out and people hack it to run pirated games, Sony can't do jack-shit about it.  NGP is a handheld device that is similar to the iPad, iPodtouch, etc.  The DEFCON and other hacking forums are already saying they'll get the NGP hacked week one and Sony won't be able to sue them for it.  

The good thing about the PSP hacks was that George didn't work on it, some Russian and Japanese teams did the hacks...so they'll be back on the NGP to fight back.  

Sony might be able to keep console hacking "grey" by settling, but Apple already fucked it up for all handsets by making it legal to hack them.  
"
You don't know that.  You really don't.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@KaosAngel said:
" @GAZERK said:

"
It legal to hack not to pirate games.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By time allen
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
because microsoft have a spotless track record
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By KaosAngel
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" It legal to hack not to pirate games. "
Gotta jailbreak it to hack it.  I got a jailbroken iPhone 4, iPad, and within a few days a jailbroken iPad 2 (once the release is out), but I don't use Installous to play pirated apps.  I use my iPhone 4 to piggy-back my 3g to my WiFi iPad 2!  It's totally awesome having my iPhone 4 in my Mercedes while I got my iPad 2 using the 3g when I drive around.  :D

The first thing people will do once the jailbreak for the NGP comes out is pirate it, and most people are smart in how they download .iso files.  When was the last time Sony used someone for pirating a PSP game?  I'll use a hacked NGP for media services, theme loaders, and other stuff.  
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Skald
@KaosAngel said:
" @GAZERK said:

"
I'm pretty sure the DMCA exemption is limited to cellphone handsets.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By KaosAngel
@extremeradical: Uh no, we had this topic before in the other thread.  iPod touch and iPad are under the same category and that's not a cellphone, the DMCA states that the onus is on the corporation to have better security.  NGP is a handset similar to the iPad and iPod touch, and it's only function isn't to game.  It's a multi-media device and having one version with 3g just sweetens the deal.  

Hackers are protected with hacking the NGP.  This is the same reason why Apple doesn't sue people who hack the iPod Touch or iPads, because it's already been stated it's legal.  Sony might have won by keeping console hacking "grey" but they still lose the NGP due to Apple.

Tom Merritt and Leo Laporte went into details of this last summer.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Skald
@KaosAngel: Do you have a source?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By KaosAngel

Sony was going to get their asses handed to them if they went through with the case, and the NGP is protected by the consumers.

WiFi counts as a tellophone connection as you can use VoIP.  You can thank Google for making this mainstream due to Google Voice, and I guess Skype too...but I use Google Voice.

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/

(2) Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset.

(3) Computer programs, in the form of firmware or software, that enable used wireless telephone handsets to connect to a wireless telecommunications network, when circumvention is initiated by the owner of the copy of the computer program solely in order to connect to a wireless telecommunications network and access to the network is authorized by the operator of the network.

(4) Video games accessible on personal computers and protected by technological protection measures that control access to lawfully obtained works, when circumvention is accomplished solely for the purpose of good faith testing for, investigating, or correcting security flaws or vulnerabilities, if:

(i)  The information derived from the security testing is used primarily to promote the security of the owner or operator of a computer, computer system, or computer network; and
(ii) The information derived from the security testing is used or maintained in a manner that does not facilitate copyright infringement or a violation of applicable law.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Enigma777

SONY SMASH PUNY NERD!

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CaptainCody

I feel like this is in part anonymous' thanks, regardless I don't think I really give a fuck. I enjoyed the e-drama.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Skald
@KaosAngel said:
" (2) Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset.

(3) Computer programs, in the form of firmware or software, that enable used wireless telephone handsets to connect to a wireless telecommunications network, when circumvention is initiated by the owner of the copy of the computer program solely in order to connect to a wireless telecommunications network and access to the network is authorized by the operator of the network. "

Although I think it can be applied to devices like the iPad and PSP in spirit, the way it's written exclusively mentions cellphones.

Until a future exemption includes tablets and game systems, Sony can take the hackers to court and either bleed them dry or settle out of court like they did with Hotz, because as you previously mentioned, this is a legal grey area.
Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @Boom_goes_the_dynamite said:
" Glad that this is all over, its pretty hilarious that this was reached before the whole anonymous stuff happened. "
They'll probably try to take some credit. "
Probably, but by that point no one will care.
Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Ley_Lines

WAIT his internet name is Geo Hotz and his real name is George Hotz. That hilarious.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#81  Edited By 234r2we232

At least now when he sits alone every night masturbating and crying, he has a better idea of what it means to be abused in a cell by a large man named "Blossom".

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By frankxiv

good news, now everyone can go back to not caring about everyone involved

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#83  Edited By EVO
@MattyFTM said:
" What do you think the chances are of Sony hiring Hotz to work on their security stuff for their future consoles? That's what often happens in these cases, they hire the guy who cracked their security measures to help improve them. "
That's what I've been thinking all along, a Catch Me If You Can scenario of sorts.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Enigma777 said:
" SONY SMASH PUNY NERD! "
More like Puny Nerd Scare Sony.  Sony think better to be friends.  Friends, yes?
Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never really closely followed this, but purely from my outside perspective, I get the distinct impression that Sony wanted this over quickly, and their legal efforts were alot of bark and no teeth. The fact that Geo got off so relatively easy after drawing the ire of a corporate entity like Sony could pretty easily be considered not only a victory for Geo in the grand scheme of things, but also a pretty clear indication that Sony doesn't really want to go up against serious courtroom opposition on this issue for risk of the outcome.

MadLeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MadLeper

@KaosAngel

I see this refernce to the Library of Congfress DCMA exemptions come up quite often by people who haven't taken the time to actually read up on the jail-breaking exemptions.

Here's a list of the exemptions granted for jail-breaking your devices. Could you please point out the one that would allow breaking the encryption on the PS3 to play cracked games or add functionality?

- Computer users may now bypass external security devices if they do not longer work and cannot be replaced..

- Phone owners may break access controls on their phones to switch to another wireless carrier.

- It is now allowed to break video game protections to investigate or correct security flaws.

- Allow college professors, film students, filmmakers and producers of non-commercial videos to break copy-protections on DVDs for educational purposes, criticism or commentary.

- Allow blind people to break protections on electronic books so that they can be used with blind-suitable software.    

I don't see anything there that would apply to the GeoHot/PS3 situation, and I'm pretty certain that cracking and releasing the keys would be considered a secutiry violation and not an attempt to fix security.